PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: If we want to be Super, those initials should mean "team only"

tk13
02-02-2006, 02:22 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13769578.htm

If we want to be Super, those initials should mean ‘team only’
JASON WHITLOCK
Kansas City Star

DETROIT — Wednesday morning I was riding up an escalator inside the Renaissance Center, media headquarters for Super Bowl XL, when another sportswriter asked me where I worked.

“Kansas City,” I said.

“Oh, you guys will get here someday,” the man quipped in a serious, sympathetic tone.

Yes, it’s reached that point. People feel sorry for us. They respect Kansas City’s pursuit of sports’ greatest championship and empathize with the futility of our effort.

I’m just a sportswriter paid to chronicle Lamar Hunt’s and Carl Peterson’s annual Super Bowl bid. Imagine what Peterson hears on a daily basis when he ventures out into public.

The innocent and not-so-innocent comments of fans, media and football peers could easily drive Peterson crazy, or at least drive him to the point where he would consider pursuing Terrell Owens.

Don’t read that the wrong way. I’m not blasting Peterson for admitting to a reporter that he’ll have a conversation with his new football coach, Herm Edwards, about the possibility of signing America’s No. 1 out-of-work wide receiver.

Given the length of Peterson’s tenure in Kansas City and lack of Super Bowl appearances, it makes perfect sense for Peterson to contemplate a dramatic philosophy change. And given Edwards’ proven ability to manage and communicate with NFL problem children, the Chiefs’ interest in Owens is even more understandable. Throw in AFC West rival Denver’s fascination with Owens, and it really becomes a no-brainer for Peterson and Edwards to analyze the possibility of T.O.

I just hope they don’t do it. Owens is an unnecessary risk in Kansas City. Before I go further, let me clarify. If the Chiefs do recruit Owens to Kansas City, you won’t read an angry, anti-T.O. harangue from this columnist. I’d view T.O. with the same, open-minded approach I’ve long begged football people to take with Jeff George. There’s a chance that Owens’ latest catastrophe caused him to mature.

However, I have my doubts.

More than that, this year’s Super Bowl contenders — Seattle and Pittsburgh — stand as a reminder that old-school football values about team chemistry, running the ball and playing defense still have major relevance. The Seahawks and the Steelers are a perfect representation of teams in harmony, teams sharing the spotlight and players pulling for each other. Neither team has a real superstar wide receiver. Pittsburgh’s Hines Ward is close, but he’s the ultimate anti-look-at-me receiver.

Peterson should not allow his justifiable desperation to force him into making an out-of-character decision. Terrell Owens is not a Carl Peterson-type player. KC’s interest in Owens is driven by Edwards’ belief that he can “handle” Owens.

Owens is far different from Warren Sapp and Ty Law, high-maintenance players Edwards “handled” in the past. I know Sapp and Law. I followed their careers in college and throughout the pros. As amateurs, they played in championship atmospheres at Miami and Michigan, respectively, and they gave consistent championship-caliber efforts while there. Owens played college ball at Tennessee-Chattanooga, where his physical talents allowed him to do whatever he pleased.

Edwards can’t handle Owens. Only Owens can handle Owens. And Owens’ ability to control his destructive tendencies is a day-to-day proposition.

Edwards needs to build the offense around Larry Johnson and Tony Gonzalez. The Chiefs need an unselfish, Hines Ward-type receiver — maybe San Francisco free agent Brandon Lloyd — to play alongside Johnson and Gonzalez. The personality of KC’s offense comes from its offensive line. T.O. wouldn’t fit in.

If the Chiefs want to take a chance in free-agency, I’ll repeat my chant from a year ago: Go get Ty Law. Kansas City’s defense could use Law’s toughness and know-how.

keg in kc
02-02-2006, 02:24 AM
Damnit Whitlock, support TO. Stop keeping the black man down.

Hammock Parties
02-02-2006, 02:24 AM
Great article except the last line. We don't need another high-dollar corner.

greg63
02-02-2006, 02:28 AM
My reaction to this article is as...

Oh, never mind.

Miles
02-02-2006, 02:37 AM
Great article except the last line. We don't need another high-dollar corner.

No shit thats the last thing we need. If for some odd reason he were cheap then it would make sense, otherwise I would just hurt more needed additions.

Hammock Parties
02-02-2006, 02:38 AM
Personally I think all this T.O. talk is a slap in the face to Eddie Kennison.

Jim Jones
02-02-2006, 03:06 AM
I hate Whitlock, but he's right. Owens is the last thing we need. As cliche as it is to say, the teams like Pittsburgh, New England, Seattle, etc. (that really live by the TEAM concept) are the ones who end up playing in January.

So while Owens may be exciting for a while, it will ultimately end horribly. It always does for him, he wears out his welcome very quickly. You don't need a elite WR to win a superbowl, and that continues to be proven year after year.

Mecca
02-02-2006, 03:11 AM

I hope you're kidding, we may have the worst starting WR's in the entire NFL...........

I could say Eddie Kennison being a number 1 WR is a slap in the face to the rest of the NFL.

Jim Jones
02-02-2006, 03:17 AM
I hope you're kidding, we may have the worst starting WR's in the entire NFL...........

I could say Eddie Kennison being a number 1 WR is a slap in the face to the rest of the NFL.

Eddie Kennison isn't great, but are we losing because of him? Are we losing because of our lack of a great WR? We score as much as anyone in the NFL, that's certainly no the problem.

We're losing because of our lack of a defense. Until we address that it doesn't matter what we do. No position on offense is pressing enough to pay T.O. the money he wants, and put up with all his off the field BS. it's not worth it, especially to this team.

Aside from all that. Herm with T.O.? GIVE ME A BREAK. That would be pitiful to watch. T.O. would walk all over him like he wasn't even there.

Mecca
02-02-2006, 03:21 AM
Eddie Kennison isn't great, but are we losing because of him? Are we losing because of our lack of a great WR? We score as much as anyone in the NFL, that's certainly no the problem.

We're losing because of our lack of a defense. Until we address that it doesn't matter what we do. No position on offense is pressing enough to pay T.O. the money he wants, and put up with all his off the field BS. it's not worth it, especially to this team.

Aside from all that. Herm with T.O.? GIVE ME A BREAK. That would be pitiful to watch. T.O. would walk all over him like he wasn't even there.

List me these awesome defensive free agents this year........oh that's right there aren't many. The ones that are out there are going to be more expensive than Owens.

Owens value isn't what you may think it is after the damage he did to himself and his age. Owens may be the best player for the money available this year....

Is our defense bad? Yes, but 1 player isn't going to have a great impact on our defense not like Owens would for our offense.

Miles
02-02-2006, 03:22 AM

I actually think that Kennison is a pretty decent WR. While he is by no means a great WR is isn't bad either. Probably at the top of the bottom third in the league for #1 WRs.

I see most of our WR problem being the complete lack of depth after Kennison. I guess Parker may improve but having Horn as a #3 really shows how bad our WRs really are.

keg in kc
02-02-2006, 03:24 AM
Our offense has just been as responsible for individual losses the two years as the defense has. Inability to run out the clock at key moments, game-changing turnovers, odd games where they can't do anything with the ball. Don't get too caught up with stats. A lot of the time the offense has been style over substance.

Hammock Parties
02-02-2006, 03:24 AM

I am tired of defending our wide receivers. So I am just going to say F*CK YOU!

Mecca
02-02-2006, 03:25 AM
I actually think that Kennison is a pretty decent WR. While he is by no means a great WR is isn't bad either. Probably at the top of the bottom third in the league for #1 WRs.

I see most of our WR problem being the complete lack of depth after Kennison. I guess Parker may improve but having Horn as a #3 really shows how bad our WRs really are.

Eddie Kennison would be a good #2 complimentary WR, with Parker moving to the slot. Chris Horn would make a nice janitor..........

Mecca
02-02-2006, 03:30 AM

I'm tired of us having shitty WR's for my entire lifetime.......so F*CK YOU!.

Miles
02-02-2006, 03:32 AM
Eddie Kennison would be a good #2 complimentary WR, with Parker moving to the slot. Chris Horn would make a nice janitor..........

I think Kennison is kind of one of those that is between a #1 and #2 but yeah he is best as a #2. Agree on the others. I haven't written off Parker yet but he definitly seems to be a slot WR as a deep threat. Horn couldnt be more of a waterboy.

Jim Jones
02-02-2006, 03:35 AM
List me these awesome defensive free agents this year........oh that's right there aren't many. The ones that are out there are going to be more expensive than Owens.

Owens value isn't what you may think it is after the damage he did to himself and his age. Owens may be the best player for the money available this year....

Is our defense bad? Yes, but 1 player isn't going to have a great impact on our defense not like Owens would for our offense.

- I don't have the list of Free Agents in front of me, so I'm not sure who's exactly available. I'm sure there's plenty of great talent on D available though.

- Owens value is going to be more than what you think it is. First of all, Miami and Denver are really showing strong interest in him, then you've got Washington and Dallas, now if Daniel Snyder or Jerry Jones really want him, they'll pay top dollar, and even if they don't want him they'll bluff like they do and drive the price up for whoever does sign him. Trust me, T.O. is still gonna get a hefty deal.

- WHAT impact is Owens going to have on this team? I can't imagine a positive lockerroom impact, and while he may bring some excitement to the field, how is it helping the team? It's adding something we don't need. Do we need to score MORE points? Did you sit back after watching games this year and say, "Boy we'd be in the Superbowl if only our offense was better" ?

Let me put it in simpler terms for you. I like cars so I'll use cars.. you have a car with a kickass engine i'm talking top of the line.. but the car has a really shitty interior.. no stereo, torn up seats, dashboard is all f'd up, outside looks like garbage.. paint is peeling, rims are rusted.. what are you gonna do? Are you gonna keep adding to the engine, or are you going to let the rest of the car match the power of the engine, to give it the complete package?

Yeah I know, weird analogy, but it makes sense, at least to me... Our offense is top of the line, it doesnt need upgrading.. the defense is what's dragging us down.

Miles
02-02-2006, 03:36 AM

Rison and Alexander (when whe didnt need him to win games) were not complete crap. That Kennison my be better than both of those shows how bad our WRs have been for a long time.

Mecca
02-02-2006, 03:48 AM
- I don't have the list of Free Agents in front of me, so I'm not sure who's exactly available. I'm sure there's plenty of great talent on D available though.

- Owens value is going to be more than what you think it is. First of all, Miami and Denver are really showing strong interest in him, then you've got Washington and Dallas, now if Daniel Snyder or Jerry Jones really want him, they'll pay top dollar, and even if they don't want him they'll bluff like they do and drive the price up for whoever does sign him. Trust me, T.O. is still gonna get a hefty deal.

- WHAT impact is Owens going to have on this team? I can't imagine a positive lockerroom impact, and while he may bring some excitement to the field, how is it helping the team? It's adding something we don't need. Do we need to score MORE points? Did you sit back after watching games this year and say, "Boy we'd be in the Superbowl if only our offense was better" ?

Let me put it in simpler terms for you. I like cars so I'll use cars.. you have a car with a kickass engine i'm talking top of the line.. but the car has a really shitty interior.. no stereo, torn up seats, dashboard is all f'd up, outside looks like garbage.. paint is peeling, rims are rusted.. what are you gonna do? Are you gonna keep adding to the engine, or are you going to let the rest of the car match the power of the engine, to give it the complete package?

Yeah I know, weird analogy, but it makes sense, at least to me... Our offense is top of the line, it doesnt need upgrading.. the defense is what's dragging us down.

I understand all of your points.............but can you honestly say that WR isn't a need position on this team.

John Abraham might be available but a bunch of people around here don't want to spend money on him either..........There really aren't alot of big defensive free agents this year.

Jim Jones
02-02-2006, 03:57 AM
I understand all of your points.............but can you honestly say that WR isn't a need position on this team.

John Abraham might be available but a bunch of people around here don't want to spend money on him either..........There really aren't alot of big defensive free agents this year.

No, WR isn't a need position. Now understand what I'm saying, I'm not trying to say our WR's are great, they clearly aren't. It's not a need position because I don't think it's negatively effecting our team, or keeping us from moving to the next level. We are a top level offense without the #1 WR. So while we could use a WR, we don't NEED one.

Now I'm not saying throw a ton of money at one guy on D either, that's not the way to build a winning team. Throwing money at Owens isn't going to get us to the SB, and neither will throwing money at someone on D. But our offense is already there.. we make a few good signings on D, and they don't all have to be big name huge pricetag guys, just good players that fill needs on our defense, then have a solid draft and we're right in the thick of things. We can pick up a WR like Santonio Holmes or Chad Jackson in the draft.

Mecca
02-02-2006, 03:57 AM
We've drafted so poorly on defense and signed the wrong guys in free agency. We spent a ton of money on defense last year and didn't improve very much.

It's going to take several years for this defense to be good. There isn't one player out there that's going to make the diference on defense for us. We need almost an entire defensive line.

My personal opinion is by the time this defense is good all of our good offensive players will be gone.

I'd rather draft defense, but I think Owens is the smarter move in free agency. Pointing out that our passing attack has been fine in the past is fine and dandy but, Kennison is our only productive WR and he's getting old. The Chiefs have neglected getting a WR for years.

We tried to buy a defense last year and it didn't work, I seriously doubt it's going to work this year.

Mecca
02-02-2006, 04:01 AM
No, WR isn't a need position. Now understand what I'm saying, I'm not trying to say our WR's are great, they clearly aren't. It's not a need position because I don't think it's negatively effecting our team, or keeping us from moving to the next level. We are a top level offense without the #1 WR. So while we could use a WR, we don't NEED one.

Now I'm not saying throw a ton of money at one guy on D either, that's not the way to build a winning team. Throwing money at Owens isn't going to get us to the SB, and neither will throwing money at someone on D. But our offense is already there.. we make a few good signings on D, and they don't all have to be big name huge pricetag guys, just good players that fill needs on our defense, then have a solid draft and we're right in the thick of things. We can pick up a WR like Santonio Holmes or Chad Jackson in the draft.

Well let's think about this..........Would you consider it sad that USC has 3-4 WR's on it's roster that would START for the Chiefs. A college team has better WR depth than we do.........

Jim Jones
02-02-2006, 04:05 AM
You make "buy a defense" sound so bad. I'm not saying buy a defense. Last year was horrible, they just found big name guys and threw big bucks at them. I specifically stated that I am NOT advocating we do that. There's two ways to go about free agency, blindly throwing money at big name guys who can't help your team (2005) or getting a coaching staff who knows what to go after, and pinpointing it in free agency and draft. That doesn't necessarily mean all big names, it means good players who fit the scheme. You are one of these guys who seems to be blinded by stardom, you keep mentioning how there's no "big free agents" on D this year.. well who cares? We don't need another Kendrell Bell, we need a good player who fits our scheme.

I know our WR's aren't great, but once again I ask, are the WR's adversly affecting our team? It's not a NEED position.. a need position is a position that is negatively affecting your team, that is causing your team to lose games. WR is NOT causing us to lose games.

Mecca
02-02-2006, 04:14 AM
You make "buy a defense" sound so bad. I'm not saying buy a defense. Last year was horrible, they just found big name guys and threw big bucks at them. I specifically stated that I am NOT advocating we do that. There's two ways to go about free agency, blindly throwing money at big name guys who can't help your team (2005) or getting a coaching staff who knows what to go after, and pinpointing it in free agency and draft. That doesn't necessarily mean all big names, it means good players who fit the scheme. You are one of these guys who seems to be blinded by stardom, you keep mentioning how there's no "big free agents" on D this year.. well who cares? We don't need another Kendrell Bell, we need a good player who fits our scheme.

I know our WR's aren't great, but once again I ask, are the WR's adversly affecting our team? It's not a NEED position.. a need position is a position that is negatively affecting your team, that is causing your team to lose games. WR is NOT causing us to lose games.

Problem is what we need on defense are the hardest and most expensive players to find. You don't just go out and find DE's and DT's.

Miles
02-02-2006, 04:18 AM
Problem is what we need on defense are the hardest and most expensive players to find. You don't just go out and find DE's and DT's.

Yep those position are pretty damn hard to fill on the FA market in any year. Its not like there are any Javon Kerse types this year on the market.

Rausch
02-02-2006, 04:57 AM

After having a chance to meet the guy the only thing that would be a slap in the face would be not having a ring.

He's class. Great guy, great personality.

And a probowl WR opposite him would allow him to rip the ass right out of a defense...

kcxiv
02-02-2006, 06:06 AM
Personally I think all this T.O. talk is a slap in the face to Eddie Kennison.So what, its a buisness first. He is a grown man, he should be able to handle it.

Any time you have a chance to improve your team, you have to at least look at the situation. Chiefs have that with T.O. Regardless if he is signed or not. You still have to think think about it. He may not get a big contract, its giong to be nothing but incentive based anyways. YOu have to look at it.

Hammock Parties
02-02-2006, 06:25 AM
So what, its a buisness first. He is a grown man, he should be able to handle it.

Yeah, it's a business. And he has done EVERYTHING the Chiefs have asked of him. He's consistent as hell the last two years.

kcxiv
02-02-2006, 06:29 AM
Yeah, it's a business. And he has done EVERYTHING the Chiefs have asked of him. He's consistent as hell the last two years.
And thats great for him. I am glad he got his life together. Football is an evil buisness. He is a grown man, he can handle it.

the Talking Can
02-02-2006, 06:30 AM
TO is still sexy enough to make you throw your principles out the window.

It would insure a wild 2006 season. But how would the players (OL)/coaches/fans react the first time TO is on the sideline yelling at Trent?

Or what if Roaf goes down again and our pass offense falls apart. Or, god forbid, Trent gets injured. Could TO handle that? Doubt it.

But there is always a "but..."...the guy is a certifiable star WR, top 3...in the end, I don't see us seriously pursuing him.

But...who knows what Herm is really thinking.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-02-2006, 06:49 AM
I wonder if getting a player to come to KC is a hard sell. DV brought the Chiefs alot of exposure that Herm will not. I wonder if the TO chase is more about keeping KC in the NFL news updates, making KC seem more attractive to other players

htismaqe
02-02-2006, 06:54 AM

So we just give up on finding one and instead waste all of our available cap space on the LAST GUY ON EARTH we need?

Yes, we have poor WR's. Yes, we've still had THE BEST offense in the NFL WITH them.

I can't believe any of you would consider signing Terrell Owens after what he did in Philadelphia. Unbelievable.

I want to support this new coaching staff, and I've worked hard to get past the retention of Gunther, but if they do something stupid like this, it may be the last straw.

Hammock Parties
02-02-2006, 06:55 AM
The other thing this does is stunt the growth of Samie Parker. He has demonstrated he can be a starter in this league. He needs more experience.

Inspector
02-02-2006, 07:18 AM
Denver is going to end up paying a bundle for T.O.

hehehehe

Carl and Herm are playing this pretty good.

Mecca
02-02-2006, 07:41 AM
The other thing this does is stunt the growth of Samie Parker. He has demonstrated he can be a starter in this league. He needs more experience.

We've had bad WR's so long, people actually think Parker can be a viable starter in the NFL..........Parker is cut out to be a slot WR, not a starter.

Fat Elvis
02-02-2006, 07:41 AM
Damnit Whitlock, support TO. Stop keeping the black man down.

Uh, that would be McNabb complaining about all criticisms being racist in origin.

Mecca
02-02-2006, 07:51 AM
So we just give up on finding one and instead waste all of our available cap space on the LAST GUY ON EARTH we need?

Yes, we have poor WR's. Yes, we've still had THE BEST offense in the NFL WITH them.

I can't believe any of you would consider signing Terrell Owens after what he did in Philadelphia. Unbelievable.

I want to support this new coaching staff, and I've worked hard to get past the retention of Gunther, but if they do something stupid like this, it may be the last straw.

This team is years from having a championship caliber defense......we need 3 startling Dlineman 2 safeties, probably atleast 1 CB, and maybe an OLB.

Unless team is gonna go out and drop money on Grady Jackson and John Abraham. Then pray we can net 2 more starters in the first 2 rounds of the draft I don't see any massive improvement in the defense.

Coaching or no coaching it takes talent to get the job done, fact remains we don't have the talent up front to even be a good defense.

I don't think our offensive production is going to sit at the top of the NFL every year if we don't ever do anything to upgrade it. WR has been a weak spot on this team for years. When's the last time we had an elite pro bowl caliber WR? I doubt I was even born at the time.

Eddie Kennison is a nice story and was a good find, but he shouldn't be anyones number 1 WR. Even a horrible team like Houston has a legit number 1 WR.

Dislike Owens all you want, he's not Moss, he doesn't tank plays on the field. Owens is probably the best all around WR in the game, he blocks goes over the middle does it all on the field. I think people get to caught up in Owens persona and just dislike him.

I do not know Owens personally, he is not my buddy. Aslong as the players on the team like him, he can say and do whatever he wants. I get rather tired of this "the players need to be nice" or "the players are our buddies" attitude alot of people have. I wanna win games, I don't care if not everyone on our team is Mr. Nice guy.

As I stated before I believe by the time this defense is good enough to go to a Superbowl, most of the good offensive players won't be here anymore. So we might aswell try to beat teams by outscoring them......

Chief Henry
02-02-2006, 07:59 AM
Let T.O. and his problems go to Denver where he can screw with Plummers head.

KCTitus
02-02-2006, 08:02 AM
...If the Chiefs do recruit Owens to Kansas City, you won’t read an angry, anti-T.O. harangue from this columnist. I’d view T.O. with the same, open-minded approach I’ve long begged football people to take with Jeff George...

LOL...I couldnt help but laugh and appreciate the irony. It's very rare that Jason DOESNT write an angry column haranging someone for something.

shakesthecat
02-02-2006, 08:07 AM
but if they do something stupid like this, it may be the last straw.

And you were calling folks who complained about TomCash yesterday crybaby's?

Hoover
02-02-2006, 08:11 AM
Why spend all the coin on a problem child like TO when we could pick up a dude like Eric Moulds?

TEX
02-02-2006, 08:15 AM

Very well said sir! :clap:

It's soooooooo FKN UNBELIEVABLE that we'd even consider it. That guy is cancer to cancer. let him go somewhere else.

Hammock Parties
02-02-2006, 08:24 AM
We've had bad WR's so long, people actually think Parker can be a viable starter in the NFL..........Parker is cut out to be a slot WR, not a starter.

You're FOS.

Parker will hit 1,000 yards this next season, barring injury.

Hammock Parties
02-02-2006, 08:25 AM
Eddie Kennison is a nice story and was a good find, but he shouldn't be anyones number 1 WR. Even a horrible team like Houston has a legit number 1 WR.

You've done a great job of destroying your own argument!

Mecca
02-02-2006, 08:29 AM
You've done a great job of destroying your own argument!

What that Kennisons a 2 and Parkers a 3? If Parker gets 1000 yards I'll eat my shoe.

TEX
02-02-2006, 08:31 AM
You're FOS.

Parker will hit 1,000 yards this next season, barring injury.

Put me in the camp that says he won't.

Mike in SW-MO
02-02-2006, 08:35 AM
I believe Peterson said something along the lines of 1-year incentive-laden contract.

So if you want him here .... Don't get your hopes up.

If you don't want him here .... Don't worry.

TO will be looking for a big signing bonus somewhere.

For those that would like to see him elsewhere, remember what he did for Philly in that first year. He was awesome. Short passes, long passes, screens, reverses, downfield blocking. It didn't matter, TO did it all.

For 1 year. Then the ME returned.

I think it would be incredible to have TO for a 1-year contract.

If he goes to Denver, they will be unstoppable that first year. In the second year, every mistake Plummer makes will be brought up and thrown in his face. Every questionnable call by Shannahan will be thrown back at him.

I love TO in Denver in year 2.

I just figured it out.

TO is Joan Collins.

Otter
02-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Maybe wings will sprout out my ass and I won't have to drive to work anymore. Wouldn't that be wonderfull.

Keep buying those powerball, I mean season, tickets.

htismaqe
02-02-2006, 03:05 PM

Thanks for that. Let us know what you see at the scouting combine, too. You are a professional scout right?

htismaqe
02-02-2006, 03:10 PM
And you were calling folks who complained about TomCash yesterday crybaby's?

Yes, as a matter of fact I was.

I'm trying to figure out how my dislike of the pursuit of Terrell Owens has anything to do with the fact that some around here act like a clique of 7th-grade girls...

htismaqe
02-02-2006, 03:11 PM
This team is years from having a championship caliber defense......we need 3 startling Dlineman 2 safeties, probably atleast 1 CB, and maybe an OLB.

Unless team is gonna go out and drop money on Grady Jackson and John Abraham. Then pray we can net 2 more starters in the first 2 rounds of the draft I don't see any massive improvement in the defense.

Coaching or no coaching it takes talent to get the job done, fact remains we don't have the talent up front to even be a good defense.

I don't think our offensive production is going to sit at the top of the NFL every year if we don't ever do anything to upgrade it. WR has been a weak spot on this team for years. When's the last time we had an elite pro bowl caliber WR? I doubt I was even born at the time.

Dislike Owens all you want, he's not Moss, he doesn't tank plays on the field. Owens is probably the best all around WR in the game, he blocks goes over the middle does it all on the field. I think people get to caught up in Owens persona and just dislike him.

I do not know Owens personally, he is not my buddy. Aslong as the players on the team like him, he can say and do whatever he wants. I get rather tired of this "the players need to be nice" or "the players are our buddies" attitude alot of people have. I wanna win games, I don't care if not everyone on our team is Mr. Nice guy.

As I stated before I believe by the time this defense is good enough to go to a Superbowl, most of the good offensive players won't be here anymore. So we might aswell try to beat teams by outscoring them......

So you're one of those still clinging to the myth that we can win a Super Bowl in spite of our defense if we just keep adding Pro Bowlers to the offense...

tk13
02-02-2006, 03:25 PM
I don't think we're THAT far away from being a good D... just gotta use the guys we have right. And usually, I think some of the best D-line FA signings are the under the radar ones... like a Bertrand Berry or Reggie Heyward or that VandenBosch for Tennessee. Even for us, Lional Dalton was a solid signing... didn't cost us a bunch and we got more out of him than these teams that threw more money at him did...

Coogs
02-02-2006, 03:27 PM
So you're one of those still clinging to the myth that we can win a Super Bowl in spite of our defense if we just keep adding Pro Bowlers to the offense...

So you are saying Gun needs another shopping list of Pro-Bowlers to add to last years list of Pro-Bowlers?

Chiefs Pantalones
02-02-2006, 03:33 PM
Can TO play DE or DT?

CoMoChief
02-02-2006, 03:42 PM
He thinks Brandon Lloyd is unslefish?!?!? LOL That guy is by far the biggest asshole ego-tystical.............welp, I'm not even gonna say it, but I think some of you here may know where Im going with this. I went to HS with the guy. Hell sign them both and maybe their asshole like qualities in both of them will cancel eachother out, heh.

Sure-Oz
02-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Kennison is a very solid #2!

htismaqe
02-02-2006, 06:52 PM
So you are saying Gun needs another shopping list of Pro-Bowlers to add to last years list of Pro-Bowlers?

Yep, that's what I'm saying.

Perhaps if we had gotten a real defensive coordinator, we could afford to stand pat a little bit and add someone like TO to the offense...

htismaqe
02-02-2006, 06:53 PM
I don't think we're THAT far away from being a good D... just gotta use the guys we have right. And usually, I think some of the best D-line FA signings are the under the radar ones... like a Bertrand Berry or Reggie Heyward or that VandenBosch for Tennessee. Even for us, Lional Dalton was a solid signing... didn't cost us a bunch and we got more out of him than these teams that threw more money at him did...

IIRC, neither Bertrand Berry or Reggie Hayward were cheap.

Mile High Mania
02-02-2006, 07:02 PM
I believe Berry and Hayward each received 5 yr $25M deals of some kind with $10M bonuses, IIRC.

tk13
02-02-2006, 07:17 PM
Yeah, Berry got a 5 year deal, $5 million signing bonus. Hayward got a 5 year deal, $10 million in guaranteed money. $3 million signing bonus, with a $4 million roster bonus last year and $3 million roster bonus this upcoming year. I didn't realize Hayward's contract was quite that big.

Dayze
02-02-2006, 07:49 PM
I think I may be on the TO bandwagon if we were close to a SB and only had an average RB and supporting cast - thus needing a scary threat on the outside each play.

however, I think with the emergence of LJ and Saunders out of the picture, I' not sure TO would be great fit here. Perhaps if Saunders was still around, but not now. No question the guy is a sick talent, but....

I dunno - I guess 'big risk, big reward'.

If it happended, I wouldn't be irritated by any means, but I just don't think the Cheifs should give up alot to get him. If he makes a connectin with Herm, etc....and WANTS to come here. Fine. Welcome aboard.

Thig Lyfe
02-02-2006, 07:57 PM
Just like with the Defensive play, if TO's attitude improves to even just sort-of a jackass, he'd be a huge boost to the team.

Iowanian
02-02-2006, 07:58 PM
I agree with alot of that article.

I'd Much prefer Brandon Lloyd over TnO.

Mecca
02-02-2006, 09:57 PM
I agree with alot of that article.

I'd Much prefer Brandon Lloyd over TnO.

Because we need more complimentary recievers instead of the #1.......

|Zach|
02-02-2006, 10:15 PM
Because we need more complimentary recievers instead of the #1.......
Under a good offense Lloyd could be a superstar in this league.

Mecca
02-02-2006, 10:20 PM

We could have had Lloyd to begin with, but our genius front office decided Brett Williams was a better pick........

Hammock Parties
02-03-2006, 03:13 AM

Uh oh....you sound like penchief.

tk13
02-03-2006, 03:16 AM
Uh oh....you sound like penchief.
Says the guy who rails against Herm like he blew up your family. :)

Hammock Parties
02-03-2006, 03:31 AM
Says the guy who rails against Herm like he blew up your family. :)

I'm the anti-penchief.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-03-2006, 03:49 AM
the Chiefs will be breaking in a first time OC, asking him to have to deal with TO is a bit much

Mecca
02-03-2006, 04:17 AM
the Chiefs will be breaking in a first time OC, asking him to have to deal with TO is a bit much

I'm sure having the top WR in the league would really hinder the ability to call a game.........

Miles
02-03-2006, 04:26 AM

He made quite a few highlight catches in a bad offense last year. Not sure about superstar but he could be a damn productive WR.