PDA

View Full Version : Great news Mizzou fans!

banyon
02-17-2006, 03:22 PM
Now you can get into the NIT even if you're not .500. ROFL

NEW YORK -- All regular-season conference champions not in the NCAA tournament field will be guaranteed a berth in the National Invitation Tournament, and teams no longer have to have .500 records to be selected for the NIT's 40-team field.

The changes, announced Thursday, come less than a month before the NIT selection committee meets to select the field for the first time since the tournament was purchased by the NCAA.

The committee is comprised of former Division I coaches, including Naismith Memorial Hall of Famers Dean Smith and chairman C.M. Newton. The other members are Don DeVoe, Reggie Minton, Jack Powers and Carroll Williams.

In the past, a team had to win at least half its games to be chosen for the NIT.

The regular-season champions of the 31 Division I conferences not in the NCAA's field of 65 will be invited.

"The committee was unanimous in its view on this matter," Newton said. "It formalizes what postseason basketball should be -- a reward for success throughout the regular season."

The field will be announced March 12, hours after the NCAA field is revealed.

The 40 teams will be seeded and the higher seeds will host games as they advance unless there are extenuating logistical circumstances.

Opening-round play begins on campus sites on March 14 with the second round starting on March 17 and the quarterfinals on March 21.

The semifinals and finals will be played at Madison Square Garden in New York on March 28 and 30.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2333513

Pants
02-17-2006, 03:25 PM
ROFL

ArrowheadHawk
02-17-2006, 05:57 PM
i think it says conference champs......i don't think mizzoo has a shot at that

banyon
02-17-2006, 06:15 PM
i think it says conference champs......i don't think mizzoo has a shot at that

No it has two rule changes. Hence the "AND" and the "change(s)" (plural). :mizzou: has hope!

All regular-season conference champions not in the NCAA tournament field will be guaranteed a berth in the National Invitation Tournament, and teams no longer have to have .500 records to be selected for the NIT's 40-team field.

The changes

They are doing it to get big conference teams in the tourney for ratings. They're the NIT, but they are not stupid, they like $$$ too.

Skip Towne
02-17-2006, 06:21 PM
So you think MU has a chance at the Big XII title? How so?

banyon
02-17-2006, 06:33 PM
2 rule changes

1) All conference regular season champs are guaranteed postseason berths.

2) teams under .500 are allowed into the NIT

Skip Towne
02-17-2006, 06:45 PM
2 rule changes

1) All conference regular season champs are guaranteed postseason berths.

2) teams under .500 are allowed into the NIT
What don't you under stand about "Mizzou has no chance to win the Big XII"? And it doesn't say "All teams with losing records will be invited into the NIT".

banyon
02-17-2006, 07:04 PM
What don't you under stand about "Mizzou has no chance to win the Big XII"? And it doesn't say "All teams with losing records will be invited into the NIT".

Yeah, but they CAN be invited to the NIT this time after they complete their sub-500 season. :D

redbrian
02-17-2006, 07:10 PM
Yeah, but they CAN be invited to the NIT this time after they complete their sub-500 season. :D

This boy is a great shinning example of the Kansas education system.

banyon
02-17-2006, 07:15 PM
sometimes people get jokes and stuff... :shrug: