PDA

View Full Version : present day Olympians

bogie
02-20-2006, 03:29 PM
In the past I enjoyed the olympics because I felt the athletes were competing for the good ole U.S.of A. Win or lose I was proud of the athlete and if they lost I felt sorry for them because they trained for years for that moment of competition. It seems that many of the Olympians in these games are self-centered ass holes. I'm sorry to say that some of them I hoped they would lose. In professional sports, I don't care about the ego's because they are playing for a paycheck. In the Olympics the ego's should be checked at the door and the athletes need to compete with pride that they are representing America. Kids these days...

jspchief
02-20-2006, 03:34 PM
When the poster boy (Bode Miller) basically says he doesn't give a shit about winning, it makes it harder to get behind these athletes.

It appears many of the regular olympic athletes are going the way of USA basketball.

MOhillbilly
02-20-2006, 03:35 PM
cross country ski races a thriiilllliiiiiiinnnnggggggggg,.,..........Hello - commatard on the loose.Hello - commatard on the loose.Hello - commatard on the loose.Hello - commatard on the loose.Hello - commatard on the loose.

EDIT-WTF?

Bearcat
02-20-2006, 03:36 PM
When the poster boy (Bode Miller) basically says he doesn't give a shit about winning, it makes it harder to get behind these athletes.

It appears many of the regular olympic athletes are going the way of USA basketball.

Did he say that before or after going 0/4?

bogie
02-20-2006, 03:37 PM
I used to enjoy watching because I liked the athletes. I was proud of them. These winter Olympics have been a joke because I just don't care about the people.

bogie
02-20-2006, 03:41 PM

Bode Miller, what a d*ck! He's the poster boy for assholes.

morphius
02-20-2006, 03:43 PM
Yup, pisses me off when those damn curlers get all uppity.

jspchief
02-20-2006, 03:43 PM
Did he say that before or after going 0/4?Before.

I don't remember the exact quote, but in a TV interview he basically claimed he didn't care about medals or winning.

It's hard for me to be enthused for an athlete that's so apathetic.

chagrin
02-20-2006, 03:47 PM
It's already been stated by at least one planeteer, I don't know how old he is, but he actually supports the showboating of the athletes and doesn't think it makes a difference if they win or lose.

Okay, this just supports my belief in the decline of sports. Weak minded daisy pickers, raising snobby, "me me me" kids just doesn't bode well for our "future".

X games athletes doing nothing but posing for the camera are not going to help the USA out with regards to the Olympics.

My ex-wife, was an Olypian in training. She is a 3rd degree Black Belt in some sort of Tae Kwon Do (did I spell that right?) and she came from a rich family. She was down there in Colorado Springs, basically going door to door to raise support for her training. That's what those Athletes used to HAVE to do! she had already graduated form College at the U of Michigan and starred on their team. So when the Atlanta games came around, they were demonstrating their sport as a part of it, with the hopes of getting it made into a "medal sport". Her team, and almost everyone there, were so proud of representing the US even if not for a medal. The ones that WERE competing for a medal, were also just as proud.

10 short years later, these stuck up, spoiled little "x generation" shits (athletes, that is) don't care about anything but them f*cking selves.

The Olympics may not be all that "sexy" anymore, but at least most of the people that trained for years to make it gave a shit and actually TRIED!

Bearcat
02-20-2006, 03:48 PM
Before.

I don't remember the exact quote, but in a TV interview he basically claimed he didn't care about medals or winning.

It's hard for me to be enthused for an athlete that's so apathetic.

Huh... put$ a new per$pective on tho$e Nike commercial$.

bogie
02-20-2006, 03:49 PM
The black speed skater said in an interview that his gold was for him and his mom. Maybe he didn't mean to sound so selfish. I remember "the old days" in interviews they'd say things like "I'm so proud to be able to represent the greatest country in the world" Maybe they didn't really mean it, but I bought in to it and was proud to have them represent us.

Rooster
02-20-2006, 03:53 PM
In the past I enjoyed the olympics because I felt the athletes were competing for the good ole U.S.of A. Win or lose I was proud of the athlete and if they lost I felt sorry for them because they trained for years for that moment of competition. It seems that many of the Olympians in these games are self-centered ass holes. I'm sorry to say that some of them I hoped they would lose. In professional sports, I don't care about the ego's because they are playing for a paycheck. In the Olympics the ego's should be checked at the door and the athletes need to compete with pride that they are representing America. Kids these days...

I couldn't agree with you more. I remember as a kid the excitment and pride I felt with the Olympics. I don't know what the difference is now. Is it the 'selfish American athlete' or the way the media is handling it all? I don't have a definitive answer. I just know it is different now and I don't care for the change. I obvisouly will always pull for the good ol' USA but these guys make it hard sometimes. :(

Bearcat
02-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Have there ever been so many 'beautiful people'? Half the pictures of Sasha Cohen are modeling-type pictures... there's an article on nbcolympics.com about a skier who's also a model... and I know I've seen other bios & articles that show modeling-type me-me-me stuff. Maybe I just missed it during Salt Lake :shrug:

The black speed skater said in an interview that his gold was for him and his mom. Maybe he didn't mean to sound so selfish. I remember "the old days" in interviews they'd say things like "I'm so proud to be able to represent the greatest country in the world" Maybe they didn't really mean it, but I bought in to it and was proud to have them represent us.

He was kind of a dick.... even with the team/individual thing going on.

bogie
02-20-2006, 03:59 PM
Maybe they just suck so bad that I don't care. But if I they'd show some pride, I wouldn't care if they sucked so bad.

bogie
02-20-2006, 04:01 PM
Have there ever been so many 'beautiful people'? Half the pictures of Sasha Cohen are modeling-type pictures... there's an article on nbcolympics.com about a skier who's also a model... and I know I've seen other bios & articles that show modeling-type me-me-me stuff. Maybe I just missed it during Salt Lake :shrug:

He was kind of a dick.... even with the team/individual thing going on.

I heard he didn't even join in the opening ceremony. :shake:

Katipan
02-20-2006, 04:06 PM
I spent all morning watching a stupid webpage refresh to see where the hottest olympian we've ever sent out would place in ice dancing.

I don't think I even care if she's self centered.

jspchief
02-20-2006, 04:06 PM
The only guy that seems genuinely decent is that snowboarder Shaun White. He seems like a good kid

Rain Man
02-20-2006, 04:08 PM
Face it. Nobody likes snowboarders. You can take Gandhi and put him on a snowboard, and he'll become an arrogant jerk.

bogie
02-20-2006, 04:25 PM
The only guy that seems genuinely decent is that snowboarder Shaun White. He seems like a good kid

I agree.

bogie
02-20-2006, 04:27 PM
Face it. Nobody likes snowboarders. You can take Gandhi and put him on a snowboard, and he'll become an arrogant jerk.

except the white tomato.

Bearcat
02-20-2006, 04:45 PM
I don't think I even care if she's self centered.

Yeah.. sometimes it's okay to pretend they're perfect people, too.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/2006/02/08/gallery.olympicportraits/cohen.jpg

Mecca
02-20-2006, 05:17 PM

The reason that guy comes off as a dick is because all of the other speed skaters treated him like shit when he was there 4 years ago. They never invited him to do anything and basically outcasted him. Also I can't exactly fault a guy for not competing in that team competition when it was a day before his event that he had trained for.

bogie
02-20-2006, 06:03 PM
The reason that guy comes off as a dick is because all of the other speed skaters treated him like shit when he was there 4 years ago. They never invited him to do anything and basically outcasted him. Also I can't exactly fault a guy for not competing in that team competition when it was a day before his event that he had trained for.

I'm sure there are stories behind the stories. I even understand him not competing in the team event. Maybe the media in the past tried to find the feel good stories more than they do these days. I admit, I'm a sucker for the feel good stories.