PDA

View Full Version : Gabe Watson, A Possible Top 10 Pick

Tribal Warfare
02-02-2006, 08:32 PM
http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/blog.cfm

Michigan defensive tackle Gabe Watson could be scratching the top 10 after the week he had in Mobile. These mocks have him in the lower edge of the first if not the second round. This is outrageous. We are talking about a player that was so dominating the coaches wanted to take him out of drills because offensive players couldn't get any constructive work done.
Remember, in 2003 defensive tackle Kevin Williams went from no-where (a projected third round pick on that Sunday previous) to being a top 10 after a dominating Senior Bowl week. Gabe Watson had just as good of a week and he didn't come out of nowhere. Scouts have known about him since he was 18, as he was one of the elite 5-star prep defensive tackle’s coming out of high school. Looking at him play he’s ridiculously athletic for a 340 pounder and several times during Senior Bowl week he defeated a double team and a fullback block to make the play on the running back in the backfield for a loss. You just don’t see stuff like that every day and you certainly don’t see it out of second round defensive tackle’s. All this talk about a poor work ethic is in our opinion more of a reflection on the stereotypes of the "fat defensive tackle" than a knock on Gabe Watson the individual. Go back a couple years and look at draft profiles of players like Sam Adams and Ted Washington, you will find the same claims of laziness. Every player making the jump from college to pros has to re-dedicate themselves and work harder than they have ever worked, in order to achieve success in the NFL. Gabe Watson is no different than every other prospect in the draft, he will have to work harder than he did in college there is no question about that. The point here is you can measure a man’s speed, his size, his strength – all of his physical attributes – but you can never accurately measure his character. It’s a leap of faith to give these guys huge sums of money before stepping on the field, but that’s not going to stop all 32 NFL teams from doing just that in the first round. In the grand scheme of things Gabe Watson is a rare commodity and a better bet than people are realizing.

Reaper16
02-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Somebody got a big payday via Gabe's agent...

Tribal Warfare
02-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Let's just hope IF KC can't get Hali, they'll trade down and get Watson. I'm convinced that there will be some real workout warriors that will push some big-time football players to the #20 spot.

Tribal Warfare
02-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Also in the vein of the Planet Theory

scouring the BB's much?

:hmmm:

htismaqe
02-03-2006, 08:51 AM
If somebody picks Watson in the top 10, they're gonna be sorry.

That's the worst possible situation for him. Millions of up front dollars after a stellar workout. That has the makings of a Ryan Sims-type bust...

Mr. Laz
02-03-2006, 02:28 PM
Gabe Watson, A Possible Top 10 Pick.
i doubt it ... Vince wilfork was way more highly touted and he fell to 21st.

at this point, Watson is a one dimensional player. He's a power nose tackle ala Gilbert Brown.

not that he's bad ... just one dimensional players tend to fall in the draft.

oaklandhater
02-08-2006, 01:04 AM
I'd take him if he was the at the 20th pick.

htismaqe
02-08-2006, 09:28 AM
I'd take him if he was the at the 20th pick.

If he's there at 20, I'd trade down and take him later.

RedThat
02-11-2006, 05:07 PM
If he's there at 20, I'd trade down and take him later.

That's if he is going to be there after 20th?

You never know.

But I do agree, trading down is the smart thing. Get some more draft picks. Especially since we lost a 4th for Herm.

htismaqe
02-12-2006, 12:39 PM
That's if he is going to be there after 20th?

You never know.

But I do agree, trading down is the smart thing. Get some more draft picks. Especially since we lost a 4th for Herm.

If he's available for sure.

But see, I wouldn't draft him at 20. Drafting that high, with it's associated guaranteed money, is going to be a problem, IMO.

Hammock Parties
02-12-2006, 12:41 PM
If he's available for sure.

But see, I wouldn't draft him at 20. Drafting that high, with it's associated guaranteed money, is going to be a problem, IMO.

You're saying any team drafting Gabe Watson in the first round is dumb?

jspchief
02-12-2006, 01:06 PM
You're saying any team drafting Gabe Watson in the first round is dumb?I think it's risky. I don't know about dumb.

htismaqe
02-12-2006, 01:07 PM
You're saying any team drafting Gabe Watson in the first round is dumb?

No, it's not dumb.

It's just a big risk, IMO.

I've watched this guy play ALOT, and alot of times he doesn't seem very motivated.

He seemed VERY motivated at the Senior Bowl and I question whether or not he's applying himself in order to get a big payday.