PDA

View Full Version : Old TV-Western fans... "The Big Valley", on DVD.

Frankie
02-11-2006, 03:06 PM
Technically another imitation of Bonanza, but Better IMO.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5083

FAX
02-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Mr. Frankie, you seem like a really nice person. Your football knowledge contributes greatly to this board and you are undoubtedly wise and well informed.

But, don't you realize that it's this kind of sh*t that is the reason we are hated around the world?

FAX

Frankie
02-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Mr. Frankie, you seem like a really nice person. Your football knowledge contributes greatly to this board and you are undoubtedly wise and well informed.

But, don't you realize that it's this kind of sh*t that is the reason we are hated around the world?

FAX

Thanks for the buttering up. ;) But this series transcended the typical shoot-the-indians type of Westerns. It had pretty good human interest stories, likable characters and the ever-important memorable theme music. Westerns are actually pretty popular world-wide. They are the American mythology.

FAX
02-11-2006, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the buttering up. ;) But this series transcended the typical shoot-the-indians type of Westerns. It had pretty good human interest stories, likable characters and the ever-important memorable theme music. Westerns are actually pretty popular world-wide. They are the American mythology.

Okay, Mr. Frankie. I give up.

I can see this is a debate in which I could never hope to prevail as it is clearly a subjective issue and any arguments I could make would rely solely upon the most trite and overused themes of American decadence and dissonant priorities.

Go ahead and sign me up for one of these f*ckers.

FAX

Frankie
02-11-2006, 03:49 PM
Are you arguing that Westerns make America unpopular? Or did I miss your point?

FAX
02-11-2006, 04:02 PM
Are you arguing that Westerns make America unpopular? Or did I miss your point?

No, Mr. Frankie. It's isn't Westerns per se. Although, even though I am descended from pioneer stock, the argument could be made that the "Taking Of The West" (including the concept of eminent domain) was a classic form of the doctrine of material expansionism and emperialism for the purpose of expanded economic influence.

The argument I would probably rely upon (which I am not, of course) would likely be the fact that Americans have little better to do with their money in the face of rampant world-wide starvation, graft, rising oil prices, and the continuing dominance of the military/industrial complex (which Ike warned us of) than to purchase television reruns at 40 bucks a pop.

FAX

Frankie
02-11-2006, 04:05 PM
No, Mr. Frankie. It's isn't Westerns per se. Although, even though I am descended from pioneer stock, the argument could be made that the "Taking Of The West" (including the concept of emminent domain) was a classic form of the doctrine of material expansionism and emperialism for the purpose of expanded economic influence.

The argument I would probably rely upon (which I am not, of course) would likely be the fact that Americans have little better to do with their money in the face of rampant world-wide starvation, graft, rising oil prices, and the continuing dominance of the military/industrial complex (which Ike warned us of) than to purchase television reruns at 40 bucks a pop.

FAX
God! Now I'm sorry I started this thread. ROFL Thanks for showing me the way to salvation, Mr FAX.

Frankie
02-11-2006, 08:58 PM
No love for Audra?

StcChief
02-11-2006, 11:26 PM
Story / plot, eye candy, etc.

Big Valley was better than

Hoss, little Joe, Hopsing, etc on Bonanza

mississippichiefan
02-12-2006, 12:59 AM
The big valley was a great show and westerns were great . John Wayne and Clint Eastwood are real men not like the majority of the actors of today . :) Who cares what the rest of the world thinks .

greg63
02-12-2006, 01:26 AM
I can remember watching those western TV shows when I was a kid.

The Wild Wild West was another one of my favorites.

chefsos
02-12-2006, 01:28 AM
No love for Audra?
That would be the very young Linda Evans, if memory serves.

Frankie
02-12-2006, 10:38 AM
That would be the very young Linda Evans, if memory serves.
You are correct, sir.
http://www.stewartsattic.com/Marx/specials/whosjohnny/lindaevans.jpg

Frankie
02-12-2006, 01:36 PM
http://www.meredy.com/babs4.jpg

milkman
02-12-2006, 04:36 PM
I can remember watching those western TV shows when I was a kid.

The Wild Wild West was another one of my favorites.

The Wild, Wild, West is one of my favorite TV shows, ever.

4th and Long
02-12-2006, 04:49 PM
http://www.meredy.com/babs4.jpg
No love for Lee Majors?

Braincase
02-12-2006, 04:51 PM
We should create a superrace of Barbra Stanwyck ButchMarines and take over the world.

Frankie
02-12-2006, 07:03 PM
No love for Lee Majors?
He was a bit overshadowed by Peter Breck and Richard Long for the male stud of that series.

Ahem, of course I wouldn't know, would I? (cough, cough)

I figured that out from my mom's comments on Nick and Jarred Barkley.