PDA

View Full Version : Jets will tag Abraham

Red Dawg
02-17-2006, 09:26 AM
according to ESPN wire.

No way out for him. I bet he's pissed because the Jets are really going to suck next season.

Kclee
02-17-2006, 09:36 AM
I thought I heard that they were going to tag him all along, but just so they can trade him. That way they get something for him. And if anything, if there are no takers, they can take the tag off him and release him.

Dunit35
02-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Sucks to be him.

Hoover
02-17-2006, 09:39 AM
The Jets would be stupid not to tag him.

But wait, they shit canned that GM

Frankie
02-17-2006, 09:39 AM
Even less reason now to go after this guy. Thank God. Everybody on this bb wants him like he is the second coming of Hugh Douglas.

recxjake
02-17-2006, 09:52 AM
this should make it harder to keep Abraham.

Jets | Pennington declines pay cut
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 05:23:48 -0800

Ken Berger, of Newsday, reports New York Jets QB Chad Pennington's agent, Tom Condon, has rejected the Jets' proposal to slash the injured quarterback's base salary for 2006 to $1 million and force him to earn the remaining $8 million he is owed through incentives. The Jets have until Mar. 3 to decide if they can live with Pennington's current contract, negotiate a cap reduction or release him. The quarterback is due a $3 million roster bonus Mar. 3.

htismaqe
02-17-2006, 09:55 AM
Yeah, if they are forced to cut Pennington, it's a big cap hit.

Anyong Bluth
02-17-2006, 10:30 AM
12 mil i think i heard on ESPN last night

sedated
02-17-2006, 10:32 AM
They had to cap Abraham if they want to trade him.

This is not a big deal.

HolmeZz
02-17-2006, 10:50 AM
They put themselves in a bit of a bind because now they HAVE to trade Abraham, giving the other teams leverage. They don't have the cap room to keep him.

Chiefnj
02-17-2006, 10:55 AM
Poor baby, he'll only make 7 million next year. Think of his starving children.

Mr. Laz
02-17-2006, 11:05 AM
I thought I heard that they were going to tag him all along, but just so they can trade him.

yep ... like we didn't do with Tait

Eleazar
02-17-2006, 11:24 AM
Pennington would have been stupid to trade guaranteed money for incentive money, whatever his physical condition.

I wonder what the cap hit looks like if they cut him. Would it just be for next year, or for the remaining years of his contract?

htismaqe
02-17-2006, 11:33 AM
Pennington would have been stupid to trade guaranteed money for incentive money, whatever his physical condition.

I wonder what the cap hit looks like if they cut him. Would it just be for next year, or for the remaining years of his contract?

The situation with Pennington is horrid. If they keep him, he count's like $10M against the cap. If they cut him, they save like $2M but he still counts $8M against the cap.

RedThat
02-17-2006, 11:37 AM
I've always wondered, can a team franchise tag a player, then remove it? Is that allowed? Or once you tag him, that's it....it becomes permanent where you can't remove the tag.

*I can't see why the Jets would tag Abraham if the guy is unhappy?

recxjake
02-17-2006, 11:39 AM
I've always wondered, can a team franchise tag a player, then remove it? Is that allowed? Or once you tag him, that's it....it becomes permanent where you can't remove the tag.

you can remove it, it has to be w/in a certain amount of time..... and i think also the player has to sign it... isnt that what happend w/ Shawn Alexander last year?

Bowser
02-17-2006, 11:40 AM

Yes. This happened to Jeremiah Trotter a few years back in Philly. They couldn't get any traders for him, so they just removed the franchise tag and let him hit the market. He ended up playing for the Redskins that year.

RedThat
02-17-2006, 11:57 AM
you can remove it, it has to be w/in a certain amount of time..... and i think also the player has to sign it... isnt that what happend w/ Shawn Alexander last year?

Im not sure if that happened to Alexander? sorry dude, if I known I'd be glad to answer your question.

Kclee
02-17-2006, 12:01 PM
and i think also the player has to sign it... isnt that what happend w/ Shawn Alexander last year?

Found this:

The one-year deal is for $6.32 million, the same amount Alexander would have received had he signed the one-year qualifying offer for a "franchise" tailback, a concession that the Seahawks have been attempting to gain for months.

RedThat
02-17-2006, 01:01 PM
Yes. This happened to Jeremiah Trotter a few years back in Philly. They couldn't get any traders for him, so they just removed the franchise tag and let him hit the market. He ended up playing for the Redskins that year.

Ok, Im following you. It all makes sense. I can see why the Jets would tag him. It's possible they'd tag him, to possibly trade him and get something for him.

But I seriously doubt, they would elect to keep him there especially if the guy is not happy.

*I think Abraham will be an UFA