PDA

View Full Version : The Chiefs should not resign Tony Gonzales...

Logical
02-18-2006, 09:05 PM
... when his contract is up. That bastard won't sign autographs.:p

Seriously at most we should give him only 2 more years beyond the 1 year he has remaining, he is almost washed up now. Time to start cutting the ties to him.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-18-2006, 09:07 PM
get a contract year effort from him first :thumb:

Dunit35
02-18-2006, 09:07 PM
Carl is trying to resign him now and his contract isn't up until next year. He will be signed for 4-6 years.

milkman
02-18-2006, 09:08 PM
Tony G might well be the most overrated TE ever.

ChiefsfaninPA
02-18-2006, 09:08 PM
I am sure that when is contract is up, we wouldn't sign him to a huge contract anyway because of age. Does it really piss people off that much that he doesn't sign autographs?

Wile_E_Coyote
02-18-2006, 09:10 PM
I am sure that when is contract is up, we wouldn't sign him to a huge contract anyway because of age. Does it really piss people off that much that he doesn't sign autographs?

you missed the LJ "I f^&*ing don't play for Penn State anymore" hate:)

58-4ever
02-18-2006, 09:10 PM
Gonzales sucks. However, they should really try and resign that Gonzalez guy. He has made a few probowls.

Cherryontop
02-18-2006, 09:11 PM
Hes our most reliable reciever.While i think Gates took over the best Te In the league,Tony G is nothing to sneeze at.He lead the league in catches just 2 years ago.How many years are left in his contract anyway?

ChiefsfaninPA
02-18-2006, 09:12 PM
you missed the LJ "I f^&*ing don't play for Penn State anymore" hate:)

Being a n00b not quite sure what that means.

Hammock Parties
02-18-2006, 09:12 PM
This is getting ridiculous. Tony had a fine year. He would have had 1,000 yards if Willie Roaf hadn't gotten hurt.

milkman
02-18-2006, 09:13 PM
Hes our most reliable reciever.While i think Gates took over the best Te In the league,Tony G is nothing to sneeze at.He lead the league in catches just 2 years ago.How many years are left in his contract anyway?

Yeah, and he probably has lead the league for years in fewest tackles broken, and fewest YAC.

Dunit35
02-18-2006, 09:14 PM

He has the 06 season left. But will probably be resigned before the season starts.

Hammock Parties
02-18-2006, 09:17 PM
Yeah, and he probably has lead the league for years in fewest tackles broken, and fewest YAC.

Actually Tony had 323 yards after the catch. That was fourth among tight ends (Cooley #1, Gates #2, Shockey #3).

Wile_E_Coyote
02-18-2006, 09:17 PM
Being a n00b not quite sure what that means.
a CP member tried to get LJ to sign some Penn State memorabilia at his(LJ) first Chiefs' training camp. He told him "I don't f'ing play for Penn State anymore." He got a lot of grief here for awhile, for that. I think it's all water under the bridge now :)

chiefs4me
02-18-2006, 09:18 PM
Trade away Tony????????? WTF are you people smoking...now I know I have read the dumbest thread ever.......:rolleyes::cuss:

Hoover
02-18-2006, 09:18 PM
I think Al Saunders hurt TG's production.

I think he will bounce back with MS as our OC

Hammock Parties
02-18-2006, 09:19 PM
I think Al Saunders hurt TG's production.

I think he will bounce back with MS as our OC

Yep Al hurt his production so much. He was horrible as the #2 TE in the league this year. :rolleyes:

ChiefsfaninPA
02-18-2006, 09:19 PM
a CP member tried to get LJ to sign some Penn State memorabilia at his first Chiefs' training camp. He told him "I don't f'ing play for Penn State anymore." He got a lot of grief here for awhile, for that. I think it's all water under the bridge now :)

Ok I get it now. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to sign stuff, I guess most people have a problem if they feel that the person is just being a dick about not wanting to sign stuff.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-18-2006, 09:23 PM
Ok I get it now. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to sign stuff, I guess most people have a problem if they feel that the person is just being a dick about not wanting to sign stuff.

most people got the impression LJ didn't want to be a Chief(in fact he may have said so). But he didn't want to play behind Holmes, he knew his chances would be few & far between. He wanted to start. I doubt anybody holds it against him

Hoover
02-18-2006, 09:24 PM
Yep Al hurt his production so much. He was horrible as the #2 TE in the league this year. :rolleyes:
I'm not saying he wasn't good, I'm saying he was not the focal point in the passing game.

milkman
02-18-2006, 09:24 PM
Actually Tony had 323 yards after the catch. That was fourth among tight ends (Cooley #1, Gates #2, Shockey #3).

I was embellishing.

Tony, for his size, seems to go down far easier than he should.

Logical
02-18-2006, 09:25 PM

I actually could care less, I was making fun of some of the guys around here who it does upset. He is almost done with his productive years and we need to phase him out.

Cherryontop
02-18-2006, 09:25 PM
I cant believe this is an issue right now.Hes washed up?What the heck is going on in Chief nation?
The guy can still put up very good numbers,and attracts a lot of attention from opposing defenses.

Hammock Parties
02-18-2006, 09:26 PM
I'm not saying he wasn't good, I'm saying he was not the focal point in the passing game.

You're nuts.

If Gonzalez was not here our passing would not be near as good as it has been the last 4 seasons. Tony draws so much coverage in the middle of the field it makes life easier for our WRs.

Any Chiefs fan that wants to dump Tony Gonzalez is an idiot.

Hammock Parties
02-18-2006, 09:27 PM
He is almost done with his productive years and we need to phase him out.

You are a moron. He had 905 yards last season. That ranks as his 4th best season. He is nowhere close to being unproductive.

Logical
02-18-2006, 09:27 PM
Trade away Tony????????? WTF are you people smoking...now I know I have read the dumbest thread ever.......:rolleyes::cuss:

You dumb ass where do you see the words trade in my thread post. He is not worth anything anymore as far as trade material. OH and I can use big font too.:p

Cherryontop
02-18-2006, 09:28 PM
Totally agree,Tony is still a very good tight end.Hes the least of our problems.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-18-2006, 09:29 PM
You're nuts.

If Gonzalez was not here our passing would not be near as good as it has been the last 4 seasons. Tony draws so much coverage in the middle of the field it makes life easier for our WRs.

Any Chiefs fan that wants to dump Tony Gonzalez is an idiot.

dump no, trade :hmmm:

Logical
You are a moron. He had 905 yards last season. That ranks as his 4th best season. He is nowhere close to being unproductive.I said almost done with his productive years, are you not able to read?

Cherryontop
Hey Vlad,dont you think calling Tony G a bastard is a little harsh?

Hammock Parties
02-18-2006, 09:30 PM
dump no, trade :hmmm:

Absolutely not. Tony should be a Chief for life.

Skip Towne
02-18-2006, 09:31 PM
I was embellishing.

Tony, for his size, seems to go down far easier than he should.
He definately does. I've never seen him go more than 3 yards after a catch. I can't believe he has more than 300 YAC. Maybe for his whole career.

Hammock Parties
02-18-2006, 09:32 PM
I said almost done with his productive years, are you not able to read?

You said he was almost done with his productive years. You are wrong. His production has not dropped.

You said he was "almost washed up." Nothing could be further from the truth.

You will know when Tony is washed up, because people will be able to cover him with one guy and we will stop racking up 4,000 yards passing.

Hammock Parties
02-18-2006, 09:33 PM
He definately does. I've never seen him go more than 3 yards after a catch. I can't believe he has more than 300 YAC. Maybe for his whole career.

You are wrong. Tony had a nice 39-yard catch this year which was almost all YAC.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-18-2006, 09:34 PM
Absolutely not. Tony should be a Chief for life.

Gonzo has alot of name recognition. If a team wanted to put butts in the seats, they may give up a nice trade. Anybody is tradeable

Logical
Hey Vlad,dont you think calling Tony G a bastard is a little harsh?

n00bs :rolleyes:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3041334&postcount=16

milkman
You said he was almost done with his productive years. You are wrong. His production has not dropped.

You will know when Tony is washed up, because people will be able to cover him with one guy and we will stop racking up 4,000 yards passing.

Injuries and age are catching up to him.

He's never been fast, and he's almost Mark Bavarro slow now.

Skip Towne
02-18-2006, 09:36 PM
You are wrong. Tony had a nice 39-yard catch this year which was almost all YAC.
What game was that? I don't believe it.

Logical
02-18-2006, 09:39 PM

LOL, I remember San Diego fans thinking the same thing about Kellen Winslow.

Hammock Parties
02-18-2006, 09:40 PM
What game was that? I don't believe it.

The Dallas game.

Since it is obvious you do not understand the facts, please remove yourself from the debate.

Hammock Parties
02-18-2006, 09:42 PM
LOL, I remember San Diego fans thinking the same thing about Kellen Winslow.

Winslow is a completely different animal. He only had 3 seasons over 800 yards. Gonzalez already has 6.

Logical
02-18-2006, 09:44 PM
Our friendly alien got one thing right.

(6:40) T.Green pass to T.Gonzalez to DAL 6 for 39 yards (T.Newman). Pass caught left side of the field at the Dallas 40 before breaking a tackle and turning down left sideline.

Skip Towne
02-18-2006, 09:45 PM
The Dallas game.

Since it is obvious you do not understand the facts, please remove yourself from the debate.
F*ck you, you fatass eunuch. I still don't believe that he could rumble 39 yards after a catch. The slowest LB in the league could catch him after 10 yards. I'm sure I would remember him creeping down the sidelines for that kind of gain.

Logical
02-18-2006, 09:47 PM
Winslow is a completely different animal. He only had 3 seasons over 800 yards. Gonzalez already has 6.

Yup Winslow played on teams with two to three excellent Wide Receives. He still average 12.5 ypc compared to Gonzos 12.1. Gonzo has had the advantage of being the only real receiving weapon most of his seasons in KC.

milkman
02-18-2006, 09:47 PM

Winslow played in an offense that included Wes Chandler, Charlie Joiner and John Jefferson.

He didn't have to be the focal point of the passing game.

Kellen Winslow, in his prime, was better than Tony G.

Gates, right now, is better than Tony G ever was.

Skip Towne
02-18-2006, 09:49 PM
I must have gone to take a piss while that happened.

dj56dt58
02-18-2006, 09:52 PM
If Tony doesn't wanna sign autographs, get the **** out. If LJ wants to punch a kid in the face when asked to sign an autograph and light my car on fire...good for him, he stays in KC.

LJ>>>>>>>>>>>>TG

Hammock Parties
02-18-2006, 09:53 PM
F*ck you, you fatass eunuch. I still don't believe that he could rumble 39 yards after a catch. The slowest LB in the league could catch him after 10 yards. I'm sure I would remember him creeping down the sidelines for that kind of gain.

OK, I guess I hallucinated this:

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/2858/gonzales39ydcatchrun2ti.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Bowser
02-18-2006, 09:54 PM
I remember that play. He broke away from Roy Williams trying to tackle him.

Hammock Parties
02-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Gates, right now, is better than Tony G ever was.

Hah OK whatever. Gates has never had over 100 catches and 1,258 yards.

Gates has also played his entire career with a dynamite RB and a good QB. Two things that Tony didn't have in KC for awhile.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-18-2006, 09:57 PM
If Tony doesn't wanna sign autographs, get the **** out. If LJ wants to punch a kid in the face when asked to sign an autograph and light my car on fire...good for him, he stays in KC.

LJ>>>>>>>>>>>>TG
he sent one of his bitches over to see my kid in the horsepistol. It's all cool

~oh & the car was a POS

milkman

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/2858/gonzales39ydcatchrun2ti.gif (http://imageshack.us)

It looks like Williams lost his balance before he attempted the tackle.

|Zach|

ROFL ROFL

PastorMikH
As unpopular as it may sound, Logical may have the right idea here. TG adds a lot of diversity to our O. However, he costs as much as a top WR but doesn't put up near the #s that a top-tiered WR will put up. Looking also at the fact that when his contract does come up, the door to playoffs success may be slamming shut and we will be entering into full-blown rebuilding, it doesn't make sense to give a big contract to a guy who's career is about over and will be gone once the team rises back to contender status.

I'd love to keep TG, but I think a young, true #1 WR would be more of a benifit to us if I had to choose.

Hammock Parties
02-18-2006, 09:59 PM

Whatever.

Gonzalez is not washed up, not even close. He has 3 or 4 good years left.

I cannot believe the disrespect this place is giving him. He is in the middle of a hall of fame career.

chiefs4me
02-18-2006, 10:00 PM
You dumb ass where do you see the words trade in my thread post. He is not worth anything anymore as far as trade material. OH and I can use big font too.:p

OH MY GOD.....:rolleyes: I can think of at least 5 teams that would gladly trade us for Tony......how old are you again??? Forget it, I'm done with this thread......:harumph:

dj56dt58
02-18-2006, 10:07 PM

Hallucinated what? I don't see anything

:p

PastorMikH
02-18-2006, 10:08 PM
Whatever.

Gonzalez is not washed up, not even close. He has 3 or 4 good years left.

I cannot believe the disrespect this place is giving him. He is in the middle of a hall of fame career.

He's not really in the middle anymore. I love TG. But at 3-4 years, we have him for 1 year, which means he signs with 2-3 years left of his career. At the same time, we will probably lose Shields and Roaf (provided Shields is even back in 06). Green has 2-3 years tops. Tony's next contract will probably be expensive. He knows it will be his last payday and he will push for as much as he can get. Once these veterans are gone, we're going to need every bit of the cap we can get for their replacements as well as what it will cost us to re-up LJ and any other stars we may have.

As much as I want TG around, $ will be crucial and we may not be able to afford to keep expensive old guys around.

milkman
02-18-2006, 10:09 PM
Hah OK whatever. Gates has never had over 100 catches and 1,258 yards.

Gates has also played his entire career with a dynamite RB and a good QB. Two things that Tony didn't have in KC for awhile.

Stats are only a part of the picture.

Gates is faster, and more athletic than Tony is, or ever was.

He also is only going into his fourth season.

Tony, earlier in his career, dropped a lot of catchable balls, and reverted to that somewhat this last season.

Logical
02-18-2006, 10:10 PM
OH MY GOD.....:rolleyes: I can think of at least 5 teams that would gladly trade us for Tony......how old are you again??? Forget it, I'm done with this thread......:harumph:

Bye

Logical
02-18-2006, 10:11 PM
He's not really in the middle anymore. I love TG. But at 3-4 years, we have him for 1 year, which means he signs with 2-3 years left of his career. At the same time, we will probably lose Shields and Roaf (provided Shields is even back in 06). Green has 2-3 years tops. Tony's next contract will probably be expensive. He knows it will be his last payday and he will push for as much as he can get. Once these veterans are gone, we're going to need every bit of the cap we can get for their replacements as well as what it will cost us to re-up LJ and any other stars we may have.

As much as I want TG around, $ will be crucial and we may not be able to afford to keep expensive old guys around.:clap:

Mr. Kotter
02-18-2006, 10:11 PM
Autographs suck.

For players who have to sign them.

For people who feel the need to "get them."

With all the fakes and forgeries, who really gives a fukk anyway....

As long as he's productive, he should finish his career in Red and Yellow. Period.

Hammock Parties
02-18-2006, 10:14 PM
Gates is faster, and more athletic than Tony is, or ever was.

Michael Vick is faster and more athletic than Joe Montana is, or ever was.

JBucc
02-18-2006, 10:14 PM
If anything, TG should want to get the **** out of KC and go to a winning organization. He's only caught more passes than anyone ever in red and gold, and what does he have to show for it? Nada.

Logical
02-18-2006, 10:15 PM
Autographs suck.

As long as he's productive, he should finish his career in Red and Yellow. Period.

Rob that part was a joke.

Hammock Parties
02-18-2006, 10:15 PM
Autographs suck.

Excellent post. Autographs are gay.

I'll start hating Gonzalez when he calls out his teammates or flicks off the fans.

Logical
02-18-2006, 10:17 PM

And if Vick could throw as well as Montana, and Gonzo could catch as consistently as Gates you would have a point.

milkman
02-18-2006, 10:18 PM

We're not talking about the QB position here.

Gates makes all the catches, and has the abilty to do more in the open field.

Mr. Kotter
02-18-2006, 10:19 PM
Rob that part was a joke.

Cool then...my boy is 10 yrs old.

I think it would be cool for him to remember Tony G. as "the Chiefs" from his growing up years....kinda like I remember George Brett as "the Royals" from my growing up years....

Tony G. IS the Chiefs, from this era. I hope he never wears another uniform. That would degrade it a bit for me....that's all I'm saying, really.

Hammock Parties
02-18-2006, 10:19 PM
And if Vick could throw as well as Montana, and Gonzo could catch as consistently as Gates you would have a point.

Seriously. Call me when Gates has 8 straight seasons of 50 or more catches.

Gates had a better year last year. That is the only hard truth right now.

JBucc
02-18-2006, 10:20 PM
One thing I have to give to Gonzo is that his blocking has improved greatly, and since he apparently can no longer catch, I think he should put on 80 pounds and be our new LT.

Halfcan
02-18-2006, 10:21 PM
It goes beyond autographs with TG. He is absolutely an asshole to the fans and especially to kids that look up to him. But to say he sucks on the football field and we should get rid of him is just stupid.

Halfcan
02-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Seriously. Call me when Gates has 8 straight seasons of 50 or more catches.

Gates had a better year last year. That is the only hard truth right now.

Gates doesn't get double-teamed and held on every play either.

milkman
02-18-2006, 10:23 PM
It goes beyond autographs with TG. He is absolutely an asshole to the fans and especially to kids that look up to him. But to say he sucks on the football field and we should get rid of him is just stupid.

Comprehend much?

Logical
02-18-2006, 10:26 PM

I think it would be cool for him to remember Tony G. as "the Chiefs" from his growing up years....kinda like I remember George Brett as "the Royals" from my growing up years....

Tony G. IS the Chiefs, from this era. I hope he never wears another uniform. That would degrade it a bit for me....that's all I'm saying, really.
I understand but on the other hand do you want to see the Chiefs degrade like we watched the Royals degrade in Brett's latter years? That is what I believe the legacy is for holding on to someone too long.

PastorMikH
02-18-2006, 10:32 PM
Who knows what will happen yet. With the shape we are in cap-wise, and TG taking a decent chunk himself this season, and with the fact that about the only thing left that TG doesn't have is a Superbowl, he may opt to sign a cap-friendly extension for 2-3 more years before the season starts.

PastorMikH
02-18-2006, 10:35 PM
I understand but on the other hand do you want to see the Chiefs degrade like we watched the Royals degrade in Brett's latter years? That is what I believe the legacy is for holding on to someone too long.

There is a bit of difference there though. The Royals weren't up against a salary cap, they were just being cheap. Personally, I never really liked Brett, but I thought it was a shame that he wasn't allowed to buy the team.

Cherryontop
02-18-2006, 10:41 PM
Anyone remember when Tony G knocked out a camera guy,then to find out he actually saved his life?

If you know the story,you'll know how ironic it was,but at the same time,Tony did care to visit and make sure the camera man was okay.

Doesnt sound like a complete ass to me.

Chief Roundup
02-18-2006, 10:48 PM
Typical of you logical.
Like a little kid...Tony pissed in my cherrios so he shouldn't play for the Chiefs...

Mr. Kotter
02-18-2006, 10:51 PM
There is a bit of difference there though. The Royals weren't up against a salary cap, they were just being cheap. Personally, I never really liked Brett, but I thought it was a shame that he wasn't allowed to buy the team.

Absolutely, Pastor. :toast:

Communion wine, of course....heh.

Logical
02-18-2006, 11:01 PM
Typical of you logical.
Like a little kid...Tony pissed in my cherrios so he shouldn't play for the Chiefs...

Dude one more time:

I was being sarcastic, I think autographs are stupid.

Logical
02-18-2006, 11:03 PM
Who knows what will happen yet. With the shape we are in cap-wise, and TG taking a decent chunk himself this season, and with the fact that about the only thing left that TG doesn't have is a Superbowl, he may opt to sign a cap-friendly extension for 2-3 more years before the season starts.

If he was smart and really wants a Super Bowl he would play out his contract and try to sign on with a team that is really close to making the Super Bowl and does not have Carl as General Manager.

NJ Chief Fan
02-18-2006, 11:18 PM
T-Goat maybe an ass, but he shows up on sundays which i last checked is what matters...at least he doesnt have the cocky attitude of a TO

Halfcan
02-18-2006, 11:36 PM
T-Goat maybe an ass, but he shows up on sundays which i last checked is what matters...at least he doesnt have the cocky attitude of a TO

yep, the same TO people have a boner for on here.

beer bacon
02-18-2006, 11:46 PM

You must not watch many games. He had a catch in 2003 or 2004 that ended up being 50-70 yards because he broke several tackles and stiff armed a defender for 30 yards.

Chiefs Express
02-18-2006, 11:59 PM
I cant believe this is an issue right now.Hes washed up?What the heck is going on in Chief nation?
The guy can still put up very good numbers,and attracts a lot of attention from opposing defenses.

The only place this is an issue is in the minds of the mindless. Being great is no longer good enough for quite a few of the people that to populate this board.

Chiefs Express
02-19-2006, 12:02 AM

You didn't see williams before the tackle on that clip.

Face it, you just don't know football.

Hammock Parties
02-19-2006, 12:04 AM
The only place this is an issue is in the minds of the mindless.

Well said!

Simply Red
02-19-2006, 12:06 AM
What is that sign Larry Johnson does with his hands after he scores?

Halfcan
02-19-2006, 01:06 AM
What is that sign Larry Johnson does with his hands after he scores?

I think it means he hates white folks-but I am not sure.

Rausch
02-19-2006, 01:13 AM

If it meant "I hate Rausch, and I'd like to pound him in an emptied eye socket" I don't care as long as he keeps ripping the NFL a new one...

Mr. Kotter
02-19-2006, 01:14 AM

I think "hate" is a strong word.....more like, "uncomfortable with the crackas" kinda thing.....just FTR. ;)

Mr. Kotter
02-19-2006, 01:14 AM
If it meant "I hate Rausch, and I'd like to pound him in an emptied eye socket" I don't care as long as he keeps ripping the NFL a new one...

Holy crap....

:Lin:

Thanks for taking one for the "team"...heh. ROFL

greg63
02-19-2006, 01:20 AM
Gonzales sucks. However, they should really try and resign that Gonzalez guy. He has made a few probowls.

So, are you pro or con Gonzales?

Logical
02-19-2006, 01:23 AM
So, are you pro or con Gonzales?I believe he was teasing me about my typo "S" vs. "Z"

Rausch
02-19-2006, 01:27 AM
I believe he was teasing me about my typo "S" vs. "Z"

I'd like to tease you about the idiocy behind wanting to dump Gonzo...

greg63
02-19-2006, 01:29 AM
I believe he was teasing me about my typo "S" vs. "Z"
Got it, I really gotta start reading these things more closely. :banghead:

I misspelled it also.

Logical
02-19-2006, 01:40 AM
I'd like to tease you about the idiocy behind wanting to dump Gonzo...Not so much dump as phase out.

beavis
02-19-2006, 01:52 AM
I'd like to tease you about the idiocy behind wanting to dump Gonzo...
This place never ceases to amaze me.

greg63
02-19-2006, 02:11 AM
This place never ceases to amaze me.

...Me too, but then again I'm easily amazed.

beavis
02-19-2006, 02:12 AM
...Me too, but then again I'm easily amazed.
Hell I think while we're at it, we ought to get rid of Roaf, Shields, and Richardson. They are all obviously way past their prime.

Chiefaholic
02-19-2006, 02:14 AM
... when his contract is up. That bastard won't sign autographs.:p

Seriously at most we should give him only 2 more years, he is almost washed up now. Time to start cutting the ties to him.

That's odd.. I've got his autograph on multiple occasions. You must have caught him at a bad time.

StcChief
02-19-2006, 02:30 AM
Sign TG to 2-3 yr deal. Would be nice to have the TE with most receptions/receiving yards. VEry good chance to break NFL record.

Hopefully along the way a SB.

chubychecker
02-19-2006, 02:39 AM
Homerism...... Tony G has been great for KC. However, the fact is the TE position has changed greatly in the last three years, (tony led this charge), there are many Te that would be a lot cheaper and possibly more productive in the open market than TG. A #1 receiver would much better suite the offense. TG's value will never be higher than it is now. IT will only decline. He is old and an asshole. That will never change. Give me a #1 receiver and an average TE any day of the week over that arrogant prick. I don't care what he did for us in the past. He's not worth the $$$$$

Chiefaholic
02-19-2006, 03:10 AM
You're an idiot

Rausch
02-19-2006, 04:41 AM
Not so much dump as phase out.

Won't it be wonderful when the media plays on the Gonzo/Roaf/Shields/Green "Ain't it nice they finally won one" super bowl hype?

:)

milkman
02-19-2006, 07:18 AM
You didn't see williams before the tackle on that clip.

That's why I said "it looks like" he lost his balance, rather than state unequivocally that he had.

Face it, you just don't know football.

And there it is, the inevitable "you don't know football" when someone disagrees with an opinion.

Chiefs Express
02-19-2006, 08:03 AM
That's why I said "it looks like" he lost his balance, rather than state unequivocally that he had.

And there it is, the inevitable "you don't know football" when someone disagrees with an opinion.

Your basic commentary proves that you don't know football. Besides, nobody on this board agrees with your opinion.

phxchief
02-19-2006, 09:03 AM
I never thought i'd see the day or come to say this, but gochiefs is absolutely destroying this argument. It's nearing embarrassment.

htismaqe
02-19-2006, 10:48 AM
This place has become laughable.

chiefs4me
02-19-2006, 10:57 AM

Thank you Thank you Thank you................:clap:

I pray to God he NEVER wears another teams colors.........:deevee:

chiefs4me
02-19-2006, 10:59 AM
Homerism...... Tony G has been great for KC. However, the fact is the TE position has changed greatly in the last three years, (tony led this charge), there are many Te that would be a lot cheaper and possibly more productive in the open market than TG. A #1 receiver would much better suite the offense. TG's value will never be higher than it is now. IT will only decline. He is old and an asshole. That will never change. Give me a #1 receiver and an average TE any day of the week over that arrogant prick. I don't care what he did for us in the past. He's not worth the $$$$$

so you would be okay seeing him play for the donks, or radiers???:rolleyes: Do you even watch football???????????

Skip Towne
02-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Fred Arbanas was better. 15.7 yards per reception versus TG's paltry 12.1.

milkman
02-19-2006, 11:10 AM

And blind in one eye!!!!!

Chiefnj
02-19-2006, 11:16 AM
Even though Tony's contract is not yet up, this offseason is somewhat a contract year because of the Chiefs cap situation.

Tony G has a 3.6 million base salary this year. He's an attractive candidate to restructure or do something else like trade.

If he restructures he's going to want top money which means a big bonus. Tony isn't going to want to sign a 2 or 3 year deal. I don't think he is going to want to be in a Ty Law situation where every year you are looking for another deal in another city.

Tony was, and still is, a great TE. But, do you want to tie up so much money in the TE position on the downside of a players career? It's a tough question. If you could get a first round pick for him I think I'd make a trade.

milkman
02-19-2006, 11:45 AM
Even though Tony's contract is not yet up, this offseason is somewhat a contract year because of the Chiefs cap situation.

Tony G has a 3.6 million base salary this year. He's an attractive candidate to restructure or do something else like trade.

If he restructures he's going to want top money which means a big bonus. Tony isn't going to want to sign a 2 or 3 year deal. I don't think he is going to want to be in a Ty Law situation where every year you are looking for another deal in another city.

Tony was, and still is, a great TE. But, do you want to tie up so much money in the TE position on the downside of a players career? It's a tough question. If you could get a first round pick for him I think I'd make a trade.

The best option, IMO, is to get Tony a new contract.

Give him his bonus on a 5 year contract, and after the 3rd year, when he is really approaching the downside of his career, and the cap hit isn't as devastating, work a trade for him

Hammock Parties
02-19-2006, 12:14 PM
I never thought i'd see the day or come to say this, but gochiefs is absolutely destroying this argument. It's nearing embarrassment.

I have relished it. My favorite salvo was the hallucination of TG's 39-yard catch.

Hammock Parties
02-19-2006, 12:15 PM

Your and idiot.

Skip Towne
02-19-2006, 12:26 PM
And blind in one eye!!!!!
Yep, he lost an eye in a street fight.

Skip Towne
02-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Your and idiot.
Your and eunuch. I'd rather be and idiot.

Skip Towne
02-19-2006, 12:33 PM
I have relished it. My favorite salvo was the hallucination of TG's 39-yard catch.
One catch does NOT make him a good runner. He IS NOT a good runner. AS threw a screen pass to him this year and I about lost it. Of course it went for no gain.

penchief
02-19-2006, 12:36 PM
most people got the impression LJ didn't want to be a Chief(in fact he may have said so). But he didn't want to play behind Holmes, he knew his chances would be few & far between. He wanted to start. I doubt anybody holds it against him

Plus, he was probably getting tired of being called "just" another Penn State running back who would be no better than KiJana Carter or Curtis Enis.

Skip Towne
02-19-2006, 12:39 PM
Plus, he was probably getting tired of being called "just" another Penn State running back who would be no better than KiJana Carter or Curtis Enis.
He probably also didn't like it that none of those pussies would say it to his face.

penchief
02-19-2006, 12:46 PM
After reading the biggest part of this thread I think both sides of this issue make valid points.

I believe Tony is slightly overrated. He's not great after the run and he does drop easy passes. On the other hand, he does require double-teams, causes mismatch problems for the defense, and he is still very atheletic. All in all, he's an intregal part of our offensive success.

I'm also not sure I agree that he is slowing down. The dude is barely 30 years old and hasn't really taken a beating during his career. If we had more talent at wideout I think he would easily be capable of breaking his single season totals in both receptions and yardage.

Hammock Parties
02-19-2006, 01:18 PM
One catch does NOT make him a good runner. He IS NOT a good runner. AS threw a screen pass to him this year and I about lost it. Of course it went for no gain.

That screen has worked before. Tony is not in a system that really allows him to run after the catch. He is a west coast tight end. When we ran that offense he racked up all kinds of YAC. And he's still doing it anyway, #4 in the league among TEs.

milkman
02-19-2006, 01:23 PM
That screen has worked before. Tony is not in a system that really allows him to run after the catch. He is a west coast tight end. When we ran that offense he racked up all kinds of YAC. And he's still doing it anyway, #4 in the league among TEs.

Seems like a lot of his YAC is when he's wide open in the middle of the field and he has the chance to rumble for a few yards.

58-4ever
02-19-2006, 01:25 PM
Not to mention that he is a HUGE target that rarely drops balls. He has also become an exceptional blocker. And I have yet to hear any suggestions on who would replace him. Besides the top few, there are no tight ends that even come close.

Hammock Parties
02-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Seems like a lot of his YAC is when he's wide open in the middle of the field and he has the chance to rumble for a few yards.

OK listen...WHATEVER!!!

The Chiefs do not need to think about dumping him! Not for at LEAST 4 seasons.

milkman
02-19-2006, 01:31 PM
OK listen...WHATEVER!!!

I'm not actually saying the Chiefs should dump him.

I'm also not saying that he isn't a great TE.

I'm saying that he is somewhat overrated, and that he should be extended, and towards the end of his new contract, traded, before his skills diminish altogether.

stevieray
02-19-2006, 01:33 PM
Throw him under the bus!

It's so en vogue.

milkman
02-19-2006, 01:38 PM
Throw him under the bus!

It's so en vogue.

The Bus has retired.
Haven't you heard?

JohnnyV13
02-19-2006, 02:57 PM
TG will be 30 next season. Shannon Sharpe was productive right up to his last season at 35. I don't think its unreasonable to expect Tony to follow a similar pattern since he has not suffered a major injury. Yeah, he has that foot injury, but that's hardly like ligament damage or an achillies problem.

Winslow was another case, because he was never the same after a devastating knee injury which shortened his career.

Red Dawg
02-19-2006, 04:54 PM

AMEN TO THAT BRUTHA!

Hootie
02-19-2006, 05:01 PM
This is getting ridiculous. Tony had a fine year. He would have had 1,000 yards if Willie Roaf hadn't gotten hurt.
yeah, what the **** is up with the tony bashing...he's an excellent, all-around tight end. You can't say that about Gates...

Chiefs Express
02-19-2006, 05:05 PM
What I see is the mentality of the "real fans here" seems to be attack your own assets just in case there is a failure then you are covered by being able to say "I told you so".

Hootie
02-19-2006, 05:08 PM
I think it's funny that people talk about trading players like Tony Gonzalez. This is the NFL, trades just don't happen like that. He'll either end his career a Chief, or sign somewhere else via free agency. There will be no Tony Gonzalez trade, ever.

Luzap
02-19-2006, 05:09 PM
An argument can be made for retiring Tony as a Chief, or for trading him while he still has value. What I disagree with is cutting him for no compensation.

Right now, the Chiefs are still on a Championship run. Now is not the time to be getting rid of our weapons.

After next year, this could change. I too believe that Tony has several good years left in him. Regardless, no one wil trade for him if he only has one year left on his contract. Carl is doing the exact right thing by renegotiating a long term deal. This keeps all of our options open after we make another run this year.

Luz
take that you carl haters...

Hootie
02-19-2006, 05:12 PM
An argument can be made for retiring Tony as a Chief, or for trading him while he still has value. What I disagree with is cutting him for no compensation.

Right now, the Chiefs are still on a Championship run. Now is not the time to be getting rid of our weapons.

After next year, this could change. I too believe that Tony has several good years left in him. Regardless, no one wil trade for him if he only has one year left on his contract. Carl is doing the exact right thing by renegotiating a long term deal. This keeps all of our options open after we make another run this year.

Luz
take that you carl haters...
Wrong. It's easier to trade a player with one year left in their contract. It's much tougher to trade a guy like say, Culpepper, because he's owed 100 friggin' million dollars. No one is going to take on that, and if they do, the Vikings won't get shit in return other than cap relief.

The most we'd get for Tony G would be a second rounder...and that's not a bash to Tony G, either.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-19-2006, 05:14 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/football/nfl/players/4303.jpg

Luzap
02-19-2006, 05:24 PM
Wrong. It's easier to trade a player with one year left in their contract. It's much tougher to trade a guy like say, Culpepper, because he's owed 100 friggin' million dollars. No one is going to take on that, and if they do, the Vikings won't get shit in return other than cap relief.

The most we'd get for Tony G would be a second rounder...and that's not a bash to Tony G, either.

Let's look at the Patrick Surtan trade (Dolphins to Chiefs). The trade couldn't happen because he only had one year left on his contract. No team is going to shell out big compensation (draft picks) when they'll only have the player for one year.

You could make the argument that we should wait to renegotiate his contract until the rest of the trade peramiters are in place, but that would mean trading him this year. The only way to have him this year and trade him in the future is to renegotiate now.

Luz
again, imo, carl is doing the right thing...

chiefs4me
02-19-2006, 06:38 PM
AMEN TO THAT BRUTHA!

:D

Logical
02-19-2006, 07:33 PM
OK listen...WHATEVER!!!

ROFL yes we are so far apart. I said that at most we should resign him for two more years, he has one year left on his contract that makes three years vs your 4 years.

Chiefnj
02-19-2006, 08:39 PM
Let's look at the Patrick Surtan trade (Dolphins to Chiefs). The trade couldn't happen because he only had one year left on his contract. No team is going to shell out big compensation (draft picks) when they'll only have the player for one year.

You could make the argument that we should wait to renegotiate his contract until the rest of the trade peramiters are in place, but that would mean trading him this year. The only way to have him this year and trade him in the future is to renegotiate now.

Luz

The trade with Surtain happened BECAUSE he had one year left. Miami wasn't going to keep him, they were set on trading him. The best way to do it is to let the interested team negotiate the contract with the player. This way the trading team isn't stuck with any bonus money and the team getting the player has a contract that they want and approve of.

If you want to trade him, this is the year to do it. Put out fliers and take offers. His value is only going to decrease because of his age and wear and tear.

Luzap
02-19-2006, 11:42 PM
The trade with Surtain happened BECAUSE he had one year left. Miami wasn't going to keep him, they were set on trading him. The best way to do it is to let the interested team negotiate the contract with the player. This way the trading team isn't stuck with any bonus money and the team getting the player has a contract that they want and approve of.

If you want to trade him, this is the year to do it. Put out fliers and take offers. His value is only going to decrease because of his age and wear and tear.

You miss my point...

I don't want to trade him this year ~ we've got a chance to make a run.

Granted, the number of years left to get value for him are running out, but we could still have that option 2 or 3 years from now only if we renegotiate his contract now.

We're really saying the same thing about a trade being made when the player still has a year left - if he wants to be traded. The type of contract Carl can sign him to will have a lot to do with whether he is tradable ~ whether he has one year, or three years left on it.

Luz
keep tony while we're still in position to make a run ~ then see what our options are...

NJ Chief Fan
02-19-2006, 11:51 PM
ya know what im down with trading T-Goat...are we all forgetting about our seceret weapon kris wilson ROFL ROFL ROFL

:)

Hootie
02-20-2006, 12:02 AM

Luz
Uhm, did you read my post? The team trading for Surtain reworked his contract before he was even traded. That's what you do. This isn't the NBA.

Logical
02-20-2006, 03:36 PM
You miss my point...

I don't want to trade him this year ~ we've got a chance to make a run.

Granted, the number of years left to get value for him are running out, but we could still have that option 2 or 3 years from now only if we renegotiate his contract now.

We're really saying the same thing about a trade being made when the player still has a year left - if he wants to be traded. The type of contract Carl can sign him to will have a lot to do with whether he is tradable ~ whether he has one year, or three years left on it.

Luz
keep tony while we're still in position to make a run ~ then see what our options are...

I don't think our defense is even close to allowing us to make a Super Bowl run and this is the skip a year for free agency year. On the other side TG is not worth anything anymore as far as a trade goes, so trading him does not make sense either. Just don't give him more than two years beyond the 1 year he has remaining.

penchief
02-20-2006, 05:25 PM
I don't think our defense is even close to allowing us to make a Super Bowl run and this is the skip a year for free agency year. On the other side TG is not worth anything anymore as far as a trade goes, so trading him does not make sense either. Just don't give him more than two years beyond the 1 year he has remaining.

What is your opinion on which unit can make the quickest turnaround? The offense or the defense? My first impulse would be to say the offense because one or two impact players can make more of a difference. However, thinking about actual events it seems like defenses seem to experience the biggest improvements or drop-offs. Maybe I'm just imagining it but it seems like it's been that way to me.

Maybe because it has more to do with coaching, attitude, and teamwork and less to do with talent.

Logical
02-20-2006, 07:06 PM
What is your opinion on which unit can make the quickest turnaround? The offense or the defense? My first impulse would be to say the offense because one or two impact players can make more of a difference. However, thinking about actual events it seems like defenses seem to experience the biggest improvements or drop-offs. Maybe I'm just imagining it but it seems like it's been that way to me.

Maybe because it has more to do with coaching, attitude, and teamwork and less to do with talent.

I assume you are not talking about the current Chiefs but about an equally bad offense and defense. If so I would agree that a defense can be turned around faster than offense for the same reasons as you cited.