PDA

View Full Version : A good site for researching places to live?

|Zach|
02-21-2006, 05:00 PM
I am looking for some good resources for information on different cities around the US with a lot of information for someone that could be interested in moving there...cost of living...etc.

Any good places to start?

Simply Red
02-21-2006, 05:02 PM
I am looking for some good resources for information on different cities around the US with a lot of information for someone that could be interested in moving there...cost of living...etc.

UHH. Hands Down. Atlanta!

|Zach|
02-21-2006, 05:04 PM
Meh, like I need more Waffle Houses in my life. ROFL

vailpass
02-21-2006, 05:05 PM
Hi Zach,
I haven't researched diffrent sites but our corporate Recruiters use Homefair. I used it once when I relocated and found it to be helpful.

www.homefair.com

Rain Man
02-21-2006, 05:05 PM
Bureau of Labor Statistics
US Census
ACCRA (Chamber of Commerce Research Association)

Bingo, bango, bongo, and Irving. There's all you need.

Simply Red
02-21-2006, 05:06 PM
Meh, like I need more Waffle Houses in my life. ROFL

Okay.

LV Tim
02-21-2006, 05:21 PM
http://www.moving.com/Find_a_Place/Cityprofile/

SBK
02-21-2006, 05:40 PM

Ditto. 16% cheaper than Des Moines, coldest weather is like 30's, maybe. Plus, Atlanta is a chocolate city, which makes the New Orleans mayor jealous.

tk13
02-21-2006, 05:44 PM
www.city-data.com

Pierce
02-21-2006, 06:30 PM
http://www.findyourspot.com/Default.asp

Answer questions and the site will match you with a city that fits your needs. Works pretty well.

AustinChief
02-21-2006, 08:17 PM
Honestly, Austin is amazing... unless you HAVE to have a beach closer than 3 hours away. Otherwise Austin has a TON to do, good economy, great parks and a healthy downtown.

Just my $.02

chief52
02-21-2006, 08:59 PM

Are you going under the witness protection program?

|Zach|
02-21-2006, 10:58 PM
Are you going under the witness protection program?
You will shut your dirty mouth if you know whats good for you...

|Zach|
02-21-2006, 11:00 PM
Honestly, Austin is amazing... unless you HAVE to have a beach closer than 3 hours away. Otherwise Austin has a TON to do, good economy, great parks and a healthy downtown.

Just my $.02
I have my sights on the mid atlantic for the most part...north carolina...virginia. But Austin has always intrigued me as a city. Esp the music scene...so has San Antonio.

Rain Man
02-21-2006, 11:01 PM
Have you considered Nome, Alaska? I'd love to be able to say that I know someone who lives in Nome, Alaska.

|Zach|
02-21-2006, 11:05 PM
Have you considered Nome, Alaska? I'd love to be able to say that I know someone who lives in Nome, Alaska.
Whats in it for me?

I mean you can already tell me people you would have met me if a flight had not been delayed....much better than knowing some random person from Nome.

Much better.

Rain Man
02-21-2006, 11:10 PM
Whats in it for me?

I mean you can already tell me people you would have met me if a flight had not been delayed....much better than knowing some random person from Nome.

Much better.

I'm not so sure. Flight delays happen all the time, but moves to Nome are almost unheard of. If you move to Nome, I'll add you to my Christmas card list, and I usually pick pretty good Christmas cards, often with pictures of snow and presents and stuff.

|Zach|
02-21-2006, 11:11 PM
I'm not so sure. Flight delays happen all the time, but moves to Nome are almost unheard of. If you move to Nome, I'll add you to my Christmas card list, and I usually pick pretty good Christmas cards, often with pictures of snow and presents and stuff.
What about my birthday?

Rain Man
02-21-2006, 11:14 PM
What about my birthday?

I don't do birthday cards for guys. It starts rumors. Once a year, though, I can send an e-mail that says, "I don't remember when your birthday is, so I'll just say Happy Birthday now." It's the best I can do as a heterosexual male.

Miles
02-21-2006, 11:20 PM
I have my sights on the mid atlantic for the most part...north carolina...virginia. But Austin has always intrigued me as a city. Esp the music scene...so has San Antonio.

Austin is a very cool city. Its a decent size and has lots of things to do. It also has a different fele to it than other large southern cities.

gblowfish
02-21-2006, 11:50 PM
I've been all over the USA, although most of my extensive travelling was in the early 1990's. Some of my favorite places that I found impressive:

(In no particular order):
1) Alexandria, VA or Rockford, MD: I love Washington DC area, but you don't want to live inside City of DC. Close to the ocean, mountains, cool history stuff, and not far to other cool big cities like Baltimore, Philly or NYC.

2) West Point or Hyde Park, NY: Hudson River Valley is beautiful. So is Upstate NY. Cool history, friendly people (yes, in New York!)

3) Nashville, TN: Great music scene, pro sports, college girls at Vandy, moderate weather, laid back.

4) Austin, TX: Same as #3 above, but no pro sports. Best BBQ outside of KC.

5) Boulder, CO: Beautiful scenery, college girls, close enough to Denver for big city stuff. Drawback: Donko fans, echhh...

6) Santa Cruz, CA: They have otters. I like otters.

7) Northwest Arkansas: Just south of Fayetteville (Univ of Arkansas). Unbelievable beauty in the fall when the trees turn colors, booming economy there too.

8) Cleveland, OH: Sucks in winter. Otherwise, Cleveland ROCKS. Lots to do there. All the sports except NHL?

9) Santa Fe, NM: Again, beautiful scenery, mild weather. Close to skiing or desert. Lots of cool laid back people.

10) Kansas City, MO: There's no place like home.

Good luck finding a new place to call home. Only bad thing about Atlanta is humidity in summer can be mind numbing. But that's why God invented air conditioning and Coca Cola.