PDA

View Full Version : Sutton charged with DUI, career likely over

sedated
02-13-2006, 01:25 PM
Sorry if RePost, didn't see it anywhere.

Stillwater police cited Oklahoma State coach Eddie Sutton with driving under the influence after a Friday traffic accident but did not jail him on a complaint because of a lack of physical evidence, the city's police chief said Monday.

Unrelated to the report, the university announced Monday that Sutton had asked to take a leave of absence for the remainder of the season.

"Coach Sutton has been dealing with constant back and hip problems the last couple of seasons and after last Friday's accident he feels this is the best decision for his health and for the team," said OSU System CEO and president David Schmidly.

"It has been an extremely difficult season," Sutton said. "With my deteriorating physical condition and other issues, I have been under a tremendous amount of stress. I told Dr. Schmidly I was close to making this decision after the trip to Kansas State because the pain in my back was making it very difficult to coach. After Friday's events, I know it is best to go on medical leave the remainder of the season to address my future health. It is very difficult to step away from the team."

The school said no decision has been made regarding Sutton's plans for next season. University officials said in a statement that they would not comment on the DUI citation because of privacy and legal reasons.

Sutton's son, Sean, who will take over as head coach of the team when Sutton retires, will lead the team the rest of the season.

Police are awaiting the results of blood tests that will confirm whether the 69-year-old was driving under the influence at the time of the accident, Stillwater Chief Norman McNickle said. It could take six to eight weeks to receive the test results.

Under Oklahoma law, driving under the influence can include a range of substances, including prescription painkillers or alcohol.

According to a report in The Oklahoman, witnesses reported smelling a "slight fruity odor" on the coach's breath and seeing a bottle of hydrocodone, a narcotic pain reliever related to codeine, in his SUV. McNickle wouldn't discuss whether alcohol or medication was a contributing factor to the accident.

"I can't say anything more," McNickle told The Oklahoman.

Sutton was not given a field sobriety test at the time of the accident because he needed medical treatment, McNickle said. Before issuing a DUI citation "officers have to have reasonable suspicion to believe the person was under the influence at the time," the chief said, declining to discuss those suspicions because they are part of an ongoing investigation.

Sutton was traveling to the Stillwater airport to fly with his team to College Station, Texas, when the accident occurred Friday. According to a police report, Sutton's sport utility vehicle went left of the centerline on a Stillwater street, corrected and then struck another SUV from behind at a speed of about 60 mph.

Sutton was hospitalized overnight for a head injury and released Saturday after the two-vehicle accident. The occupant of the other SUV received minor injuries and was released at the scene, officers said.

The police department has filed complaints against Sutton for speeding and traveling left of center, the chief said.

Witnesses told police that shortly before the accident, Sutton was unsteady on his feet and struck his head after falling in the parking lot of Gallagher-Iba Arena before entering his vehicle, according to a statement released Saturday by Stillwater police.

Sutton, who resigned in 1989 from a Kentucky program placed on four years' probation by the NCAA, arrived at his alma mater in 1990 with a chance to rebuild the Cowboys' program. At his introductory news conference he said he recognized three years earlier that he had a problem with alcohol and said, "I've dealt with it." He received treatment at the Betty Ford Center.

At Oklahoma State he added to his already impressive record with 15 straight seasons of at least 17 wins. He has taken the Cowboys to the NCAA Tournament's Final Four twice -- in 1995 and 2004.

He entered this season -- his 16th at Oklahoma State and 36th overall -- with a chance to reach 800 wins. If he fell short of the mark, Sutton said he'd have to consider after the season whether to retire or return.

With six regular-season games remaining, Sutton ends the season six wins short at 794. The Cowboys are 13-11 (3-7 Big 12 Conference), and the coach recently criticized his team's mental and physical toughness, calling it the "softest team in 16 years that I have ever coached."

In Monday's statement, Sutton said, "The season has not gone as we wished, but we have a talented and fine group of young men and I look for them to finish the season strong. I won't be on the bench, but I'll be with them."

Assistant coach James Dickey, who took Sutton's place on the Big 12 coaches conference call on Monday morning, said Sutton addressed his players twice by phone Sunday to tell them of his plans.

"I'm sure they were disappointed," Dickey said. "As you can imagine, the players listened intently. But they all wished him the best, told him they loved him. He told them he loved them, to stay on the books and play hard and do their best to beat the Jayhawks tonight."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

cmh6476
02-13-2006, 01:37 PM
so the jayhawks by 4 is a safe bet? :shrug:

Skip Towne
02-13-2006, 01:39 PM
This should be a lesson to us all. Don't drink and drive. Smoke pot instead.

sedated
02-13-2006, 01:42 PM
it's funny to see an old geezer get a DUI. what is he, 80?

next he'll be admitting he is an alcoholic (step 2 in the "Celebrity DUI Rules")

ChiefsFanatic
02-13-2006, 03:19 PM
They said on ESPN that the DUI may be related to painkillers for his back. They did not rule out the drink though.

ct
02-13-2006, 03:24 PM
I wouldn't at all be shocked if he is cited as DUI of Hydrocodone. That's some good stuff!!

I had 4 teeth pulled right before getting braces, tried to come to work the next day on that stuff. Out on smoke break early in the morning I got the hiccups, no BS, couldn't get rid of them. My 2 co-workers with me were LTAO, said between my slurred speech, wobbly balance (lack of) and hiccups, there would have sworn under oath that I was blasted!

CoMoChief
02-13-2006, 03:28 PM
I kinda had a hunch that this was the reason of the accident after the university not saying anything on what caused it. Does it mean he was drunk? no, but maybe he was over the legal limit, we all have had those instances.

ArrowheadHawk
02-13-2006, 04:53 PM
poor guy

greg63
02-13-2006, 04:59 PM
poor guy

Yeah, I actually disliked him a lot less then the other Oklahoma coach; ya know, whats-his-name?

Skip Towne
02-13-2006, 06:41 PM
it's funny to see an old geezer get a DUI. what is he, 80?

next he'll be admitting he is an alcoholic (step 2 in the "Celebrity DUI Rules")
It was in the Tulsa World today that he has already been to the Betty Ford Center several years ago for alcohol. He only needs 6 more wins to reach 800. OSU will find a way to get him those wins. I hope they do. BTW, the other Oklahoma coach is Sampson.

chagrin
02-13-2006, 06:48 PM
Sounds like he's "primed" to go over to Cincy and coach their men's bball team

Skip Towne
02-13-2006, 06:55 PM
Sounds like he's "primed" to go over to Cincy and coach their men's bball team
Colorado would be another possibility. They don't care what their coaches do. Was it Neuheisel that chartered a helicopter to take him 15 miles to a practice? He said he didn't want to fight the traffic.

4th and Long
02-13-2006, 06:58 PM
Some stations are reporting he may not have been drunk but instead, under the influence of pain killers that were prescribed to him for his back pain.

Eleazar
02-13-2006, 06:59 PM
Unfortunately, men can become known as well for what's mastered them as what they've mastered.

Skip Towne
02-13-2006, 07:16 PM
Some stations are reporting he may not have been drunk but instead, under the influence of pain killers that were prescribed to him for his back pain.
Possibly but he has alcohol abuse in his past. The Tulsa World also said the lab results wouldn't be back for 3-4 weeks. What BS. They are just waiting for it to blow over. Somebody else will be on the front page in 3-4 weeks.

4th and Long
02-13-2006, 07:18 PM
Possibly but he has alcohol abuse in his past. The Tulsa World also said the lab results wouldn't be back for 3-4 weeks. What BS. They are just waiting for it to blow over. Somebody else will be on the front page in 3-4 weeks.
3-4 weeks? That IS BS.

I can get you lab results for intoxication in less than 30 minutes.

3-4 weeks, my ass.

chief52
02-13-2006, 07:55 PM

However, that is not really relevant. It is the same charge to be under the influence of a prescribed medicine or alcohol. Same thing.

4th and Long
02-13-2006, 07:58 PM
However, that is not really relevant. It is the same charge to be under the influence of a prescribed medicine or alcohol. Same thing.
I was in way, shape or form, calculating an argument designed to help Sutton avoid a DUI, chief.

Skip Towne
02-13-2006, 07:59 PM
3-4 weeks? That IS BS.

I can get you lab results for intoxication in less than 30 minutes.

3-4 weeks, my ass.
Exactly. If they wanted those results all they would have to do is pick up the phone. They are just waiting to become old news. Good plan.

chief52
02-13-2006, 08:02 PM
I was in way, shape or form, calculating an argument designed to help Sutton avoid a DUI, chief.

Gotcha...but I do not think it will fly, at least I know it will not in CA but every state is different. If you are under the influence you are under the influence regardless if it is something you drank or it is being taken under a doctor's orders. It might just look better in the public eye.

Skip Towne
02-13-2006, 08:06 PM
Gotcha...but I do not think it will fly, at least I know it will not in CA but every state is different. If you are under the influence you are under the influence regardless if it is something you drank or it is being taken under a doctor's orders. It might just look better in the public eye.
Are you aware that Sutton makes in excess of $1 mil per year? Don't you think he can make a simple DUI disappear? Look what OJ did with capital murder for your answer.

Smed1065
02-13-2006, 08:17 PM
I believe it will come back as Pain killers.. I have had those pills as well from the dentist. If it was alcohol, it would have been a quick breathalizer. Stating a blood test makes me believe it was pain killers instead.

Halfcan
02-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Oklahomo cops are real azzholes.

greg63
02-13-2006, 11:01 PM
Oklahomo cops are real azzholes.

...Yup. Cops in Kansas aren't that great either.

greg63
02-13-2006, 11:05 PM
Are you aware that Sutton makes in excess of $1 mil per year? Don't you think he can make a simple DUI disappear? Look what OJ did with capital murder for your answer.

Yeah, but Johnnie Cochran is no longer available. :D

Halfcan
02-13-2006, 11:05 PM
...Yup. Cops in Kansas aren't that great either.

If that would have been me driving through OK drunk, I am sure those test results would have been on the spot, not weeks away. The coach probably will get a slap on the hand.

greg63
02-13-2006, 11:13 PM
If that would have been me driving through OK drunk, I am sure those test results would have been on the spot, not weeks away. The coach probably will get a slap on the hand.

For sure, it wouldn't have gotten as far as a blood test if it were you or me; they would have just gone straight to the arraignment.

Halfcan
02-13-2006, 11:15 PM
For sure, it wouldn't have gotten as far as a blood test if it were you or me; they would have just gone straight to the arraignment.

LOL, hell I was doing 4 miles over and it's a $65 ticket. A Dui for a Missouri Boy would cost 10k plus 30 days in jail.

greg63
02-13-2006, 11:26 PM
LOL, hell I was doing 4 miles over and it's a $65 ticket. A Dui for a Missouri Boy would cost 10k plus 30 days in jail.

ROFLROFLROFLROFL

Yeah, I fined about that much for a failure to yeild.

I can remember traveling through Chetopa, speed trap capital of Kansas, on my way to Missouri one time and just before entering the city limits this guy shoots around me. I pass him again on the other side of town near the bridge as one exit the city limits having been pulled over by the local police. I had to laugh out loud as I drove by.