PDA

View Full Version : Scariest Books You've Ever Read?

Chiefnj
02-08-2006, 09:40 AM
It's the offseason. Any good horror type books out there? What do you recommend?

Saulbadguy
02-08-2006, 09:41 AM
American Psycho.

Donger
02-08-2006, 09:41 AM
It's the offseason. Any good horror type books out there? What do you recommend?

She's Having a Baby: And I'm Having a Breakdown.

Frankie
02-08-2006, 09:44 AM
"The Exorcist" by William Peter Blatty. I was scared even before seeing the movie.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-08-2006, 09:45 AM
"The Three little pigs" ,that big wolf is scary!

Dartgod
02-08-2006, 09:49 AM
It, Stephen King.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-08-2006, 10:07 AM
only book I ever read that gave me a nightmare was It. Though I thought the monster at the end was a lame choice

MOhillbilly
02-08-2006, 10:09 AM
It

Baby Lee
02-08-2006, 10:11 AM
I don't know if it's scary, but the one I remember being so squicked out I had to throw the book into the corner, was Gerald's Game. The 'degloving' scene.

Most paranoid immediacy I've experienced while reading. 1984, when Winston and the girl are captured.

CoMoChief
02-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Seriously I would have to go with any Goosebumps book.

Adept Havelock
02-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Try anything by HP Lovecraft. He wrote some great psychological horror.

phxchief
02-08-2006, 11:17 AM
Michael Jackson: The Man Behind The Plastic

Fish
02-08-2006, 11:24 AM

I don't know if I'd consider Lovecraft scary. Unless you have a fear of Shakespearian style prose. He wrote some good stuff, but nothing that makes you turn the hall light on to get to the bathroom.....

pikesome
02-08-2006, 11:29 AM
It, Stephen King.

By far the scariest I've ever read. I got this book while I was in high school and did nothing but read it for the next 24 hours. Stayed up late the night after I got it, read during all my classes in school, then stayed up to finish it the next night. Those were some rough nights.

pikesome
02-08-2006, 11:32 AM
I don't know if I'd consider Lovecraft scary. Unless you have a fear of Shakespearian style prose. He wrote some good stuff, but nothing that makes you turn the hall light on to get to the bathroom.....

It depends on whether his writing sparks your imagination. His gift was writing about the "indescribable" in such a way that the reader was left to conjure most of the images himself. I personally love Lovecraft, one of my favorite writers of all time, but he is very much an acquired taste.

Moon§hiner
02-08-2006, 12:12 PM
I don't know if it's scary, but the one I remember being so squicked out I had to throw the book into the corner, was Gerald's Game. The 'degloving' scene.

Most paranoid immediacy I've experienced while reading. 1984, when Winston and the girl are captured.

I'd put Gerald's Game up near the top of contiuous thrillers by King...lesson learned, never play with handcuffs..heh

Dunit35
02-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Seriously I would have to go with any Goosebumps book.

LMAO....I remember when those books use to scare the shit out of me. I'm glad my ex got me to realize those books weren't true stories.

AirForceChief
02-08-2006, 12:18 PM
I've read both It and Salem's Lot and I'd have to give the nod to Salem's Lot. I actually turned on all the lights in the room and placed my chair in a corner (away from all windows and doors) to finish that novel off. Ah, good times, good times...

Mike in SW-MO
02-08-2006, 12:44 PM
The Shining gaves me a serious case of the willies when I read it in High school.

Home alone reading in the basement by the fireplace when the power and the lights went out. Continued reading by firelight then started hearing the coyotes yipping somewhere utside. Seriously freaky night.

Robert Bloch's "The Mysteries of the Worm" is pretty good also. Love short horror stories.

Frosty
02-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Field and Wave Electromagnetics

Smith Charts - *BRRRRR* :eek:

munkey
02-08-2006, 01:58 PM
Love short horror stories.

Then you'd love Clive Barker's Books of Blood....

leviw
02-08-2006, 02:00 PM
Being a small-town western Kansas kid, "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote was terrifying. Not in a "boo, what a scary monster" kind of way, but a "damn. that really happened. and could happen again." kind of way.

Prince22
02-08-2006, 02:35 PM
Dennis Rodman "Bad as I Wanna Be"

Spicy McHaggis
02-08-2006, 02:41 PM

I actually just picked up another Lovecraft yesterday. I would say that the greatest part of his writing is the great sense of foreboding he creates. You can also see how much modern culture, well maybe counter-culture has drawn from his works.

morphius
02-08-2006, 02:50 PM
I don't remember any books doing that. I do know that Pet Cemetery creeped me out, not so much the story, but the fact that the lead guy would often say/think what was going through me head right before I read it. Well, until he went crazy and all.

Morphius
almost done with the dark tower series.

redbrian
02-08-2006, 02:51 PM
The Shining gaves me a serious case of the willies when I read it in High school.

Home alone reading in the basement by the fireplace when the power and the lights went out. Continued reading by firelight then started hearing the coyotes yipping somewhere utside. Seriously freaky night.

Robert Bloch's "The Mysteries of the Worm" is pretty good also. Love short horror stories.

I would second the Shining, found a copy in the monthly care package of paper backs while stationed at McConnell.

Dead of winter middle of the airfield in a mobile radar shack by myself, in the dark, have to say it scared the crap out of me.

ck_IN
02-08-2006, 03:28 PM
The Chiefs media guides have been scary for the last 4 or so years. :)

The Stand got my attention. The Dark Half was also pretty good. 1984 is a good thinking mans thriller.

Brock
02-08-2006, 03:33 PM
The Koran.

kc rush
02-08-2006, 04:41 PM
"The Exorcist" by William Peter Blatty. I was scared even before seeing the movie.

Agreed. Scariest scariest book I've read too.

I used to read a lot of Clive Barker books. They were pretty good.

Nzoner
02-08-2006, 05:07 PM
I've read both It and Salem's Lot and I'd have to give the nod to Salem's Lot. I actually turned on all the lights in the room and placed my chair in a corner (away from all windows and doors) to finish that novel off. Ah, good times, good times...

Yep,Salem's Lot was a grat read,it's too bad they screwed up the tv movies so bad.

In order of scary for King novels I've read I'd go

Salem's Lot
The Stand
It
The Shining
Night Shift(a collection of short stories)
Cujo

VonneMarie
02-08-2006, 09:24 PM
A Divine Revelation of Hell.

I read this book my senior year of high school and all I can say is, I had trouble sleeping at night for atleast a month.

No joke. :shake:

Bowser
02-08-2006, 09:33 PM
A Divine Revelation of Hell.

I read this book my senior year of high school and all I can say is, I had trouble sleeping at night for atleast a month.

No joke. :shake:

Synopsis, please?

Chiefnj
02-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Synopsis, please?

I think it is a story about a woman who is visited by Jesus. Jesus lets her experience hell so she can write about it and teach the word of God.

tommykat
02-08-2006, 09:40 PM
The Stand by Stephen King by far~

VonneMarie
02-08-2006, 09:51 PM
I think it is a story about a woman who is visited by Jesus. Jesus lets her experience hell so she can write about it and teach the word of God.
That pretty much sums it up. It really makes you think about the things you do in life and how it would effect you comes judgement day.

If you believe in these things like I do.

4th and Long
02-08-2006, 09:56 PM
The instruction booklet that came with the last entertainment sent I put together.

CosmicPal
02-08-2006, 09:56 PM
Synopsis, please?

Good gawd, has anyone heard of Amazon.com?

Here's a link...I figured there would be a bunch of bible waving fanatics ripping this book apart, and my hunch was right.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0883682796/qid=1139457101/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-5685571-8317541?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

VonneMarie
02-08-2006, 10:01 PM
The instruction booklet that came with the last entertainment sent I put together.
You're stupid. ROFL

HolmeZz
02-08-2006, 10:09 PM
You get scared by a book? Are you a chick?

:)

4th and Long
02-08-2006, 10:11 PM
You're stupid. ROFL
Hey, if you think "A Divine Revelation of Hell" was powerful because some woman got a guided tour through hell, I'll trade that bitch for those entertainment center instructions. The thing had, and I shit you not, over 150 pieces to it. Took me 2 fuggin days to put it together!

VonneMarie
02-08-2006, 10:17 PM
Hey, if you think "A Divine Revelation of Hell" was powerful because some woman got a guided tour through hell, I'll trade that bitch for those entertainment center instructions. The thing had, and I shit you not, over 150 pieces to it. Took me 2 fuggin days to put it together!
So why get it? Did you not see it on the box? What? Did you all of a sudden forget how to read?

4th and Long
02-08-2006, 10:20 PM
So why get it? Did you not see it on the box? What? Did you all of a sudden forget how to read?
It was a gift. It's a long story.

stumppy
02-08-2006, 11:18 PM
I think it is a story about a woman who is visited by Jesus. Jesus lets her experience hell so she can instruct other women on how they should make their husbands feel.

Fixed your post.:D

greg63
02-09-2006, 12:57 AM
...Revelations.

greg63
02-09-2006, 01:02 AM

Ouch!

"I made a bird house in wood shop and the Fair Housing Committee condemned it."

DaneMcCloud
02-09-2006, 01:37 AM
"Skip Towne: Arkansas Gigolo"

Dartgod
02-09-2006, 07:34 AM
The Stand by Stephen King by far~
This has been mentioned a couple of times. Although I consider this to be King's best novel, I don't remember it being all that scary. It has been years since I read it though.

BagoobaChief
02-09-2006, 08:52 AM
I don't remember any books doing that. I do know that Pet Cemetery creeped me out, not so much the story, but the fact that the lead guy would often say/think what was going through me head right before I read it. Well, until he went crazy and all.

Morphius
almost done with the dark tower series.

The Dark Tower was an excellent series of books, but I was a little disappointed with the ending. Maybe it was just me wanting it to not end.

BagoobaChief
02-09-2006, 08:59 AM
By far the scariest I've ever read. I got this book while I was in high school and did nothing but read it for the next 24 hours. Stayed up late the night after I got it, read during all my classes in school, then stayed up to finish it the next night. Those were some rough nights.

I was reading It in the middle of the night, funny how many strange noises that you hear in the middle of the night. Really gave me the eebie-jeebies.

angel
02-09-2006, 09:08 AM
Hannibal by Thomas Harris

This book wasn't necessarily "scary", but while reading, I had to put the book down numerous times because I was scaring myself. This book is written from Hannibal's perspective, and there are many times that I started to see where he was coming from and agree with his philosophy... that's when I had to put the book down and do something else for a while. It was "scary" because of how it leads you to agree with such horrible things at times.

I just finished reading Stephen King's new book, Cell

It wasn't really scary, but it does make you not want to talk on your cell phone for a while after reading it... just in case.

Frankie
02-09-2006, 09:35 AM
This has been mentioned a couple of times. Although I consider this to be King's best novel, I don't remember it being all that scary. It has been years since I read it though.
Has anybody read a short story by SK called "Grandma?" Talk about scary!

keg in kc
02-09-2006, 09:57 AM
I'm not a big fan of the horror genre, but I think King's best is Salem's Lot.

CosmicPal
02-09-2006, 10:27 AM
I'm not a big fan of the horror genre either. I remember reading The Amityville Horror when I was a kid and that damn near scared the crap outta me.

But, for a non-horror book, a good scare is Life of Pi. It's a bizarre book about a kid who's sailing to Canada with his family. His father has a new job as a zoo curator and they are traveling with a bunch of zoo animals.

Trust me, this isn't your Disney Jungle book...

Anyways, the ship sinks in a storm and the kid is on a lifeboat with nothing but a handful of animals. By the end of the novel- there's only two creatures remaining on the lifeboat. The stronger beasts survive by killing and feeding. It is a vivid and surreal account of survival on the open seas. It is very gripping at times. A great read.

Adept Havelock
02-09-2006, 10:35 AM
If you want "real-life" scary, you might also try Nevil Shute's "On The Beach".

A bit dated, but it scared the hell out of me when I first read it.

Nzoner
02-09-2006, 09:19 PM

I referred to it because of the part where Larry has to go through the pitch black tunnel with all the dead still in their cars,on the ground etc. I thought King did a great job with his desription of it and even after 20 years it still gives me the creeps thinking about it.

Dartgod
02-09-2006, 09:43 PM
I referred to it because of the part where Larry has to go through the pitch black tunnel with all the dead still in their cars,on the ground etc. I thought King did a great job with his desription of it and even after 20 years it still gives me the creeps thinking about it.
I guess I've forgotten some of the details since I read it long ago. I've always wanted to read it again, perhaps I should pick up a copy.