PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR: Chargers' deal not good enough for Brees

phxchief
02-20-2006, 03:57 PM
I am hearing that the offer SD offered Brees isn't good enough and that he will explore FA, meaning he's more-than-likely gone considering the QB-needy teams.

Nothing much to back it up just yet but bare with it.

JBucc
02-20-2006, 03:59 PM
If his shoulder wasn't messed up and if he didn't cost a trillion dollars I wouldn't mind going after him. But it is and he does so **** him.

phxchief
02-20-2006, 04:02 PM
Apparently they're playing hardball, expecting Brees to test the market, and if he WANTS to be a Charger, take the offer presented, and AJ is supposed to meet with media today.

Buddy said it's probably on SD forums.

jspchief
02-20-2006, 04:04 PM
This should be a beautiful disaster for all parties involved.

The 6 Charger fans in the world aren't going to like how this plays out.

Mile High Mania
02-20-2006, 04:08 PM
This should be a beautiful disaster for all parties involved.

The 6 Charger fans in the world aren't going to like how this plays out.

Back it up, hotshot... I challenge you to find 6 Chargers' fans. ROFL

Mr. Laz
02-20-2006, 04:08 PM
he just playing hardball ... san diego with tag him and things will go through that nature tag process(messy)

Brees has the added leverage of phillip rivers ... the chargers prolly want to trade rivers. But they can't until they know what the contract and health situation is.

phxchief
02-20-2006, 04:13 PM
he just playing hardball ...

Other way around it looks like.

san diego with tag him and things will go through that nature tag process(messy)

I'd have said this weeks ago. Not now. We should all know what AJ is like.

Brees has the added leverage of phillip rivers ...

Having a first-round QB, #4 overall pick behind you isn't leverage when you're trying to get a better deal from the GENERAL MANAGER (you know, the guy who picked Rivers #1 overall, technically).

phxchief
02-20-2006, 04:15 PM
Yep, seems legit.

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=28781

I can't be bothered to watch the PC.

foxman
02-20-2006, 04:17 PM
A guy I work with is an NC State grad and a huge Rivers fan. He said he looked and the Bolts are in great shape with Rivers contract being very cap friendly and while they might like to get something for him he isnt costing a lot to ride the pine. Sort of screws Rivers chances of being traded in a sense because a quality backup would likely cost as much as Rivers would anyway. If anything this probably gives Sandyeggo more of a hardline stance. If Brees walks then they start Rivers who they seem to have a lot of confidence in.

phxchief
02-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Rivers' deal is "cap friendly"? Well, he got paid a ton iirc because of all the #1 pick dispute crap, and so it's either structured in such a way that he's paid later, or involves a lot of incentives he won't reach by being on the bench.

I can't imagine it's very cap friendly regardless. Top picked QBs rarely have nice deals.

Mr. Laz
02-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Other way around it looks like.
both i'm sure
[quote]I'd have said this weeks ago. Not now. We should all know what AJ is like.
i don't think much has changed ... san diego is concerned about bree's injury. Brees knows the san diego will be taking a big risk by switching to Rivers now. He also knows that san diego will get a better price during the draft... and this gives him leverage.
Having a first-round QB, #4 overall pick behind you isn't leverage when you're trying to get a better deal from the GENERAL MANAGER (you know, the guy who picked Rivers #1 overall, technically).
sure it is ... when the team doesn't really know how good that young backup is.

Brees is a young proven starter ... Rivers ain't jack(yet)

switching to rivers will be a huge risk ........ huge. It's borderline insanity right now to dump brees and go to Rivers unless the injury for Brees is career threatening.

having that big contract chewing up space for Rivers is added pressure. The chargers want to sign Brees/trade rivers and this injury and contract screws with that timing.

phxchief
02-20-2006, 04:31 PM
What you're saying makes sense to you and I, the fans, Laz, but look at it from AJ's p.o.v.

He drafted a kid #1/#4 and has had him riding pine for 2 years. He thinks the defense/offensive weapons are great regardless of QB.

You talk about pressure. Pressure is having a kid like Rivers on the bench for THREE years in a row (and then the possibility of him riding pine after that). Signing Brees to a huge deal essentially gives AJ yet another high draft bust to his name.

Think he wants that?

Mr. Laz
02-20-2006, 04:40 PM
What you're saying makes sense to you and I, the fans, Laz, but look at it from AJ's p.o.v.

He drafted a kid #1/#4 and has had him riding pine for 2 years. He thinks the defense/offensive weapons are great regardless of QB.

You talk about pressure. Pressure is having a kid like Rivers on the bench for THREE years in a row (and then the possibility of him riding pine after that). Signing Brees to a huge deal essentially gives AJ yet another high draft bust to his name.

Think he wants that?
no .. but the facts are that brees was a high draft pick too AND he has already proven he can start at this level.

what happens if AJ makes the change and then Phillips fails ... or even if he just struggles for a few years. Every year phillip struggles wastes the production of Tomlinson and Gates.

suicide to make the change now imo

sign brees/trade Rivers ...... move on

azkcfan
02-20-2006, 04:40 PM
They are concerned with brees injury, he was only kept on to mentor young rivers anyway. now is the time for brees to leave when he can and will get bigger offers then he would have if he was sat down in favor of rivers

phxchief
02-20-2006, 04:41 PM
You are still addressing me like i'm defending the move. I'm not. I'm saying WHY he did it and why it doesn't surprise me.

Do I agree with what you're saying? Yes. Am I glad the Chargers are approaching it differently to the way we all thought they would? Abso-fricken-lutely.

Mr. Laz
02-20-2006, 04:41 PM
They are concerned with brees injury, he was only kept on to mentor young rivers anyway. now is the time for brees to leave when he can and will get bigger offers then he would have if he was sat down in favor of rivers
that is just crazy

brees is young and successful ... he isn't a mentor, he's a starter

Mr. Laz
02-20-2006, 04:42 PM
You are still addressing me like i'm defending the move. I'm not. I'm saying WHY he did it and why it doesn't surprise me.

Do I agree with what you're saying? Yes. Am I glad the Chargers are approaching it differently to the way we all thought they would? Abso-fricken-lutely.
heh ... ROFL

i guess i just don't see how AJ could do what your saying and still keep his job.

phxchief
02-20-2006, 04:47 PM
i guess i just don't see how AJ could do what your saying and still keep his job.

Andddddddddd THAT was what I was getting at.

The madness that is AJ Smith.

It's why fans over at chargers.com are so pissed.

brent102fire
02-20-2006, 04:48 PM

Jets | B. Schottenheimer hired as offensive coordinator
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 14:38:22 -0800

The New York Jets have announced the team has hired Brian Schottenheimer as the offensive coordinator.

:hmmm: Brees is going to end up being a NY Jet...Stay Tuned!

HolmeZz
02-20-2006, 04:55 PM
I'd love to see Brees walk. The Chargers offense won't be as scary with Rivers.

morphius
02-20-2006, 05:12 PM
Brees to the Raiders maybe? Seems very much like a Al move.

Mr. Laz
02-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Brees to the Raiders maybe? Seems very much like a Al move.

i doubt marty would let that happen

phxchief
02-21-2006, 12:16 PM
Chargers | Smith optimistic about Rivers
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 20:08:34 -0800

The Associated Press reports San Diego Chargers general manager A.J. Smith is cautiously optimistic QB Philip Rivers can handle the starting quarterback role if QB Drew Brees heads elsewhere. Smith said, "I really like Philip Rivers very much, except he has never played in the National Football League, except to dabble in it and that is always a concern for all of us. Anytime a collegiate player enters the National Football League, it starts all over again. There are first-round busts and seventh-rounders that go to (the Pro Bowl) every year." Between Rivers and QB A.J. Feeley, the team is confident they have enough depth to reach the playoffs without Brees.

Chargers | Brees getting closer to being a free agent
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 16:45:57 -0800

The Associated Press reports San Diego Chargers QB Drew Brees is drawing closer to becoming an unrestricted free agent. San Diego general manager A. J. Smith said Monday, Feb. 20, the team has declined to designate Brees as its franchise or transition player. Brees and the Chargers are talking about a multi-year pact, but so far, no agreement has been reached and as of March 3, Brees can negotiate with any team. "Our proposals have not been acceptable at this point and time, but we will continue to talk," Smith said. "Drew Brees wants to be here, we want him to be here. Drew wants a long-term contract; we want him to have a long-term contract. We are working on that and continue to work on it." San Diego's initial proposal for a long-term deal was shot down by Brees and his representative, Tom Condon. Smith said a deal could still be struck, but only if the other party accepts the club's value it has placed on Brees. The sticking point appears to be the guaranteed money in the pact's first year, with the remainder of the compensation being tied to incentives reached by Brees, if his shoulder is right. Smith said once Brees hits the open market, if he does, the price the Chargers are willing to pay will not fluctuate.

morphius
02-21-2006, 12:16 PM
i doubt marty would let that happen
If he is a FA, Marty can't really stop him.

Mecca
02-21-2006, 12:18 PM
The Dolphins look like a logical fit for Drew Brees to me.

phxchief
02-21-2006, 12:28 PM
http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/SD/9251811

Bob Dole
02-21-2006, 01:10 PM
The Dolphins look like a logical fit for Drew Brees to me.

Why? Are they in the market for a QB who can't lift his throwing arm?

cdcox
02-21-2006, 01:18 PM
I don't know anything about Brees injury. Signing him to a big contract before its extent is known is risky. To me, San Diego has adjusted their bargaining position based on the knowledge of Brees injury, but Brees is acting like the injury never happened. I'm guessing most teams won't try to sign Brees to a huge contract until he proves his shoulder is fine. I'm thinking that if Brees wants a huge deal, he will have to sign a deal with a relatively low SB and first year salary, and pick up the big bucks through a roster bonus at the end of the season. Brees has the choise of going for high $ with some risk, or med $ with no risk. High $, no risk is no longer an option for him.

sedated
02-21-2006, 01:38 PM
hmmm...pay big money to a proven starter with a severely injured shoulder

-OR-

let the #4 overall pick from 3 years ago finally earn his contract.

looks like a no-brainer. And a win-win situation for Chiefs fans.

They'll either have a loss in production or loss of money, or both. :)

htismaqe
02-21-2006, 01:46 PM
hmmm...pay big money to a proven starter with a severely injured shoulder

-OR-

let the #4 overall pick from 3 years ago finally earn his contract.

looks like a no-brainer. And a win-win situation for Chiefs fans.

They'll either have a loss in production or loss of money, or both. :)

That's how I see it too.

ck_IN
02-21-2006, 02:55 PM
In the long run this could big a benefit for SD.

Brees is an adequate QB but he's limited. Rivers has much greater upside. He'll take some bumps his first year or so but if he catches onto the NFL game he should be a much better QB then Brees.

Brees needs to find a team with a west coast offense. That would limit the exposure of his small arm and emphasize accuracy. His weakness and strength respectively.

htismaqe
02-21-2006, 03:17 PM
In the long run this could big a benefit for SD.

Brees is an adequate QB but he's limited. Rivers has much greater upside. He'll take some bumps his first year or so but if he catches onto the NFL game he should be a much better QB then Brees.

Brees needs to find a team with a west coast offense. That would limit the exposure of his small arm and emphasize accuracy. His weakness and strength respectively.

You're absolutely correct.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) for the Chiefs, it's all about the short term.

And this is definitely not a good situation for SD in the short term.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-21-2006, 03:21 PM
what a strange QB carousel it could be. An injured Culpepper, Pennington & Brees. Then Kitna, Griese, Fiedler, Brooks

-& McNair

ck_IN
02-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Actually if Palmer can't come back Cinci might be a good fit for Brees. They'd lose the deep ball to Johnson they have now but I could see Brees hooking up with Johnson on crossing patterns, slants, and skinny posts. With Rudi running it would be pretty good. Kitna isn't the answer.

ck_IN
02-21-2006, 03:37 PM
<i>Fortunately (or unfortunately) for the Chiefs, it's all about the short term.</i>

So true. DV stroked his ego by building an offensive machine. Too bad he left us with a retirement home upon leaving. The window is closed for the Chiefs after this year or maybe next.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-21-2006, 03:40 PM
Brees could go to the Lions