PDA

View Full Version : I love my TiVo!!

Kylo Ren
02-20-2006, 04:15 PM
I have an 80 hr. Humax TiVo with DVD burner.
Last night I:
1.) recorded a program
2.) watched a prerecorded program
3.) wirelessly transfered a program from my other TiVo
4.) burned a prerecorded program to a DVD
.........all at the same time!!!

TiVo is a great invention. Here are a couple of things that I wish they would do to improve TiVo.
1.) ability to record one channel and watch another channel
2.) ability to record more than one program at a time

What about your TiVo? What realistic improvements to TiVo would you like to see?

Eleazar
02-20-2006, 04:20 PM
You can do both of those things with newer units I think.

Skip Towne
02-20-2006, 04:21 PM
Directv's R-15 DVR will do both of those things. And they are free after rebate.

The Rick
02-20-2006, 04:21 PM
Recording one channel while watching another (or recording two channel's at the same time) can already be done in the DirecTV Tivo unit and can be done in many non-Tivo DVRs. I don't know why they haven't implemented this already.

The Bad Guy
02-20-2006, 04:25 PM
Directv's R-15 DVR will do both of those things. And they are free after rebate.

Their shitty DVR's can't do all that. They have zero networking. They have dual tuners built in, but you can't use them.

That DVR is the worst.

Mile High Mania
02-20-2006, 04:27 PM
How to you stop TIVO from recording bullshit that they call "Tivo Suggestions". Good lord - it records Matlock for crying out loud.

The Bad Guy
02-20-2006, 04:29 PM
How to you stop TIVO from recording bullshit that they call "Tivo Suggestions". Good lord - it records Matlock for crying out loud.

On a DirecTivo?

Go to messages and setup, settings, tivo suggestions.

Mr. Laz
02-20-2006, 04:29 PM

message and setup > settings > suggestions > check "don't record suggested programming"

Mr. Laz
02-20-2006, 04:30 PM
On a DirecTivo?

Go to messages and setup, settings, tivo suggestions.

------ smarter
donk fan < Tivo

ROFL

Mr. Laz
02-20-2006, 04:37 PM
TiVo is a great invention. Here are a couple of things that I wish they would do to improve TiVo.
1.) ability to record one channel and watch another channel
2.) ability to record more than one program at a time

What about your TiVo? What realistic improvements to TiVo would you like to see?
my directivo has 2 recorders

i can record 2 channels and watch a previously recorded program at the same time.

1. what i would like to see them do is something allows you to "que" program transfers to tape.

right now you have to come back in a hour and go through and find the end place and then start the new program to video tape.

it would be nice if you could select 4 hours(tape full) worth of shows and then just have them all transfer to tape one right after another.

2. i would also like them to intregrate the internet and the show programming guide.

you check the description of a show and it list the actors ... then you could "select" the name of the actor and show you his bio etc.

they could arrange a deal IMDB online.

Bearcat
02-20-2006, 04:40 PM
I just bought an LG with a 160 gb harddrive... dvd recorder, networking... and it has a free microsoft service for tv listings, recording series, and searching for shows. It won't record two shows at once, but I don't watch much tv anyway. I bought it since my vcr was crapping out, and it was just in time for the winter Olympics. :)

Skip Towne
02-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Their shitty DVR's can't do all that. They have zero networking. They have dual tuners built in, but you can't use them.

That DVR is the worst.
What do you mean you can't use them?

Mr. Laz
02-20-2006, 04:45 PM
I just bought an LG with a 160 gb harddrive... dvd recorder, networking... and it has a free microsoft service for tv listings, recording series, and searching for shows.

stuff like this is gonna put tivo outa business

jidar
02-20-2006, 04:46 PM
MythTV can do all of that and more.
In fact you can record multiple different sources at once while watching multiple different recordings which you are streaming to set top units in your home.

Unfortunately you have to be pretty technically inclined to use MythTV, moreso to do the better stuff... that or know a Linux guy.

Bearcat
02-20-2006, 04:48 PM
stuff like this is gonna put tivo outa business

I thought it was stupid as hell that I would have to pay for a year of Tivo to get the rebate that was *shock* roughly equal to a year of Tivo, when I could get the same rebate with free service, and a bigger hd.

jidar
02-20-2006, 04:48 PM
Laz, that .gif of Elisha Cuthbert crawling to me is costing me all kinds of lost productivity here at work. Good show.

jidar
02-20-2006, 04:49 PM
I just bought an LG with a 160 gb harddrive... dvd recorder, networking... and it has a free microsoft service for tv listings, recording series, and searching for shows. It won't record two shows at once, but I don't watch much tv anyway. I bought it since my vcr was crapping out, and it was just in time for the winter Olympics. :)

It's just a Generic LG brand DVR? Do you recall the model or anything?

Bearcat
02-20-2006, 04:53 PM
It's just a Generic LG brand DVR? Do you recall the model or anything?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7384289&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03021&id=1122654250432

The Bad Guy
02-20-2006, 04:57 PM
What do you mean you can't use them?

You can record 2 things at once, but you can't buffer two programs at once.

They haven't activated dual tuners yet.

Skip Towne
02-20-2006, 05:02 PM

What does buffer mean? What do you mean they haven't activated dual tuners yet? I don't know anything about them but we install a lot of them.

kepp
02-20-2006, 05:17 PM

Do you mean time shift two channels at once? It won't explicitly do it, but I think I've have "approximated" it before. Try pausing on one channel and then switching to another and then coming back. It should still be paused and you can proceed. But I do agree that actual dual time shifting would be nice.

As for not having both tuners working - you wouldn't be able to record two different shows at the same time if they weren't both working.

The Bad Guy
02-20-2006, 05:23 PM
Do you mean time shift two channels at once? It won't explicitly do it, but I think I've have "approximated" it before. Try pausing on one channel and then switching to another and then coming back. It should still be paused and you can proceed. But I do agree that actual dual time shifting would be nice.

As for not having both tuners working - you wouldn't be able to record two different shows at the same time if they weren't both working.

Yes, that's what I meant.

I flip back and forth a lot between buffers and to leave this feature out is a joke.

Mr. Laz
02-20-2006, 05:30 PM

I flip back and forth a lot between buffers and to leave this feature out is a joke.
i love that feature ... i watch 2 programs at once all the time.

i got duel tuner with about a 30 minute buffer on each. With all the commercial shows have you can buffer while you fast forward through to the commercials on the other channel and stay current on both.

good football features

Skip Towne
02-20-2006, 05:31 PM

So you CAN record two programs at once? Or record one show and watch another? That is what they are supposed to do. When I activate them they show two signal meters with signal. And they require two coaxes fom the dish.

Kylo Ren
02-20-2006, 10:35 PM
Directv's R-15 DVR will do both of those things. And they are free after rebate. I have Time Warner cable. Therefore my TiVo unit is a stand alone unit, not a DirectTV combo unit.

Kylo Ren
02-20-2006, 10:36 PM
How to you stop TIVO from recording bullshit that they call "Tivo Suggestions". Good lord - it records Matlock for crying out loud. Go to settings. You can shut it off. You must be a rookie.

Kylo Ren
02-20-2006, 10:38 PM
my directivo has 2 recorders

i can record 2 channels and watch a previously recorded program at the same time.

1. what i would like to see them do is something allows you to "que" program transfers to tape.

right now you have to come back in a hour and go through and find the end place and then start the new program to video tape.

it would be nice if you could select 4 hours(tape full) worth of shows and then just have them all transfer to tape one right after another.

2. i would also like them to intregrate the internet and the show programming guide.

you check the description of a show and it list the actors ... then you could "select" the name of the actor and show you his bio etc.

they could arrange a deal IMDB online. You're recording from TiVo to tape? Why? Why not burn a DVD?

Ultra Peanut
02-20-2006, 10:53 PM
Directv's R-15 DVR will do both of those things. And they are free after rebate.DirecTV DVRs suck enormously in comparison with the DirecTiVos.

Unless you prefer your DVR to randomly decide not to record some programs for no apparent reason, and just be really rough and unpolished in general...

There's no way I'd ever trade a DirecTiVo for a DirecTV DVR, and if some sort of shift is ever forced on TiVo users, I'll probably switch to Dish out of spite.

Mr. Laz
02-20-2006, 10:58 PM
DirecTV DVRs suck enormously in comparison with the DirecTiVos.

Unless you prefer your DVR to randomly decide not to record some programs for no apparent reason, and just be really rough and unpolished in general...

There's no way I'd ever trade a DirecTiVo for a DirecTV DVR, and if some sort of shift is ever forced on TiVo users, I'll probably switch to Dish out of spite.

directv is dropping tivo

Mr. Laz
02-20-2006, 10:59 PM
You're recording from TiVo to tape? Why? Why not burn a DVD?
cause i'm a backward hillbilly and don't have DVD burners

i still used VCR and tapes

HMc
02-20-2006, 11:00 PM
The only DVR that works with our sole cable provider is the one that they sell you (in fact they rent it to you). There's no way of getting the video of the unit short of playing it back and recording it from the analog outputs.

I think it's 60 gig, twin tuner. Record two at once and playback another etc.

The fact that you can't take a recording elsewhere means that i just have a DVD recorder and a second set top unit instead. This works out at a little more per month but i've got 2 independant boxs, which obviously has other benefits.

Ultra Peanut
02-20-2006, 11:16 PM
directv is dropping tivoThe DirecTiVos still work, though.