PDA

View Full Version : Holmgren is a DICK?

mcan
02-05-2006, 09:23 PM
Anybody else catch this? Cowher got the 50 yard line and Homgren stood him up... That's pretty classless in my opinion.... Sure, the refs called a one sided game, but that isn't the opposing coach's fault... Go out and shake the guy's hand for God's sake!

Can't imagine Dick Vermeil doing that sort of thing.

chiefs4me
02-05-2006, 09:29 PM
I saw it, and I really think it bothered him....

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Holmgren is and always has been a dick, but that's a completely classless move on his part.

Mile High Mania
02-05-2006, 09:30 PM
Hell, Shanahan went out shook his hand and said "win the next one" when they defeated Denver.

JBucc
02-05-2006, 09:31 PM
I like that little pout face he gets when things don't go h is way

teedubya
maybe that is why Holmgrens wife didnt go to Detroit.... Jerome Bettis' hometown

BigMeatballDave
I was wondering what happened to him. What an asshat...

Garcia Bronco
02-05-2006, 09:32 PM
I think it was more a statement to the NFL...and I think it had to be made

banyon
02-05-2006, 09:34 PM
maybe that is why Holmgrens wife didnt go to Detroit.... Jerome Bettis' hometown
She should stay in the Congo

headsnap
02-05-2006, 09:34 PM
after further review(thanks to my TiVo), it appears that Holmgren tried to cross the field but Cowher's chin got in the way...

dirk digler
02-05-2006, 09:35 PM

Yep I agree. If you are going to rig the game why even play it.

Oh yeah, it is all about money.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-05-2006, 09:35 PM

Yep. This isn't the first time the refs have cost Seattle in the postseason. This is just the first time they've cost Seattle a championship. Right from the start and all the way to the end. Sure I'm biased, but I've said it with the Chiefs and heard many of you do the same when KC is playin. I'm always gonna call a spade a spade. Real shame the zebras decided that game.

Garcia Bronco
02-05-2006, 09:36 PM
Yep. This isn't the first time the refs have cost Seattle in the postseason. This is just the first time they've cost Seattle a championship. Right from the start and all the way to the end. Sure I'm biased, but I've said it with the Chiefs and heard many of you do the same when KC is playin. I'm always gonna call a spade a spade. Real shame the zebras decided that game.

I think the Steelers are a better team...but the way this game was called was a complete joke.

BigMeatballDave
02-05-2006, 09:37 PM
I think it was more a statement to the NFL...and I think it had to be madeI don't disagree, but bad calls go for you and against you. Its part of the game.
Good teams overcome them. Pittsburgh certainly did it against Indy with thoes 2 horrid calls...

HolmeZz
02-05-2006, 09:39 PM
I thought it went down differently than that. Instead of going straight to midfield to meet up, Cowher was basically brought all the way towards the 15 or so by some of the NFL people. Then the mic picked up Cowher asking where Mike was.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-05-2006, 09:59 PM
I think the Steelers are a better team...but the way this game was called was a complete joke.

I can live with that, but at least make them prove it. That's all I'm sayin. This game was gift wrapped from the START.

BigMeatballDave
02-05-2006, 10:21 PM
I can live with that, but at least make them prove it. That's all I'm sayin. This game was gift wrapped from the START.Whatever. It was 14-10 entering the 4th. Seattle had one the best offenses this season. They couldn't do shit in the 4th. They choked. Period.

Dayze
02-05-2006, 10:26 PM
Whatever. It was 14-10 entering the 4th. Seattle had one the best offenses this season. They couldn't do shit in the 4th. They choked. Period.

Yup. choked; like swalllowing 5 mozzarella sticks

Nightwish
02-05-2006, 10:26 PM
I was rooting for Pittsburgh all the way, but I was a little disappointed with the way they won, because it did seem that most of the really bad calls did go against Seattle. It was one of the worst-officiated games I've ever seen (although upholding the Big Ben TD was the right call, I think, because there simply wasn't enough conclusive footage to overturn the call on the field).

thebrad84
02-05-2006, 10:38 PM
I was rooting for Pittsburgh all the way, but I was a little disappointed with the way they won, because it did seem that most of the really bad calls did go against Seattle. It was one of the worst-officiated games I've ever seen (although upholding the Big Ben TD was the right call, I think, because there simply wasn't enough conclusive footage to overturn the call on the field).

I agree that it shouldn't have been overturned after the side judge called it a TD to begin with...however, that ref NEVER should have called that a TD. If you watched the replay, he actually called it down at the goalline and started running in to spot the ball and then all of a sudden decided to call it a TD. WTF? I didn't really care who won this game, but saying that was a TD to begin with was ridiculous, simply because you couldn't tell in real time. He should have gone with his orginal assumption and called it down at the goal line, and then they could have reviewed it. Basically, it should be like our judicial system, 'you are innocent until proven guilty'...in the football world...when it's that close to judge in real time, it should be 'its no TD until its proven a TD.'

It sure seemed like Seattle got hosed on some calls, but they also couldnt score other times they should have and/or needed to. All and all it seemed like the Steelers made the plays to win it and the Seahawks didn't.

Nightwish
02-05-2006, 10:41 PM
It sure seemed like Seattle got hosed on some calls, but they also couldnt score other times they should have and/or needed to. All and all it seemed like the Steelers made the plays to win it and the Seahawks didn't.
Yep. No matter what the officials do, if you can't make the plays, you can't win the game.

BigMeatballDave
02-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Yup. choked; like swalllowing 5 mozzarella sticksHeh. I was just about to make me some of thoes...

dilligaf
02-05-2006, 11:17 PM
I keep hearing how the refs gave the game to the Steelers. I saw the seahawks hold on most every play. The bad calls went both ways. :hmmm:

greg63
02-05-2006, 11:23 PM
Anybody else catch this? Cowher got the 50 yard line and Homgren stood him up... That's pretty classless in my opinion.... Sure, the refs called a one sided game, but that isn't the opposing coach's fault... Go out and shake the guy's hand for God's sake!

Can't imagine Dick Vermeil doing that sort of thing.

I know [about] Homgren, and he's no "Dick".

Mecca
02-06-2006, 12:40 AM
I keep hearing how the refs gave the game to the Steelers. I saw the seahawks hold on most every play. The bad calls went both ways. :hmmm:

But then they flagged, the really cheap holding when Stevens caught a ball at the 1..........They were just trying to keep Seattle low in points. They called a really cheapo on Jackson then that......you could say the refs cost them atleast 14 points.

Taco John
02-06-2006, 12:44 AM
I think Seattle could have won this game if the refs weren't so one-sided in their officiating.

Nightwish
02-06-2006, 12:45 AM
But then they flagged, the really cheap holding when Stevens caught a ball at the 1..........They were just trying to keep Seattle low in points. They called a really cheapo on Jackson then that......you could say the refs cost them atleast 14 points.
We've gone over the Jackson call plenty of times now. It was a legal call. The refs didn't cost them those points. Darrell Jackson cost himself those points. Every receiver in the NFL knows that pushing off is illegal. He broke the rule, he got caught, he got flagged. It's as simple as that. You can argue, as others have, that the defender was also making contact beyond the five-yard mark, at the goal line, but it's a moot point, because that wouldn't have given them the points either. At best, the penalties would have offset and they would have had to replay the down. But it is pointless to complain about a flag on a legitimate infraction simply because the refs usually let them get away with it.

Simplex3
02-06-2006, 12:46 AM
I think Seattle could have won this game if the refs weren't so one-sided in their officiating.
They could have won it even with the calls. They could have lost it with different calls.

Nightwish
02-06-2006, 12:46 AM
Seattle may well have won the game if Stevens hadn't dropped three passes, and their kicker hadn't missed two field goals, and the team hadn't failed to capitalize on a ton of other opportunities. The officiating was bad, but Seattle lost the game on their own.

Mecca
02-06-2006, 12:52 AM
We've gone over the Jackson call plenty of times now. It was a legal call. The refs didn't cost them those points. Darrell Jackson cost himself those points. Every receiver in the NFL knows that pushing off is illegal. He broke the rule, he got caught, he got flagged. It's as simple as that. You can argue, as others have, that the defender was also making contact beyond the five-yard mark, at the goal line, but it's a moot point, because that wouldn't have given them the points either. At best, the penalties would have offset and they would have had to replay the down. But it is pointless to complain about a flag on a legitimate infraction simply because the refs usually let them get away with it.

If your going to argue that's a legit PI, then there should be about 15 of them a game. Every WR touches the DB, he didn't stand him up so he could go get the ball. There's a diference in pushing off and touching someone......

Simplex3
02-06-2006, 12:53 AM
If your going to argue that's a legit PI, then there should be about 15 of them a game. Every WR touches the DB, he didn't stand him up so he could go get the ball. There's a diference in pushing off and touching someone......
He pushed, Hope moved back and his feet came off the turf. That's PI, plain and simple. There is nothing in the rules about the degree of the pushoff.

They say there's a hold in the OL on every play too, should we just stop calling all of those?

Mecca
02-06-2006, 12:54 AM
Why do I even bother........95% of this board was cheering for the Steelers so it was obviously PI.......

Taco John
02-06-2006, 12:54 AM
They could have won it even with the calls. They could have lost it with different calls.

I guess so. I don't like blaming games on officiating, but I don't recall ever seeing such a one-sided game, especially on the big stage. So many calls that went against the Seahawks, and so much leeway given to the Steelers. I'd still like to hear the official ruling on what the hell a "Zero Beat" is... That's a classic.

Mecca
02-06-2006, 12:57 AM
I guess so. I don't like blaming games on officiating, but I don't recall ever seeing such a one-sided game, especially on the big stage. So many calls that went against the Seahawks, and so much leeway given to the Steelers. I'd still like to hear the official ruling on what the hell a "Zero Beat" is... That's a classic.

After the 1st quarter, I turned to a friend of mine and said. Obviously the NFL doesn't want the Superbowl champion to be from "way out there in the northwest that no one knows about."

Simplex3
02-06-2006, 12:57 AM
Why do I even bother........95% of this board was cheering for the Steelers so it was obviously PI.......
Way to prove your point.

Oh, wait, you didn't prove your point.

Have receivers gotten away with that 99% of the time the last two or more years? Yes. Is it still illegal? Yes. Dude did it RIGHT in front of the official, in the end zone. If he hadn't called it you'd be bitching about the non-call.

Taco John
02-06-2006, 12:59 AM
I wasn't sold on the refs being a big force in the game in the first quarter. It wasn't until several missed holding calls, a missed horse collar, a "Zero Beat" time out, and a penalty on a quarterback trying to make a tackle that I decided to reconsider the bogus push-off in the first.

Taco John
02-06-2006, 01:00 AM
Way to prove your point.

Oh, wait, you didn't prove your point.

Have receivers gotten away with that 99% of the time the last two or more years? Yes. Is it still illegal? Yes. Dude did it RIGHT in front of the official, in the end zone. If he hadn't called it you'd be bitching about the non-call.

Not when the defender was touching him to begin with. If anything, it should have been conflicting penalties.

Mecca
02-06-2006, 01:01 AM
I can't believe people are sitting here trying to justify that PI call on Jackson..........If you wanted the Steelers to win that great, but good lord. That's an extremely ticky tack call, especially in a Superbowl.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-06-2006, 01:02 AM
I'm still trying to figure out why everyone on this board was slurping the Steelers--they aren't the Chiefs!! The amount of love I saw given them tonight was sad, like a guy who keeps talking about some chick he finds hot in the presence of his wife.

Simplex3
02-06-2006, 01:03 AM
Not when the defender was touching him to begin with. If anything, it should have been conflicting penalties.
Eh, that contact could have been holding, could have been incidental, could have been the receiver slamming into the DB.

The penelty on Hasselbeck's tackle after the INT was pure BS, however. I doubt anyone thinks that changed the game, though.

There were several blatent holds on both sides with non-calls. I won't dispute that the officiating was pretty bad, maybe even horrible. The PI call was right on, though, and the league needs to make that call more often.

Simplex3
02-06-2006, 01:04 AM
I'm still trying to figure out why everyone on this board was slurping the Steelers--they aren't the Chiefs!! The amount of love I saw given them tonight was sad, like a guy who keeps talking about some chick he finds hot in the presence of his wife.
You're an idiot.

Mecca
02-06-2006, 01:05 AM

I was wondering that too..........It's not like we get anything because the Steelers won.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-06-2006, 01:05 AM
You're an idiot.

You have the eloquence of Cicero.

Mecca
02-06-2006, 01:07 AM
Maybe it was because they have a guy with a great nickname like "fast" Willie Parker.........I'd like to add that is possibly the worst nickname that anyone has ever had. That would be like of Jerome Bettis nickname was "fat" Jerome Bettis.

Simplex3
02-06-2006, 01:08 AM
That would be called "cross-thread humor" for those of you paying attention.

Now go f**k yourself, troll.

Jim Jones
02-06-2006, 01:45 AM
I can see how some calls were questionable but i don't understand how ANYONE can argue the PI on Jackson. He reached his arm out, engaged in the defender, and pushed him to gain separation. RIGHT in front of the ref. That is PI anyway you slice it.

Simplex3
02-06-2006, 01:47 AM
I can see how some calls were questionable but i don't understand how ANYONE can argue the PI on Jackson. He reached his arm out, engaged in the defender, and pushed him to gain separation. RIGHT in front of the ref. That is PI anyway you slice it.
Like I said in the other thread, let's not confuse them with facts. Let's just let them rant like the boobs they're being.

Mecca
02-06-2006, 01:51 AM

I'll say this, by what the rule says, it's a penalty, But it's something that is generally not called. I considered it a pretty ticky tack call for being the Superbowl. If that was the only call hey ok, but Seattle had a ton of calls go against them. Hell, Hasselbeck got a penalty for making a tackle........

Abba-Dabba
02-06-2006, 01:52 AM
But then they flagged, the really cheap holding when Stevens caught a ball at the 1..........

That was the ballgame right there IMO. It was a bad call, deep on the Steelers side of the field. Worse officiating on one possession I have ever seen.

If I was a Seattle fan I would be pissed as hell. And I couldn't even imagine how pissed I would be if I was a Seahawks player or coach. The Seahawks would have been 1st & Goal at the 1 ready to punch or dive it in. Instead they were put 1st & 20, out of the red zone, a following sack, then a following horse tackle collar that was not called and a INT that should have never been. Which that INT that should have never even had a chance to occur, led to a call on Hasselbeck that should have never been too.

Oh yeah, the refs altered the game, no doubt about it. Following that possession, if the holding was never called lik,e it should have, Seattle would have been up 17-14. Instead, the refs gift wrapped the Steelers another TD with that one holding call. Basically making it a 21-10 ballgame.

All in all, that one call was alot of damage to the credibility of the NFL. And they know it. The SB isn't just regionally televised game, it's worldwide. Imagine how many millions of people came away from that game with the impression of bias. I'm willing to bet that the poor officiating discussion will go around the NFL offices more than a few times in the next few days.

beer bacon
02-06-2006, 01:52 AM

I think he was just embarrassed about his play calling at the end of the game.

beer bacon
02-06-2006, 01:54 AM

It was obvious that he got plenty of seperation from pushing off before he made his final cut to go back and catch the ball. I don't know what game you were watching.

beer bacon
02-06-2006, 01:55 AM
Maybe it was because they have a guy with a great nickname like "fast" Willie Parker.........I'd like to add that is possibly the worst nickname that anyone has ever had. That would be like of Jerome Bettis nickname was "fat" Jerome Bettis.

Perhaps you should clean the sand out of your vagina before you continue posting.

greg63
02-06-2006, 01:56 AM

I thought so too; the defender has as much right to the path of the ball as the receiver does, and defender's path to the ball was impeded by the outstretched arm of the receiver.

beer bacon
02-06-2006, 01:58 AM
I'll say this, by what the rule says, it's a penalty, But it's something that is generally not called. I considered it a pretty ticky tack call for being the Superbowl. If that was the only call hey ok, but Seattle had a ton of calls go against them. Hell, Hasselbeck got a penalty for making a tackle........

The penalty on Hasselbeck ws BS. I saw it called earlier in the season in basically the exact same situation. I flipped out then and I flipped out tonight. From what I understand they called it because Hasselbeck made contact with a blocker below the waist while tackling the ball carrier.

The way they called it tonight totally goes against the spirit of the rule. I don't know if it outright violates the rule in the technical sense. Since I have only heard the rule sited by commentators during the two games I mentioned.

Mecca
02-06-2006, 01:58 AM
I can buy this idea that if they are calling with 0 tolerenance not relating to how they called things in the past that can be called PI.

But what about the ridiculous holding on the Stevens catch in the 4th? That was basically the game.

beer bacon
02-06-2006, 01:59 AM
I can buy this idea that if they are calling with 0 tolerenance not relating to how they called things in the past that can be called PI.

But what about the ridiculous holding on the Stevens catch in the 4th? That was basically the game.

Was that the one where the OLB was offsides on the play too? The same OLB was offsides the next play as well. It wasn't called either time.

Mecca
02-06-2006, 02:02 AM
Was that the one where the OLB was offsides on the play too? The same OLB was offsides the next play as well. It wasn't called either time.

Yes...........that was kinda my thing 1 or 2 here and there is one thing. But it felt to me like they dicked Seattle everytime while nothing like that happened to Pittsburgh.

beer bacon
02-06-2006, 02:04 AM
Yes...........that was kinda my thing 1 or 2 here and there is one thing. But it felt to me like they dicked Seattle everytime while nothing like that happened to Pittsburgh.

The Steelers did have some penalties called on them early, but they dried up after that. There were some pretty obvious holding penalties by Seattle's O-line that weren't called.

Mecca
02-06-2006, 02:06 AM
The Steelers did have some penalties called on them early, but they dried up after that. There were some pretty obvious holding penalties by Seattle's O-line that weren't called.

It's when you call them, they picked key times when Seattle was about to score to bust out the flags. Everytime they'd get a big play here would come the yellow.

mcan
02-06-2006, 02:37 AM
OK

First, the whether they actually were dicked or not doesn't make any difference... You STILL should go shake the other coach's hand...

Now, the Offensive Pass Interference:

Matt Hasslebeck was scrambling on that play, and the reciever had finished his route, turned back, stopped, and then started going the across the back of the end zone to the ball. The way I remember it, when the reciever stopped, the defender grabbed his arm and looked back at the quarterback. The ball was already in the air when the reciever swatted away the defender's arm and ran across the back of the end zone to the ball. The defender was flat footed and NEVER started running to the ball to make a play. His body was not pushed, IMO. Only his arm was pushed away. Since he got BEAT, he turned to look at the ref and argued himself a get out of jail free card.

As for the holding call on the big pass... I saw the hold before the pass, called it out loud to all of my friends and THEN the ref threw the flag. It was definately a hold. However, it wasn't a very BIG hold, and there were much bigger holds that weren't called all day, including a one on Roethlesberger's QB keeper for that game icing first down in the 4th quarter. The WR had his left arm hooked around the corner on that side, that could have otherwise pretty easily made the stop...

BigMeatballDave
02-06-2006, 02:54 AM
Why do I even bother........95% of this board was cheering for the Steelers so it was obviously PI.......95% of this board doesn't really give a shit. The Chiefs weren't in it, so noone here is about to lose any sleep over it...

BigMeatballDave
02-06-2006, 02:57 AM
You're an idiot.you misspelled that...
:p

Nightwish
02-06-2006, 03:46 AM
I can't believe people are sitting here trying to justify that PI call on Jackson..........If you wanted the Steelers to win that great, but good lord. That's an extremely ticky tack call, especially in a Superbowl.
Do you have a problem with rules infractions being flagged? "Other players have gotten away with it, so Jackson should have gotten away with it, too" is not a valid argument. It has never been a valid argument, it will never be a valid argument, so you should really find another tack. I understand that you were rooting for the Seahawks, so your posts are mostly sour grapes, but that particular complaint is pretty weightless. It's about the same as those people on the "Judge Martone" thread who were arguing that because a lot of teenagers get away with underage drinking that it is therefore unreasonable to punish other teenagers for it. It's like some of you don't have a concept of "against the rules." If you break the law in the real world, and don't get punished, you're lucky. If you break the rules in a football game and don't get flagged, you're lucky. But nobody owes it to you (whoever "you" may be) to let a rule infraction go. Some folks really need to get that through their heads!

Nightwish
02-06-2006, 03:55 AM
Matt Hasslebeck was scrambling on that play, and the reciever had finished his route, turned back, stopped, and then started going the across the back of the end zone to the ball. The way I remember it, when the reciever stopped, the defender grabbed his arm and looked back at the quarterback. The ball was already in the air when the reciever swatted away the defender's arm and ran across the back of the end zone to the ball. The defender was flat footed and NEVER started running to the ball to make a play. His body was not pushed, IMO. Only his arm was pushed away. Since he got BEAT, he turned to look at the ref and argued himself a get out of jail free card.

That may have happened earlier in the play, but that's not what happened at the back of the endzone when the pass was thrown. They showed the replay several times, and every time the only arm that was stretched out between the two players was the receiver's arm. It was 100% unequivocally a push-off. It wasn't a big one, it didn't knock the defender off his feet or very much off his balance, but it was enough to amount to an infraction.

1punkyQB
02-06-2006, 04:24 AM
The defender was also guilty of illegal contact after 5 yards, if you want to be strict about it. Either they should've both been flagged or neither.

02-06-2006, 05:19 AM
The defender was also guilty of illegal contact after 5 yards, if you want to be strict about it. Either they should've both been flagged or neither.

The good ol' off-setting penalties. Gotta love'em.

dirk digler
02-06-2006, 07:42 AM

My problem with the call is that isn't consistent. If you are going to make the call then do it from preseason on not just the SB. Every freaking game there is at least 15-20 pass plays where the WR extends their arms and it is NEVER CALLED. It was a BS call IMO. The refs need to be invisible during the SB or any game, not become the story of the game.

htismaqe
02-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Whatever. It was 14-10 entering the 4th. Seattle had one the best offenses this season. They couldn't do shit in the 4th. They choked. Period.

The Seahawks had 1st and goal at the ONE without the holding call. It would have been 17-14.

Whether it was holding or not is probably debatable. Actually it was probably holding.

What I have a problem with is that the EXACT SAME THING happened at the other end of the field on the Randle-El TD pass -- NO CALL. It also happened on the Big Ben "almost crossed the line" pass that set up a TD and again -- NO CALL.

jspchief
02-06-2006, 08:53 AM
To clear the issue on the Mike Holmgren thing that this thread was supposed to be about....

Holmgren couldn't get to Cowher due to the crowd on the field. He went to the Steeler's lockerroom to congratulate him.

So once again, the media creates a story that wasn't there, based on their speculation and need for controversy.

JBucc
02-06-2006, 08:55 AM
To clear the issue on the Mike Holmgren thing that this thread was supposed to be about....

Holmgren couldn't get to Cowher due to the crowd on the field. He went to the Steeler's lockerroom to congratulate him.

So once again, the media creates a story that wasn't there, based on their speculation and need for controversy.Those Bastards!
:cuss: But yeah that's pretty much what they said on Mike and Mike. Stupid media contriversy whores. Holmgren is still an ass though.

Luzap
02-06-2006, 08:56 AM
I'm more concerned with the inconsistency of the calls than the calls themselves. The only call I noticed that I consider truly 'bad' was the Blocking Below the Waist.

I did, however, see a LOT of non-calls.

Luz
did anyone notice the Pitt QB get blatently clipped on the 75 yard interception return???...

Chief Henry
02-06-2006, 09:04 AM

Good Explanation Mecca. Its someting that happens all the time in the NFL. To have called that in the Superbowl is Bogus. KC Chief fans
have seen Tony G. get called for that same thing way too many times.

Frosty
02-06-2006, 09:05 AM
did anyone notice the Pitt QB get blatently clipped on the 75 yard interception return???...

I saw the QB get laid out but it wasn't a clip. The blocker caught him up under the armpit. That's from the side.

Luzap
02-06-2006, 09:24 AM
I saw the QB get laid out but it wasn't a clip. The blocker caught him up under the armpit. That's from the side.

It looked to me like a push in the back.

But you may very well have seen it better than I did.

Luz
thinks the nfl has bigger concerns than officiating (like a players cba)...

phxchief
02-06-2006, 09:37 AM
I wasn't sold on the refs being a big force in the game in the first quarter. It wasn't until several missed holding calls, a missed horse collar, a "Zero Beat" time out, and a penalty on a quarterback trying to make a tackle that I decided to reconsider the bogus push-off in the first.

ROFL

You dumb shit - it wasn't a horse-collar by DEFINITION OF THE RULE.

htismaqe
02-06-2006, 09:48 AM
ROFL

You dumb shit - it wasn't a horse-collar by DEFINITION OF THE RULE.

Explain.

Mr. Kotter
02-06-2006, 10:32 AM
I'm more concerned with the inconsistency of the calls than the calls themselves. The only call I noticed that I consider truly 'bad' was the Blocking Below the Waist.

I did, however, see a LOT of non-calls.

Luz

Yup. If you are gonna call ticky-tack crap, it better be both ways. And there were a ton of offsides and holding calls that "could have been called"--especially against Pitt.

I thought the block on Ben was okay, if close though.

Calcountry
02-06-2006, 10:42 AM
I don't disagree, but bad calls go for you and against you. Its part of the game.
Good teams overcome them. Pittsburgh certainly did it against Indy with thoes 2 horrid calls...Barely.

Calcountry
02-06-2006, 10:44 AM
I can live with that, but at least make them prove it. That's all I'm sayin. This game was gift wrapped from the START.I have said it before, the NFL should have athletic, young, and highly qualified, full time, professional officials.

Not these old, senile, part time hall monitors.

Calcountry
02-06-2006, 10:51 AM
I agree that it shouldn't have been overturned after the side judge called it a TD to begin with...however, that ref NEVER should have called that a TD. If you watched the replay, he actually called it down at the goalline and started running in to spot the ball and then all of a sudden decided to call it a TD. WTF? I didn't really care who won this game, but saying that was a TD to begin with was ridiculous, simply because you couldn't tell in real time. He should have gone with his orginal assumption and called it down at the goal line, and then they could have reviewed it. Basically, it should be like our judicial system, 'you are innocent until proven guilty'...in the football world...when it's that close to judge in real time, it should be 'its no TD until its proven a TD.'

It sure seemed like Seattle got hosed on some calls, but they also couldnt score other times they should have and/or needed to. All and all it seemed like the Steelers made the plays to win it and the Seahawks didn't.Dude, I could give a chit about who won this game. I had TIVO, and I frame by framed it, the EDGE of the football, scraped, or tickled the FRONT EDGE of the goal line. BY DEFINITION, that is a TD.

htismaqe
02-06-2006, 11:16 AM
Dude, I could give a chit about who won this game. I had TIVO, and I frame by framed it, the EDGE of the football, scraped, or tickled the FRONT EDGE of the goal line. BY DEFINITION, that is a TD.

You must have a different DVR than I do, because on mine, it wasn't a TD.

vailpass
02-06-2006, 11:23 AM

Quick someone put a new wax ring around the seal of the DC Forum. Apparently the old one is giving way and the extra slimy poop is starting to seep into the Lounge. It won't be long before the whole ring blows out and even the chunky shit like memegunt comes flooding in.

Frosty
02-06-2006, 11:23 AM
You must have a different DVR than I do, because on mine, it wasn't a TD.

Mine either. I think it has to do with how hard you were pulling for the Steelers, as did your general opinion of the officiating.

Nightwish
02-06-2006, 12:33 PM
Mine either. I think it has to do with how hard you were pulling for the Steelers, as did your general opinion of the officiating.
I was pulling for the Steelers, my general opinion of the officiating is that it was bad, and my DVR must be the same brand as bunntrdr's, because it certainly appeared to show a touchdown. The ball doesn't have to touch the white line itself, it only has to break the plane, and it was pretty clear that it broke the plane by an inch or two before his body came down. I think people are judging from where the ball finally settled when he hit the ground, not from where it made the most forward progress while he was still up. The latter is what you judge from, not the former.

htismaqe
02-06-2006, 12:46 PM
I was pulling for the Steelers, my general opinion of the officiating is that it was bad, and my DVR must be the same brand as bunntrdr's, because it certainly appeared to show a touchdown. The ball doesn't have to touch the white line itself, it only has to break the plane, and it was pretty clear that it broke the plane by an inch or two before his body came down. I think people are judging from where the ball finally settled when he hit the ground, not from where it made the most forward progress while he was still up. The latter is what you judge from, not the former.

One of the guys I was with put a piece of paper on the TV (50" bigscreen in HD) to illustrate where the "plane" would be. To the 6 of us, the ball never touched the paper, meaning it never broke the plane.

Taco John
02-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Last night was the first time I ever walked away from an NFL game thinking that the refs were the key difference in the game, and that there was nothing the losing team could do to overcome that factor.

That was the worst Superbowl ever. I feel sorry for the fans of both teams... The Seahawks for not being given a fighting chance, and the Steelers for having to hear about a tainted Superbowl until they win again.

Simplex3
02-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Last night was the first time I ever walked away from an NFL game thinking that the refs were the key difference in the game, and that there was nothing the losing team could do to overcome that factor.

That was the worst Superbowl ever. I feel sorry for the fans of both teams... The Seahawks for not being given a fighting chance, and the Steelers for having to hear about a tainted Superbowl until they win again.
Uh huh. How many weeks did we hear about the missed block in the back on a Dante Hall KR for a TD that cost the Broncos the game?

So you must also feel sorry for yourself since your team was found guilty of cheating their way to their two SB wins.

kcirnamffoh
02-06-2006, 01:19 PM
The penalty on Hasselbeck ws BS. I saw it called earlier in the season in basically the exact same situation. I flipped out then and I flipped out tonight. From what I understand they called it because Hasselbeck made contact with a blocker below the waist while tackling the ball carrier.

The way they called it tonight totally goes against the spirit of the rule. I don't know if it outright violates the rule in the technical sense. Since I have only heard the rule sited by commentators during the two games I mentioned.

I haven't read every post in this thread so I'm taking the chance of this being just another re-run of a really bad movie.

The rule is that a tackler can't "run through" a blocker below the waste to get to the ball carrier. I saw this called in a game once and it made since to me in that the blocker is defense-less to some human projectile trying to get through him to the ball carrier. That sort of thing can blow out both knees of the blocker and end his career on that play. Its sort of in the same spirt as the chop block, I'm guessing.

In this game, though, it was kind of silly I think to call it on the quarterback. A quarterback is going to blow through a defender to tackle someone? I don't think so. So for a good ref, a little self-disipline (did he really have a good angle to insure that a blocker was hit below the waist which obviously he must not have) and some common sense (a QB isn't going to do that) would have told him not to have thrown that flag.

Really bad call which probably even further de-morilized the Seahawks.

Inspector
02-06-2006, 01:23 PM
I have said it before, the NFL should have athletic, young, and highly qualified, full time, professional officials.

Not these old, senile, part time hall monitors.

Absolutley!!

You'd think they would get into shape just running around trying to keep up with the players...and I guess to be fair, a few of them are in pretty good shape but others are not.

Lzen
02-06-2006, 01:42 PM

Agreed.

PastorMikH
02-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Back to the original topic, where exactly did Homgren snub Cohwer? I watched today the end of the game to the platform stuff and the only think I saw that seemed close was Cohwer out on the field looking around. Is that what everyone is reffering to? For some reason I pictured in my mind Homgren out there but refusing to acknowledge Cohwer.

FWIW, I was for the Steelers, but am dissapointed in the officiating. I've thought all season long that the officiating has been suspect - even in games where I didn't care who won. Sure seems like the officials are making questionable calls that end up changing momentums and decide games. For example, when KC was in Denver this year, everytime they started moving the ball, the officials started throwing flags. I thought it was mostly just me, until I watched the EXACT same thing happen to the Pats there in the playoffs.

Anyhow, congrats to the Stealers?:)

phxchief
02-06-2006, 03:07 PM

Here's a novel concept: make plays, something Seattle did very little of, particularly down the stretch.

That was the worst Superbowl ever.

A number of people contend that the worst loss in NFL Superbowl history -- Denver getting raped by San Fran -- is far worse. At least you didn't shed tears of pity for any team in XL.

the Steelers for having to hear about a tainted Superbowl until they win again.

Bronco fans have survived the last 6+ years, i'm sure the Stillers will work something out.

vailpass
02-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Back to the original topic, where exactly did Homgren snub Cohwer? I watched today the end of the game to the platform stuff and the only think I saw that seemed close was Cohwer out on the field looking around. Is that what everyone is reffering to? For some reason I pictured in my mind Homgren out there but refusing to acknowledge Cohwer.

Holmgren could not get through the crowd to meet Cowher and shake hands at mid field. Later, Holmgren went to the Pitt locker room to seek out Cowher and shake his hand.
Holmgren is class, he did not snub anyone.

jspchief
02-06-2006, 03:24 PM
Back to the original topic, where exactly did Homgren snub Cohwer? I watched today the end of the game to the platform stuff and the only think I saw that seemed close was Cohwer out on the field looking around. Is that what everyone is reffering to? For some reason I pictured in my mind Homgren out there but refusing to acknowledge Cohwer. Holmgren didn't snub Cowher. He couldn't get to Cowher because of the crowd on the field, so he went to the Steelers locker room to congratulate him.

Nightwish
02-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Even without the bad officiating, this was probably the worst-played Superbowl I've seen in a long time. Both teams brought their "C" game, at best. Seattle played a good first quarter, but horribly the last three. Pittsburgh only really had one outstanding play, and that was the trick pass from Randel-El. Both teams looked like high school teams out there for most of the game.

chiefs4me
02-06-2006, 04:31 PM

here's some more slurping asshole...I had several reasons to want the steelers to win, 1-they are AFC, 2- my nephew has always been a steelers fan, 3- I like Bill, 4- I like JB, 5- I don't like hassleboy, 6- wait a second, who the hell are you????

chagrin
02-06-2006, 06:39 PM
Well, I guess I disagree with 99% of CP; about usual. I didn't see anyone complaining about the non calls that went Seattle's way, then again that wouldn't fit the script people are trying to sell. The refs didn't make Jeramy drop balls, the refs didn't cause the Steelers to go 3 and out for the first half of play, the refs didn't cause Seattle's Defense to leave Ward wide friggin open on that trick play, did they? And the refs didn't pay Matt Hasselbeck (shit, is that spelled right?) to mismanage the game clock (the Superbowl was once called Clockball, for that same reason), and also audible out of the plays Mike kept calling for him; screwing up his gameplan. Finally, the refs didn't hypnotize ole Mike to NOT kick the friggin field goal when he should have.

The refs didn't steal shit, it simply wasn't a blow out and the Seattle Seahhawks didn't make ANY "championship" plays when they had to.

Don't give me "bullshit call" on the pass intereference call for starters. Did Jackson touch the defenders chest so the defender couldn't make a play on the ball? (that is a yes or no question, as a matter of rules) yes he did.
Did Jackson touch the defenders chest when he didn't even need to, to create seperation to catch that ball? YES

Wasn't the ref 2 friggin feet from the play? YES
Should the ref call that when he is 2 friggin feet from ANY play? YES

This isn't an opinion, but facts. I am sorry it wasn't exciting, and the only bad calls I saw was the Matt H. "chop" call and the p-hantom holding call against Seattle that prevented them from having the ball on the 1 yd line at one point. All in all, take away the calls you guys are crying about and the score would have been 14-10, game STILL going to Pittsburgh.

Anyway, I am quite tired of reading and hearing that total CRAP all day. I'll leave this thread now, but I just finally had it - had to throw in my 2 cents.
Thanks for reading, sorry if I pissed anyone off.

chiefs4me
02-06-2006, 07:03 PM
Well, I guess I disagree with 99% of CP; about usual. I didn't see anyone complaining about the non calls that went Seattle's way, then again that wouldn't fit the script people are trying to sell. The refs didn't make Jeramy drop balls, the refs didn't cause the Steelers to go 3 and out for the first half of play, the refs didn't cause Seattle's Defense to leave Ward wide friggin open on that trick play, did they? And the refs didn't pay Matt Hasselbeck (shit, is that spelled right?) to mismanage the game clock (the Superbowl was once called Clockball, for that same reason), and also audible out of the plays Mike kept calling for him; screwing up his gameplan. Finally, the refs didn't hypnotize ole Mike to NOT kick the friggin field goal when he should have.

The refs didn't steal shit, it simply wasn't a blow out and the Seattle Seahhawks didn't make ANY "championship" plays when they had to.

Don't give me "bullshit call" on the pass intereference call for starters. Did Jackson touch the defenders chest so the defender couldn't make a play on the ball? (that is a yes or no question, as a matter of rules) yes he did.
Did Jackson touch the defenders chest when he didn't even need to, to create seperation to catch that ball? YES

This isn't an opinion, but facts. I am sorry it wasn't exciting, and the only bad calls I saw was the Matt H. "chop" call and the p-hantom holding call against Seattle that prevented them from having the ball on the 1 yd line at one point. All in all, take away the calls you guys are crying about and the score would have been 14-10, game STILL going to Pittsburgh.

Anyway, I am quite tired of reading and hearing that total CRAP all day. I'll leave this thread now, but I just finally had it - had to throw in my 2 cents.

:clap:......:D

Sure-Oz
02-06-2006, 07:59 PM
both teams sucked balls and the game was boring as heck. There were like 3 total plays that were good. Maybe the most boring SB i've seen.

DomerNKC
02-06-2006, 11:14 PM
If your going to argue that's a legit PI, then there should be about 15 of them a game. Every WR touches the DB, he didn't stand him up so he could go get the ball. There's a diference in pushing off and touching someone......and that was a legitimate push off. i am completely unbiased. my team didn't make the play offs. jackson shoved the defender when the ball was in the air to create separation. foul, flag, no touchdown. play on.

greg63
02-06-2006, 11:16 PM
and that was a legitimate push off. i am completely unbiased. my team didn't make the play offs. jackson shoved the defender when the ball was in the air to create separation. foul, flag, no touchdown. play on.

Yep!

Mecca
02-06-2006, 11:21 PM

Of course one of the plays you do point out as being a bullshit call. Would have likely lead to Seattle leading the game 17-14 in the 4th quarter.........

Nightwish
02-07-2006, 01:31 AM
Of course one of the plays you do point out as being a bullshit call. Would have likely lead to Seattle leading the game 17-14 in the 4th quarter.........The way the "phantom holding" call was explained to me is that the blocker cannot have his hands outside the opposing blocker's shoulder pads. There are "minor" holds and there are "major" holds, all of them equally illegal. A "minor" hold occurs when one of the blockers gets turned sideways and the opposing blocker has one hand on the front of the jersey and one on the back (it's okay to have hands on the front and back of the arm or shouderpad, but if the hands are on the chest and back, that'll get called sometimes, and that's what happened). A "major" hold occurs when they are facing each other and one of the blockers wraps his arms around the other one, collars him, or otherwise takes him down in a wide-armed grapple. Looking at the replay of that hold call, Locklear was guilty of the minor hold. Like the Offensive Pass Interference call, it was one of those that they usually get away with, but it was a technical infraction of the rules, thus the call was a good one.

If this Superbowl has taught people anything, it should be that the officials need to get more consistent with calling infractions, that they should call the smaller stuff more often. Of course, if they did call every small infraction, then the games would last half the day, and would be very boring to watch. But no valid argument can be made that rule infractions should not be called. In other words, you can argue that since it got called in this instance, it should also get called in that instance. But you can't argue that because a player got away with it in this instance, that another player should get away with it in another instance.