PDA

View Full Version : American Olympic athlete loses Gold Medal by showing off

alnorth
02-17-2006, 06:16 PM
http://www.nbcolympics.com/snowboarding/5113610/detail.html

Apparently this girl on the US Snowboard Cross team has an enormous lead in the final medal race, a bigger runaway lead than had been seen the last two days in any practice, heat, or final race for both men and women. A few feet from the finish line she decides to show off by executing a very difficult trick on the last jump, a trick she rarely practices. She screwed it up and crashed to the ground *right* before the finish line, allowing the rest of the field to catch up.

That ought to be interesting television tonight.

alanm
02-17-2006, 06:21 PM
This was the chick that was in the Visa commercial wasn't it?
Everyone they've hyped up is bombing out in this Olympics. :shake:

CHENZ A!
02-17-2006, 06:22 PM
I heard it was the second to last jump, and she also competes in halfpipe, so it shouldn't have been hard for her. Either way it's inexcusable, but this broad is sexy, she is on my box of Frosted Flakes.

chiefs4me
02-17-2006, 06:22 PM
and the UAS women's hockey team got it in their heads that they couldnt be beat.........well guess what girls, you will be lucky to end up with the bronze medal...:banghead:

listopencil
02-17-2006, 06:25 PM
"A few feet from the finish line she decides to show off by executing a very difficult trick on the last jump, a trick she rarely practices. She screwed it up and crashed to the ground *right* before the finish line, allowing the rest of the field to catch up."

Ha ha, flava clown. Karma's a bitch.

CHENZ A!
02-17-2006, 06:39 PM
She is the "never nervous" Pervis Pasco of snowboarding.

Frazod
02-17-2006, 06:41 PM
I guess you don't have to be boy to be a punk.

What a disgrace. Bitch. 4321

CoMoChief
02-17-2006, 06:45 PM
Winter Olympics to me just isn't any fun to watch anymore. I like the Summer Olympics alot though. Though I dont agree with any event that has to do with judges deciding the outcome.

Bwana
02-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Classic, Go hang with the mens Basketball team you silly heartless chippy.

Rain Man
02-17-2006, 06:50 PM
Fortunately, she competes in women's snowboarding, so it's not like anyone but her parents care about the sport, and even her parents are only there out of obligation.

Skip Towne
02-17-2006, 06:51 PM
She is the "never nervous" Pervis Pasco of snowboarding.
Leon Lett strikes again!

ZootedGranny
02-17-2006, 06:58 PM
This reminds me of that video of a bicyclist raising his hands moments before crossing the finish line. He lost control, fell on his face and scrambled to run the bike to the finish line, just as a guy won the race.

banyon
02-17-2006, 06:58 PM
Leon Lett strikes again!

Damn. you beat me to it.

CHENZ A!
02-17-2006, 07:02 PM
Damn. you beat me to it.

I had typed Lett first, but decided to ridicule some K-staters.

unlurking
02-17-2006, 07:02 PM
hahahaha

BTW, I'm laughing at all of you calling her names and shit. ;)

She's a 20 yo kid havin' a good time. I don't really care about all this "national pride" about the Olympics. Many of the athletes are teenagers for pete's sake. I say good for her, have fun. Show off, even if it means you do a face plant and only get second place.

Guaranteed, most of you would never know her name if she won the gold!

To me, this is about a big a deal as an old fart getting pelleted by another old fart.

kcfanintitanhell
02-17-2006, 07:04 PM
Damn. you beat me to it.

That play by Leon (well, actually, by Beebe) preserved my score total in a SB pool worth 1200 bucks.

alanm
02-17-2006, 07:05 PM
To me, this is about a big a deal as an old fart getting pelleted by another old fart.
Not according to the national media. You would have thought he'd of killed the guy and anally raped the quail. ROFL

Bearcat
02-17-2006, 07:06 PM
SBX looks really fun... I'd love to make break my neck trying it one day.

and the UAS women's hockey team got it in their heads that they couldnt be beat.........well guess what girls, you will be lucky to end up with the bronze medal...:banghead:

They played well & got beat by a helluva goalie and by a team that was very well prepared. It did suck to watch them lose, but it's good for the sport... shows the rest of the world is catching up.

chiefqueen
02-17-2006, 07:06 PM

I'm not sure of this but I thought I heard them say on TV last week that the winner of the consolation (or placement) round gets the bronze.........if that's true then the US women get nothing.

teedubya
02-17-2006, 07:07 PM
i thought by the title, that she misplaced it or something. heh.

Bearcat
02-17-2006, 07:08 PM
I'm not sure of this but I thought I heard them say on TV last week that the winner of the consolation (or placement) round gets the bronze.........if that's true then the US women get nothing.

The consolation game is the US & whoever won the Finland/Canada game... the winner of that game gets the bronze, which I'm confident will be the United States.

Bearcat
02-17-2006, 07:09 PM
hahahaha

BTW, I'm laughing at all of you calling her names and shit. ;)

She's a 20 yo kid havin' a good time. I don't really care about all this "national pride" about the Olympics. Many of the athletes are teenagers for pete's sake. I say good for her, have fun. Show off, even if it means you do a face plant and only get second place.

Guaranteed, most of you would never know her name if she won the gold!

Yeah.. she seems pretty unconcerned...

"I was having fun," she said. "Snowboarding is fun. I was ahead. I wanted to share my enthusiasm with the crowd. I messed up. Oh well, it happens."

CHENZ A!
02-17-2006, 07:09 PM

I believe they are playing Canada in the bronze medal game.

Rain Man
02-17-2006, 07:38 PM
Yeah.. she seems pretty unconcerned...

"I was having fun," she said. "Snowboarding is fun. I was ahead. I wanted to share my enthusiasm with the crowd. I messed up. Oh well, it happens."

Substitute 'basketball' for 'snowboarding', and you have the 1972 US Men's Basketball Team.

Bearcat
02-17-2006, 08:07 PM
I believe they are playing Canada in the bronze medal game.

Finland will be playing the US for bronze... Team USA beat Finland in the prelims 7-3 (or something like that). Canada will play Sweden for gold, who they beat 8-1 in the prelims, even though I heard their current goalie didn't play the first game.

Calcountry
02-17-2006, 08:17 PM
Winter Olympics to me just isn't any fun to watch anymore. I like the Summer Olympics alot though. Though I dont agree with any event that has to do with judges deciding the outcome.The only event I watched in the summer games, was the womens marathon.

That one chick from the UK just got broken down. Broken physically, mentally, and her heart was broke.

There is nothing tougher than that event. Marathoners run average of 5 minute miles for 26 miles, crazy, just sick to contemplate.

I use to run x country in HS, and was never any good, but I can appreciate the mental wear that that sport has.

JBucc
02-17-2006, 08:20 PM
It seems like everyone in these olympics for the US doesn't give a shit about winning.

Skip Towne
02-17-2006, 08:20 PM
I had typed Lett first, but decided to ridicule some K-staters.
Can't blame ya there. Lett went to Emporia State.

Bwana
02-17-2006, 08:35 PM
Whap! "Lucky Lindsey" packs some snow.

Skip Towne
02-17-2006, 08:36 PM
The only event I watched in the summer games, was the womens marathon.

That one chick from the UK just got broken down. Broken physically, mentally, and her heart was broke.

There is nothing tougher than that event. Marathoners run average of 5 minute miles for 26 miles, crazy, just sick to contemplate.

I use to run x country in HS, and was never any good, but I can appreciate the mental wear that that sport has.
You were a distance runner? Damn, just looking at you I would have advised you not to go to the beach for fear Greenpeace would roll you back in the ocean.

chagrin
02-17-2006, 09:01 PM
This is what happens when you let the X Gamers take on the Olympics, nop pride for their country and instead of taking responsibility for her MISTAKE (did you hear that unlurking - whether or not you have any respect for the olympics, you are wearing the Red, White and Blue) she says, oh, I was just trying to share my fun with the crowd.

Nice deflection kid.

god, these are the "future", great - can't wait!

chiefs4me
02-17-2006, 09:22 PM
This is what happens when you let the X Gamers take on the Olympics, nop pride for their country and instead of taking responsibility for her MISTAKE (did you hear that unlurking - whether or not you have any respect for the olympics, you are wearing the Red, White and Blue) she says, oh, I was just trying to share my fun with the crowd.

Nice deflection kid.

Although I think it sucks for her losing Gold...I didn't see her disrespect the USA in any way........having fun is not disrespect....:thumb:

unlurking
02-17-2006, 09:25 PM

Nice deflection kid.

Oh, and I'm sure you were the model of maturity at the age of 20.

:rolleyes:

I'm GLAD she was trying to "share her fun with the crowd". Yeah, she is wearing the red, white, 'n blue. She is not wearing the red and white of the RUSSIAN ARMY TEAM.

Man, people are reacting to this like the Russian fans after they lost the gold to the American '80 hockey team. I LOVED watching the Russian hockey teams for there pure skill and technique, but they had no PASSION to play the game. I would much rather watch someone so "in the zone" and ENJOYING what they do as athletes, than some stoic pinball performing like a circus act.

No matter what you think about the X Games, at least the participants are fun to watch because they go balls to the wall with a devil be damned attitude. If I didn't want to see that, I'd watch ballroom dancing.

chiefs4me
02-17-2006, 09:31 PM
If I didn't want to see that, I'd watch ballroom dancing.

Hold on buddy...I watch both....:D

unlurking
02-17-2006, 09:35 PM
If I didn't want to see that, I'd watch ballroom dancing.

Hold on buddy...I watch both....:D
Yeah, but you're a star fan. I'm sure gay cowboys are fine catch your way brokeback.

;)

tk13
02-17-2006, 09:51 PM
Wow... they just aired it. That was rough.

Bearcat
02-17-2006, 09:55 PM
Wow... they just aired it. That was rough.

Maybe they'll finally post the video :cuss:

chagrin
02-17-2006, 09:57 PM
Oh, and I'm sure you were the model of maturity at the age of 20.

:rolleyes:

I'm GLAD she was trying to "share her fun with the crowd". Yeah, she is wearing the red, white, 'n blue. She is not wearing the red and white of the RUSSIAN ARMY TEAM.

Man, people are reacting to this like the Russian fans after they lost the gold to the American '80 hockey team. I LOVED watching the Russian hockey teams for there pure skill and technique, but they had no PASSION to play the game. I would much rather watch someone so "in the zone" and ENJOYING what they do as athletes, than some stoic pinball performing like a circus act.

No matter what you think about the X Games, at least the participants are fun to watch because they go balls to the wall with a devil be damned attitude. If I didn't want to see that, I'd watch ballroom dancing.

Dude, you miss the point entirely, almost no point in explaning it to you. I don't knock the x games, but they shouldn't be mixed in with the olympics - but I would have no problem getting rid of the olympics altogether.

No point in talking about me when I was 20, that's a silly argument. The point is, she's there representing and that was one big bonehead move she made. I can't believe you are standing up for her, but I shouldn't be suprised these days. Competition is frowned upon in almost every region now. Yeah, good job looking like a class A idiot kid! She's a great talent and made a seriously bad move. Yeah, in a month nobody will care, but I assume you know what Olympic Athletes go through to get sponsored, at least what the "not rich" athletes go through? To go through all that just to show your ass is sad. I am sorry you don't see that, but it's okay. We're just sharing our opinions here.

Fat Elvis
02-17-2006, 10:10 PM
Freedom of Expression used to be one of the central tenets of American ideology.

Too bad we don't embrace that anymore.

tk13
02-17-2006, 10:16 PM
Maybe they'll finally post the video :cuss:
I'm not sure it's that spectacular. She just tried to grab the board on the 2nd to last jump and wiped out. She had a pretty impressive lead at the time though.

KCFalcon59
02-17-2006, 10:20 PM
Wow. She is a dipshit. Senseless waste. Spend those lottery winnings before the winning numbers have been selected. I bet she loses out on some endorsements now.

Bwana
02-17-2006, 10:24 PM
Wow. She is a dipshit. Senseless waste. Spend those lottery winnings before the winning numbers have been selected. I bet she loses out on some endorsements now.

Perhaps she can get hooked up with Alka Seltzer? :hmmm:

chief52
02-17-2006, 10:27 PM
She made a totally stupid move...but I give her a hell of a lot of credit for going on national TV with Costas and facing the world so quickly.

She showed a hell of a lot of class after the fact IMO.

Smed1065
02-17-2006, 10:28 PM
I only bought a new house, boat and car :)

Logical
02-17-2006, 10:29 PM
So for all you who are embracing her showboating, did you support TO and his Sharpie, Horn and his cell phone, and all the other examples of players just having fun expressing themselves?

unlurking
02-17-2006, 11:07 PM
So for all you who are embracing her showboating, did you support TO and his Sharpie, Horn and his cell phone, and all the other examples of players just having fun expressing themselves?
There's a difference between showboating after the play/event, and trying to place your stamp on a play/event.

In case you don't realize, sports are entertainment to those watching. I'll bet you're the type of guy who loves watching Roy Jones Jr. win a boxing match by dancing around, and NOT FIGHTING. That guy is the BIGGEST WASTE OF TALENT in sports, but he wins. Therefore, he obviously must be high on your list of "approved" athletes, whereas a guy like Manny Paquio, who throws is heart and soul into every match, may get beat occasionaly, but leaves it ALL in the ring, is just a loser.

:shakeshead:

Go back to Green Acres if you want safe and boring.

KingPriest2
02-17-2006, 11:08 PM

Apparently this girl on the US Snowboard Cross team has an enormous lead in the final medal race, a bigger runaway lead than had been seen the last two days in any practice, heat, or final race for both men and women. A few feet from the finish line she decides to show off by executing a very difficult trick on the last jump, a trick she rarely practices. She screwed it up and crashed to the ground *right* before the finish line, allowing the rest of the field to catch up.

First it was a big lead not enormous
Second that was not a very difficult move
Third the move is so easy she does do it all the time
Fourth only one caught up with her.

KingPriest2
02-17-2006, 11:11 PM
Fortunately, she competes in women's snowboarding, so it's not like anyone but her parents care about the sport, and even her parents are only there out of obligation.

Well Actually it is the talk of the games. NBC is thriving on it. It seems like everyone it talking about because of all the drama and action in the race.

For instance During the day you see the figure skating results so you know what to expect

In this you have no idea how the race goes You have to watch to see how the won like in this race.

unlurking
02-17-2006, 11:11 PM
Dude, you miss the point entirely, almost no point in explaning it to you. I don't knock the x games, but they shouldn't be mixed in with the olympics - but I would have no problem getting rid of the olympics altogether.

No point in talking about me when I was 20, that's a silly argument. The point is, she's there representing and that was one big bonehead move she made. I can't believe you are standing up for her, but I shouldn't be suprised these days. Competition is frowned upon in almost every region now. Yeah, good job looking like a class A idiot kid! She's a great talent and made a seriously bad move. Yeah, in a month nobody will care, but I assume you know what Olympic Athletes go through to get sponsored, at least what the "not rich" athletes go through? To go through all that just to show your ass is sad. I am sorry you don't see that, but it's okay. We're just sharing our opinions here.

OK, maybe I missed your point, but don't act all self-righteous that I can't understanc it. :rolleyes:

All I'm saying is that some people are treating this like a international incident because, OMG, America didn't win a gold medal?!?! Rather than going for the decision, she went for the knockout. Good for her.

alnorth
02-17-2006, 11:18 PM
Rather than going for the decision, she went for the knockout. Good for her.

Bad analogy. This was like a team losing in the final seconds of the NCAA tournament because a guy missed a complex windmill dunk on a clear breakaway opportunity when a simple layup would have won.

Frazod
02-17-2006, 11:23 PM
OK, maybe I missed your point, but don't act all self-righteous that I can't understanc it. :rolleyes:

All I'm saying is that some people are treating this like a international incident because, OMG, America didn't win a gold medal?!?! Rather than going for the decision, she went for the knockout. Good for her.

At least you won't have to wait in a long line to get your hero's autograph. :shake:

Bwana
02-17-2006, 11:26 PM
Bad analogy. This was like a team losing in the final seconds of the NCAA tournament because a guy missed a complex windmill dunk on a clear breakaway opportunity when a simple layup would have won.

Exactly...rep

Katipan
02-17-2006, 11:32 PM
I'm ashamed as a woman. As an American.

I want to kick that girl in the ****.

BUT. That could be the beer talking.

mikey23545
02-17-2006, 11:35 PM
****ing idiot spends 4 years of her life training like mad to reach the pinnacle of her sport...All the time and sweating and pain and sacrifice, and then moments from realizing her goal she has to "express herself"...

She is a complete moron as is anyone backing her up on this....

Ultra Peanut
02-17-2006, 11:38 PM
Freedom of Expression used to be one of the central tenets of American ideology.

Too bad we don't embrace that anymore.God damnit, she embarrassed us all! SHE AIN'T NO PATRIOT, AND SHE AIN'T WELCOME BACK HERE!

KCFalcon59
02-17-2006, 11:40 PM
First it was a big lead not enormous
Second that was not a very difficult move
Third the move is so easy she does do it all the time
Fourth only one caught up with her.

The other two wiped out earlier or they would have passed her too.

KingPriest2
02-17-2006, 11:43 PM
The other two wiped out earlier or they would have passed her too.

BUt he said the REST of the field caught up with her when in FACT only one did.

Frazod
02-17-2006, 11:46 PM
****ing idiot spends 4 years of her life training like mad to reach the pinnacle of her sport...All the time and sweating and pain and sacrifice, and then moments from realizing her goal she has to "express herself"...

She is a complete moron as is anyone backing her up on this....

Agreed. This wasn't a quick run down the local track between stealing car stereos and getting drunk. It was the f#cking Olympics.

She may talk tough and laugh it off now, but one of these days this dumb bitch will grow up and realize that she pissed all over what should have been the greatest moment in her life in front of the entire world. She won't be laughing then.

Bwana
02-17-2006, 11:49 PM
BUt he said the REST of the field caught up with her when in FACT only one did.

One got caught up in a snow fence and one was taken off the mountain on a back board. She was "Lucky" to get the silver.

02-17-2006, 11:54 PM

The official Leon Lett moment of the Olympic games.

KingPriest2
02-17-2006, 11:57 PM
Agreed. This wasn't a quick run down the local track between stealing car stereos and getting drunk. It was the f#cking Olympics.

She may talk tough and laugh it off now, but one of these days this dumb bitch will grow up and realize that she pissed all over what should have been the greatest moment in her life in front of the entire world. She won't be laughing then.

I think Costas said it tonite that she will be like a"rememberance" from these games for years to come

That is sad. They will always talk about this.

KingPriest2
02-17-2006, 11:58 PM
One got caught up in a snow fence and one was taken off the mountain on a back board. She was "Lucky" to get the silver.

I know that But he said the REST of the field caught up with her.

Did they? No

Was she passed by one person.

Why not just say she was passed by one person

Frazod
02-18-2006, 12:00 AM
I think Costas said it tonite that she will be like a"rememberance" from these games for years to come

That is sad. They will always talk abou this.

Well, hopefully the next round of punks will learn something from it.

KingPriest2
02-18-2006, 12:02 AM

Agreed. But from what I hear that is the nature of that sport and that is one reason why it is so popular.

KingPriest2
02-18-2006, 12:03 AM
Whap! "Lucky Lindsey" packs some snow.

And

The Agony of DEFEAT!

alnorth
02-18-2006, 12:08 AM
It was kind of amusing to hear the play-by-play as it unfolded. The announcers immediately thinking she was accidentally thrown off, trying to remember how many other racers were thrown off that hill.

Then on the replay, a very long pause..... "uhh, I think she tried to do a reverse method grab"

KingPriest2
02-18-2006, 12:12 AM
It was kind of amusing to hear the play-by-play as it unfolded. The announcers immediately thinking she was accidentally thrown off, trying to remember how many other racers were thrown off that hill.

Then on the replay, a very long pause..... "uhh, I think she tried to do a reverse method grab"

The hill you are thinking about was Uncle Buck and that was a few features before that.

They were suprised whe crashed because where she crashed no one did during all the races she was the first one. That is what they stated.

alnorth
02-18-2006, 12:17 AM
The hill you are thinking about was Uncle Buck and that was a few features before that.

No, I wasnt. I'm not blind, and your not a mind-reader. A grammer nazi maybe, but no mind-reader. I know that the most dangerous features of the track were further back in the course.

I said they were trying to remember how many other riders were thrown off. (they were unable to recall any) I didnt say a lot of other riders were thrown off.

They were suprised whe crashed because where she crashed no one did during all the races she was the first one. That is what they stated.

No kidding. That was evident to anyone watching on TV. I didnt feel like posting the full transcript.

KingPriest2
02-18-2006, 12:20 AM
No, I wasnt. I'm not blind, and your not a mind-reader. A grammer nazi maybe, but no mind-reader. I know that the most dangerous features of the track were further back in the course.

I said they were trying to remember how many other riders were thrown off. (they were unable to recall any) I didnt say a lot of other riders were thrown off.

No kidding. That was evident to anyone watching on TV. I didnt feel like posting the full transcript.

HEy don't get pissed.

alnorth
02-18-2006, 12:23 AM
HEy don't get pissed.

Dude, youve been nit-picking me all night on something I had only linked to after hearing about it from a friend before it was shown on TV. Then, I try to make a remark on something I thought was funny and your standing by, ready with the wet blanket.

Logical
02-18-2006, 12:39 AM
There's a difference between showboating after the play/event, and trying to place your stamp on a play/event.

In case you don't realize, sports are entertainment to those watching. I'll bet you're the type of guy who loves watching Roy Jones Jr. win a boxing match by dancing around, and NOT FIGHTING. That guy is the BIGGEST WASTE OF TALENT in sports, but he wins. Therefore, he obviously must be high on your list of "approved" athletes, whereas a guy like Manny Paquio, who throws is heart and soul into every match, may get beat occasionaly, but leaves it ALL in the ring, is just a loser.

:shakeshead:

Go back to Green Acres if you want safe and boring.

Actually I tend to be the person who is not bothered by TO and Joe Horn and their celebrations. I do find it stupid to lose because you showboat.

Ultra Peanut
02-18-2006, 01:02 AM
I really find it hard to call what she did showboating. It was no different than someone doing a trick as they're about to win a motocross race, and the two sports are very similar. Hardly something that was intended to show up the opposition or anything; her re-telling of the events was that she was off balance, trying to stabilize with the trick, and lost control.

I find the moral indignation over someone who's ecstatic and doing something in the moment to be far more distasteful than her succumbing to her nerves in the clutch.

In the end, she won an Olympic medal. What did you guys accomplish yesterday?

svuba
02-18-2006, 01:47 AM

Wanna Bet she doesn't ever try that again in the omympics?

Lesson learned biaaaaaaatch

banyon
02-18-2006, 02:10 AM
The recap:

10) Plaxico Burress makes catch. spikes ball, even though he wasn't touched. Jags recover for a TD.

9) Pervis Pasco steals ball with about 3 seconds left. Runs off floor in celebration. Travelling called. Colorado hits GW 3 pt shot.

8) Something happens in WNBA. I sorta stopped paying attention for about 10 seconds.

7) Jeremy Shockey pumps his fists and gyrates on the sidelines as Jay Feely misses FG that would've won game.

6) T-Mac says it's good to get to the 2nd round, but Magic had to win 1 more game. They didn't. Whoops.

5) Leon Lett. Nuff' said.

4) Red Sox open champaign, congratulatory call from bullpen. The ball rolls through Buckner's legs. Ray Knight scores. Red Sox lose this game & game 7. Curse continues.

3) LSU/Kentucky football. Guy Morris takes Gatorade shower. Jamarcus Russell hits hail mary to Devery Henderson. Cats lose.

2) Plano TX HS footbal game. One school makes great play to seemingly win game. Announcers go apes***. Then other school returns kickoff for winning score. Announcer says "Man, I feel so bad for these kids. I think I'm gonna vomit."

1) Cal/Stanford. Cal scores on improbable hook and ladder play. The band is on the field! The band is on the field!

Leon Lett is only #5? :spock:

alanm
02-18-2006, 03:27 AM
I feel sorry for the kid but she did learn a life lesson today. Screw around with a sure thing and it will kick you in the ass everytime. :shake:
She'll be back in 4 yrs.
But she did lose out on the chance to be the very first Gold medal winner for this event. :(

alanm
02-18-2006, 03:35 AM
Exactly.

alanm
02-18-2006, 03:41 AM

That is sad. They will always talk about this.
She'll be the female version of that ski jumper going off the side of the ramp on Wide World of Sports. ROFL

alanm
02-18-2006, 03:53 AM
The recap:

10) Plaxico Burress makes catch. spikes ball, even though he wasn't touched. Jags recover for a TD.

9) Pervis Pasco steals ball with about 3 seconds left. Runs off floor in celebration. Travelling called. Colorado hits GW 3 pt shot.

8) Something happens in WNBA. I sorta stopped paying attention for about 10 seconds.

7) Jeremy Shockey pumps his fists and gyrates on the sidelines as Jay Feely misses FG that would've won game.

6) T-Mac says it's good to get to the 2nd round, but Magic had to win 1 more game. They didn't. Whoops.

5) Leon Lett. Nuff' said.

4) Red Sox open champaign, congratulatory call from bullpen. The ball rolls through Buckner's legs. Ray Knight scores. Red Sox lose this game & game 7. Curse continues.

3) LSU/Kentucky football. Guy Morris takes Gatorade shower. Jamarcus Russell hits hail mary to Devery Henderson. Cats lose.

2) Plano TX HS footbal game. One school makes great play to seemingly win game. Announcers go apes***. Then other school returns kickoff for winning score. Announcer says "Man, I feel so bad for these kids. I think I'm gonna vomit."

1) Cal/Stanford. Cal scores on improbable hook and ladder play. The band is on the field! The band is on the field!

Leon Lett is only #5? :spock:
To be fair Leon's almost TD would have had no real effect on the outcome of that game. Dallas won 52-17

mikey23545
02-18-2006, 06:42 AM
I really find it hard to call what she did showboating. It was no different than someone doing a trick as they're about to win a motocross race, and the two sports are very similar. Hardly something that was intended to show up the opposition or anything; her re-telling of the events was that she was off balance, trying to stabilize with the trick, and lost control.

I find the moral indignation over someone who's ecstatic and doing something in the moment to be far more distasteful than her succumbing to her nerves in the clutch.

In the end, she won an Olympic medal. What did you guys accomplish yesterday?

I know one thing I didn't accomplish:

While only seconds away from my life's dream, I didn't flush a gold medal down the toilet after years of gruesomely hard training and preparation while shouting "ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!!!!!!!"

Dartgod
02-18-2006, 08:05 AM
Eh, she'll be more famous for this than if she won the gold. She'll probably be in a Super Bowl commercial next year making fun of the boneheaded move.

Bearcat
02-18-2006, 08:17 AM
I know one thing I didn't accomplish:

While only seconds away from my life's dream, I didn't flush a gold medal down the toilet after years of gruesomely hard training and preparation while shouting "ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!!!!!!!"

I have that penciled in for tomorrow.

Extra Point
02-18-2006, 10:18 AM
I want mustard, not the hotdog. NBC shouldn't have given her the time of day. I changed the channel after Costas asked, "Finally, how do you feel?" Expecting her to sob like a baby or say, "I wouldn't trade back what I did, I won, anyway," I had my fill.

Notice that they don't show enough old school events, that the US can only win in the "Dude Sport" category? Too many events, too little time, too crummy broadcasting.

tiptap
02-18-2006, 10:35 AM
If you had watched the guys go at the racing you would have seen the same tip of the board by the males when they had a big lead. Admittingly it was not in the finals but no one had a big lead in the finals.

It is part of the sport. What I saw were two very bad falls by the two Canadians. (Only one of them got up and got the bronze 10 minutes after the silver.) And the Swiss girl nearly got flipped running up the back of the American. It was a physical run and one in which people were put in peril.

The American was a 20 year old who couldn't even see the person in 2nd place and was already flooded with the emotion of winning. And she lost her concentration. It cost her gold. But it was and is part of games and sports.

KingPriest2
02-18-2006, 11:59 AM
I want mustard, not the hotdog. NBC shouldn't have given her the time of day. I changed the channel after Costas asked, "Finally, how do you feel?" Expecting her to sob like a baby or say, "I wouldn't trade back what I did, I won, anyway," I had my fill.

Notice that they don't show enough old school events, that the US can only win in the "Dude Sport" category? Too many events, too little time, too crummy broadcasting.

What are you talking about?

All I see is skating or skiing on. Also the "dude" sports are very popular.

CHENZ A!
02-18-2006, 12:39 PM

Yes, there is a big difference between celebrating after you win(score a touchdown), and before its over.

Demonpenz
02-18-2006, 05:10 PM
We should do like other countries and cut her achellies with bolt cutters