PDA

View Full Version : Ouch : New KU news .......

ROYC75
02-21-2006, 03:19 PM
http://www2.kusports.com/news/2006/feb/21/hawkins_cited_accident/?mens_basketball

:banghead: Hawkins cited in accident.......... :banghead:

Lawrence Police cited Kansas University basketball player Jeff Hawkins for leaving the scene of an accident Sunday morning after he struck another car while trying to cut in line at a fast-food drive-through lane, according to a police report.

Hawkins, a 23-year-old senior, was cited for leaving the scene of an accident and not having proof of insurance.

“We are aware of an incident. We are now gathering information. We are not going to say anything until after the game” tonight against Baylor, KU associate athletic director Jim Marchiony said.

It’s not yet known whether the incident will affect the diversion agreement Hawkins reached with the Lawrence city prosecutor’s office in October 2005 after he was charged with having a stolen KU parking pass. It’s also unknown whether it will affect Hawkins’ participation in tonight’s game.

“It’s a decision (Coach Bill Self) will make between now and game time,” Marchiony said.

The Lawrence woman whose car was struck by Hawkins’ 2000 Buick told police she was trying to pull up to the drive-through speaker at McDonald’s, 1309 W. Sixth St., at 2:07 a.m. when Hawkins drove up from the right-hand side and pulled in front of her, striking her 2002 Kia Spectra on the front passenger corner. The woman told police that when she got out and told Hawkins he had hit her, he blamed her for the collision.

Hawkins then went ahead and ordered his food, police said. Minutes later, an officer who was called to the scene stopped him as he was driving out of the parking lot, according to the report.

Hawkins told the officer “he had no idea” what happened and said that his car didn’t strike the other car.

Police said the officer who stopped Hawkins did not have any reason to suspect Hawkins was under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Assistant Sports Editor Gary Bedore contributed information to this article.

RickObie
02-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Idiot!

Saulbadguy
02-21-2006, 03:23 PM
Fast food line? Was he demanding a chalupa?

Rooster
02-21-2006, 03:25 PM
Yeah right... No alchohol was suspected... The officer must be a Jayhawk fan. Hawkins got off easy on this one.

Pitt Gorilla
02-21-2006, 03:28 PM
KU is above the law. See KU football academic fraud.

DaKCMan AP
02-21-2006, 03:57 PM
Hawkins has always seemed mildly retarded. I always hate seeing him out on the floor so I hope he's suspended so someone better can play.

Braincase
02-21-2006, 03:57 PM

Horsehockey. The NCAA has not handed down a decision yet. KU self reported, and no girlfriends were beaten up during the course of the investigation.

Pitt Gorilla
02-21-2006, 04:01 PM
Horsehockey. The NCAA has not handed down a decision yet. KU self reported, and no girlfriends were beaten up during the course of the investigation.I know that, I'm just playing with ya'. That being said, the KC media has been pretty quiet on the subject.

redbrian
02-21-2006, 04:05 PM
Horsehockey. The NCAA has not handed down a decision yet. KU self reported, and no girlfriends were beaten up during the course of the investigation.

You do have to give KU credit for playing as team when stomping ass (safety in numbers) off the court, with a little brick to the head for good measure.

KcMizzou
02-21-2006, 04:09 PM
he struck another car while trying to cut in line at a fast-food drive-through lane
ROFL What a jackass.

mike_b_284
02-21-2006, 04:11 PM

Because they are the law. Look at the judges bios in johnson county. Almost all of them are KU alumni.

sedated
02-21-2006, 04:23 PM
not a big deal, unless our shooters go cold.

why does this punk get to stay and ruin our team, when talented troubled players are shipped out without hesitation?

CoMoChief
02-21-2006, 04:50 PM
I was involved in a situation almost exactly like this 2 years ago in Columbia. I was at McDonalds and I was drunk coming home from a party in which I decided to get some food like many drunks do at 2am at McDonalds. I was behind this POS 88 Honda car. I had to get something out of my backseat so I unclipped my seatbelt and reached back and stretched to get it. I had my Jeep in drive and I was just pushing the break pedal. When I reached back my foot slipped off of the break and onto the gas pedal a little bit causing my Jeep to make a sudden jump into this Honda. It did nothing to my car but his bumper and rear fender was dented pretty bad. You could expect that to happen with this POS. It totalled his car just because his car was worth as much as my logs are in the toilet. We both got out and I told him I was sorry yada yada. I gave him my insurance card and ID and everything (this was on the side of McDonalds away from the drive thru at this point - we both had our food at this point but anyways) he said he didnt believe it was me for some dumb**** reason and said he was gonna call the cops. Me being a little drunk, in no way was I gonna interact with the Asshole Shitheads of the Columbia PD, so I said I was gonna flee home if he did call the cops. He still persued to do so, so I left the scene. A couple days later I get a call from the Columbia PD saying that this guy said I fled the scene blah blah blah, I said I wasn't drinking and he couldnt prove it even though the SOB I wrecked pleaded to the cops that I was drunk at the time of the accident. He said that I would be charged with failing to report an accident rather than fleeing an accident, which is a far more worse charge. McDonalds is also on private property which technically somehow isnt city jurisdiction so I guess that had something to do with it, I dunno. Thats just what I heard from some of my friends in Law school.

The morale of this situation is, is I guess not to drive drunk for all of those MADD activists out there, or is that if you are drunk and you get in a wreck on private property and the other party wants to call the cops, leave rather than to face a DWI/DUI and only be charged with failing to report an accident which is around a $125 dollar fine.

sedated
02-21-2006, 04:57 PM
The morale of this situation is if you are drunk and you get in a wreck on private property and the other party wants to call the cops, leave rather than to face a DWI/DUI and only be charged with failing to report an accident which is around a $125 dollar fine.

another great lesson for the kids.

"don't get caught drunk, just run away so the cops can't prove it later"

KcMizzou
02-21-2006, 05:00 PM
another great lesson for the kids.

"don't get caught drunk, just run away so the cops can't prove it later"Yeah, just what I was thinking. Nice,"pimp dude".

ArrowheadHawk
02-21-2006, 05:19 PM
he sais he didn't do it

Braincase
02-21-2006, 05:54 PM
You do have to give KU credit for playing as team when stomping ass (safety in numbers) off the court, with a little brick to the head for good measure.

That was a serious screwup on J.R.'s part, no doubt about it. Hope he has fun with New Mexico State. We have our problems, that's for sure.

How you guys doin'?

Reaper16
02-21-2006, 06:01 PM
Might as well sit him for tonight. They won't have any real trouble with Baylor.

ArrowheadHawk
02-21-2006, 06:02 PM
Might as well sit him for tonight. They won't have any real trouble with Baylor.shouldn't have any problems anyway but you never know....we shoulda beat bucknell also

Reaper16
02-21-2006, 06:04 PM
Bucknell would beat Baylor

Eleazar
02-21-2006, 06:06 PM
McDonalds is also on private property which technically somehow isnt city jurisdiction so I guess that had something to do with it, I dunno.

If an accident is on private property and there are no injuries and no alcohol involved, I was told once, the cops don't have to be involved...

OldTownChief
02-21-2006, 06:19 PM
What a stupid thug.

OldTownChief
02-21-2006, 06:22 PM
so I said I was gonna flee home if he did call the cops. He still persued to do so, so I left the scene.

I'd have put a brick through your back window aiming for your head.

HemiEd
02-21-2006, 06:45 PM
struck by Hawkins’ 2000 Buick told police she was trying to pull up to the drive-through speaker at McDonald’s, 1309 W. Sixth St., at 2:07 a.m. when Hawkins drove up from the right-hand side and pulled in front of her, striking her 2002 Kia

Maybe his Pops was just laid off at GM or his great uncle was killed in the Korean war? :hmmm:

KcMizzou
02-21-2006, 06:57 PM
We have our problems, that's for sure.

How you guys doin'? Heh. Point taken.

:cuss: :sulk:

Skip Towne
02-21-2006, 07:06 PM
I'd have put a brick through your back window aiming for your head.
I'd have pulled out my BAR and filled you full of lead.

redfan
02-21-2006, 08:20 PM
Stop the presses!! A 23 y/o has a fender bender!!
Must be a slow news day.