PDA

View Full Version : This poor bastard's had a tough week.

KcMizzou
02-14-2006, 02:40 PM
Hunter Shot by Cheney Has Heart Attack

By LYNN BREZOSKY and NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writers 1 hour, 24 minutes ago

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - The 78-year-old lawyer who was shot by Vice President
Dick Cheney in a hunting accident has some birdshot lodged in his heart and he had "a minor heart attack" Tuesday morning, hospital officials said.
ADVERTISEMENT

The victim, Harry Whittington, was immediately moved back to the intensive care unit for further treatment, said Peter Banko, the administrator at Christus Spohn Hospital Corpus Christi-Memorial in Texas.

Banko said there was an irregularity in the heartbeat caused by a pellet, and doctors performed a cardiac catheterization. Whittington expressed a desire to leave the hospital, but Banko said he would probably stay for another week to make sure more shot doesn't move to other organs or to other part of his body.

"Some of the birdshot appears to have moved and lodged into part of his heart in what we would say is a minor heart attack," Banko said in a news conference outside the hospital.

David Blanchard, chief of emergency care, called it "a silent heart attack, an asymptomatic heart attack. He's not had a heart attack in the traditional sense."

The doctors said Whittington did not experience symptoms of a heart attack or any other problems. They left the birdshot in place and said he could live a healthy life with it there.

White House physicians who attended to Whittington at the scene after Cheney accidentally shot him were involved in the treatment, the officials said.

Whittington had initially been placed in intensive care after the accident Saturday evening. He had been moved to a "step-down unit" Monday after doctors decided to leave several birdshot pellets lodged in his skin rather than try to remove them.

A Texas Parks and Wildlife Department report issued Monday said Whittington was retrieving a downed bird and stepped out of the hunting line he was sharing with Cheney. "Another covey was flushed and Cheney swung on a bird and fired, striking Whittington in the face, neck and chest at approximately 30 yards," the report said.

The department found the main factor contributing to the accident was a "hunter's judgment factor." No other secondary factors were found to have played a role.

The department gave Cheney and Whittington warning citations for breaking Texas hunting law by failing to buy a $7 stamp allowing them to shoot upland game birds. A department spokesman said warnings are being issued in most cases because the stamp requirement only went into effect five months ago and many hunters weren't aware of it.

Cheney's office said Monday night in a statement that Cheney had a $125 nonresident hunting license and has sent a $7 check to cover the cost of the stamp. "The staff asked for all permits needed, but was not informed of the $7 upland game bird stamp requirement," the statement said.

Cheney, an experienced hunter, has not said anything publicly about the accident. It was fodder for jokes on late night TV and early Tuesday at the White House, before news surfaced about problems with Whittington's heart.

Hospital officials said they notified the White House of the change in Whittington's condition late in the morning. The mood of press secretary Scott McClellan was much more serious in an afternoon press briefing shortly before the hospital publicly updated Whittington's condition.

Katharine Armstrong, owner of the ranch where the shooting occurred, said Whittington made a mistake by not announcing that he had walked up to rejoin the hunting line after going to retrieve his bird, and Cheney didn't see him as he tried to down a bird.

The accident raised questions about Cheney's adherence to hunting safety practices and the White House's failure to disclose the accident in a timely way.

Several hunting safety experts agreed in interviews that it would have been a good idea for Whittington to announce himself. But every expert stressed that the shooter is responsible for avoiding other people.

Bush was told about Cheney's involvement in the accident shortly before 8 p.m. Saturday — about an hour after it occurred — but the White House did not disclose the accident until Sunday afternoon, and then only in response to press questions.

shakesthecat
02-14-2006, 02:44 PM
Guys a tough old coot. Takes a shotgun blast, has a mild heart attack, and still wanted to leave.

Extra Point
02-14-2006, 02:44 PM
Yeah, send in my check. If I went fishing without a trout stamp on the Niangua, I'd dream of getting off by mailing in the dough for the stamp. I'd get a $200 fine, have my fish taken, and get to stay in the Laclede Co. jail.

Yeah, liberty and justice for all...... except those who are above it....

Mr. Laz
02-14-2006, 04:09 PM
wonder if he's got the ballz to sue the crap outa the vice president. :)

dj56dt58
02-14-2006, 05:00 PM
wow..all the people in the world to accidently shoot and he's gotta shoot a lawyer...

mikey23545
02-14-2006, 05:29 PM
Yeah, send in my check. If I went fishing without a trout stamp on the Niangua, I'd dream of getting off by mailing in the dough for the stamp. I'd get a $200 fine, have my fish taken, and get to stay in the Laclede Co. jail.

Yeah, liberty and justice for all...... except those who are above it....

<b>A department spokesman said warnings are being issued in most cases because the stamp requirement only went into effect five months ago and many hunters weren't aware of it.</b>

:rolleyes:

Frazod
02-14-2006, 07:17 PM
Well, so far he's doing better than the last guy who got shot by a vice president. Of course, that one was intentional. :bang:

Rain Man
02-14-2006, 10:39 PM
Gunshot...heart attack...let's see how he does after Cheney comes back with a baseball bat to finish him off.

KcMizzou
02-14-2006, 10:40 PM
Gunshot...heart attack...let's see how he does after Cheney comes back with a baseball bat to finish him off.ROFL

That's what I was thinking. They're gonna kill this poor guy one way or another.

recxjake
02-14-2006, 10:43 PM
If he would have died from the heart attack would Cheney get charged for murder?

Frazod
02-14-2006, 10:45 PM
If he would have died from the heart attack would Cheney get charged for murder?

If this was somebody else, it's possible that manslaughter could be charged if the guy dies as a result of complications from the shooting.

Obviously that won't happen in this case.

recxjake
02-14-2006, 10:46 PM
If this was somebody else, it's possible that manslaughter could be charged if the guy dies as a result of complications from the shooting.

Obviously that won't happen in this case.

As much as I support the Bushco plan for terrorism, tax cuts etc.... it would be hillarious to see the VP in handcuffs

recxjake
02-14-2006, 10:46 PM
i bet Cheney is gone w/in 3 months

Frazod
02-14-2006, 10:50 PM
i bet Cheney is gone w/in 3 months

I doubt it. But he's certainly not doing himself any favors by dodging the press.

greg63
02-15-2006, 01:27 AM
Well, so far he's doing better than the last guy who got shot by a vice president. Of course, that one was intentional. :bang:

ROFLROFLROFLROFL

Simplex3
02-15-2006, 02:25 AM
ROFL

That's what I was thinking. They're gonna kill this poor guy one way or another.
The Clintons would have killed him in a small plane crash the first time around. Yet more proof that Bush and his guys are incompetent.

Bwana
03-06-2006, 09:53 AM
Heh!

Bwana
03-06-2006, 09:54 AM

Bwana
03-06-2006, 09:57 AM
Another

Bwana
03-06-2006, 09:57 AM
One more :)

kcfanintitanhell