PDA

View Full Version : It isn't a meal without the pie

JimNasium
02-10-2006, 07:32 AM
I believe that I now have a new mantra.

Link (http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060210/ENTERTAINMENT01/602100305/1021)

Published February 10, 2006

VILLAGE INN IN SPRINGFIELD »

It isn't a meal without the pie

By Connie Farrow
FOR THE NEWS-LEADER

Village Inn is one of those places where it is tempting to skip the entree and go straight for a slice of pie.

That would be a shame, however, because this time-tested diner offers good old-fashioned comfort foods.

Those watching their waistlines are not left out. The chain is a member of Heart Smart Restaurants International, so menu includes a handful of healthy choices, such as multi-grain pancakes and a Boca Burger.

THE MOOD

The first thing you notice when you enter the Village Inn at 2036 S. Glenstone Ave. is the pies. There is a non-refrigerated case that typically has nine varieties, including cherry and strawberry rhubarb. Behind it, there is a refrigerated case with another seven selections.

THE FOOD

My friend Estha and I decided to have dinner at the Village Inn on a recent weeknight. There was a break from the unusually warm winter days, and we both yearned for something hot and filling.

The menu did not disappoint. It includes chicken-fried steak topped with country sausage gravy, as well as meatloaf and pork chops.

I didn't need to look any further once I spotted the open face hot roast beef sandwich. My mom worked at a diner when I was a kid. It was my meal of choice whenever she allowed us to eat there.

Estha was torn between the soup and sandwich and The Ultimate Skillet, which includes diced ham, vegetables and cheese. She changed her mind after hearing my order, however, and went with the same. She substituted a side salad for the mashed potatoes.

We were both happily satisfied. The roast beef was tender, and the brown gravy was perfection.

Estha and I were close to our $20 limit, including tip, and planned to stop there. The waitress baited us by asking if we wanted pie. The sight of that pie case lingered in our minds. Estha went for a half-slice of No-Sugar-Added Apple, and I had a half-slice of Banana Cream. The menu promises "there's no pie quite like Village Inn pie." It did not disappoint.

THE SERVICE

Our waitress made regular stops by our table to fill our glasses with tea. She was pleasant but did not engage us in small talk. The cashier, however, quizzed us about our meal. She noted they work hard to properly prepare the roast beef but offered that they sometimes get a bad cut of meat. We assured her that it was delicious.

BOTTOM LINE

We broke the budget. In our defense, however, we would have been fine — and full — if we had not indulged in the pie. What fun would that be, though?

teedubya
02-10-2006, 07:37 AM
Veterans worldwide are lining up outside, as we speak. Thanks for creating pandamonium, JimNasium.

Kerberos
02-10-2006, 07:47 AM
I believe that I now have a new mantra.

Link (http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060210/ENTERTAINMENT01/602100305/1021)

Published February 10, 2006

VILLAGE INN IN SPRINGFIELD »

It isn't a meal without the pie

I'd take a Good Craker Barrel before Village in any day.

Nothing like thier "hashbrown cassarole"

:D

NewChief
02-10-2006, 07:48 AM
Someone actually wrote a restaurant review on the f'ing Village Inn? Why not hit up McDonald's and review it next. Good lord.

JimNasium
02-10-2006, 07:50 AM
Someone actually wrote a restaurant review on the f'ing Village Inn? Why not hit up McDonald's and review it next. Good lord.
It's not about Village Inn, it's about the pie. Get your priorities straight. :shake:

Saulbadguy
02-10-2006, 07:51 AM
Free dum dums.

Dartgod
02-10-2006, 07:56 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=53401

JimNasium
02-10-2006, 07:58 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=53401
Now this is a Church with the correct priorities. The huddled masses of CP should learn a lesson from this marquee.

Hammock Parties
02-10-2006, 08:16 AM

It's humorous! ROFL

Rain Man
02-10-2006, 09:49 AM
My wife won't let me go to the Village Inn, but truth be told, their club sandwich with fries, followed by a nice piece of lemon pie, makes for an excellent meal.

DMAC
02-10-2006, 10:11 AM
It's like Ziggys, only good if you are drunk.

gblowfish
02-10-2006, 10:24 AM
I would like to buy some pie!