PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Upgrades

football_kc
02-16-2006, 03:26 PM
I see the off-season as a gray area at the moment. There are way to many speculations out there to give a good analysis or put together a game plan. Here are a few of the problems that I see, w/ possible solutions.

Defense:They are talking about going to a 3-4 defensive scheme. If that is the case then we have to re-think how we treat free-agency. Kendrell Bell had an OK season, but nothing spectacular. If we switch to the 3-4 defense, then we may see a new side of Bell. He is a player designed for a 3-4. Barber will be back, and with the current 3 linebackers, you have a strong group of 4. The problem we will have is in the front. Ryan Simms has a problem staying healthy. It would put alot more pressure on him if we take a player off the inside and move him to the middle. This could put him out of commision early. You need a little rotative depth in that area. Simms/Dalton or Browning and a player to be named later. Either a Grady Jackson, Larry Triplett or a Draft Day Sleeper. The thought of a John Abraham coming here is 50/50. He is a great pass rusher but has trouble with the run. Hicks is the opposite. Allen provides a double threat on the other side, so we need someone to complement him. This will either be an Abraham or a Bunkley/Kiwanuka via the draft. As for the secondary, their are few things we can do. Thanks to rumors, we seem to be in the middle of a media based tug of war on every top notch available free-agent. Have you noticed how we are somehow attached to almost 75% of the trade rumors. Their is always speculation, but this is way overboard. The way I see it is we can get a free-agent corner who is primarily incentive based and make it work i.e. Ty Law or Sam Madison. In my opinion these are the top two prospects. Clements is out of the running. Buffalo has a defensive minded coach and a few aging stars in the secondary. They will not let Clements go. Secondly, we can try our luck in the draft, but the top picks will be gone early and the best sleepers don't usually come until the early to mid second round. For those of you who aren't paying attention, we drop to a lower spot in the second round. This could prove to be difficult in getting a gameday ready d-back. Free agency is the only answer there. We have a shot to go all the way. Last year we fell short hoping the now superbowl champions were going to lose to the down and out Lions. We will not put ourselves in that position again. Last but not least, Safety! We have only one HOPE(Chris) that we can upgrade to. He would make an excellent partner for Knight. I have not fallen off the Wesley wagon, but we have to protect ourselves especially since you never know who will be at camp "Herm".
Tell me what you think!!
Stay Tuned for the offensive update next!!!!!!!

el borracho
02-16-2006, 03:51 PM
What makes you think the Chiefs are considering the 3-4 defense?

Hoover
02-16-2006, 04:06 PM
We don't have the DE's or the NT for a 3-4

Hammock Parties
02-16-2006, 04:06 PM
Shut the **** up about the 3-4, christ.

kaplin42
02-16-2006, 04:13 PM
Welcome to the board. And nice Avatard.

now to your post.

The only ones talking about moving to a 3-4 are the fans. We may run a hybrid 3-4 once in a while, but not as our main scheme. Reason being we just dont have the players to run a 3-4, and we cant afford to switch right now either. If you would like further analysis on this I will be happy to give it, but for now I will just let it rest as this.

John Abrahams - Not comming to KC. Not because we dont want him, but because we cant afford him.

Ty Law - After being a good boy for a year, and putting up some good stats, he is going to want to get paid. And we are not going to be the team that pays him.

Chris Hope - hmm torn on this one. Steelers want to get rid of him for a reason. However he could be a possible upgrade to Wesley. I think I might have to wait and see how this one works out.

Edit: Fixed an error of fact and fiction

kc-nd
02-16-2006, 04:14 PM
When
I
Look
At
A
Huge
Glob
Of
Type
Without
Paragraphs
I
Have
A
Very
Difficult
Time
Reading
It
Have
A
Good
Day
!

ChiefsFanatic
02-16-2006, 04:15 PM
needs more spacing

BigRock
02-16-2006, 04:18 PM
John Abrahams - Not comming to KC. Not because we dont want him, but because we cant afford him. And even if we could, he is under contract

Abraham isn't under contract. The Jets could tag him, but otherwise he's a free agent.

kaplin42
02-16-2006, 04:21 PM
Abraham isn't under contract. The Jets could tag him, but otherwise he's a free agent.

I thought I read some where that he was under contract. If I am wrong, I apologize.

football_kc
02-16-2006, 04:29 PM
For the record, I know we are not going to a 3-4. This was a breakdown of what if's. As for not spacing out my paragraphs, my BAD!!! I will work on it. How about some ideas on a 4-3 defense. Anyone!!!

blueballs
02-16-2006, 04:41 PM
they need to rework the mascot's custome, to get better cheerleaders. Better cheerleaders=better players

Hoover
02-16-2006, 04:42 PM
My idea for the 4-3 is this.

Line Backers:

Cut Bell, redo Barbers deal.

Hope like hell Barber is 100%, or that Fox/Boomer win the spot in camp so we can cut Barber as wll.

CBs:

Warfield and Surtain are the starters. I'm excited about them playing side by side for an entire year. Sapp, Battle should be fine back ups. Cut McCleon

S.
I like Knight, I'm not sold on Warfield. I think this is the one area where I would spend so FA money on a S. There are a bunch of them that are FAs, so lets make a move. They don't break the bank either!

DT: Face it folks, we have to count on Sims, after that I think we would be wise to re sign Dalton, and hope Savii, and Browning can some how improve.

DE: Allen is a nice rusher on one side. I'd love to upgrade Hicks, but it could cost too much to do so.

So, the only area I would spend FA money on is an upgrade at S, and some cheap wide body DT.

sedated
02-16-2006, 04:42 PM
What makes you think Kendrell Bell had an okay year?

source? stats? anything? (didn't think so)

Rooster
02-16-2006, 04:43 PM
Where's Dan Saleaumua these days? He has one more year in him. :hmmm:

football_kc
02-16-2006, 04:46 PM
In response to SEDATED. I said he had an OK year based on the fact that he did not miss half of it due to injuries. If you want statistics, then go to nfl.com and look up his player profile.

phisherman
02-16-2006, 04:48 PM
geez, it's not like the guy wrote one huge run-on sentence.

he wrote a nice and long, well thought out post and someone gives him shit about not seperating it into paragraphs?

watch out everyone, the literary police are on patrol
bp

football_kc
02-16-2006, 04:49 PM
Thank You

Hammock Parties
02-16-2006, 04:59 PM
I think Fox will win the OLB job.

Chief Roundup
02-16-2006, 05:08 PM
I thought Hicks got a 2 year deal when Gun came back so his contract may be up.

milkman
02-16-2006, 08:59 PM
My idea for the 4-3 is this.

Line Backers:

Cut Bell, redo Barbers deal.

Hope like hell Barber is 100%, or that Fox/Boomer win the spot in camp so we can cut Barber as wll.

Agree.

CBs:

Warfield and Surtain are the starters. I'm excited about them playing side by side for an entire year. Sapp, Battle should be fine back ups. Cut McCleon

I like what I saw of Hodge in preseason, so he's in the mix as well.

S.
I like Knight, I'm not sold on Warfield. I think this is the one area where I would spend so FA money on a S. There are a bunch of them that are FAs, so lets make a move. They don't break the bank either!

I assume you mean't Wesley instead of Warfield, and I also agree, except that I'd much rather address this area in the draft rather than free agency.

DT: Face it folks, we have to count on Sims, after that I think we would be wise to re sign Dalton, and hope Savii, and Browning can some how improve.

I don't see how Browning can improve.
He should be on the downside of his career now.
We have to hope that Sims can stay healthy, and that Krumrie can light a fire under Siavii's ass.
This is also an area that we need to address in the draft, in spite of the picks we've already invested here.

DE: Allen is a nice rusher on one side. I'd love to upgrade Hicks, but it could cost too much to do so.

After adding another DT in the draft, I'd like to see Jimmy Wilkerson moved out to Hicks spot and compete for the job.
He's been more productive at DT than I would have expected, given his size, and I think his productivity would increase substantially at DE.

So, the only area I would spend FA money on is an upgrade at S, and some cheap wide body DT.

Is there anyone who'll be a FA that really excites you?
I've read some of the names, and none of them jump out at me.

Hoover
02-16-2006, 09:02 PM
Agree.

I like what I saw of Hodge in preseason, so he's in the mix as well.

I assume you mean't Wesley instead of Warfield, and I also agree, except that I'd much rather address this area in the draft rather than free agency.

I don't see how Browning can improve.
He should be on the downside of his career now.
We have to hope that Sims can stay healthy, and that Krumrie can light a fire under Siavii's ass.
This is also an area that we need to address in the draft, in spite of the picks we've already invested here.

After adding another DT in the draft, I'd like to see Jimmy Wilkerson moved out to Hicks spot and compete for the job.
He's been more productive at DT than I would have expected, given his size, and I think his productivity would increase substantially at DE.

Is there anyone who'll be a FA that really excites you?
I've read some of the names, and none of them jump out at me.
I think Archuletta is a FA, no one on that side of the ball really jumps out at me.

NJ Chief Fan
02-16-2006, 09:11 PM
If we switch to the 3-4 defense

:spock:

we dont have the d-line personel to run a 3-4, wed really get owned if we switched to the 3-4

NJ Chief Fan
02-16-2006, 09:12 PM
I thought Hicks got a 2 year deal when Gun came back so his contract may be up.

i could of swore that donkey fan carl gave him 7 years :deevee: