PDA

View Full Version : So, I just got home from the Pro Bowl...

brent102fire
02-15-2006, 10:18 PM
Here's a little recap of some of the things I saw or experienced:

Tuesday, 7th-Flew into Oahu and checked in at the Hilton Hawaiian Village Hotel. I saw alot of vehicles with Pro Bowl logos on the side pulling up in front of the lobby. I saw Sean Salisbury, Mark Schlereth and Trey Wingo. I also saw Warren Moon out on the beach. I didn't ask for his autograph because I didn't want to bother him. He was there with a woman in her late 30's lounging on the beach. :dom:

Wednesday, 8th-I saw Dick Vermiel and Carol checking in. He signed a bunch of autographs. One football fan asked him what was the biggest regret he had as the Chiefs Head Coach and DV said "letting Donnie Edwards leave"! I also saw Aikman and Peyton Manning at Alan Wong's with a couple of hotties. No one bothered them at all(other than giving them the nod). :toast:

Thursday, 9th-Went to NFC practice in AM. Pretty cool...most players signed autographs for fans before and after practice. Even when they were getting on the bus. I saw a bunch of former and current players at the Tropics Bar at our hotel. They were sitting outside next to the boardwalk talking, drinking, eating etc...Andre Rison and Christian Okoye signed my Chiefs football. Pretty cool guys. Joey Porter and Casey Hampton of the Steeler bought about 2 dozen shots of tequila. If you wanted an autograph, you had to do a shot. Those guys were pretty cool. Chad Johnson showed up and sat at their table. He signed autographs here and there. Elway at the pool, Jim McMahon and Sean Salisbury were sitting on the boardwalk wall with a couple of hot chicks and then Gary Baxter showed up and the girls were all over him too. Michael Irvin was laying next to us when we went to the beach. He signed footballs and helmets when he was asked. They signed autographs for anyone. Pretty cool. :clap:

Friday, 10th-Went to AFC practice in AM at Aloha Stadium. I got down in the first row of the aisle as practice ended. Brian Waters came over after the huddle and signed my Chiefs Football first. I was wearing a Chiefs hat, TG jersey and yelled his name. He came right over and thanked the fans for their support. He signed as did most players. The only one I didn't see sign was our own, Tony Gonzalez. He showed up late, walked across from one end zone to the other and was messing with his hat. He looked up about 2/3 of the way across and raised one hand. He barely even acknowledged that any fans were there. He went into the locker room and changed and came back out to the field. He practiced, went into the locker room, changed and walked back across the field without even acknowledging the screaming fans. Some of us were yelling Huntington Beach, which is where I grew up too. I know he heard us, but I guess he didn't care. :shake:
After practice, the other players signed as they were boarding the bus. One fan asked Will if he was going to play next year. He said " they don't need me, they have good players on that team". Take it for what it's worth. :shrug: LJ, Trent , Brian Waters and Will Shields were more than happy to autograph memorabilia for the fans, but not TG. He was nowhere to be found :loser:

Saturday, 10th-Went back to Aloha Stadium to watch practice. We were waiting at the tunnel where the bus dropped the players off. The bus passed us by and went to another tunnel. So as we started to walk, we saw Tony Gonzalez pull up in his Ford Expedition. He was alone. Apparently, he didn't take the team bus. He parked his vehicle in a stall, got out and started walking up towards the gate. There was only three of us there: my dad, a friend that I met in Hawaii(Rams Fan) and I. My buddy asked TG to sign a Pro Bowl football and he said "NO". I asked TG to sign my jersey(authentic) and he said "NO" and just kept walking. He really didn't even acknowledge us. He seemed like a snobby jerk to me. Then, my buddy said "That's a great way to support the people that support you, Tony". Tony didn't say anything, just kept walking. JERK! 4321
After practice, the AFC were the first one's out. Most players came out of the tunnel and got on the bus. The only one that didn't sign was Casey Hampton. Brian Waters came out first and a few people knew who he was. I said congrats to him for making the Pro Bowl and he said "Thanks for the Support". Brian Waters #54 is going to be the next jersey I buy. Anyone want to buy an authentic Gonzalez Jersey. Will came out next and then LJ. Both guys were signing for people who asked. The last Chiefs Player to come out was Trent. He had both hands full. I asked him to sign my football and he said "let me put my stuff on the bus and then I will come back out". He did just that. He signed for everyone that asked. The Chiefs players, except for Tony Gonzalez, were great. Real friendly and seemed down to earth. I met two other Chiefs Fans at the bar and they said they saw TG at the hotel on Friday and he declined to sign their memorabilia too. :mad:

Sunday, 12th-Went to the game...was pretty cool. We sat on the NFC side, 35yl, 4th row. We had a great time except for the rain in the first half. I didn't see a whole lot of players back at the hotel after the game.

Monday, 13th-Saw Chris Berman walking towards the elevators and a few players. Nothing special.

Tuesday, 14th-Flew home. Glad to be back in So. Cal.

I closing, I just want to say that TG needs to take a few lessons from Brian Waters. Brian is the guy that stood out. He was the one that thanked the fans for coming out and seemed like a real humble, down to earth guy who did not forget where he came from. Trent, Will, DV and LJ were cool too. They were all good to the fans except you know who...

:toast: to #54(I'm going to buy a Brian Waters jersey next)!!!!!

QuikSsurfer
02-15-2006, 10:20 PM
Here's a little recap of some of the things I saw or experienced:

that sucks about gonzo.. and the rison autograph.

ZootedGranny
02-15-2006, 10:22 PM
You should've stabbed Wingo in his neck.

Bowser
02-15-2006, 10:23 PM
Sounds like you had a great time. I'm jealous.

And that's not the first time I've heard of Tony Gonzalez being a complete coque to fans.

The Bad Guy
02-15-2006, 10:24 PM
I was wearing a Chiefs hat, TG jersey and yelled his name. He came right over and thanked the fans for their support. He signed as did most players. The only one I didn't see sign was our own, Tony Gonzalez. He showed up late, walked across from one end zone to the other and was messing with his hat. He looked up about 2/3 of the way across and raised one hand. He barely even acknowledged that any fans were there. He went into the locker room and changed and came back out to the field. He practiced, went into the locker room, changed and walked back across the field without even acknowledging the screaming fans. Some of us were yelling Huntington Beach, which is where I grew up too. I know he heard us, but I guess he didn't care. :shake:
Gonzalez is a sack of shit. In my dealings with him in River Falls, watching him walk past children repeatedly with some lame-ass excuse soured me on him big time.

Watching the NFL promote this guy as the NFL good guy really gets on my nerves as well.

I can semi-understand training camp, because it's hot, you're tired from working hard all day, but to not even sign at the Pro Bowl?

I really hope this team doesn't give him a huge contract again. He's on the downside of his career now not to mention that he's a grade A dickeater to fans.

He doesn't care. He cares when the cameras are rolling to paint how great of a person he is. But when they are off, he could give a shit.

CHENZ A!
02-15-2006, 10:30 PM
Sounds like a real cool trip, except for "hollywood" Gonzales being a dick. The only time anyone ever said no to me when I asked them for an autograph was about 10 yrs ago(I was 13). I saw Kareem Abdul Jabbar at the Las Vegas airport, and noone was around him at all. I went up and asked him to sign a scrap of paper for me and he just gave me a pissed off look and shook his head. I have met quite a few celebs and atheletes since and have not asked for another signature, if I actually like the person I'll just go shake their hand. I hate that TG would act like he's better than someone, when we pay his bills.

Chiefnj
02-15-2006, 10:40 PM
Tony's behavior is inexcusable. Screw him, he's on the downside of his career. Trade him to the Jets for a 2nd round pick. Enjoy a good career without a playoff victory, prick.

jspchief
02-15-2006, 10:43 PM
Pretty much jives with everything I've ever heard about Gonzalez. He's a dick.

ferrarispider95
02-15-2006, 10:55 PM
My friend was at Arrowhead for an interview and rode with some fellow applicants in an elevator with TG, and the prick wouldn't even look at them.

On the other hand, he rode with Dante in the elevator and Dante initiated a conversation and was cool as sh*t.

ferrarispider95
02-15-2006, 10:57 PM
How much does the Pro Bowl cost? Hotel cost? Practices?

dj56dt58
02-15-2006, 10:58 PM
You should have mentioned the fact to Tony that he is possibly one of the most overrated players in franchise history..of course that's just my opinion

Eric Hicks did the same thing after the Chiefs Pats game..i dunno why people were asking for his auto anyways, not like he has any talent.

I've acctually heard that Trent is the same way, but that was just when he came here to Joplin people said he was acting like a prick. He didn't sign any autographs either after the Pats game but didn't seem stuck up or anything. Trent seems pretty cool. Maybe you should kick Tony in the nuts and bring him back down to earth. Tony didn't even deserve to be within 50 miles of the pro bowl this year

What makes it worse is when it's in a players contract to do certain "volenteer" work and they'll take pictures of them w/ some crippled kids or something. I can imagine Tony shaking hands w/ a kid in a wheel chair and as soon as the pic is taken, throwing the kid out of the wheel chair and running off with it.

brent102fire
02-15-2006, 10:59 PM

I didn't pay for the tickets, my brother in law has been a season ticket holder for 20 years. Face Value on our tickets were $100. Hotels are expensive, but we have a timeshare so I'm not sure. I heard rooms at the Hilton Hawaiian Village were $569/night during Pro Bowl week. Practices are free. It was alot of fun...

Halfcan
02-15-2006, 11:01 PM
Yeah Tony G was very rude to my friends son up in RF. What a prick.

The Bad Guy
02-15-2006, 11:31 PM
My friend was at Arrowhead for an interview and rode with some fellow applicants in an elevator with TG, and the prick wouldn't even look at them.

On the other hand, he rode with Dante in the elevator and Dante initiated a conversation and was cool as sh*t.

Yeah, my experience with Dante was great.

I was press at RF two years ago and I went to a few practices as a fan because it was my first time up there.

I was standing by the fence talking to my fiance and Dante came running over to sign a few autographs for kids and when they were finished, I asked him to sign his Pro Bowl jersey I had. While he was signing, he just started talking to my fiance asking her name and how far we came. He talked to us for a good 10 minutes, took pictures and was just a real great guy.

I will not shed one tear once Gonzalez has left. Priest was very cold to the kids seeking autographs too and that soured me on him a bit too. I really could care less if they turn me down or not for an autograph, but to turn down a little kid is flat out wrong.

Mojo Rising
02-15-2006, 11:38 PM
We went to Hawaii in 2002 during the Pro Bowl and had a blast. We also had the same TG experience. I posted a thread about our experience if you can search the archives.

Also saw Chris Berman who was rather un-impressive. Keyshawn was an a**.

Rodney Harrison was very cool. Also Jr. Seau, Bryant Young, Hugh Douglas and Jack Youngblood were also very fan friendly.

TG actually told me that he hates the Chiefs. He was walking away and took the energy to stop, turn and say, "I hate the Chiefs." This was a response to my comment, "Come on Tony, I am a huge Chiefs fan." This was at a Pro Bowl event while my wife and I were both wearing Chiefs hats/shirts and had asked for an autograph.

I understand that players have a right to personal time while in public. However, if you don't want fan interaction, then don't go to a public event where fans congregate.

I believe the reason for his being more of a jerk than he normally was that this was just after he was franchised and in negotiations. Gee. Must be bad to get paid the average salary of the top 3 players at your position.

My advice to anyone going is wait until the day after the game and go to the Swap Meet at Aloha Stadium (close to the airport if you're flying out that day) and load up on Por Bowl merchandise. Everything was at least 50% off.

When I used to live in HI in the 80's I had 2 player experiences. Met LT and he was very cool. It was kind of weird that he and his wife would allow this other dude to tag along. Possible bag man. And Roger Craig. the Manager of the bar I worked received an autograph that said "F**k You, Roger Craig.

Logical
02-15-2006, 11:42 PM
Gonzalez is a sack of shit. In my dealings with him in River Falls, watching him walk past children repeatedly with some lame-ass excuse soured me on him big time.

Watching the NFL promote this guy as the NFL good guy really gets on my nerves as well.

I can semi-understand training camp, because it's hot, you're tired from working hard all day, but to not even sign at the Pro Bowl?

I really hope this team doesn't give him a huge contract again. He's on the downside of his career now not to mention that he's a grade A dickeater to fans.

He doesn't care. He cares when the cameras are rolling to paint how great of a person he is. But when they are off, he could give a shit.I am not a Gonzo fan by any means other than for his on the field performance. But who gives a shit if he wastes his time signing autographs or not. Frankly the whole autograph thing is juvenile anyway. A kid is a kid and hero worship will cause them to ask but if you are an adult WTF do you need someones signature for anyway. I mean if he wants to put it on a check made out to me then yes I sure want it, otherwise forget it. I can see why athletes would not want to waste their time. Their job is to perform on the field not off it like a trained monkey begging for bananas.

The Bad Guy
02-15-2006, 11:54 PM
I am not a Gonzo fan by any means other than for his on the field performance. But who gives a shit if he wastes his time signing autographs or not. Frankly the whole autograph thing is juvenile anyway. A kid is a kid and hero worship will cause them to ask but if you are an adult WTF do you need someones signature for anyway. I mean if he wants to put it on a check made out to me then yes I sure want it, otherwise forget it. I can see why athletes would not want to waste their time. Their job is to perform on the field not off it like a trained monkey begging for bananas.

Their job is to represent the Kansas City Chiefs. Football players don't just earn their checks by playing every Sunday.

Again, I never said I gave a shit about getting an autograph, but I do care about kids that stand outside for hours waiting for this guy, only to ignore them or give them some ridiculous excuses why he can't sign something for them.

His attitude is garbage. Telling fans that you hate the Chiefs? What kind of bullshit is that?

Gonzalez is a miserable asshole, who should be thankful for the opportunity to sign an autograph for a fan.

Logical
02-15-2006, 11:59 PM
Their job is to represent the Kansas City Chiefs. Football players don't just earn their checks by playing every Sunday.

Again, I never said I gave a shit about getting an autograph, but I do care about kids that stand outside for hours waiting for this guy, only to ignore them or give them some ridiculous excuses why he can't sign something for them.

His attitude is garbage. Telling fans that you hate the Chiefs? What kind of bullshit is that?

Gonzalez is a miserable asshole, who should be thankful for the opportunity to sign an autograph for a fan.You and I are not going to agree on this, I respect you believe that, I just don't agree.

Mojo Rising
02-16-2006, 12:19 AM
Logical, It is wrong to go to a fan event and then tell fans of the team who you play for that you hate that particular team. If he didn't want to sign the ball for me that is his choice (probably shouldn't have gone to the fan event though.) Priest didn't like the spotlight and stayed away from the public events.

Keyshawn handled telling people that he didn't want to sign with way more class. He just said no. It is pretty bad when you're outclassed by Key.

You might not think autograph's are important but there would not be a market for sports memorbilia if adults didn't think they were important. Do you think little kids are bidding on the items on Ebay? Getting an autograph yourself is the surest way that you know your ball, hat, etc. is authentic with all of the fraud these days.

Johnson&Johnson
02-16-2006, 12:21 AM
I am not a Gonzo fan by any means other than for his on the field performance. But who gives a shit if he wastes his time signing autographs or not. Frankly the whole autograph thing is juvenile anyway. A kid is a kid and hero worship will cause them to ask but if you are an adult WTF do you need someones signature for anyway. I mean if he wants to put it on a check made out to me then yes I sure want it, otherwise forget it. I can see why athletes would not want to waste their time. Their job is to perform on the field not off it like a trained monkey begging for bananas.

I sorta get your point about the autograph. I have met many celebs and a few Chiefs in my time but only on one occassion I asked for autographs and I don't even know where that stuff is now. It was in the 1992 Superbowl in Pasadena. It was my first and coolest experience ever coming up close with the players in NFL. I just wanted to meet Joe Cool and get his autograph but found out that Derrick Thomas had a booth promoting his then "Bio trading cards". I approached him to sign some of my DT cards and he declined because under his contract with that product he was promoting, he can't sign anything other than the Bio cards at his booth. So he told me to go to his hotel and hang out there and I will meet lots of other players and when he gets back to the hotel, he'd sign everything I bring up. True enough, i went there and met just about every single superstar from that time. DT signed close to 30 of my cards and was nice enough to take pictures as well. The next coolest Chief was Neil Smith - he'd crack a few jokes too. But my most memorable non-chief meeting was Howie Long and Boomer Esiason - Bar none - nicest guys I've met in terms of celebrities.

Now getting to TG, I've also ran into our famous TE quite a few times living here in Los Angeles. Once at a Clippers game and I went up and talked to him and of course acknowledge that i am a huge Chiefs fan. He didn't seemed annoyed at all and we talked about Chiefs football for about 4-5 mins and i just wished him all the best on the upcoming season. he said thanks.

And on another occassion, I ran into him at the Roxy during a concert (for those of you unfamiliar, the Roxy holds a max capacity of about 200-250 ppl) so its a small joint for a show. I yelled his name when I saw him walk by. he was first very surprised and shocked that someone in a concert would recognize him. So again, i let him know I'm a huge fan and he asked my name, so we shook hands and I introduced myself. I asked him about Priest's hip injury (yep it was during that offseason) and he said he spoke with Priest and confirm to me then that Priest looks good and he was confident #31 was gonna return 100% healthy. So we chatted for a good 5 mins about football and the upcoming season before he said he wanted to go get a drink at the bar. I wish him all the best and told him to do real good and get us to a superbowl... and he said..trust me... i want to win a ring so bad. I think it was maybe 45 mins later into the show. i had no idea where we he was after the band started rockin'. So low and behold I went to the mensroom, and did my thing, suddenly i heard this voice calling "hey ..." my name. freakin Tony remembered my name??? I turn around..it was TG..and he asked what I thought of the show thus far...and i told him i love the band but it was a little stuffy in there cuz it was a packed house. He was like yeah...i don't know if i'm gonna hang around til the end cuz it was very stuffy that night. (this was in July) Summer in LA is piss hot and dry!!! So anyway, I never once had a bad experience with TG and maybe cuz on both occassions, I never asked him for an autograph but I did ask him to have a picture taken..and he was cool with that.

The biggest A** i have come across was Magic Johnson, what a D**k. I never liked the Lakers (hence, i go to Clipper games). I have never seen so many kids get turn down for autographs by Magic..what a load of crap he puts on in front of the camera.

Wa-Z
02-16-2006, 12:26 AM
That sucks, and I thought he is a nice guy. I mean he said he was good friends with TO...figures.

kcxiv
02-16-2006, 01:24 AM
I had the same kinda experience with Mark McGwire when he played for the A's i think it was back in 1987 or 1988. He wouldnt sign shit for us after the A's game, but Good ole Canseco took time and signed and bullshitted with everyone. Ever since then, i was like F' McGwire.

Halfcan
02-16-2006, 01:53 AM
Hey great, TG is a God in his mind and is beneath signing for fans. But to turn his back on kids and not even say hi-what a dickhead.

Valiant
02-16-2006, 02:04 AM
Yeah, my experience with Dante was great.

I was press at RF two years ago and I went to a few practices as a fan because it was my first time up there.

I was standing by the fence talking to my fiance and Dante came running over to sign a few autographs for kids and when they were finished, I asked him to sign his Pro Bowl jersey I had. While he was signing, he just started talking to my fiance asking her name and how far we came. He talked to us for a good 10 minutes, took pictures and was just a real great guy.

I will not shed one tear once Gonzalez has left. Priest was very cold to the kids seeking autographs too and that soured me on him a bit too. I really could care less if they turn me down or not for an autograph, but to turn down a little kid is flat out wrong.

I can understand to a point why they do not want to sign autographs... Those guys get hounded nonstop.. Then the prick autograph scammers that get kids to go get stuff signed for free and then turn around a sell them online or at shops.. Hell when Derrick Johnson came and visited at my work I bought some stuff and a guy I was buying the merchandise from asked why and I told him.. Well he calls his wife to get the kids out of school so they can go get tons of autographs..

So when a sports guy says no every once and a while I can see why.. But people that never sign are straight up pricks... As for Tony G on the downside of his career, I agree a little speed wise.. But we do not utilize him correctly imo...

Hammock Parties
02-16-2006, 02:31 AM
I can understand why they sometimes dont want to sign autographs, they probably get that like 20 times a day 7 days a week. But to say you hate the chiefs... thats total bullshit, why are ya here then?

Ive only seen TG one time, it was at Nebraska Furniture Mart, he was doing the lockerroom show or something like that, while they were airing, he seemed to shun the guy hosting it. Fans were also trying to get him to say something to them, but he acted as if they werent there. Personally i think hes not as good as he used to be, but he is still one of the premier TEs in the nfl and it hurts him to see antonio gates better than he is, so i think he wont be here much longer... eh oh well, im prety sure we can survive without him.

kcxiv
02-16-2006, 03:03 AM
Cept for the fact Tony G isnt going to go ANYWHERE. He will be in KC. He may not "like it" in KC, but i think he will be playing for the Chiefs for at least 2-3 more years. THen he may do Something Shannon Sharpe does go to a team thats on a Verge of a superbowl or something.

Long as he doesnt get into trouble with the Law or is a locker room cancer, i dont care if he signs a autograph or not.

Darien25
02-16-2006, 05:10 AM
Our experience with Tony G. in River Falls the last few years is exactly as described by others in this post. In fact, I can't think of any other player ever that was half the snob that Tony G. has been.

dj56dt58
02-16-2006, 07:33 AM
Cept for the fact Tony G isnt going to go ANYWHERE. He will be in KC. He may not "like it" in KC, but i think he will be playing for the Chiefs for at least 2-3 more years. THen he may do Something Shannon Sharpe does go to a team thats on a Verge of a superbowl or something.

Long as he doesnt get into trouble with the Law or is a locker room cancer, i dont care if he signs a autograph or not.
I'd laugh my ass off if TG says **** KC and goes to a team on the verge of a SB..and the Chiefs win the SB that year.

NewChief
02-16-2006, 08:01 AM
And on another occassion, I ran into him at the Roxy during a concert (for those of you unfamiliar, the Roxy holds a max capacity of about 200-250 ppl) so its a small joint for a show. I yelled his name when I saw him walk by. he was first very surprised and shocked that someone in a concert would recognize him. So again, i let him know I'm a huge fan and he asked my name, so we shook hands and I introduced myself. I asked him about Priest's hip injury (yep it was during that offseason) and he said he spoke with Priest and confirm to me then that Priest looks good and he was confident #31 was gonna return 100% healthy. So we chatted for a good 5 mins about football and the upcoming season before he said he wanted to go get a drink at the bar. I wish him all the best and told him to do real good and get us to a superbowl... and he said..trust me... i want to win a ring so bad. I think it was maybe 45 mins later into the show. i had no idea where we he was after the band started rockin'. So low and behold I went to the mensroom, and did my thing, suddenly i heard this voice calling "hey ..." my name. freakin Tony remembered my name??? I turn around..it was TG..and he asked what I thought of the show thus far...and i told him i love the band but it was a little stuffy in there cuz it was a packed house. He was like yeah...i don't know if i'm gonna hang around til the end cuz it was very stuffy that night. (this was in July) Summer in LA is piss hot and dry!!!

He probably had some really good X or blow that night, and it made him personable.

Rain Man
02-16-2006, 09:23 AM
Tony G. is a long-term thinker. 25 years from now, there'll be hundreds of thousands of autographs from friendly players, and they'll be worth fifty cents each. There'll only be a few hundred of Tony G's, and they'll be worth fifty dollars each. Pretty astute move by Tony.

This whole autograph thing is kind of weird to me. It's a relatively new phenomenon, I think, and it's got to be kind of annoying, whether it's your duty or not.

ChiefsfaninPA
02-16-2006, 09:27 AM
I understand exactly where Tony G is coming from. I walk around my office all day and have people bothering me for my autograph. It gets annoying. And to make matters worse, on bring you child to work day, these same a-holes I tell daily they are not getting an autograph send there snotty nosed kids over to me to bother me for one. Like I don't know who is really going to get the autograph. I just wish all of the adults would stop having man crushes on me and asking me for my autograph.

Sincerly,
Tony G

Sully
02-16-2006, 10:25 AM
I went a couple of years ago. As a present I got a trip, hotel, car, went on the field pre-game, Pre-game luau... other gifts. It was around $1500 for just me. I flew in Saturday, and was to fly out Monday, so it was short. I added another $600 or so, so I could fly in Friday and out on Wednesday.