PDA

View Full Version : If you have ever wondered how it all came to this...

Chiefs Express
02-13-2006, 01:55 PM
Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58.
The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I
pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there,
holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on
her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just
give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While
he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and
cried.

Why do I tell you this? Because of the evolution in teaching math
since the 1950s:

Teaching Math In 1950
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of
production is 4/5 of the price.
What is his profit?

Teaching Math In 1960
production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

Teaching Math In 1970
production is $80. Did he make a profit?

Teaching Math In 1980
production is $80 and his profit is $20
Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

Teaching Math In 1990
A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and
inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the
preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit
of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for
class participation after answering the question: How did the birds
and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are
no wrong answers.)

Teaching Math In 2005
Un hachero vende una carretada de madera para $100. El costo de la
producci?n es $80...

This may be old, but it seems to be more true each day as we go.

Thank you for reading. ------------------- Por nada!

Pants
02-13-2006, 01:58 PM
Yeap, back in dem good ol days kid were reel smart!

Simplex3
02-13-2006, 01:58 PM
I don't know man, I have my great-grandmother's high school math book and I can't do half of it.

Pants
02-13-2006, 02:00 PM
I don't know man, I have my great-grandmother's high school math book and I can't do half of it.

Can you do a half of Calculus I/II ABBC AP textbook?

stevieray
02-13-2006, 02:02 PM
I'm impressed when someone knows how to count your change back.

nine out of ten times, they can't.

Pants
02-13-2006, 02:03 PM

That's why they work at Burger King.

stevieray
02-13-2006, 02:04 PM
That's why they work at Burger King.

It's not limited to fast food.

Saulbadguy
02-13-2006, 02:05 PM
I've never had that problem.

They must hire smarter people to work at the Burger Kings in my town. You know, cream of the crop.

Skip Towne
Hey, junior, we walked 10 miles to school through 2 feet of snow in 110 degree heat. Uphill both ways!

Simplex3
No, but a majority of today's HS graduates wouldn't even know that you were talking about math.

Pants
02-13-2006, 02:06 PM
Hey, junior, we walked 10 miles to school through 2 feet of snow in 110 degree heat. Uphill both ways!

ROFL

Chiefs Express

What's your point? Are you trying to say that the kids that graduate from HS today have as good of an education as an 8th grader in the 50's?

There is a test floating around, been on the internet for years, of an 8th grade final exam. More HS age kids fail that test than pass it. There is even an abysmal record for college students that fail that same exam.

To get to Calculus in Kansas HS's you have to pass Algebra I, II, and Trig. If you check the numbers there are fewer in that class than a full load in virtually every HS in the nation.

Saulbadguy
No, but a majority of today's HS graduates wouldn't even know that you were talking about math.
Yeah. They are stupid. They smoke too much pot.

Simplex3
02-13-2006, 02:08 PM
Yeah. They are stupid. They smoke too much pot.
Hey, I defend their right to be stupid. Less competition for my kids and I.

Saulbadguy
02-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Good deal. Your kids may be washing lettuce today, but one day..they will get to those fries. May even make assistant manager!

Pants
02-13-2006, 02:10 PM
What's your point? Are you trying to say that the kids that graduate from HS today have as good of an education as an 8th grader in the 50's?

There is a test floating around, been on the internet for years, of an 8th grade final exam. More HS age kids fail that test than pass it. There is even an abysmal record for college students that fail that same exam.

To get to Calculus in Kansas HS's you have to pass Algebra I, II, and Trig. If you check the numbers there are fewer in that class than a full load in virtually every HS in the nation.

In my highschool, we had two Calculus I/II (1st semester - calc 1, 2nd semester - cal 2) and a Calculus III/Differential math class. I know smaller schools don't even come close, but they didn't in the 50's either. I'm sure the technology has dumbed down kids a lot, but rest assured, those who want to learn, will.

Rain Man
02-13-2006, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I'm very thankful for stupid people. They cut down my competition immensely.

But then I think, do stupid people really know they're stupid, or do they think they're smart and they're just too stupid to figure out otherwise? What if I'm a stupid person and I just don't know it, and there's a whole better world out there where the smart people are, and they're laughing at me and feeling thankful, and I'm too stupid to even know what they're doing?

Simplex3
Good deal. Your kids may be washing lettuce today, but one day..they will get to those fries. May even make assistant manager!
ROFL

Actually, one of my kids is taking a nap and the other is doing puzzles. They're two and four.

jidar
The person who authored the punchline to that joke probably also uses the term "intellectual" in a derogatory manner.

Saulbadguy
02-13-2006, 02:12 PM
In my highschool, we had two Calculus I/II (1st semester - calc 1, 2nd semester - cal 2) and a Calculus III/Differential math class. I know smaller schools don't even come close, but they didn't in the 50's either. I'm sure the technology has dumbed down kids a lot, but rest assured, those who want to learn, will.
I helped one of my buddies clean out his storage shed last year, and he had quite a few old textbooks from the 50's.

No wonder why some of these old farts turned out the way they did.

Simplex3
Yeah, I'm very thankful for stupid people. They cut down my competition immensely.

But then I think, do stupid people really know they're stupid, or do they think they're smart and they're just too stupid to figure out otherwise? What if I'm a stupid person and I just don't know it, and there's a whole better world out there where the smart people are, and they're laughing at me and feeling thankful, and I'm too stupid to even know what they're doing?
We were hoping you wouldn't figure it out, but now that you have we'll need you to come down to the secret building for re-indoctrination.

Pants
But then I think, do stupid people really know they're stupid, or do they think they're smart and they're just too stupid to figure out otherwise?

Ask c4me.

Saulbadguy
02-13-2006, 02:13 PM
ROFL

Actually, one of my kids is taking a nap and the other is doing puzzles. They're two and four.
Sleeping on the job, eh? Jeeze. What has this world come to. :shake:

Simplex3
02-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Sleeping on the job, eh? Jeeze. What has this world come to. :shake:
Yeah, but that's a motivation issue, not an intelligence issue.

Clint in Wichita
02-13-2006, 02:15 PM
Idiots are not created by public schools.

They are created by idiot parents.

If your kid is dumb, YOU are dumb.

Simplex3
02-13-2006, 02:17 PM

I think the scarriest part of the story isn't her complete lack of math skills. That can be taught, which the manager was trying to do.

The scary part is her reaction to a potential learning opportunity.

Chiefs Express
02-13-2006, 02:18 PM

Good comment, but not the point that we are making.

The school system has dumbed down the educational level. We have begun grading using the lowest common denominator as a rule rather than 100%. It used to be that a 70% was a D-, 69 and under was failing. When I was in school there were too many guys and their girlfriends practicing 69(in the minds of their parents), but their grades were passing.

Today you can fail a test several times, but as long as you can finally pass it you pass. Not only does this slow down the rest of the class it gives the kids that actually need added assistance no help other than to remember that the answer to #9 is B the next time around.

A local kid graduated from HS with good grades, not great, but good. His first full semester in college was remedial to get him to the level of being able to attend regular college classes. This was your typical student, not a high level jock.

Rain Man
02-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Ask c4me.

I asked, but she didn't know.

Jilly
02-13-2006, 02:19 PM
I took calculus in High School and aced it (11 years ago).....and I can't count change back and never could. I blame it on calculators.

Chiefs Express
02-13-2006, 02:20 PM

You live in Kansas, how can you say that and still use your mouth as a food porthole?

Rain Man
02-13-2006, 02:20 PM
I took calculus in High School and aced it (11 years ago).....and I can't count change back and never could. I blame it on calculators.

Try dividing the change into an infinite number of infinitesimal pieces, and then integrate it over the range from zero to the purchase amount.

Chiefs Express
02-13-2006, 02:21 PM
Try dividing the change into an infinite number of infinitesimal pieces, and then integrate it over the range from zero to the purchase amount.

Is that a racist comment?ROFL

Dave Lane
02-13-2006, 02:23 PM
stupid liberals..... they don't want to hurt anyones feelings....making kids feel stupid is grounds for getting fired...

Well then you must have gotten a lot of teachers fired! ROFL

Dave

Pants
02-13-2006, 02:24 PM

Chuck Norris could do it.

Dave Lane
02-13-2006, 02:26 PM

I'd rather differenciate it and then take the arc cosecant of the derivative times the joules of work done draining a right inverse circular cylinder cone.

Dave

patteeu
02-13-2006, 02:32 PM

Yes, but you ended up a KU anyway so what good did it do you? In a few decades, you will just be another Skip Towne. :p

Dunit35
02-13-2006, 02:34 PM

Last time I went to Arrowhead I bought a Chiefs Gameday magazine with a $20. She was supposed to give me 15 back but decided to give me 60 back.

Pants
02-13-2006, 02:35 PM
Yes, but you ended up a KU anyway so what good did it do you? In a few decades, you will just be another Skip Towne. :p

I never said I was willing to learn.

stevieray
02-13-2006, 02:46 PM

Count up.

Chiefs Express
02-13-2006, 02:50 PM
Count up.

Too late for an education, besides that's using common sense! (not cents).

Saulbadguy
02-13-2006, 02:50 PM
Who uses cash anymore, really?

Skip Towne
02-13-2006, 02:52 PM
If he's lucky.

Chiefs Express
02-13-2006, 02:56 PM

:rolleyes:

You can't be serious.

Many people use cash for several reasons.
1. Cannot handle a checking account (read accounts regarding math)
2. Cannot be accepted for a credit card.
3. Don't trust banks - - yes, they still exist.
4. Control
5. Not educated enough to know that there is an alternative to cashing their check.

You are right to an extent. Most people don't even see their paycheck, funds are direct deposited. I haven't even used my checkbook, other than to pay bills, in over 5 years. I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about online paying yet, the day is coming, but not yet.

stevieray
02-13-2006, 02:56 PM

uh, almost everyone?

Pants
02-13-2006, 02:57 PM

Credit Cards are evil, remember?

Although, I always have a 20 in my wallet in case I need it.

beer bacon
02-13-2006, 02:59 PM

If the test involves formulas and such then lots of people will fail it. Once you get into Algebra it involves a great deal of memorization that most people forget pretty quickly.

If you gave people time to relearn the material, then many more would pass. This is not to say that there aren't just a lot of idiots out there that never bothered to learn the material in the first place. When it comes to math at Algebra and beyond, I suspect most people would straight up flunk a test on it if they took it cold.

Braincase
02-13-2006, 03:00 PM
I don't have a problem with my kids math skills, but keep in mind I live and send my kids to school in the number 2 rated public school system in the country, my wife is a mechanical engineer, and I nailed my AP Math exam for college credit my junior year of high school, and had independent study in math my entire senior year... where I spent an hour a day programming Commodores and Apples.

My kids won't get calculators until they start college - and those will be programmable HP's.

Some of it is genetic. Some of it is the parents. Some of it is the teachers. All of it depends on the attitude of all participants.

Pants
02-13-2006, 03:02 PM
My kids won't get calculators until they start college - and those will be programmable HP's.

That's cruel.

Saulbadguy
02-13-2006, 03:03 PM
Credit Cards are evil, remember?

Although, I always have a 20 in my wallet in case I need it.
Debit cards, baby.

Saulbadguy
02-13-2006, 03:06 PM
:rolleyes:

You can't be serious.

Many people use cash for several reasons.
1. Cannot handle a checking account (read accounts regarding math)
2. Cannot be accepted for a credit card.
3. Don't trust banks - - yes, they still exist.
4. Control
5. Not educated enough to know that there is an alternative to cashing their check.

You are right to an extent. Most people don't even see their paycheck, funds are direct deposited. I haven't even used my checkbook, other than to pay bills, in over 5 years. I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about online paying yet, the day is coming, but not yet.
I'm dead serious.

1. It's because they are stupid.
2. Same reason
3. Same reason
4. Same reason
5. Same reason

I don't see my paycheck, I just get an advice slip, and I make sure the funds are deposited via online banking. I use a debit card, which is just money directly from my bank account.

I haven't written a check in years. I rarely keep over $20 in cash on me.

Chiefs Express
02-13-2006, 03:15 PM
Debit cards, baby.

Debit/Credit cards are dangerous to those that have no yet learned to handle their money.

We work through an organization that assists people through financial problems. We help them set a budget and consolidate their debt when necessary. We also advise them to save when they can.

I've seen people that make less per hour now than I did in 1978-79. It's really kind of depressing to see that, but some of them are only concerned about getting their finances right so they don't have to worry about losing their home or car. A few are struggling to stay off of welfare which is admirable but not always possible.

Skip Towne
02-13-2006, 03:19 PM
I'm dead serious.

2. Same reason
3. Same reason
4. Same reason
5. Same reason

I don't see my paycheck, I just get an advice slip, and I make sure the funds are deposited via online banking. I use a debit card, which is just money directly from my bank account.

I use my debit card alot but there are some folks that don't take them. My employees for instance.

Saulbadguy
02-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Debit/Credit cards are dangerous to those that have no yet learned to handle their money.

We work through an organization that assists people through financial problems. We help them set a budget and consolidate their debt when necessary. We also advise them to save when they can.

I've seen people that make less per hour now than I did in 1978-79. It's really kind of depressing to see that, but some of them are only concerned about getting their finances right so they don't have to worry about losing their home or car. A few are struggling to stay off of welfare which is admirable but not always possible.
Cash would be dangerous to them as well, would it not? They spend the money either way.

Debit cards won't allow you to overspend the amount of money you actually have.

Chiefs Express
02-13-2006, 03:25 PM
I'm dead serious.

2. Same reason
3. Same reason
4. Same reason
5. Same reason

I don't accept stupid for the answers to all of the cases. Uneducated maybe, but not stupid.

So in keeping around $20.00 in cash on you is proof that people still use the currency.

My wife's parents would not spend money that they did not have. They invested in CD's and bonds, but did not have a checking account until it became an absolute necessity and then did not use it for anything but the few items that required a check. I think when my m-i-l died she still had the original box of checks that the got when they opened the account.

Valiant
02-13-2006, 03:27 PM

Shit, I took a 8th grade history final from 1890 in my college history class for fun... I only got about 60% right, I will admit our education system is a joke now... Granted I did not study for it, and it was enjoyable that in the text the civil war was refered to as the war of northern agression..

Chiefs Express
02-13-2006, 03:27 PM
Cash would be dangerous to them as well, would it not? They spend the money either way.

Debit cards won't allow you to overspend the amount of money you actually have.

I can use my debit card up to what I have in my account and then it reverts to a credit card up to the self imposed limit I put on it.

If a person is using cash only when the green is gone so is their ability to spend it. It's not like a checking account and the blonde; "I still have some checks!! Let's go shopping!!"

Rain Man
02-13-2006, 03:30 PM
I don't have a problem with my kids math skills, ...

Some of it is genetic. Some of it is the parents. Some of it is the teachers. All of it depends on the attitude of all participants.

So in other words, you think it's 33 percent genetic, 33 percent parents, 33 percent teachers, and 100 percent attitude.

Rain Man
02-13-2006, 03:31 PM
I'm dead serious.

2. Same reason
3. Same reason
4. Same reason
5. Same reason

Never underestimate the market strength of stupid people.

Valiant
02-13-2006, 03:34 PM
That's cruel.

Not really, they need to learn it first before being able to use a calculator... Hell, we could not use calculators on our SAT's in highschool...

oldandslow
02-13-2006, 03:42 PM

This is just too easy to let pass...

Simplex3, are you the one teaching grammar to your kids?

If so, my kid will get the job. :)

(Should read..."my kids and me" for those who had difficulty in langauge arts).

Ultra Peanut
02-13-2006, 04:13 PM
BEANERS LOL

sedated
02-13-2006, 04:24 PM
When I was a kid and I would go to the grocery store with my mom, she would buy me candy if I could tell her how much change she would get before the cashier gave it back to her.

She was preparing me for my long, illustrious career at Subway

Ultra Peanut
02-13-2006, 04:25 PM
Subway is just... it feels like work.

Bearcat
02-13-2006, 04:30 PM
Everything is done for you now, so you don't have to figure it out... calculators, registers that tell you how much change to give back, etc... everything has instructions a 5 year old could follow so everyone is able to use the product.

If there's always a machine that can do it, a number you can dial, or a webpage with the answer, there's no reason to figure it out by yourself.

Chiefs Express
02-13-2006, 04:35 PM
When I was a kid and I would go to the grocery store with my mom, she would buy me candy if I could tell her how much change she would get before the cashier gave it back to her.

She was preparing me for my long, illustrious career at Subway

Do you sell the hemp sandwiches?

58-4ever
02-13-2006, 04:36 PM
this is an ignorant and worthless thread. i'm soooo sick of ole' timers telling us how much better things were.

Brock
02-13-2006, 04:37 PM
this is an ignorant and worthless thread. i'm soooo sick of ole' timers telling us how much better things were.

I no what u mean

Rain Man
02-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Everything is done for you now, so you don't have to figure it out... calculators, registers that tell you how much change to give back, etc... everything has instructions a 5 year old could follow so everyone is able to use the product.

If there's always a machine that can do it, a number you can dial, or a webpage with the answer, there's no reason to figure it out by yourself.

As a child of the 60s and 70s, it's natural for me to eschew this argument with the trusty old, "Yeah, but what happens when the Soviets set off the EMPs over the country before the nuclear strike?"

I don't know if the younger generation even thinks like that any more, but as a teenager I remember reading quite a bit about what would or wouldn't be available in the event of a nuclear war. (I specifically recall that milk would have a lot of radiation, for some reason. If you survive a nuclear war, don't drink milk afterwards.)

58-4ever
02-13-2006, 04:41 PM
As a child of the 60s and 70s, it's natural for me to eschew this argument with the trusty old, "Yeah, but what happens when the Soviets set off the EMPs over the country before the nuclear strike?"

I don't know if the younger generation even thinks like that any more, but as a teenager I remember reading quite a bit about what would or wouldn't be available in the event of a nuclear war. (I specifically recall that milk would have a lot of radiation, for some reason. If you survive a nuclear war, don't drink milk afterwards.)

Now the Soviets are the terrorists. Trust me, the news will always be there to scare us.

Skip Towne
02-13-2006, 04:41 PM
Not really, they need to learn it first before being able to use a calculator... Hell, we could not use calculators on our SAT's in highschool...
They wouldn't let us use calculators either. Of course, they didn't exist in 1963.

sedated
02-13-2006, 04:44 PM
Do you sell the hemp sandwiches?

no, but I consume 'em

Rain Man
02-13-2006, 04:45 PM

Threads like this are indeed lame now, but twenty years ago they were great.

DanT
02-13-2006, 05:22 PM
How does the writer know that the girl didn't own the Burger King and was crying with joy at the incredible profit they just made on a burger they sold for $1.58 and which was worth less than 50 cents, given the great buy on horse meat she recently completed? Maybe she got used to thinking that only 20% or so of revenues became profits, based on all the old math problems from the 1950's she used to do to relax in her spare time, in between girl scouts and knocking off her undergrad degree in physics.

beavis
02-13-2006, 05:27 PM

Did they make you watch those duck and cover videos in school?

Chiefs Express
02-13-2006, 05:27 PM

Who says they were good then? The bottom line is that life has changed and the education system has failed us.

How many mechanical engineers could design a system without the use of autocad and spreadsheets to do the calcualtions for them? They know the formulas to use, but they have lots of trouble punching them into calculators and getting the right information back.

Rain Man
02-13-2006, 05:31 PM
Did they make you watch those duck and cover videos in school?

I think that was before my time. But when I was in third grade, we had to do a drill to hide under our desks in the event of a nuclear attack.

The desks then were much more solid than today's desks.

Bearcat
02-13-2006, 05:38 PM
Who says they were good then? The bottom line is that life has changed and the education system has failed us.

The 1960 or even 1970 version of the joke is pretty much what it is today.... I know so many people who said high school was so easy, they coasted through it without much motivation to go above and beyond. Schools need to realize life doesn't come in multiple choice format unless all you have to do is punch in which value meal the customer wants (just don't expect the right amount of change).

I watched some news thing about how our high schools suck, and how we score 20th in the world in international test scores... and they showed how money isn't the answer to making schools better (and used KC as an example :banghead: )... and they provided a ton of proof on how competition & vouchers are good for the education system, yet they still found people to interview that said competition isn't good for the kids or education because 'no one wins' :banghead:

So, we're protecting our kids from dealing with the parents' decision on where to go to school, because Billy might not be going to school with his friends on the same block... and we protect them with crap like 'no child left behind' .... and forget that they're in high school so they can later on deal with the challenges of life. Again, with the :banghead:

Rain Man
02-13-2006, 05:39 PM
How does the writer know that the girl didn't own the Burger King and was crying with joy at the incredible profit they just made on a burger they sold for $1.58 and which was worth less than 50 cents, given the great buy on horse meat she recently completed? Maybe she got used to thinking that only 20% or so of revenues became profits, based on all the old math problems from the 1950's she used to do to relax in her spare time, in between girl scouts and knocking off her undergrad degree in physics.

Or it could be that she was just a highly sensitive animal lover.

mikey23545
02-13-2006, 06:51 PM

There <i>is</i> a big difference between 100 years ago and now....You may have 2% of kids taking calculus in high school now, but 50% can't count change...In 1890 you probably had no kids taking calculus in high school but 95% knew arithmetic, geometry, and trigonometry inside out...

Check out some turn of the century textbooks sometime...It might wipe that smug-ass attitude right off your ass...

chagrin
02-13-2006, 06:54 PM
Lowering today's educational requirements so everyone and their Mother who wants to go to school can is not the way to make things better.

Saulbadguy
02-13-2006, 07:02 PM
Check out some turn of the century textbooks sometime...It might wipe that smug-ass attitude right off your ass...
I have. The science ones were very amusing. It's amazing how stupid we were back then.

Brock
02-13-2006, 07:19 PM
I have. The science ones were very amusing. It's amazing how stupid we were back then.

Yeah. That Euclid was a dumb mother****er.

beavis
02-13-2006, 07:43 PM
I think that was before my time. But when I was in third grade, we had to do a drill to hide under our desks in the event of a nuclear attack.

The desks then were much more solid than today's desks.
I would think they would have to be, given what I saw in Terminator 2 anyway.

Reaper16
02-13-2006, 07:46 PM
Wow. Math class must rule if they're teaching it like that; I wish I was in elementary school.

Smed1065
02-13-2006, 08:55 PM

Good point, thats why I say fu-- it and just enjoy life and do not care what anyone thinks but me. Not saying do not be nice, mannered and etc.(except when the azz feeling comes around) I feel that as long as you are happy and not hurting anyone else, do as you dang well please. Well except family, maybe - :)

Nzoner
02-13-2006, 08:55 PM
This reminded me of the the lady I was behind at Arby's awhile back,she asked the girl for a half dozen chicken strips and the girl told her they didn't have that and then the woman asked for 6 and the girl said no problem.

tiptap
02-13-2006, 08:57 PM
I grew up in the 60's. There was a about 50 to 100 of us that were at the top of the class (of 700) And any of those joes could do well. But the other 500, some who even took the high power classes, had trouble in college. There were others that matured and turned it around when they came back from war or life experience.

I have talked to college students now and they have technical understandings that can exceed my own. There are still those kids who are on target with their education.

The difference between US and the rest of the world is the general conception that education isn't important, it is making money. And the notion you don't need an education to buy low and sell high.

kcfanXIII
02-13-2006, 09:12 PM
stupid liberals..... they don't want to hurt anyones feelings....making kids feel stupid is grounds for getting fired...

i don't see how either party is too blame, over the past 50 years both parties have had control. its more of a problem with a shrinking attention span. with the speed info/entertainment enter the home, kids get bored quicker and quicker. i started a new job one time, and my trainer asked me how to split a check. i of course had no clue so we get the mgr. she showed both of us how to do it. 6 months later this "trainer" was still asking me for help on splitting the check. people are just dumb.

Logical
02-13-2006, 09:17 PM
If the test involves formulas and such then lots of people will fail it. Once you get into Algebra it involves a great deal of memorization that most people forget pretty quickly.

If you gave people time to relearn the material, then many more would pass. This is not to say that there aren't just a lot of idiots out there that never bothered to learn the material in the first place. When it comes to math at Algebra and beyond, I suspect most people would straight up flunk a test on it if they took it cold.Calc and Geometry involve memorization, no memorization is needed for Algebra, just logic.

Logical
02-13-2006, 09:21 PM

Debit cards won't allow you to overspend the amount of money you actually have.Be warned some of the newer Debit cards allow overage and then impose huge interest. A person should read the details on their debit cards.

Rain Man
02-13-2006, 09:23 PM
Calc and Geometry involve memorization, no memorization is needed for Algebra, just logic.

I can never remember the quadratic equation for some reason. Is it -b +- (b^2 - 2ac) over 2a?

And now I can't remember what the quadratic equation does. Dang.

Rain Man
02-13-2006, 09:25 PM
Back when I was in college, I was wandering through the library at one point and I found some encyclopedias from the 1870s. Being an aerospace engineering student at the time, I looked up "flight" and it was pretty cool. The state of the art was model airplanes that actually looked pretty modern, but they were powered by "an India rubber strip in a state of torsion" (i.e., a rubber band).

Logical
02-13-2006, 09:38 PM
I can never remember the quadratic equation for some reason. Is it -b +- (b^2 - 2ac) over 2a?

ax^2+bx+c=0 It describes a parabola

tiptap
02-13-2006, 10:13 PM
yeah but the formula given was the solution to quadratic equation.
not the equation for a conic.

cdcox
02-13-2006, 10:24 PM

-b +- sqrt(b^2 - 4ac) over 2a

It finds the roots to the equation that Vlad posted.