PDA

View Full Version : Bills franchise Clement

dj56dt58
02-22-2006, 01:19 PM
http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/BUF/9256899

Bills designate CB Clements franchise player Click here to find out more!
NFL.com wire reports

BUFFALO, N.Y. (Feb. 22, 2006) -- Cornerback Nate Clements' plan to pursue a lucrative contract on the free-agent market was put on hold when the Buffalo Bills designated him their franchise player.

The move was expected and allows the Bills to retain the rights to Clements by offering the five-year starter and 2004 Pro Bowl selection a one-year tender.

Nate Clements, a talented cornerback and gifted return man likely will remain with Buffalo.
Nate Clements, a talented cornerback and gifted return man likely will remain with Buffalo.
"We consider Nate a valuable member of our defense and believe he will play an important role in re-establishing our defense as one of the toughest units in the league," general manager Marv Levy said in a press release. Levy added he remains optimistic the Bills can negotiate a long-term deal with Clements, who was considered one of the prime defensive backs on the market.

Clements' agent, Todd France, said he was not surprised by the Bills' decision.

Clements can stay away from team functions, including minicamps and training camp, until accepting the offer. That could mean Clements would miss valuable time learning the Bills' defensive philosophy under new coach Dick Jauron.

The Bills have the right to pull back the offer at any time, which would make Clements an unrestricted free agent.

Although the move makes Clements one of the NFL's top-paid cornerbacks next season, the salary is well below what he envisioned getting when free agency opens March 3.

Clements created a stir during training camp last summer, saying he considered himself the NFL's best cornerback and wanted a deal similar to the seven-year contract Denver's Champ Bailey signed in 2004.

Selected 21st overall in the 2001 draft out of Ohio State, Clements has 20 career interceptions and started 72 consecutive games since landing the starter's job midway through his rookie season.

Also a threat returning punts, Clements leads the Bills with six career touchdown returns, including four by interception.

Clements is coming off a down year. He finished third on the team with a career-low two interceptions -- the first time he failed to lead the Bills in that category -- and third with 127 tackles.

Buffalo, which also struggled on offense, finished 5-11 and failed to make the playoffs for the sixth consecutive season.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2006, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

-------------------------------------

Looks like we won't be getting Clement

htismaqe
02-22-2006, 01:21 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=136126

htismaqe
02-22-2006, 01:24 PM
Skillful edit of the thread title there. :D

I was just messing anyway.

dj56dt58
02-22-2006, 01:26 PM
Skillful edit of the thread title there. :D

I was just messing anyway.
yeah i saw your post and used my quick reflexes to change the title, and thread..nice eh?