PDA

View Full Version : Gretz sends Priest a message from Carl...

shaneo69
02-21-2006, 10:25 AM
GRETZ: Bus' Decision Pays Off
Feb 17, 2006, 8:17:36 AM by Bob Gretz

This is another story about Jerome Bettis, the “Bus.”

I know, I know, you’ve probably overdosed a bit on the stories involving Bettis, the Super Bowl, Detroit and the Steelers championship. That was the ending of the Bus’ ride. This is about why Bettis was still wearing the black and gold and why he was able to walk off with the Lombardi Trophy.

It’s a story that is being played out around the NFL right now, in almost all of the 32 outposts where the front office is massaging the numbers and trying to get their team prepared for the 2006 salary cap.

Some players are asked to restructure their contracts, moving monies due in base salary into various bonuses that can lessen the cap hit for the coming season. Others are asked to take pay cuts to continue careers with their current team. Usually these are veteran players, guys who are at the end of their time in the NFL; they are still able to contribute, but not at the level and price they’ve become accustomed to in previous seasons. To help their team’s cap situation, they are asked to take a cut in compensation, freeing up more cap room.

It happens every year and it’s going on right now. At Arrowhead Stadium, Carl Peterson and Denny Thum are working their payroll to not only get under the cap figure for the coming season, but also create enough room that the Chiefs can go out and pick up some talent to improve their roster. It’s an annual chore.

Players react differently when asked to take a pay cut. Some are outraged, offended and unable to deal with the situation. Generally what happens in these cases is the player is released. This allows him to find another team to play for, usually for a financial number that’s less than what his old team offered him in a cut. But, his pride is preserved.

Other players look at the situation, evaluate their place with the team, in the league and within the community, and take the cut.

That’s where Bettis comes in. Let’s go back to the months leading into the 2004 season. In Pittsburgh, the Steelers were coming off a 6-10 record in 2003, where Bettis had his second straight sub-1,000-yard season with 811 rushing yards. Tommy Maddox was the quarterback and the offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey had just been hired away to become the head coach of the Buffalo Bills.

The Steelers were in a major offensive transition. They used their first round draft choice that year to select quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. In unrestricted free agency, they did something very un-Steelers like: they spent money, signing running back Duce Staley.

The era of the Bus appeared to be over. He still had three years left of his contract at $3,617,000 (2004), $4,484,000 (2005) and $5,351,000 (2006). Like most big NFL contracts, these numbers were negotiated with little chance of them being paid, something both the team and the player understand. Generally the player retires, is released before those huge base salary seasons come around, or there is a restructured deal.

The Steelers did not give Bettis the restructuring option. He was then 32 years old and football history has shown us that running backs seldom remain effective after the age of 30, especially big, bruising backs like Bettis. Pittsburgh gave him two choices: take a pay cut or be released.

At the time, Bettis admitted his pride was hurt. But he overcame that and made his decision with his brain. He accepted the Steelers offer of a base salary of $900,000, with a workout bonus of $100,000 and various incentive bonuses based on his production.

He took a pay cut from $3.6 million to $1 million.

And, then in the 2004 season, the Steelers went 15-1, Roethlisberger became a sensation, but still the Steelers could not reach the Super Bowl, losing the AFC Championship Game at home to New England.

Bettis again had to make the same sort of decision in 2005. This time he received a total package of $1.5 million ($200,000 in a signing bonus, a $100,000 workout bonus and $1.2 million in salary.) This was down from the nearly $4.5 million that was in his original contract.

The Steelers made the playoffs as the sixth seed and then made their run to the championship. Bettis not only got in another season where he was effective as a bit player, but he walked away with a Super Bowl ring.

Every player’s situation is different. Sometimes they are better off moving on to another team, or ending their career. But sometimes, they need to consider a decision like the one Jerome Bettis made.

It can pay off. (Are you listening, Priest?)

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/02/17/gretz_bus_decision_pays_off/

MOhillbilly
02-21-2006, 10:31 AM
bettis got glory carries only and damn near blew it in the AFC ch. game. id rather see PH cut and a FA RB than pay Priest "i wanna get paid" holmes what he thinks hes worth!

pikesome
02-21-2006, 10:34 AM
bettis got glory carries only and damn near blew it in the AFC ch. game. id rather see PH cut and a FA RB than pay Priest "i wanna get paid" holmes what he thinks hes worth!

That's why the Chiefs shouldn't/won't pay him what he wants. I think it will come down to convincing him to be a part of the team. If he doesn't buy in to that, I bet his injury is career-ending.

Hammock Parties
02-21-2006, 10:39 AM
I don't think Priest has the desire to win a Super Bowl in Kansas City as a backup.

He already did that in Baltimore.

Deberg_1990
02-21-2006, 10:41 AM
One small detail you missed Gretz......Priest already has a Super Bowl ring.....Bettis did not.

pikesome
02-21-2006, 10:49 AM
Can I harp on it just one more time? Thanks, here it goes... It will come down to whether or not Holmes can get his money. If it looks like CP will get some of his bonus back because he really could play or if it doesn't even get that far, Holmes will most likely be back. If Holmes can use his injury to keep what he has and retire, well it's nacho time. It might still be nacho time if the Chiefs get some bonus money back, just depends on how much.

The Bad Guy
02-21-2006, 11:01 AM
Priest cares about one thing and that's Priest.

Bettis cared about the team. Christ, I'll never forget Hines Ward crying on television in 2005 because it seemed like Bettis wouldn't get a ring.

Priest said on satellite radio last year that he wouldn't restructure to bring in defensive FAs. He said he "earned" his money and wasn't going to give it back.

Well, he wouldn't be giving anything back, but Priest showed me all he was about in that quote.

I hope he leaves. It would be a luxury to have two-backs, but with the fragile ego of LJ, finding a cheap backup might be the easier thing to do and just cut Priest.

Mr. Laz
02-21-2006, 11:07 AM
Can I harp on it just one more time? Thanks, here it goes... It will come down to whether or not Holmes can get his money. If it looks like CP will get some of his bonus back because he really could play or if it doesn't even get that far, Holmes will most likely be back. If Holmes can use his injury to keep what he has and retire, well it's nacho time. It might still be nacho time if the Chiefs get some bonus money back, just depends on how much.
it's true ... imo

if priest can retire without having to pay any money back .... he's gone.

we should of never given him the last big contract AND drafted a 1st round RB in the same year anyway.

just asking for problems.

we need to be thinking seriously about whether Tony G should get another big contract as well.

ct
02-21-2006, 11:28 AM
it's true ... imo

if priest can retire without having to pay any money back .... he's gone.

we should of never given him the last big contract AND drafted a 1st round RB in the same year anyway.

just asking for problems.

we need to be thinking seriously about whether Tony G should get another big contract as well.

I agree, Priest will be gone if he can get away with what he's already been paid. Honestly, if he has 1 Dr. who says this is what he should do, then if I were him, I'd do just that. And CP won't be able to stop him.

Yet still I hope he has the desire and health to return. If so, then Gretz has painted exactly the picture he'll face.

TonyG should not get another big contract, but certainly still deserves a nice contract. He's a future HoF'er, a career long Chief (so far), and still very productive. Maybe $6-8M bonus over 5 years would be acceptable, but not near the 2x-digit of last time.

htismaqe
02-21-2006, 11:29 AM
Priest and Bettis have nothing in common.

Bettis readily accepted a paycut AND a backup role.

Priest has already said he'll accept neither.

unlurking
02-21-2006, 11:35 AM
Out of curiosity, if a player's career is ended by injury, is there any sort of accomdation/relief in the cap numbers? Would be nice if he couldn't be convinced to take a lower paid backup role, to let him go and wipe his cap number from the board.

ChiTown
02-21-2006, 11:37 AM
Priest and Bettis have nothing in common.

Bettis readily accepted a paycut AND a backup role.

Priest has already said he'll accept neither.

If that's the case, then he shouldn't waste any time packing his shit and hitting the bricks. Thanks for your service, but this is the NFL. We've adequately thanked (in praise and money) Priest Holmes for his services. It sounds like it's time to move on.

Phobia
02-21-2006, 11:42 AM
Out of curiosity, if a player's career is ended by injury, is there any sort of accomdation/relief in the cap numbers? Would be nice if he couldn't be convinced to take a lower paid backup role, to let him go and wipe his cap number from the board.

Only what you've built in through incentives.

jspchief
02-21-2006, 11:43 AM
I hope Priest returns, for several reasons.
First, it would make for a killer RB tandem. Holmes is an ideal 3rd down back. Second, he has done a lot for the Chiefs, and I'd like to see him finish his career here on a good note.

I don't think he'll take a paycut. He's not Jerome Bettis in that aspect. But I'd still like to get one more good year out of one the best RBs in Chiefs history.

Nobody was complaining about his attitude or payday when he was breaking the TD record.

Mecca
02-21-2006, 11:46 AM
I wonder if anyone will show up and tell us what assholes we are for pushing Priest out the door after all he did for our team.

I seem to remember being told that when I said LJ should be starting before Holmes got hurt.......

Lzen
02-21-2006, 11:47 AM
The only way Priest will leave is by his own accord. The Chiefs can't cut him because it will cost them more this season than to just have him on the payroll. I love Priest Holmes and everything he has done for the Chiefs. But I hope, for the sake of the team, that he takes a paycut or just simply retires.

pikesome
02-21-2006, 11:47 AM
I hope Priest returns, for several reasons.
First, it would make for a killer RB tandem. Holmes is an ideal 3rd down back. Second, he has done a lot for the Chiefs, and I'd like to see him finish his career here on a good note.

I don't think he'll take a paycut. He's not Jerome Bettis in that aspect. But I'd still like to get one more good year out of one the best RBs in Chiefs history.

Nobody was complaining about his attitude or payday when he was breaking the TD record.

I'm not really complaining, he has a valid point about not giving up money or PT. The problem is that few people like to see it, especially on marquee players. I just think a little realism concerning what is likely to happen is important.

|Zach|
02-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Not true.

jspchief
02-21-2006, 11:51 AM
Not true.Yeah. Someone is always complaining.

But still, so far, the worst thing Holmes has done is ask to be paid what he's worth, and not been the most friendly guy. He's really not much different than Tony Gonzalez in that aspect.

Mecca
02-21-2006, 11:55 AM
Yeah. Someone is always complaining.

But still, so far, the worst thing Holmes has done is ask to be paid what he's worth, and not been the most friendly guy. He's really not much different than Tony Gonzalez in that aspect.

I don't have a problem with his attitude in those aspects. I have a problem if he doesn't understand that when you're getting old for your position, finished 3 out of the last 4 years on IR and then add to that there's a guy on your own team better than you.

I just consider that not facing reality, when he was the best he wanted paid, now he's not the best on his own team. So he should take some time to realize he can't be paid that anymore.

pikesome
02-21-2006, 12:01 PM
I don't have a problem with his attitude in those aspects. I have a problem if he doesn't understand that when you're getting old for your position, finished 3 out of the last 4 years on IR and then add to that there's a guy on your own team better than you.

I just consider that not facing reality, when he was the best he wanted paid, now he's not the best on his own team. So he should take some time to realize he can't be paid that anymore.

I've got to agree with all this, I don't want to hear how the Chiefs are/will screw Holmes. Their relationship has been profitable for both sides, it time to move on.

jspchief
02-21-2006, 12:02 PM

I just consider that not facing reality, when he was the best he wanted paid, now he's not the best on his own team. So he should take some time to realize he can't be paid that anymore.He spent his entire career, not getting chances. He finally did, and wanted the paycheck to come with his success. Now he wants to keep the money that he feels like he should have been earning the first 6 years of his career including his first two years in KC.

The reality is, the average NFL player is a lot closer to Priest Holmes than Jerome Bettis in that aspect. Is he greedy? Yea, but they all are.

I hope he restructures. I hope he plays one or two more years as a valuable part of our team. And I hope he can retire as a Chief with the fans cheering him instead of him leaving the team in some ugly battle over money.

Mecca
02-21-2006, 12:04 PM
He spent his entire career, not getting chances. He finally did, and wanted the paycheck to come with his success. Now he wants to keep the money that he feels like he should have been earning the first 6 years of his career including his first two years in KC.

The reality is, the average NFL player is a lot closer to Priest Holmes than Jerome Bettis in that aspect. Is he greedy? Yea, but they all are.

I hope he restructures. I hope he plays one or two more years as a valuable part of our team. And I hope he can retire as a Chief with the fans cheering him instead of him leaving the team in some ugly battle over money.

I'll just say, you like to point out how we can't tie up to much money in corners. Well atleast 2-3 of them get on the field regulary, we in no way can tie up the amount of money that is allocated right now in RB.

Mr. Laz
02-21-2006, 12:04 PM
Nobody was complaining
Yeah. Someone is always complaining

jspchief
02-21-2006, 12:06 PM
I'll just say, you like to point out how we can't tie up to much money in corners. Well atleast 2-3 of them get on the field regulary, we in no way can tie up the amount of money that is allocated right now in RB.Good. Norw the read the part of my post that says I hope he restructures. I'm not advocating paying 5+ mil for a situational RB. I've said that numerous in the last few months.

Mecca
02-21-2006, 12:07 PM
Good. Norw the read the part of my post that says I hope he restructures. I'm not advocating paying 5+ mil for a situational RB. I've said that numerous in the last few months.

And knowing Holmes he's going to laugh when he's asked to restructure.

jspchief
02-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Great post Laz.

I said nobody was complaining. Zach said not true. I agreed with Zach. He corrected me.

Odd that a post about complaining would bring you into the fray though. :rolleyes:.

pikesome
02-21-2006, 12:09 PM
He spent his entire career, not getting chances. He finally did, and wanted the paycheck to come with his success. Now he wants to keep the money that he feels like he should have been earning the first 6 years of his career including his first two years in KC.

A couple of things here. KC doesn't owe him for his lack of pay earlier, they have taken care of him since he was a Chief and that is all they should do.

I wouldn't call most greedy, they just have an awareness of the fragile nature of their job and if they want to live like they have been, they've got to take steps. Most people would do the same, just not quite so publicly. Yes we are talking about millions but I understand the position.

I also wish that Priest goes out with some style, not after a nasty contract dispute. The only way this happens, I believe, is if CP and Holmes come to an understanding away from the press and the public. Then they could just announce it and be done.

jspchief
02-21-2006, 12:11 PM
And knowing Holmes he's going to laugh when he's asked to restructure.I agree. I've heard him specifically say last off-season in a radio interview that he would not.

Doesn't change the fact that I hope he does.

I'm not sure what's so wrong with wanting Holmes to end his career with KC on a good note. I enjoyed what he brought me as a fan for the years he was here. There are plenty of real bums on this team that I'll save my venom for.

Mecca
02-21-2006, 12:13 PM
I agree. I've heard him specifically say last off-season in a radio interview that he would not.

Doesn't change the fact that I hope he does.

I'm not sure what's so wrong with wanting Holmes to end his career with KC on a good note. I enjoyed what he brought me as a fan for the years he was here. There are plenty of real bums on this team that I'll save my venom for.

That's fine it would be nice if he'd come back, I just think there's a very low chance of it happening. The only real question of him coming back even with a paycut, is what will Larry Johnson think about it. I do think as long as Holmes is here LJ will be looking over his shoulder to an extent.

And yes, there are alot of bums on this team that I really dislike also.

|Zach|
02-21-2006, 12:14 PM
Ha.

pikesome
02-21-2006, 12:15 PM
That's fine it would be nice if he'd come back, I just think there's a very low chance of it happening. The only real question of him coming back even with a paycut, is what will Larry Johnson think about it. I do think as long as Holmes is here LJ will be looking over his shoulder to an extent.

And yes, there are alot of bums on this team that I really dislike also.

If Holmes comes back I don't think there will be any doubt as to his status: backup. Larry might enjoy it, a chance to show everyone that hes the man with Priest right there to compare with. I don't know this, LJ's mind is his own but...

htismaqe
02-21-2006, 12:15 PM
There's more to it than JUST money.

Of course, Priest needs to take a paycut. I think everybody but Priest agrees.

But Priest also has to be willing to accept that LJ is the starter. And he's already said that he won't.

Mecca
02-21-2006, 12:16 PM
If Holmes comes back I don't think there will be any doubt as to his status: backup. Larry might enjoy it, a chance to show everyone that hes the man with Priest right there to compare with. I don't know this, LJ's mind is his own but...

I don't know about that............he'd obviously outplayed Holmes last year before Holmes got hurt and was still behind him. I understand that was with Vermiel and Saunders so his feeling may not be the same as it would have been if they were still here. But I'd look over my shoulder if a guy I'd outplayed and still started over me was coming back to be my "backup".

dj56dt58
02-21-2006, 12:17 PM
I like how when we get a great young rb to replace priest, you people shit all over him. You forget what he did not too long ago, for damn near nothing compared to what others were being paid.

Mecca
02-21-2006, 12:19 PM
I like how when we get a great young rb to replace priest, you people shit all over him. You forget what he did not too long ago, for damn near nothing compared to what others were being paid.

So should we be sentimental toward him..........the game's a business, holding onto older players who did something in the past is how you end up an old crappy team.

htismaqe
02-21-2006, 12:23 PM

He did it for damn-near nothing because that's what he was worth when he got here. If it hadn't been for the Chiefs giving him a chance, he'd still be nothing.

jspchief
02-21-2006, 12:28 PM
So should we be sentimental toward him..........the game's a business, holding onto older players who did something in the past is how you end up an old crappy team.I'm going to go ahead and be sentimental toward him.

I'll let the team make the appropriate business decisions.

I can differentiate between how I feel about a player, and how I feel the team should do their business.

pikesome
02-21-2006, 12:33 PM
I don't know about that............he'd obviously outplayed Holmes last year before Holmes got hurt and was still behind him. I understand that was with Vermiel and Saunders so his feeling may not be the same as it would have been if they were still here. But I'd look over my shoulder if a guy I'd outplayed and still started over me was coming back to be my "backup".

Well, I don't think PH is playing next year anyway, but if he does there's no way LJ is the back up. He's the most promising RB in the NFL right now and with a new coach and contract for LJ coming up, he starts. It'll be his job to lose.

Sure-Oz
02-21-2006, 12:35 PM
I hope priest comes back at the right price, if not then Cya and thanks for all you have done.