PDA

View Full Version : If you were coaching the AFC in the Pro-Bowl when would you have pulled Manning?

Chiefs Express
02-13-2006, 08:45 AM
I'd have pulled him soon after interception #2 or immediately after #3.
But then I think Manning is much overrated.

NewChief
02-13-2006, 08:48 AM
Shanahan's plan was faulty from the get go. The NFCs use of QBs was much smarter. They played each QB for a quarter, leaving them the 4th Quarter to play whichever one gave them the best chance of winning. The rat backed himself into a corner by not putting McNair in until the 4th Quarter, which forced him to play him that entire quarter.

Hoover
02-13-2006, 08:49 AM
Well its not a real game, so I would have done it this way.

1st Qtr - Mannng
2nd Qtr - Green
3rd Qtr - Green for 2 possesions
McNair dor the rest of the game, same would hold true for the running backs.

jspchief
02-13-2006, 08:50 AM
If I was a pro bowl coach, I'd have a predetermined number of minutes the guy was going to play, regardless of how he played. I wouldn't pull him out mid-drive if those minutes had expired.

Benching a player due to performance in the Pro Bowl is silly, and begs for a media shitstorm.

I do think Manning should not have received an entire half, but I guess if you want to be technical, he was the only AFC QB that actually got voted in, while the other two got in due to injury to other QBs.

Bob Dole
02-13-2006, 08:53 AM
Bob Dole thought Shanarat's Little League approach adequately served to illustrate his genious.

Garcia Bronco
02-13-2006, 08:56 AM
I would have played Manning for the first half...and Green for the second half.....McNair didn't even get their until wednesday.

Bob Dole
02-13-2006, 08:58 AM
I would have played Manning for the first half...and Green for the second half.....McNair didn't even get their until wednesday.

And missed out on his valuable contributions the first two series he played?

No way.

jspchief
02-13-2006, 09:02 AM
I would have played Manning for the first half...and Green for the second half.....McNair didn't even get their until wednesday.Not playing McNair would have been deemed a snub by the media and it would have been a disaster. It also would have been disrespectful to McNair.

I'm sure the coaches and players want to win, but they also have to respect the spirit of what the game is about. Granted, McNair backed in, but I think not playing him would have created a media circus.

Chiefs Express
02-13-2006, 09:25 AM
Not playing McNair would have been deemed a snub by the media and it would have been a disaster. It also would have been disrespectful to McNair.

I'm sure the coaches and players want to win, but they also have to respect the spirit of what the game is about. Granted, McNair backed in, but I think not playing him would have created a media circus.

IIRC it's been done before.

Garcia Bronco
02-13-2006, 09:42 AM
Not playing McNair would have been deemed a snub by the media and it would have been a disaster. It also would have been disrespectful to McNair.

I wouldn't care...as you could see yesterday...the guy couldn't even get the ball from center and basically ruined our chance to win.

Saulbadguy
02-13-2006, 09:44 AM
I'd love to just end the Pro Bowl.

jidar
02-13-2006, 09:50 AM
I'd play all of the players, because really it's not the same as benching a 2nd year QB. Let's face it, they're all good or they wouldn't be there.

I'd game plan for each one of them to cater to their strengths. You know, simple things like having pocket passers sit in the pocket and not roll out. Didn't Shannahan get the memo that Plummer wasn't there? Sheesh.

Honestly, if the coach can't get it done with any mixture of probowl players he's got nobody to blame but himself.

Phobia
02-13-2006, 09:55 AM
I would have pulled Manning immediately prior to all his turnovers.

Chiefs Express
02-13-2006, 10:23 AM
I'd love to just end the Pro Bowl.

For what reason?

Chiefs Express
02-13-2006, 10:23 AM
I would have pulled Manning immediately prior to all his turnovers.

That would be at the beginning of the game?

phxchief
02-13-2006, 11:27 AM
I wouldn't have played him in the rain.

It's clear Manning needs to be in a dome to succeed. The elements bother him.

Inspector
02-13-2006, 11:57 AM
I'd pull all of the interviews during the game.

I got so sick and tired of missing half the friggin game so we could hear a player get interviewed.

Save that crap until after the game. Don't upstage the action for it.

And I'd just let each QB play for a quarter. It's not like they were playing football of anything. More like "pretend football". I expect next year to see them wearing flags so nobody will need to make a tackle.

Color Red
02-13-2006, 12:05 PM
I would have played players however they had the best compliment of other players on the squad from their own teams. Notice Vick finally scored a TD pass to Crumpler, a player he was obviously more familiar with.

I would also have given greater consistent consideration to players whose play warranted play or consideration. Larry Johnson stole the AFC on the ground this year, but James or Tomlinson got most of the minutes in the probowl. Of course when you needed blocking out of the tailback I would have sat Johnson... as per the Dallas game experience...

Unfortunately most media and people seem to think that Manning is God's gift to the NFL and Shanny probably treated him like that. But I would have tried to work the James-Manning-Harrison connections as best I could, taking advantages of their familiarity with each other. Work Green with Gonzalez as that was effective. Work the McNair plays with that Titan lineman probowler who was tearing them up on defense.. just kidding.

With McNair showing up midweek I wouldn't have felt so comfortable feeling forced to get him a full quarter to play.

It's a crap shoot. I'm surprised more ProBowls don't play like this year's did. It's not an exact science as you see.

Hey did you hear that Trent Green was the first Chief quarterback to get multiple Pro Bowl appearances? 'szat right?? So Lenny the Cool never appeared more than once?

dj56dt58
02-13-2006, 12:17 PM
I would have kept him in as an offensive linemen and watch him get ****ed up...Not while Green was in though. Then McNair could bitch to Manning about "Protection Issues"

Dartgod
02-13-2006, 12:41 PM
I would also have given greater consistent consideration to players whose play warranted play or consideration. Larry Johnson stole the AFC on the ground this year, but James or Tomlinson got most of the minutes in the probowl. Of course when you needed blocking out of the tailback I would have sat Johnson... as per the Dallas game experience...
There should be no reason to keep the tailback in for blocking when there is no blitzing allowed.

sedated
02-13-2006, 01:15 PM
McNair had to play, it will most likely be his last pro-bowl.

Too bad they had to finish the game with him, Green could have drove the 2-min drill to a TD.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-13-2006, 01:24 PM
I would have pulled Peyton out just as soon as I found out Green was going to be in the Pro bowl. I also would not have even let LT or Edge play when I had LJ. LJ did lead the game in rushing ya know.

TheBurryMan
02-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Nah. As long as he's not a player on my team I would've kept him in there until he got hurt. That way, the entire AFC wouldn't have to play against him next season.

FAX
02-13-2006, 01:59 PM
I would have pulled Manning after int #3. Then, I would have had all the other players on the team line up and take turns bitchslapping him until he cried.

Seriously, they should rotate the QBs 1 quarter each unless they needed to finish a drive. Put the best performing QB back in in the 4th.

There were two things about the way ratface handled this that I really didn't like; 1) Putting Trent in to take a knee at the end of the 2nd (I suppose Manning didn't want to get his knee dirty) and 2) Calling plays clearly designed to get our guys hurt. You cannot tell me that he wasn't trying to get Gonzo hurt with the quick flat passes.

FAX

cadmonkey
02-13-2006, 02:26 PM
For what reason?

Its a pointless game that no one has any interest in. The players don't take it serious except the QB's and WR's because they get no defensive preasure at all.

I too could do without the pro owel unless, like baseball, they attach some sort of meaning to the game, like homefield advantage in the Superbowl but that would meant they might have to play in cold weather stadiums and god for f*cking bid they give a cold weather team home field advantage.

cmh6476
02-13-2006, 02:35 PM
I think I'd try to break the game into thirds.

60 minutes, give each of them 20 minutes of gametime. Let them finish the series they are on once the 20 mins rolls over, and then put the next QB in for the next series...

cmh6476
02-13-2006, 02:36 PM
Its a pointless game that no one has any interest in. The players don't take it serious except the QB's and WR's because they get no defensive preasure at all.

I too could do without the pro owel unless, like baseball, they attach some sort of meaning to the game, like homefield advantage in the Superbowl but that would meant they might have to play in cold weather stadiums and god for f*cking bid they give a cold weather team home field advantage.

i think the extra $20k meant something to the players...

cadmonkey
02-13-2006, 02:44 PM
i think the extra $20k meant something to the players...

well of course the money means something but the actual game means jack shit. no one goes out there and says "Lets win this game, its do or die time, lets do this for the whole AFC!!!!!!!!"

Its a joke.

Chiefs Express
02-13-2006, 02:51 PM
There should be no reason to keep the tailback in for blocking when there is no blitzing allowed.

It seemed that the tailback was always delaying out over the middle. Just kept him back for show.

FAX
02-13-2006, 02:59 PM
Anybody know what the run/pass ratio was while Manning was in the game?

FAX

DJJasonp
02-13-2006, 03:09 PM
Immediately after I heard him whining like a bitch to the players and refs about the new footballs.

FAX
02-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Okay. First half pass attempts: 26. First half rush attempts: 10 (including Trent's kneel-down to end the half).

Somebody tell me they weren't trying to make Manning look like the NFL's all-time hero.

FAX

Sully
02-13-2006, 04:52 PM
At one point The Rat put Johnson in on a second down play, and it was a pass LJ stayed in to block for. Then on 3rd down Tomlinson was back in.
I figured right then he was trying to get Manning hurt.

Miles
02-13-2006, 05:01 PM
Manning was only QB that was not an alternate and is one of the most popular players in the game. Can't say I like manning but did not think it was unreasonable to leave him in for the first half.

Garcia Bronco
02-13-2006, 05:39 PM
Anybody know what the run/pass ratio was while Manning was in the game?

FAX

Neither team ran all day

Mile High Mania
02-13-2006, 05:40 PM
I'm guessing that Shanahan was enjoying watching Manning throw picks.

Anubis_Zyklon
02-13-2006, 06:48 PM
If I was a pro bowl coach, I'd have a predetermined number of minutes the guy was going to play, regardless of how he played. I wouldn't pull him out mid-drive if those minutes had expired.

Benching a player due to performance in the Pro Bowl is silly, and begs for a media shitstorm.

I do think Manning should not have received an entire half, but I guess if you want to be technical, he was the only AFC QB that actually got voted in, while the other two got in due to injury to other QBs.

I think that was kind of the thinking there. The commentators were saying how McNair didnt have a lot of time to work with the other players and therefore had some issues with the snap and whatnot.