PDA

View Full Version : Tough draft this year

Chiefnj
02-08-2006, 08:27 AM
Is this one of the worst draft classes in several years?

It seems like you have 4-5 blue chip prospects and then a lot of guys with above-average potential, but nobody is really distinguishing themselves.

This seems particularly true at the positions the Chiefs need.

OT, you have Brick and then a big gap to a bunch of players who all took a step back in Mobile. Justice, Winston, McNeil, Scott - roll your dice and take a chance. It seems like they could each develop or bust rather easily.

DE, you have Mario Williams and then a step down to a bunch of semi-undersized DE's like Kiwi, Hali and Tapp. Hali seems to be a bit more well rounded, but again, it wouldn't surprise me if Tapp or Kiwi got drafted int the right situation and had more sacks and pressures.

DT. A year ago Rodrique Wright was a "guaranteed" top 10 pick. What a difference a year makes. Now Ngata has that spot and there is a gap to other tackles; Bunkley - good motor, larger than originally thought, Wroten - good motor but likes to smoke it up, Wright - good size, great freshman year but questionable work ethic, same thing with Watson.

From an armchair GM's point of view, it looks like this years draft might be a little more luck than previous years.

Mecca
02-08-2006, 08:31 AM
Actually this draft might lack the top heavy stars, but it's deep. There's alot of quality players this year.

jspchief
02-08-2006, 08:39 AM
I think this draft has a lot of great players, just not many in positions KC needs help at.

The RBs and LBs are deep as hell. The QBs and O-linemen have a fair number of quality prospects. If you run a 3-4, there are a lot of great OLB prospects. And I think the safeties are fairly deep, depending on how you list guys like Jimmy Williams. And there are some good TE prospects

It's a terrible draft for WRs. It's also shallow for 3-4 DEs and DTs. Cornerbacks are iffy, with a big drop-off after round 1.

htismaqe
02-08-2006, 09:30 AM
Agree with jsp. It's not as good for our positions of need, but this is a particularly good draft for RBs, LBs, and QBs.

Chiefnj
02-08-2006, 09:33 AM
Agree with jsp. It's not as good for our positions of need, but this is a particularly good draft for RBs, LBs, and QBs.

You really think it's a good QB draft? After Leinert and Young I don't see much. Cutler was supposedly good in practice, but in the game he wasn't anything special. Other than Cutler at the SR. Bowl, I don't think anyone else really helped their cause from what I read.

RB, I agree appears to be deep. LB's always slip in the draft so it's tough to get excited about them.

jspchief
02-08-2006, 09:41 AM
You really think it's a good QB draft? After Leinert and Young I don't see much. Cutler was supposedly good in practice, but in the game he wasn't anything special. Other than Cutler at the SR. Bowl, I don't think anyone else really helped their cause from what I read.

RB, I agree appears to be deep. LB's always slip in the draft so it's tough to get excited about them.Cutler and Croyle both look like they could be good pros. Whitehurst needs time, but has the physical tools. Omar Jacobs, Paul Pinegar, Brett Basanez, Drew Olsen. There's a lot of guys that have potential IMO. Not all of them will be good, but I think there's a nice crop to pick from.

htismaqe
02-08-2006, 10:28 AM

RB, I agree appears to be deep. LB's always slip in the draft so it's tough to get excited about them.

Brodie Croyle has the capability to be the best of this class early. He's NFL-ready now, IMO. Kinda like Roethlisberger.

Other than that, jsp mentioned all the usual suspects.

BigChiefFan
02-08-2006, 11:13 AM
Besides the top 2 guys, Croyle is the only other one that I think for sure will have success. The rest could go either way. Most think Whitehurst will become great because he's a coaches son, but his talent level isn't there ,yet.

The kid from UCLA, might be a good low round pick for the Chiefs.