PDA

View Full Version : I love L.A.

Calcountry
02-03-2006, 11:44 AM
It should be pretty obvious to everyone here, that I am a California boy, one generation removed from Missouri.

Hate New York City
It's cold and it's damp
And all the people dressed like monkeys
Let's leave Chicago to the Eskimos
That town's a little bit too rugged
For you and me you bad girl

Rollin' down the Imperial Highway
With a big nasty redhead at my side
Santa Ana winds blowin' hot from the north
And we as born to ride

Roll down the window put down the top
Crank up the Beach Boys baby
Don't let the music stop
We're gonna ride it till we just can't ride it no more

From the South Bay to the Valley
>From the West Side to the East Side
Every body's very happy
'Cause the sun is shining all the time
Looks like another perfect day

I love L.A. (We love it)
I love L.A. (We love it)

Look at that mountain
Look at those trees
Look at that bum over there, man
He's down on his knees
Look at these women
There ain't nothin' like 'em nowhere

Century Boulevard (We love it)
Victory Boulevard (We love it)
Santa Monica Boulevard (We love it)
Sixth Street (We love it, we love it)

I love L.A.
I love L.A.
(We love it)

Brock
02-03-2006, 11:47 AM
Crenshaw! We love it!

mike_b_284
02-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Crenshaw! We love it!
ROFL

Calcountry
02-03-2006, 11:53 AM
Beverly Hills, we love it.

Frazod
02-03-2006, 11:53 AM
Talk to us after your house has slid into the f#cking ocean. :p

Brock
02-03-2006, 11:54 AM
El Segundo! We love it!

Clint in Wichita
02-03-2006, 11:54 AM
You do realize that Randy Newman wrote that song as an insult to the "typical" L.A. residents?

Of course, most people either don't know that or don't care...it's funny that LA has unofficially adopted it as its song.

Check out another song by Newman called "Rednecks". Hilarious.

Calcountry
02-03-2006, 11:56 AM
Talk to us after your house has slid into the f#cking ocean. :pThey have been saying that forever.

Katipan
02-03-2006, 11:57 AM
I miss home.

Calcountry
02-03-2006, 11:58 AM
I miss home.Where are you from?

Katipan
02-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Where are you from?

Born at UCLA. Spent my toddler years in Santa Monica. Grew up and graduated in the San Fernando Valley. Lived in Newport Beach for a little while before moving to Arizona. :)

Calcountry
02-03-2006, 12:03 PM
Born at UCLA. Spent my toddler years in Santa Monica. Grew up and graduated in the San Fernando Valley. Lived in Newport Beach for a little while before moving to Arizona. :)There is a cool old school Barber Shop in Santa Monica, they still have ash trays in the chairs, talk about boxing and chit while you get your hair cut. That the beach. Other than that, I don't have that many memories of the place. Usually, I am just somebodies guest there.

Katipan
02-03-2006, 12:10 PM
There is a cool old school Barber Shop in Santa Monica, they still have ash trays in the chairs, talk about boxing and chit while you get your hair cut. That the beach. Other than that, I don't have that many memories of the place. Usually, I am just somebodies guest there.

Theres just no describing that wonderful culture to people that get their Los Angeles knowledge from Boys in the Hood and Menace to Society.

In Scottsdale, you know who is rich. They ooze their finances from every pore of their body.

In Santa Monica... West Hollywood. Hell. Los Angeles... You dont always know. Some of the richest people I ever met looked like pot smoking bums.

I miss how casual and easy going the people are. I miss the culture and the night life. I miss the museums.

Damn. I wanna go home.

kepp
02-03-2006, 12:25 PM
Theres just no describing that wonderful culture to people that get their Los Angeles knowledge from Boys in the Hood and Menace to Society.

In Scottsdale, you know who is rich. They ooze their finances from every pore of their body.

In Santa Monica... West Hollywood. Hell. Los Angeles... You dont always know. Some of the richest people I ever met looked like pot smoking bums.

I miss how casual and easy going the people are. I miss the culture and the night life. I miss the museums.

Damn. I wanna go home.
Wow. It's amazing how different perspectives can be. I grew up in Missouri and moved to L.A. in '99 and I couldn't believe how uptight people were. I mean, sure, you have your zen/yoga crowd, but most of the people I saw were always in a huge hurry to get places.

Now, my wife grew up in L.A. (during the schoolyear - she spent her summers in Thailand w/her family) and she sees it a little more like you. But she likes life here in MO because life moves at a slower pace.

I do miss some things about L.A. - Mt. biking in the S.M. Mountains, Malibu Seafood, etc.

Calcountry
02-03-2006, 12:30 PM

Damn. I wanna go home.If my buddy rolled in his 70's VW van, you wouldn't know what kind of bank he was packing.

He has an apartment right off Wilshire in BH, and a house near Westwood.

That is where most of my experiences of L.A. come from.

You forgot to mention the quality of the food in L.A. Never have I been in a place that has as many high quality restaurants with good food choices.

Rausch
02-03-2006, 12:31 PM
I have a favorite song about LA, too!

Damn, beat me to it...

Calcountry
02-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Wow. It's amazing how different perspectives can be. I grew up in Missouri and moved to L.A. in '99 and I couldn't believe how uptight people were. I mean, sure, you have your zen/yoga crowd, but most of the people I saw were always in a huge hurry to get places.

Now, my wife grew up in L.A. (during the schoolyear - she spent her summers in Thailand w/her family) and she sees it a little more like you. But she likes life here in MO because life moves at a slower pace.

I do miss some things about L.A. - Mt. biking in the S.M. Mountains, Malibu Seafood, etc.That is like the grass is greener effect.

I dig "Missourah" too. The fishing is great there.

Donger
02-03-2006, 12:37 PM

Some say the end is near. Some say we'll see armageddon soon. I certainly hope we will. I sure could use a vacation from this bullshit three ring circus sideshow of Freaks here in this hopeless ****ing hole we call LA The only way to fix it is to flush it all away. Any ****ing time. Any ****ing day. Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay. Fret for your figure and Fret for your latte and Fret for your hairpiece and Fret for your lawsuit and Fret for your prozac and Fret for your pilot and Fret for your contract and Fret for your car. It's a bullshit three ring circus sideshow of freaks here in this hopeless ****ing hole we call LA The only way to fix it is to flush it all away. Any ****ing time. Any ****ing day. Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay. Some say a comet will fall from the sky. Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves. Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still. Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipshits. Some say the end is near. Some say we'll see armageddon soon. I certainly hope we will cuz I sure could use a vacation from this Silly shit, stupid shit... One great big festering neon distraction, I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied. Learn to swim. Mom's gonna fix it all soon. Mom's comin' round to put it back the way it ought to be. Learn to swim. **** L Ron Hubbard and **** all his clones. **** all those gun-toting Hip gangster wannabes. Learn to swim. **** retro anything. **** your tattoos. **** all you junkies and **** your short memory. Learn to swim. **** smiley glad-hands With hidden agendas. **** these dysfunctional, Insecure actresses. Learn to swim. Cuz I'm praying for rain and I'm praying for tidal waves I wanna see the ground give way. I wanna watch it all go down. Mom please flush it all away. I wanna watch it go right in and down. I wanna watch it go right in. Watch you flush it all away. Time to bring it down again. Don't just call me pessimist. Try and read between the lines. I can't imagine why you wouldn't Welcome any change, my friend. I wanna see it all come down. suck it down. flush it down.

Aha. The first crack appears.

bogie
02-03-2006, 01:06 PM
I grew up in Missouri. I spent my first 33 years there. I love Missouri and miss it at times. As of this month, I've lived is Southern California for 16 years. I have not regreted one minute of my move out here. I live in a nice little neighborhood in Studio City. The school system for my 7 year old is spectacular. Every 4th of July our neighborhood has our own little 4th of July parade. We walk through the streets waiving flags all dressed in red white and blue. I am walking distance from a little 9 hole par 3 golf course and driving range, walking distance from numerous great restaurants, Italian, Thai, Sushi, Pizza, burgers and many, many others. I can walk to our puplic library and a park for my 7 year that during the summer has live bands playing at night. I happened on to my own little heaven on earth. I am truely blessed. I too love LA.

StcChief
02-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Visit yes.
Live NFW.

KC Dan
02-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Grew up in Pasadena and Riverside. My mom still has houses there and when I go there to check on them, I realize why I never moved back - I F'N HATE SO.CAL!!!
Crack heads, crack whores, traffic, smog, expensive, Northern Mexico, it just blows completely. Decent enough place to visit but I would never live there again. I just wish my brother didn't live there. Only exception, Pacific Beach/Point Loma in San Diego - Great place!

Bugeater
02-03-2006, 01:12 PM
When did they move L.A. to Northern California?

Skip Towne
02-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Born at UCLA. Spent my toddler years in Santa Monica. Grew up and graduated in the San Fernando Valley. Lived in Newport Beach for a little while before moving to Arizona. :)
You're a Valley Girl? Gag me with a spoon.

Katipan
02-03-2006, 01:17 PM

I do miss some things about L.A. - Mt. biking in the S.M. Mountains, Malibu Seafood, etc.

Mid west people are awesome. If it wasn't for their all consuming need to know every detail about everyone's lives, I'd adore how warm and friendly they are.

I'm used to the whole everyone mind their own business thing of LA.

heh... I agree with you that everyone seems to be in a hurry. But I've always chalked that up to the knowledge that no matter where you want to go, you're going to have to spend an hour driving there. hahaah. In fact, the concept that I wouldn't have to commute an hour each way to work was foreign to me until I moved here.

Is there anything better than the shacks up and down PCH with fresh, hours old, seafood? siiiiigh. To eat seafood here, I have to drag my boyfriend to hoity toity restaraunts... Or its just not safe. :p

Katipan
02-03-2006, 01:18 PM
You're a Valley Girl? Gag me with a spoon.

And actually spent most of my formulative years at the Gallery (mall) that phrase started in.

cadmonkey
02-03-2006, 01:26 PM

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay.

Cuz I'm praying for rain and I'm praying for tidal waves I wanna see the ground give way. I wanna watch it all go down. Mom please flush it all away. I wanna watch it go right in and down. I wanna watch it go right in. Watch you flush it all away. Time to bring it down again. Don't just call me pessimist. Try and read between the lines. I can't imagine why you wouldn't Welcome any change, my friend. I wanna see it all come down. suck it down. flush it down.

F*ck ya!

http://toolshed.down.net/pix/sinkingla.gif

Demonpenz
02-03-2006, 01:27 PM
learn to swim learn to swim. damnit got that song in my head right now

58-4ever
02-03-2006, 01:28 PM

Some say the end is near. Some say we'll see armageddon soon. I certainly hope we will. I sure could use a vacation from this bullshit three ring circus sideshow of Freaks here in this hopeless ****ing hole we call LA The only way to fix it is to flush it all away. Any ****ing time. Any ****ing day. Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay. Fret for your figure and Fret for your latte and Fret for your hairpiece and Fret for your lawsuit and Fret for your prozac and Fret for your pilot and Fret for your contract and Fret for your car. It's a bullshit three ring circus sideshow of freaks here in this hopeless ****ing hole we call LA The only way to fix it is to flush it all away. Any ****ing time. Any ****ing day. Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay. Some say a comet will fall from the sky. Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves. Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still. Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipshits. Some say the end is near. Some say we'll see armageddon soon. I certainly hope we will cuz I sure could use a vacation from this Silly shit, stupid shit... One great big festering neon distraction, I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied. Learn to swim. Mom's gonna fix it all soon. Mom's comin' round to put it back the way it ought to be. Learn to swim. **** L Ron Hubbard and **** all his clones. **** all those gun-toting Hip gangster wannabes. Learn to swim. **** retro anything. **** your tattoos. **** all you junkies and **** your short memory. Learn to swim. **** smiley glad-hands With hidden agendas. **** these dysfunctional, Insecure actresses. Learn to swim. Cuz I'm praying for rain and I'm praying for tidal waves I wanna see the ground give way. I wanna watch it all go down. Mom please flush it all away. I wanna watch it go right in and down. I wanna watch it go right in. Watch you flush it all away. Time to bring it down again. Don't just call me pessimist. Try and read between the lines. I can't imagine why you wouldn't Welcome any change, my friend. I wanna see it all come down. suck it down. flush it down.

pretty much one of my favorite songs and the greatest band EVER.
They just finished the new CD!!!!

Katipan
02-03-2006, 01:28 PM
Ra is hoity toity? Awesome.

Lemme save money for a year and we can go to The Salt Cellar.

Donger
02-03-2006, 01:29 PM

Peh. Another Perfect Circle-esk one?

Demonpenz
02-03-2006, 01:31 PM
maybe the best cd to **** too.

Katipan
02-03-2006, 01:31 PM
I've never been to the Salt Cellar. I used to drive by it every day, too.

You realize now that you've mentioned it you don't have a chance in hell of waiting a year, right?

It's SUPER expensive. I'm happy with RA.

Donger
02-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Lateralus is not Perfect Circle-esque.

You didn't even listen to it. You're trusting a woman's opinion. Silly goose.

That's true.

Katipan
02-03-2006, 01:35 PM
What else am I going to spend my money on? A new deck?

Bribing the security guard to sneak me into Boomer's room when we go to training camp?

Katipan
02-03-2006, 01:36 PM
Bah... super expensive my ass.

http://www.savvydiner.com/menu/649/

I eat A LOT.

Katipan
02-03-2006, 01:39 PM
"Creme of Tiger penis - market value"

kepp
02-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Mid west people are awesome. If it wasn't for their all consuming need to know every detail about everyone's lives, I'd adore how warm and friendly they are.
Very true. I grew up in a town of 3000 where "everyone knows everyone...and their dog."
Is there anything better than the shacks up and down PCH with fresh, hours old, seafood? siiiiigh.
Oh yeah...we had an apartment in Malibu for a couple years about a mile from Surfrider beach and one of my best friends managed The Shores motel so we hung out there a lot. We'd play hooky from work and take the bike up to MSF or Neptune's Net. All of this was before we had our daughter, of course. She's 90% of the reason we moved back to MO.

cadmonkey
02-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Lateralus is not Perfect Circle-esque.

You didn't even listen to it. You're trusting a woman's opinion. Silly goose.

damn it, now I have to listen to it. I hope the guy next to me likes tool, seeing how I only play them loud!

Donger
02-03-2006, 01:41 PM
And I sprang from my slumber drenched in sweat like the tears of one million terrified brothers and roared, "Hear me now, I have seen the light! They have a consciousness, they have a life, they have a soul! Damn you! Let the rabbits wear glasses! Save our brothers!" Can I get an amen? Can I get a hallelujah? Thank you Jesus.

milkman
02-03-2006, 01:42 PM
I can't stand LA or the San Fernando valley.

Used to work down there, and I don't believe I ever made a stop, whether to make a delivery, or to pump gas, when I wasn't approached by a homeless person for money.

Irritating as hell.

KC Dan
02-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Do you plan on ordering this?
I just had (2) 1-1/2 lb Maine lobsters in Boston for $12.99 while there this week. Awesome!

sedated
02-03-2006, 01:48 PM

psh. I'll beleive that when I hear it.

that album was supposed to be out last year.

(but, like the giant turd dangling from the anal cavity, I'm eagerly awaiting it's release)

vailpass
02-03-2006, 01:51 PM
There is a cool old school Barber Shop in Santa Monica, they still have ash trays in the chairs, talk about boxing and chit while you get your hair cut. That the beach. Other than that, I don't have that many memories of the place. Usually, I am just somebodies guest there.

Those ashtrays must be a nice reminder of CA before it turned into the communist People's Republik of Kalifornia.
You try using one of those trays today and the Thought Police will have you in the avacado deprogramming room before you can say "individual liberties".

sedated
02-03-2006, 01:52 PM
Somewhere high in the desert near a curtain of a blue
St. Anne's skirts are billowing
But down here in the city of limelights
The fans of Santa Anna are withering
And you can’t deny that living is easy
If you never look behind the scenery
it's showtime for dry climes
And bedlam is dreaming of rain

When the hills of Los Angeles are burning
Palm trees are candles in the murder wind
So many lives on the breeze
Even the stars are ill at ease
And Los Angeles is burning

This is not a test
Of the emergency broadcast system
When Malibu fires and radio towers
Conspire to dance again
And I cannot believe the media Mecca
They're only trying to peddle reality
Catch it on prime time, story at nine
The whole world is going insane

A placard reads
"The end of days"
Jacaranda boughs are bending in the haze
More a question than a curse
How could hell be any worse?
The flames are stunning
The camera's running
So take warning

bogie
Like any city in the US, there are good areas and bad areas.

sedated
From toolband.com

propoganda the likes of which not even soviet russia could touch.

Bugeater
02-03-2006, 01:53 PM

I'm used to the whole everyone mind their own business thing of LA.

As if that bothered you, I'd be willing to bet most Planeteers know more about you and Endelt than their own family members.

phxchief
02-03-2006, 01:55 PM
You like L.A? Seriously?

I grew up in Anaheim and couldn't stand it in L.A.

Head directly East for a couple hours and check out Phx.

bogie
02-03-2006, 01:57 PM
There are terrific places to live in L.A. Phoenix is also a great place to live.

phxchief
02-03-2006, 01:58 PM
L.A was the only place south of Bakersfield that I didn't like much.

bogie
02-03-2006, 02:00 PM
I'm guessing there's quite bit of L.A. you haven't seen.

Katipan
You like L.A? Seriously?

I grew up in Anaheim and couldn't stand it in L.A.

Head directly East for a couple hours and check out Phx.

Phoenix has all the bad of L.A. and none of the good.

sedated
Oh yeah? Just what all do you know about Mer?

she has a thing for alcoholic computer dorks...

Bugeater
02-03-2006, 02:03 PM
Oh yeah? Just what all do you know about Mer?

I didn't say I was one of them. I have a lot of catching up to do.

Katipan
02-03-2006, 02:04 PM
As if that bothered you, I'd be willing to bet most Planeteers know more about you and Endelt than their own family members.

Granted this wouldn't happen in Kansas City. But the little towns in Iowa I've spent time in... Anywhere I go I'm gawked at like I have 10 tits.

It's like they don't realize girls really do come with naturally tanned skin.

It's as close to what i'd imagine a black girl would feel like. eh. Without the pitchforks and noose.

bogie
02-03-2006, 02:04 PM

I spent a couple of great winters in Phoenix, well, Scottsdale actually. I worked as a comedic cowboy at Rawhide. I was known as Tumbleweed McGuirk. Ahhh, good times. The people I met in Phoenix are cut from the same mold as midwest folks.

vailpass
02-03-2006, 02:05 PM
Granted this wouldn't happen in Kansas City. But the little towns in Iowa I've spent time in... Anywhere I go I'm gawked at like I have 0 tits.

Fixed it for ya'. :p

Katipan
02-03-2006, 02:05 PM
I spent a couple of great winters in Phoenix, well, Scottsdale actually. I worked as a comedic cowboy at Rawhide. I was known as Tumbleweed McGuirk. Ahhh, good times. The people I met in Phoenix are cut from the same mold as midwest folks.

That's because they are all from the midwest. :)

And that's right up the street from END and I :)

Katipan
02-03-2006, 02:06 PM
Fixed it for ya'. :p

Have I mentioned how much I hate Donger?

xoxo

Donger
02-03-2006, 02:07 PM
Have I mentioned how much I hate Donger?

xoxo

What did I do?

bogie
02-03-2006, 02:08 PM
This might be the funniest post I read all day.

Tumbleweed McGuirk. Awesome.

I was a funny guy back then. Although, I can't possibly compete with the humor on here.

vailpass
02-03-2006, 02:08 PM
What did I do?

Shut up. You know it was you. Be quiet. Move along.

cadmonkey
02-03-2006, 02:09 PM
Just one, really.

who is kissing you in your avy? and why are you ashamed to show her face?

Katipan
02-03-2006, 02:09 PM
Isn't Rawhide at Westworld? That's a little more than "right up the street".

If it's less than an hour commute. It's up the ****ing street.

dammit.

Donger
02-03-2006, 02:10 PM
Personally, I judge a city by the ease of reaching your rental car at the airport.

Phoenix never stood a chance.

bogie
02-03-2006, 02:11 PM
That's because they are all from the midwest. :)

And that's right up the street from END and I :)

When I was there Rawhide was out in the middle of nowhere. I'll bet it's pretty populated by now.

phxchief
02-03-2006, 02:12 PM

ROFL BS.

Traffic, pollution, shitty sports and fair-weather fans, violent crime, traffic, commuting culture, Hollywood, smog, uber-expensive housing, bums, traffic, general cost of living, self-absorbed morons, Arnold ****ing Schwarznegger, wannabe-gangsters, the 405 interchange.....

If Detroit is the joke and Newark is the armpit, L.A is the asshole.

Katipan
02-03-2006, 02:14 PM
When I was there Rawhide was out in the middle of nowhere. I'll bet it's pretty populated by now.

I played paintball across/DOWN the street from Rawhide.

heh. My Rawhide experience is limited to getting drunk and baked and wandering around during Halloween.

bogie
Personally, I judge a city by the ease of reaching your rental car at the airport.

Phoenix never stood a chance.

LAX is one of the most difficult airports to get in and out of. That's why I fly out of Burbank (Bob Hope airport) It about the same size as KC airport.

Donger
It's been years since I rented a car at Sky Harbor, but I don't remember it being that big of a hassle.

At least the counters are right there at the baggage claim. Not like f*cking St. Louis where I had to get on a bus and ride all over the airport picking up people before I even saw an Alamo employee.

It's bad, but certainly not the worst. I agree with St. Louis.

I also hate DFW and IAH, but mostly just because I hate being Texas.

Skip Towne
02-03-2006, 02:15 PM
What did I do?
And Donger goes into his "dumb act".

Katipan
02-03-2006, 02:16 PM
ROFL BS.

Traffic, pollution, shitty sports and fair-weather fans, violent crime, traffic, commuting culture, Hollywood, smog, uber-expensive housing, bums, traffic, general cost of living, self-absorbed morons, Arnold ****ing Schwarznegger, wannabe-gangsters, the 405 interchange.....

You just described Phoenix.

Donger
02-03-2006, 02:16 PM
LAX is one of the most difficult airports to get in and out of. That's why I fly out of Burbank (Bob Hope airport) It about the same size as KC airport.

Heh. LAX never bothered me. But, I usually fly out of SNA.

Donger
02-03-2006, 02:17 PM
And Donger goes into his "dumb act".

It's a joke, Skippy.

phxchief
02-03-2006, 02:17 PM

Yup, you don't know what the **** you're talking about. Thought so. :clap:

Katipan
02-03-2006, 02:18 PM
I like the Vegas airport.

ok maybe I just like the little train thingy.

Or maybe it's just that I like being in Vegas.

ahhh **** it.

vailpass
02-03-2006, 02:21 PM

ROFL My thoughts exactly. Throw in the world's worst drivers on the 101, a horrible public school system, 0 downtown scene, and a whole city that came from somewhere else and is going to move back there in a few years and you have the PHX.
Phoenix wants to be LA so bad its killing them but the more they try the less they are ever likely to capture the IT that is personality.

vailpass
02-03-2006, 02:22 PM

Check out the arena name in your "location" line and then tell us who doesn't know what they are talking about.

Katipan
02-03-2006, 02:24 PM

Well how do I combat such a witty comment??

Traffic?? The Broadway curve. I17 in the morning. the US60 until they JUST widened it. The 101 north of Indian Bend.

Pollution?? We've had 103958945 days of advisories. We were a national joke when our sky was more brown than blue. And that was like... What? 3 weeks ago?

Shitty sports? Come on now. The only time this town backed the Dbacks was when we had our WS run. The only time this town cares about the Suns is when they make the playoffs. Don't even make me describe the level of apathy for the Cardinals.

Violent crime? We have more and more dead mexicans in the desert every day. We're the number one city for stolen cars. Road rage involving guns is RAMPANT here. Every month there's a new rapist running around. One town in Glendale has like a child molester every 2 out of 3 houses.

you win with commuting and hollywood.

The housing market here right now is RETARDED. Our public servants can not afford to live in any decent neighborhood. THEY commute 45 minutes just to go save us from fires and bad people.

Self absorbed morons.... Spent any time in Scottsdale?

Arnold? ****ing JANET.

Wannabe gangsters? No. We have the real things imported from CA.

bogie
02-03-2006, 02:27 PM
ROFL BS.

Well obviously it's not for everyone. But, you're really generalizing.

phxchief
02-03-2006, 02:27 PM
Throw in the world's worst drivers on the 101

They're situated West a little.

a horrible public school system

Fewer than 40% of LA's HS graduates finished courses required for admission to Cali's university system, AND the region
ranked last among the nation’s largest urban regions for the percentage
of adults with at least high school diplomas.

I'll give you downtown.... the self-absorbed Hollywood actor/actress-wannabes that need to drive 100 miles to take a sh*t and smog the country out in the process.

http://www.usairwayscenter.com/start/
WTF?

vailpass
02-03-2006, 02:30 PM
I've had some good times downtown.

Then again... I've had good times in Rolla, MO, too. You give me enough booze and I'll pretty much enjoy myself anywhere.

I hear ya', I said that in comparison to Denver (LoDo), KC, LA or most other cities that have a thriving downtown presence to party, mingle, and get a little jingle.
Jackson Hole (or is it Jacksons on 3rd) used to be cool.

phxchief
02-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Well obviously it's not for everyone. But, you're really generalizing.

Generalzing what?

I like the state of Cali; I just didn't care for the "it scene" and most of the airheads in it (now THAT's a generalization).

vailpass
02-03-2006, 02:34 PM
I don't know that KC has all that thriving of a downtown.

I stayed there for a week a few years ago and some people took me to the little district, WTF was it called? Nothing world-shaking by any means but it was at least packed with younger party people who came to get down.

After sunset the people all drive away and they roll up the sidewalks in the downtown PHX so the homeless can move around more easily.

Skip Towne
02-03-2006, 02:35 PM
Let's compromise, people. LA and Phoenix are BOTH shitholes.

Donger
02-03-2006, 02:36 PM
Let's compromise, people. LA and Phoenix are BOTH shitholes.

ROFL

vailpass
02-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Westport?

Ding Ding Ding
Yes, Westport. Thank you.
A few restaurants and bars and some real nice people. Nothing big but at least it was somehwere for people to congregate, intoxicate, conversate, with an eye towards a later copulate.

RickObie
02-03-2006, 02:39 PM
I moved to San Diego in the mid 80's from KC, still miss KC (Chiefs, family atmoshere), but I sure love the San Diego weather, I'm going to get 9 holes in today (72 degrees and sunny right now), LA is 2 hours north, mexico is 45 minutes south, I can snow ski (1 1/2 north east), water ski, you get the point. Lots of pros, the negatives- housing market is out of control ($603,000 average cost of home in SD county), traffic sucks, not as bad as LA yet, but getting there.

Every place has its pros and cons!

Bugeater
02-03-2006, 02:39 PM
Violent crime? We have more and more dead mexicans in the desert every day. We're the number one city for stolen cars. Road rage involving guns is RAMPANT here. Every month there's a new rapist running around. One town in Glendale has like a child molester every 2 out of 3 houses.

Now that's a fact. My wife has family down there, her brother's car was stolen within a week of him moving there, and her uncle keeps his doors locked at all times, even in the middle of the day when he's home. And they both live in a nice area.

phxchief
02-03-2006, 02:46 PM
Isolated example. I can give you plenty of them.

LA's murder rate is two and a half times larger than NEW YORK's!

I'd feel safer cruising naked in South Detroit. At least if you're walking on a side street, you'd be slightly surprised if you're robbed.

If you're walking in a bad part of town and someone rolls up in a car next to you, odds are they aren't asking you for directions. Run first, ask questions never.

And Mexicans? You can't go anywhere without seeing, smelling, hearing, or, in some cases, tasting Mexicans in L.A.

phxchief
02-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Phoenix:
For population 25 years and over in Phoenix

* High school or higher: 76.6%
* Unemployed: 5.6%
* Mean travel time to work: 26.1 minutes

L.A:
For population 25 years and over in Los Angeles

* High school or higher: 66.6%
* Unemployed: 9.3%
* Mean travel time to work: 29.6 minutes

RickObie
02-03-2006, 02:55 PM
What's wrong with Mexicans?

Exactly, my wife is Mexican!

Katipan
02-03-2006, 02:56 PM
We certainly don't have any Mexicans in Phoenix.

phxchief
02-03-2006, 02:56 PM
And to respond to the robbery point:

Robberies per 100,000 in Los Angeles:
99: 390.0 00: 420.2 01: 464.6 02: 465.4 03: 448.7

Robberies per 100,000 in Phoenix:
99: 289.1 00: 284.9 01: 350.4 02: 308.5 03: 278.3

Bugeater
02-03-2006, 02:57 PM
Isolated example. I can give you plenty of them.

LA's murder rate is two and a half times larger than NEW YORK's!

I'd feel safer cruising naked in South Detroit. At least if you're walking on a side street, you'd be slightly surprised if you're robbed.

If you're walking in a bad part of town and someone rolls up in a car next to you, odds are they aren't asking you for directions. Run first, ask questions never.

And Mexicans? You can't go anywhere without seeing, smelling, hearing, or, in some cases, tasting Mexicans in L.A.

I'll grant you that is coming from someone who lives in Omaha where it's OK if you occasionally leave your front door unlocked overnight and you can leave your car running when you go into a c-store to grab a six pack. We have plenty of Mexicans here too, they don't cause too much trouble though. I just wish they paid taxes.

RickObie
02-03-2006, 02:57 PM
He must've had you in mind with the "tasting" comment.
ROFL

vailpass
02-03-2006, 02:58 PM

Dude, are you saying PHX is any different?
Better keep a lid on the whole Mexican thing here though as there are some few who will take up the banner of illegal immigrants and make it sound like you are a bad person for expecting the law to be followed.

vailpass
ROFL

phxchief

I don't have a "Mexican per 1000" (unfortunately :D) but, lets be fair, it's neglible, surely?

I overheard someone yapping about this topic the other day as if Phoenix is Mexico-north, but that's just not true. Not that it matters (easier to get a job here) but, ya know.

phxchief
02-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Dude, are you saying PHX is any different?

I'm saying it's EXACTLY (maybe not exactly) the same.... maybe I should've quoted, but that was just in response to the statement about Mexicans in Phoenix.

It isn't a NEGATIVE thing; it's just not that much different in either city.

phxchief
02-03-2006, 03:05 PM
I have absolutely no idea what phxchief's point is anymore.

Just explaining a few reasons why I didn't like L.A (not that I had any problems with crime or anything, luckily) and defending a few points raised against Phoenix.

It isn't perfect, and a few points I completely agree with, but it's not all bad, as it apparently was made out to be.

Katipan
02-03-2006, 03:05 PM
At first he was telling me that Phoenix isn't like LA. Then when I kicked his ass he realized he was being an asshole.

Donger
02-03-2006, 03:11 PM
It isn't a NEGATIVE thing; it's just not that much different in either city.

Oh. So you were saying that all the Mexicans are a positive thing?

phxchief
02-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Then when I kicked his ass he realized he was being an asshole.

ROFL

After you're done proclaiming victory and claiming "we're" the national joke when it comes to pollution, pull your head out of the (brown) clouds.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/04/28/air.pollution/
Los Angeles - most polluted.

Who'da thunk it. :rolleyes:

Katipan
02-03-2006, 03:16 PM
You know whats great is you keep yapping like I ever said Los Angeles was any better.

phxchief
02-03-2006, 03:16 PM
Just for the record, Phoenix was 18th.

As I said: not perfect (far from it), but not close to L.A, thankfully.

phxchief
02-03-2006, 03:17 PM
You know whats great is you keep yapping like I ever said Los Angeles was any better.

You said they're the same; I said L.A is worse.

http://www.citymayors.com/environment/polluted_uscities.html

Katipan
02-03-2006, 03:19 PM
You said they're the same; I said L.A is worse.

http://www.citymayors.com/environment/polluted_uscities.html

No, actually you said "BS" and then started describing Phoenix.

Then i flirted with END a little bit.

And now here we are.

KC Dan
02-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Then i flirted with END a little bit.

And now here we are.
The story of every Mer/Endelt posted upon thread.....

ROFL

phxchief
02-03-2006, 03:21 PM
No, actually you said "BS" and then started describing Phoenix.

Yeah, it's "BS" that they're the same.

Ahhh who cares. I just noticed the dude lives in Northen CA anyway. ROFL

Katipan
02-03-2006, 03:22 PM

ROFL BS.

Go get me a coffee and a bagel, bitch.

phxchief
02-03-2006, 03:24 PM
Go get me a coffee and a bagel, bitch.

"All of the bad" = THE SAME.

If you're saying it has ALL OF THE BAD then you're saying it's the same shit hole.

That's where the BS comes in, whether it's pollution or crime.

Again, ROFL ROFL ROFL . Maybe the education system is crappier here than I thought.

Katipan
02-03-2006, 03:25 PM
"All of the bad" = THE SAME.

If you're saying it has ALL OF THE BAD then you're saying it's the same shit hole.

That's where the BS comes in, whether it's pollution or crime.

No, Stupid. It means all the negative things they have in LA, we have here.

There's always going to be a top of the list. Thats why they make lists.

phxchief
02-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Hence my post about not knowing your point. Is it the same or not?

The cities aren't the same, that's where we began.

The point regarding Mexicans is where the confusion begins; i'm not saying L.A has more Meixcans or it's a bad thing, just that they have a lot like Phoenix.

phxchief
02-03-2006, 03:26 PM
No, Stupid. It means all the negative things they have in LA, we have here.

Read: same.

That coffee's getting cold.

Katipan
02-03-2006, 03:27 PM
I bet you can't find another person on this board that doesn't think you're swimming in shit right now.

phxchief
02-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Why bring up Mexicans at all if it doesn't support your overall point?

My Mexican comment was in response to the post concerning Mexican's in Phoenix, something someone else started.

phxchief
02-03-2006, 03:36 PM
It's somewhere back there (page 2, I guess). I can't even remember what it said now, something about Mexican's in the desert. My response (beginning "And Mexicans?") was simply trying to point out L.A's chock-full, too (like PHX); not rip 'em.

Katipan
02-03-2006, 03:37 PM
L.A. has dead Mexicans in the desert?

L.A. HAS A ****ING DESERT?

sd4chiefs
02-03-2006, 03:37 PM
I moved to San Diego in the mid 80's from KC, still miss KC (Chiefs, family atmoshere), but I sure love the San Diego weather, I'm going to get 9 holes in today (72 degrees and sunny right now), LA is 2 hours north, mexico is 45 minutes south, I can snow ski (1 1/2 north east), water ski, you get the point. Lots of pros, the negatives- housing market is out of control ($603,000 average cost of home in SD county), traffic sucks, not as bad as LA yet, but getting there.

Every place has its pros and cons!

I moved from KC to San Diego 10 years ago. I love it. I miss KC except for the jungle heat in the summer.

RickObie we should get together for golf sometime.

phxchief
02-03-2006, 03:38 PM
What does it matter if they have a desert or not. The point was the PEOPLE, not the ****ing land they live on.

Katipan
02-03-2006, 03:39 PM
What does it matter if they have a desert or not. The point was the PEOPLE, not the ****ing land they live on.

The point was dead illegals and crime.

Are you drunk?

RickObie
02-03-2006, 03:40 PM
I moved from KC to San Diego 10 years ago. I love it. I miss KC except for the jungle heat in the summer.

RickObie we should get together for golf sometime.

You're on!!

I don't miss the heat at all, when I go back I forget how I handled it then.

I'm in north county, Carlsbad area!

RickObie
02-03-2006, 03:41 PM

Are you drunk?

PhxChief is in a world of poop!! He's got some diggin to do to get himself out of this one!

phxchief
02-03-2006, 03:41 PM

Ok. Then forget Mexicans.

You want to talk about crime? Why did you ignore the crime #s above then? :shake:

sd4chiefs
02-03-2006, 03:42 PM
You're on!!

I don't miss the heat at all, when I go back I forget how I handled it then.

I'm in north county, Carlsbad area!

I will send you an e-mail

phxchief
Ignoring the point > making a mistake.

Dang, good trick.

Katipan
I can't keep doing this with you.

Everytime you have a question for me, just go re-read one of my other posts in this thread.

You'll find your answer.

phxchief
Yes. Now, back to the Irish...

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Inspector
I think there are some dead mexicans in Raytown.

vailpass
02-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Yes. Now, back to the Irish...

I saw a really pale guy singe the hair off his legs with a defective firework in Rocky Point. Does that count?

Katipan
02-03-2006, 04:01 PM
I saw a really pale guy singe the hair off his legs with a defective firework in Rocky Point. Does that count?

How come you haven't come out with us?

Do we stink?

vailpass
02-03-2006, 04:17 PM
How come you haven't come out with us?

Do we stink?

My Bronco-ness probably causes your man to break out in hives and throw (empty) beer mugs in a random pattern.

My wife and I like to go to dinner at places like Richardsons and then catch some drinks/music at Chez Nous or The Rhythm Room in Central PHX.

We live up north now but when we lived central I liked Maloneys and some of the other bars in that area with a end-of-night jello shot at the Coach House.

Boozer
02-03-2006, 04:20 PM
My Bronco-ness probably causes your man to break out in hives and throw (empty) beer mugs in a random pattern.

My wife and I like to go to dinner at places like Richardsons and then catch some drinks/music at Chez Nous or The Rhythm Room in Central PHX.

We live up north now but when we lived central I liked Maloneys and some of the other bars in that area with a end-of-night jello shot at the Coach House.

Chez Nous...that's a fun place to go for happy hour. Walking out of there when the sun's still up is an experience.

vailpass
02-03-2006, 04:24 PM
The Coach House kicks ass.

And it's a drunken stumble from my home.

A finer hang-out bar I do not know. God made that place for late-night drinking.

Katipan
02-03-2006, 04:26 PM

He does that anyways. :)

vailpass
02-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Chez Nous...that's a fun place to go for happy hour. Walking out of there when the sun's still up is an experience.

Hah! Exactly. Booze and smoke sudenly mixed with a cold sweat. Makes you want to turn around and go back in until it gets dark.

For some reason the movie 'Swingers' reminds of Chez Nous, or vice versa.

vailpass
02-03-2006, 04:27 PM
He does that anyways. :)

ROFL
Uh, NTTAWWT.

Boozer
02-03-2006, 04:29 PM
Hah! Exactly. Booze and smoke sudenly mixed with a cold sweat. Makes you want to turn around and go back in until it gets dark.

For some reason the movie 'Swingers' reminds of Chez Nous, or vice versa.

It looks like the kind of place that would host Marty and Elayne (the act playing "Stayin' Alive" at the Dresden in Swingers). I'm sure their actual musical acts are much better. At least, I hope.

DaneMcCloud
02-03-2006, 04:40 PM
It looks like the kind of place that would host Marty and Elayne (the act playing "Stayin' Alive" at the Dresden in Swingers). I'm sure their actual musical acts are much better. At least, I hope.

Often times when friends visit LA for the first time, my wife and I take them on a "Swinger's Tour". We'll go to 3 Clubs, Daddy's & the Dresden, then end up at the 101 for late night breakfast. We've seen Marty & Elaine on several occassions and they're exactly as they appear in the movie.

Granted this wouldn't happen in Kansas City. But the little towns in Iowa I've spent time in... Anywhere I go I'm gawked at like I have 10 tits.

My wife's Pinay and get's the same thing when we visit KC. Must be a Filipina thing?

Katipan
02-03-2006, 04:48 PM
My wife's Pinay and get's the same thing when we visit KC. Must be a Filipina thing?

Awesome!

I mean... The Flip wife. Not the gawking thing.

What island is she from? Maybe were cousins :p

DaneMcCloud
02-03-2006, 05:21 PM
Awesome!

I mean... The Flip wife. Not the gawking thing.

What island is she from? Maybe were cousins :p

She was born in Stockton, CA (THE Filipino captiol of the US, it seems) but her parents are from the Philippines. I'm not sure which island they're from (lame, I know) but they speak Illicano, not Tagalog. It seems like everyone that speaks Illicano is related somehow!

Calcountry
02-03-2006, 06:03 PM
When did they move L.A. to Northern California?Dude, I am 41 years old. Round round get arround, I get arround. I get arrroundd....

Calcountry
02-03-2006, 06:04 PM
You're a Valley Girl? Gag me with a spoon.LIke, dude, OMGawd, that is so 80's.

Calcountry
02-03-2006, 06:11 PM
Those ashtrays must be a nice reminder of CA before it turned into the communist People's Republik of Kalifornia.
You try using one of those trays today and the Thought Police will have you in the avacado deprogramming room before you can say "individual liberties".I think I said, "old school"

Calcountry
02-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Oh yeah? Just what all do you know about Mer?She must be easy if she likes you. :p

Skip Towne
02-03-2006, 06:27 PM
LIke, dude, OMGawd, that is so 80's.
So were the Valley Girls.

Calcountry
02-03-2006, 08:57 PM
Let's compromise, people. LA and Phoenix are BOTH shitholes.chit, I finally got a thread over 100, and I thought it would be a joke thread and go right to the bottom. Guess that officially makes me not a N00b now, right skip?

Skip Towne
02-03-2006, 09:00 PM
chit, I finally got a thread over 100, and I thought it would be a joke thread and go right to the bottom. Guess that officially makes me not a N00b now, right skip?
I'll rule on this at a later date.

Katipan
02-03-2006, 09:06 PM
She must be easy if she likes you. :p

Nah. Just drunk.

I'm sorry, love. It was just a joke. Don't be mad. Please dont start a thread complaining about me. Please.

Logical
02-03-2006, 09:16 PM
You forgot to mention the quality of the food in L.A. Never have I been in a place that has as many high quality restaurants with good food choices.I am suprised to hear you say this since you are from Northern CA, as I have found San Francisco to rival LA in that regard.

Calcountry
02-04-2006, 11:15 AM
I'll rule on this at a later date.Well, whatever you do, YOU RULE dude!

Calcountry
02-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Nah. Just drunk.

I'm sorry, love. It was just a joke. Don't be mad. Please dont start a thread complaining about me. Please.He won't be mad, that is his favorite state in a girl.

Katipan
02-04-2006, 01:18 PM
I think I'm still drunk.

Slu819
02-04-2006, 01:58 PM
I bet you can't find another person on this board that doesn't think you're swimming in shit right now.

Oh, you'd be surprised.

Smed1065
02-04-2006, 02:06 PM
More than one toooooo !

Calcountry
02-04-2006, 05:31 PM
I am suprised to hear you say this since you are from Northern CA, as I have found San Francisco to rival LA in that regard.I don't live in San Francisco, rather, the valley. Nothing but chain restaraunts here. Way too vanilla compared to the big cities like San Fran or L.A.