PDA

View Full Version : Head Coach Tim Grunhard!

Saulbadguy
02-07-2006, 06:45 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13788751.htm

Grunhard taking over Bishop Miege football programBy CANDACE BUCKNERThe Kansas City StarBishop Miege got a shot of enthusiasm and optimism Friday afternoon when former Chiefs center Tim Grunhard was hired as the school’s new football coach.
And it didn’t take him any time before displaying the emotion and passion that carried him through 11 seasons in the NFL.
“We will win, mark it down,” Grunhard said, his voice escalating and his right fist pumping during an afternoon news conference at the school. “We have one goal, and that’s to win the state championship. One goal.
“It’s not to win a conference. It’s not to win a game. It’s not to beat a certain rival. We will shoot for the stars and win state championships here at Bishop Miege High School.”
Grunhard’s performance was enough to inspire several Stag football players in attendance, including junior Rashad Tucker.
Tucker played running back on last year’s 3-6 team and was encouraged to see his new coach’s unconcealed excitement.
“I feel it. I feel it coming right now,” Tucker said. “I think he’s serious. His first words were ‘championships.’ ”
Later, when he met the full team, he emphasized what he hopes will become Miege’s new tradition.
“We have to hold them to a standard of a culture of winning here,” he said. “This could be a Rockhurst on the other side of the border … and that’s what we’re going to hold our standards to.”
It is the first head-coaching job for Grunhard, who was an assistant coach at St. Pius X. He replaces Dan Ritter, who retired after last season because of health reasons.
As one-third of the Miege hiring team, school president Joe Passantino called Grunhard’s football background “impressive” but also praised the coach for his dedication to Catholic school education.
“His emphasis on character development and faith development, on building good young men and a strong football program,” Passantino said. “He’s just the total package.”
Grunhard started at right guard for the 1988 Notre Dame team that won the national championship. He was a second-round draft choice of the Chiefs in 1990 and played center through the 2000 season. He is the host of the “Tim Grunhard Show” on 610 Sports from 9 to 11 a.m. weekdays.
Passantino said Miege reviewed Grunhard’s recent legal problems, which ultimately did not factor into his being hired. In 2004, Grunhard was charged with lying to get out of jury duty and served a two-day jail sentence to avoid prosecution on the felony perjury charge. He was granted diversion.
In 2003, Grunhard was issued a ticket and charged with drunken driving in Prairie Village. Grunhard said both incidents have been purged from his record.
“He can put it behind him, and we can put it behind us, too,” Passantino said. Grunhard said he hopes to use the incidents to motivate his players.
“They made me a better person, they made me a smarter person,” Grunhard

Fish
02-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Well I'll be damned.... go 61.............

Phobia
02-07-2006, 06:54 PM
You mean he didn't say anything in his acceptance speech about a gleam?

Poppycock.

|Zach|
02-07-2006, 07:09 PM
I thought he already coached at St. Pius X

Phobia
02-07-2006, 07:12 PM
I thought he already coached at St. Pius X
You should get Skip to read the article to you.

|Zach|
02-07-2006, 07:15 PM
You should get Skip to read the article to you.
:)

Hammock Parties
02-07-2006, 07:23 PM
lol, my wife is gonna freak, she went there like 5 yeas ago.

ChiefsFire
02-07-2006, 09:35 PM
lol, my wife is gonna freak, she went there like 5 yeas ago.
is she a big Grunhard fan?