PDA

View Full Version : Jets ask Pennington to massive take pay cut

Mr. Laz
02-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Report: Jets ask Pennington to massive take pay cut

Chris Mortensen reports on ESPN that the New York Jets have asked quarterback Chad Pennington to take a massive pay cut to a $1 million base salary with playing time incentives that would compensate for the remaining $8 million they owe him

Pennington is currently rehabbing from his second right shoulder surgery in two years and has been out since the third game of the 2005 season. He is due a $3 million roster bonus the first week of March.

As the Jets' starter he has a 15-6 record and a 102.9 passer rating when he's feeling no pain, an 8-12 mark and an 82.5 rating when he's injured or rehabbing from an injury.

Eleazar
02-13-2006, 11:35 AM
The king of overrated...

kaplin42
02-13-2006, 11:37 AM
seems reasonable to me, if you are constantly injured, then you dont need to be making that kind of money. Which brings up the question, why havent we done this with Sims yet?

htismaqe
02-13-2006, 11:39 AM
[free agency homer]Bring him to KC![/free agency homer]

Dunit35
02-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Pennington will never be the same again.

jidar
02-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Stick a fork in him.

Mr. Laz
02-13-2006, 12:04 PM
[free agency homer]Bring him to KC![/free agency homer]
[fan hater]Chiefs fans are never happy with the players they have[/fan hater]

htismaqe
02-13-2006, 12:13 PM
[fan hater]Chiefs fans are never happy with the players they have[/fan hater]

ROFL

tyton75
02-13-2006, 12:31 PM
The only way I want him is maybe at Todd Collins backup/replacement... and on the same sort of payscale

BigRock
02-13-2006, 12:37 PM
I don't think Chad would be that bad a signing, assuming he came real cheap. If Trent went down for a few games, a guy like Pennington who's been starting for the past several seasons (and has playoff wins under his belt) seems more appealing than anyone we have at the moment.

But considering how much Herm always seemed to be in love with Chad, I'd fear it being a "he'll be a backup until Trent retires, and then he'll take over" situation. Nuts to that.

Sure-Oz
02-13-2006, 12:38 PM
Dude had no arm in the first place, he'll be like gannon if that now.

Scaga
02-13-2006, 12:45 PM
Jets will have a new starter this season.
I'm thinking Drew Brees will end up there.

jAZ
02-13-2006, 12:45 PM
How I wish we had kept Gannon over Grbac. If you are trying to talk me outa wanting Pennington that's the wrong comparison. Gannon was a much better QB than Grbac.

I'd take Pennington as a cheap FA backup. Give him a few years to rehab and *maybe* he can be a starter again. With Trent as our QBOTPresent, and Collins as our 1st backup, and both guys having played lengthy careers already... a younger but experience backup/QBOTF candidate on the cheap makes a lot of sense.

It's not like Herm is going to pull Trent in favor of Chad anytime soon.

oldandslow
02-13-2006, 12:49 PM
I will say that this is the reason I have sympathy for player hold-outs.

The Jets signed this contract as well.

Brock
02-13-2006, 12:52 PM

That's why players always get a signing bonus. Pennington got 23 million dollars just to sign a contract.

htismaqe
02-13-2006, 01:22 PM

I don't have any sympathy for them.

When they do well, they want more money. When they do poorly, they sure as hell don't offer to take a paycut.

Spicy McHaggis
02-13-2006, 01:27 PM

He's not getting any younger either, he'll be 30 by the time the season starts. I never really saw why the media loved him as much as they do, he's basically only been healthy for one season in his career.

Eleazar
02-13-2006, 01:27 PM
...a guy like Pennington who's been starting for the past several seasons

By "starting" do you mean, never played a full season in his career, missed all but 3 games last year, had rotator surgery before that, etc...?

He's not what I would call a starter, more like the Juan Gonzalez of the Jets...

Spicy McHaggis
02-13-2006, 01:43 PM
He's not what I would call a starter, more like the Juan Gonzalez of the Jets...

Eh, I was always under the impression Pennington was at least trying.