PDA

View Full Version : Merrill: Is it DT's time?

tk13
02-04-2006, 02:13 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13788849.htm

Is it Thomas’ time?
Peterson believes former Chiefs LB should be in Hall

By ELIZABETH MERRILL
The Kansas City Star

Carl Peterson is dining on some chili at Wendy’s, and “Magical Mystery Tour” drones loudly over the speakers. At least five people stop to say hi or shake his hand. Most of them refer to him as “Carl.”

Mr. Peterson smiles, dips his plastic spoon into the cup and takes another bite. Yes, there is a deeper, softer side to the Chiefs’ president/general manager. It’s there this week, especially today, as Derrick Thomas’ name comes up again for Hall of Fame consideration.

“I got really close to him,” Peterson said. “I won’t ever let myself get that close to a player again because of the tragedy that happened. It was like losing a son.”

This is not his mantra, Peterson said, not his fight. But really, it is. He asks whether you’ve read the packet the Chiefs put together on Thomas, the one 39 voters will thumb through today in Detroit and vote whether the late linebacker will get into Canton, Ohio.

John Elway wrote a letter in that packet. He said Derrick “was such an impact player that you always had to know where he was on the field.” The Chin, Bill Cowher, wrote one on Steelers letterhead. He compared Thomas with Lawrence Taylor and Reggie White.

Peterson shuffles some napkins and says he’s biased. Thomas was his first first-round draft pick in 1989, and he became a friend, a nine-time Pro Bowler, a cornerstone of a Chiefs franchise that made seven playoff appearances in 11 seasons. Peterson always tells the players to stop by his office if they want to talk. Thomas used to take him up on it repeatedly.

“He always fashioned himself and felt that when he finally retired he’d be my assistant general manager,” Peterson said. “And he meant it. He’d say, ‘This is what I want to do, I want to be with you and we’re going to continue this thing on.’ What a truly infectious young man.

“Where he came from and where he ended up … was miles and miles (apart).”

It’s not his fight, mind you, but Peterson was disappointed last year when Thomas didn’t make the Pro Football Hall of Fame in his first appearance on the ballot. He has prepared himself for more disappointment today. Reggie White, Troy Aikman, Warren Moon and Thurman Thomas are first-time ballot members, and the consensus is that White and Aikman are shoo-ins today.

Michael Irvin, a star receiver on the Cowboys’ three Super Bowl championship teams in the 1990s, is also a finalist. Some wonder how Aikman can make it without Irvin. A maximum of six inductees can be part of the Class of 2006. Last year, Derrick Thomas made the cut to 10 but was eliminated in favor of Steve Young, Dan Marino and senior committee nominees Benny Friedman and Fritz Pollard.

“I’ve been doing this for six or seven years now,” said Paul Domowitch, a voter from the Philadelphia Daily News, “and this is probably as good a final 15 as I can remember. It’s going to be difficult. I would assume they’re going to get the maximum number.

“I also think it’s tougher for Derrick than last year or next year. I’m on the border with Derrick. He was a great player. I think he’s a Hall of Fame player. I just think it’s going to be tough this year.”

Some voters have heard the same presentations for the same candidates for five, six years. Some people within the Chiefs organization know that this might not be the time for Thomas.
But they don’t believe in holding back and pushing harder for a more realistic shot in 2007.

“I don’t think you can save your bullets,” said Bob Gretz of KCFX-FM, who serves as Kansas City’s representative on the board of selectors. “You have to approach it the same way Derrick Thomas approached life. If he was alive today, he’d say every opportunity is important.

“Every opportunity to present him and his credentials is an opportunity to maybe convince somebody on the fence that he is worth the Hall of Fame.”

Thomas set franchise records with 126½ sacks, 19 fumble recoveries and 45 forced fumbles. Peterson is convinced Thomas would have had many more if he hadn’t died from injuries suffered in a car accident in 2000. Just ask Marcus Allen. Peterson has a letter from him in the packet, too.

He finishes eating and walks to his SUV, where a pin still sticks to a visor. It says 58. It’s Thomas’ number.

“This is not my fight if you will,” Peterson said. “It’s extremely important, in my opinion, that Derrick Thomas be recognized for what he did on the football field.

“We knew by his second year that his name would be in the ring of honor at Arrowhead Stadium. And then very quickly, you could see this guy had the credentials to one day be in Canton. And he knew. He didn’t talk about it a lot, but I can tell you, without any question, that certainly that would be the crowning jewel for him in accomplishing what he wanted to do.”

Dunit35
02-04-2006, 02:23 AM
I doubt he makes it. But I sure hope he does.

Deberg_1990
02-04-2006, 02:36 AM
Not this year...probably next year.

Rausch
02-04-2006, 03:26 AM
“This is not my fight if you will,” Peterson said.

The **** it isn't.

You're talking about a man who defined a franchise for a decade.

DT WAS the ****ing Chiefs.

You're talking about a man who has defined your career. He set the NFL record for sacks in a game. He lead the charge to push Moon's $#it in in the only playoff win that ever made KC fans believe we could be special.

He called his safety, then got it.

Carl, you better make this your last ****ing will and testament, your ****ing life's goal, the reason you wake up to suck air every day God gives you.

You better cheat, and ass-****, and steal, and decieve every ****ing voter in every ****ing major media outlet you can convice to listen to you on the phone or in person.

If you won't fight for this man there isn't any reason to belive there is anything in your profession you will fight for...

Chief Pote
02-04-2006, 06:35 AM
The **** it isn't.

You're talking about a man who defined a franchise for a decade.

DT WAS the ****ing Chiefs.

You're talking about a man who has defined your career. He set the NFL record for sacks in a game. He lead the charge to push Moon's $#it in in the only playoff win that ever made KC fans believe we could be special.

He called his safety, then got it.

Carl, you better make this your last ****ing will and testament, your ****ing life's goal, the reason you wake up to suck air every day God gives you.

You better cheat, and ass-****, and steal, and decieve every ****ing voter in every ****ing major media outlet you can convice to listen to you on the phone or in person.

If you won't fight for this man there isn't any reason to belive there is anything in your profession you will fight for...

Don't hold back Rausch....AND I agree!! DT could be on the cover page of any Chiefs mag for life and do it justice.