PDA

View Full Version : anyone here into Ham radio's?

Demonpenz
02-16-2006, 11:51 PM
I just got a new one it's thee bomb

Pants
02-16-2006, 11:53 PM
I just got a new one it's thee bomb

What's a Ham radio?

SLAG
02-16-2006, 11:54 PM
Im into iDEN raidos

Demonpenz
02-16-2006, 11:56 PM
ham radio's are like cb radios on steriods. The only reason why i post this is because we had a couple destrooyed tonight in the hail storm missouri had. I was like what the hell people still have those?

Demonpenz
02-16-2006, 11:58 PM
oh jesus you have to be got a LIC to operate one this is funny

greg63
02-17-2006, 12:07 AM
ham radio's are like cb radios on steriods. The only reason why i post this is because we had a couple destrooyed tonight in the hail storm missouri had. I was like what the hell people still have those?

How far have you transmitted?

Demonpenz
02-17-2006, 12:11 AM
hell i dunno i just thought people like kevin would have one

SLAG
02-17-2006, 12:33 AM
hell i dunno i just thought people like kevin would have one

what about the iDEN's Hunh?

:shrug:

greg63
02-17-2006, 12:46 AM
what about the iDEN's Hunh?

:shrug:

Totally unrelated, but I'm just curious SLAG; what have you done, if anything, with all your Nextel phones?

SLAG
02-17-2006, 12:47 AM
Totally unrelated, but I'm just curious SLAG; what have you done, if anything, with all your Nextel phones?

Selling them Mostly..
To purchace the phone i really want (that still hasnt come in yet :cuss: )

Im posting some on ebay now.. :D

I think i might just turn into an ebay nextel dealer

heh.

greg63
02-17-2006, 12:56 AM
Selling them Mostly..
To purchace the phone i really want (that still hasnt come in yet :cuss: )

Im posting some on ebay now.. :D

I think i might just turn into an ebay nextel dealer

heh.

...Makes since to me. Gee, I wonder where you would have gotten such an idea??? :D

SLAG
02-17-2006, 01:00 AM
...Makes since to me. Gee, I wonder where you would have gotten such an idea??? :D

Not quite sure...

Can I Interest you in in a Nextel Phone?

:hmmm:

greg63
02-17-2006, 01:19 AM
Not quite sure...

Can I Interest you in in a Nextel Phone?

:hmmm:

Sorry, my cell phone needs are currently fulfilled. :)

Deberg_1990
02-17-2006, 02:49 AM
I figured Ham radios had gone the way of the Dinosaur after the explosion of the Internet and Cell Phones???

Smed1065
02-17-2006, 02:54 AM
No there are still diehards, The new stuff just got the amateurs off the waves.

KcMizzou
02-17-2006, 03:06 AM
Art Bell talks about them all the time.

Lzen
02-17-2006, 08:26 AM
My boss is into Ham radio. Every once in awhile I'll call it a cb radio just to piss him off. :evil:

StcChief
02-17-2006, 08:33 AM
In the old days '70s.
I use to play around with ham. A friend has one.
We have talked with people around in Europe,Australia, South America, India, South Africa.

CB = Children's Band. 10-4 good buddy

Demonpenz
02-17-2006, 08:33 AM
My boss is into Ham radio. Every once in awhile I'll call it a cb radio just to piss him off. :evil:

i almost did the same thing, but somehow i knew that cb is redneck and the ham is somehow a geek thing.

Dartgod
02-17-2006, 08:49 AM
-- -.-- -.. .- -.. ..- ... . -.. - --- -... . .. -. - --- - .... . -- -... .- -.-. -.- .. -. - .... . -.. .- -.-- .-.-.- .. .-- .- ... .-.. . .- .-. -. .. -. --. -- --- .-. ... . -.-. --- -.. . ... --- .. -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. --. . - -- -.-- .-.. .. -.-. . -. ... . .-.-.- .. -.. .. ... -.-. --- ...- . .-. . -.. -.. .-. ..- --. ... .- -. -.. - .... .- - .-- .- ... - .... . . -. -.. --- ..-. - .... .- - .-.-.-

dtebbe
02-17-2006, 08:55 AM
K0TKO

Adept Havelock
02-17-2006, 10:38 AM
Ham radios are OK, but I really prefer ones made from Poultry. Better reception. :)

KingPriest2
02-17-2006, 11:34 AM
I figured Ham radios had gone the way of the Dinosaur after the explosion of the Internet and Cell Phones???

Ham Radios Came to Rescue in Blackout:
from By STEPHEN SINGER, Associated Press Writer
Website: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=528&ncid=528&e=1&u=/ap/20030819/ap_on_hi_te/blackout on August 26, 2003
View comments about this article!

By STEPHEN SINGER, Associated Press Writer

HARTFORD, Conn. - When technology failed on a massive scale last week, some old-fashioned broadcasting stepped into the breach as ham radio operators took to the airwaves to reach emergency workers.

For millions of people in the Northeast and Midwest, the Aug. 14 outage took access to e-mail and the Internet with it. Landline and cellular telephones were jammed by a crush of calls.
But the ham radio, which came into being in the World War I era, connected firefighters and police departments, Red Cross workers and other emergency personnel during the most extensive blackout in the Northeast since 1977.

Ham operators are not dependent on a server or cell tower, and with battery backups can operate when grids can't.

"When everything else fails, the ham radio is still there," said Allen Pitts, a ham operator in New Britain. "You can't knock out that system."
The radios are operated by a network of volunteers organized by the Newington-based American Radio Relay League.

Ham radio's importance won renewed recognition after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. ARRL won a federal Homeland Security grant of nearly $182,000 to train amateur radio operators in emergency operations to help during terrorist attacks.
"It's incredible the differences you're seeing, the large cadre of people who know what they're doing," Pitts said. "It's making a major difference."

Tom Carrubba, a coordinator for ARRL in New York City's five boroughs and two counties on Long Island, said volunteers went to work immediately after power went down Thursday afternoon.

"In five minutes guys were on the air with the Red Cross and Office of Emergency Management," he said.

During other disasters, such as severe weather, ARRL volunteers and coordinators activate telephone trees, Carrubba said. On Thursday, they instead hit their assigned frequency or staffed an emergency operations center.

In the New York-Long Island region, with a population of nearly 10 million, about 100 ham radio operators handled the situation, Carrubba said. Some volunteers headed to a Red Cross headquarters or shelter, fire department, or hospital, he said. One hospital was temporarily out of power and ARRL volunteers provided communications to ambulances until electricity was restored.
Carrubba estimated that operators handled 800 to 1,000 communications from Thursday afternoon until early Friday.