View Full Version : HAPPY BLACK HISTORY MONTH

SLAG
02-22-2006, 01:53 PM
I know its a little late but...

HAPPY BLACK HISTORY MONTH

http://www.black-history-month.co.uk/pictures/BHCartoonPoster.jpg

Rain Man
02-22-2006, 02:21 PM
I learned on M*A*S*H that a black man invented the dialysis machine.

jspchief
02-22-2006, 02:24 PM
So how many faces can you put names to on that poster?

I can do 4, and one of them is Oprah, which I find comical.

Inspector
02-22-2006, 02:29 PM
Have a happy month.

I hope it's not too dark wherever you are.

Rain Man
02-22-2006, 02:29 PM
Oprah? Yikes. I was giggling at Ali.

I see MLK, of course, and I think the guy on the right is George Washington Carver, the inventor of the peanut.

The two guys on the left are very familiar. Is the lower guy Malcolm X?

Is the upper guy that former mayor of Atlanta? I think he did a UN stint for a while, too. I could be wrong. Andrew something...

I'd guess that Rosa Parks and Frederick Douglass would be on there, but Douglass isn't. I don't really know what Parks looked like, other than "little old lady" in recent years.

Wow, this is harder than I thought. I'm a failure at Black History Month.

jspchief
02-22-2006, 02:31 PM
200+ years of black history in America, and Bob Marley, Ali, and Oprah make your top 12.

Inspector
02-22-2006, 02:38 PM
Is the upper guy that former mayor of Atlanta? I think he did a UN stint for a while, too. I could be wrong. Andrew something...

Andrew Young?

Seems like I remember that being his name, but not for sure...

I know it's not Jackson or Taylor or Williams. That I know for sure.

MOhillbilly
02-22-2006, 02:39 PM
i love me some grape nehi

Rain Man
02-22-2006, 02:40 PM
Andrew Young?

Seems like I remember that being his name, but not for sure...

I know it's not Jackson or Taylor or Williams. That I know for sure.

That's who I was thinking of, but I just googled his picture and that's not him. Dang, he looks familiar.

chefsos
02-22-2006, 02:41 PM
I thought at first that the Ali picture was Little Richard.

:shrug:

Inspector
02-22-2006, 02:46 PM
Is that Sammy Davis Jr?

Richard Pryor?

Bill Cosby?

Amos?

Andy?

(Probably not Amos and Andy....)

Is there a way to tell which is which?

Sully
02-22-2006, 02:46 PM
Tutu and Angelou are on there. Angelou is gonna be in town next month, for those interested.
Just watched the last 20-30 minutes of "Boycott" last night... great movie on HBO, if you get the chance to watch it.

jspchief
02-22-2006, 02:49 PM
Would bottom center be Harriet Tubman?

Inspector
02-22-2006, 02:54 PM

I thought it was tubgirl?

jspchief
02-22-2006, 02:56 PM
I thought it was tubgirl?Uhhh, Tubgirl isn't black.

She's brownish yellow.

chefsos
02-22-2006, 02:56 PM

Not sure. I should be more familiar though, considering that a great deal of the Underground Railroad existed right here in Delaware and the Eastern Shore of Maryland.

vailpass
02-22-2006, 02:57 PM
200+ years of black history in America, and Bob Marley, Ali, and Oprah make your top 12.

And Colin Powell is left off. WTF?

SLAG
02-22-2006, 02:58 PM
And Colin Powell is left off. WTF?

hey I didnt make the poster

Just used it from another site

jspchief
02-22-2006, 03:00 PM
Not sure. I should be more familiar though, considering that a great deal of the Underground Railroad existed right here in Delaware and the Eastern Shore of Maryland.The only reason I guessed as much was because it was a drawing rather than a photo.

If that isn't Tubman, she should be on there in place of just about any other face.

It's really a discredit to black history IMO that whoever made that poster decided to include someone like Oprah.

vailpass
02-22-2006, 03:02 PM

ROFL It's all good, I don't think anyone is holding you personally responsible for the poster. Do you have any white history posters? :jester:

SLAG
02-22-2006, 03:05 PM
ROFL It's all good, I don't think anyone is holding you personally responsible for the poster. Do you have any white history posters? :jester:

Yes but Im not looking to get sued for hate crimes

Rain Man
02-22-2006, 03:08 PM

Liar. I think you made it, and now you're embarrassed about the whole Oprah thing.

SLAG
02-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Liar. I think you made it, and now you're embarrassed about the whole Oprah thing.

If I Oprah had given me a new Car or a new House just for attending a show taping.. then she would be on my poster for damn sure

Rain Man
02-22-2006, 03:13 PM
The only reason I guessed as much was because it was a drawing rather than a photo.

If that isn't Tubman, she should be on there in place of just about any other face.

It's really a discredit to black history IMO that whoever made that poster decided to include someone like Oprah.

To be honest, Oprah is indeed a shining example of the Great American Dream. She went from being one of the masses to being a highly influential person for large audiences, and a very successful businessperson. She may be inconsequential for middle-aged white guys, but she apparently has strong influence over a lot of women in this country, and she's a pretty good role model if that's what they're trying to communicate.

However, we could have said many of the same things about Michael Jackson 20 years ago. While it's possible that Oprah will indeed be viewed by history as a great success story worthy of being held up as a strong role model, her history is not yet written, and that, in my opinion, is why it's risky to put her on a poster like this.

Rain Man
02-22-2006, 03:17 PM
Dang. That guy on the upper left is bugging me. I know who he is, but I can't place him.

stevieray
02-22-2006, 03:19 PM
To be honest, Oprah is indeed a shining example of the Great American Dream. She went from being one of the masses to being a highly influential person for large audiences, and a very successful businessperson. She may be inconsequential for middle-aged white guys, but she apparently has strong influence over a lot of women in this country, and she's a pretty good role model if that's what they're trying to communicate.

However, we could have said many of the same things about Michael Jackson 20 years ago. While it's possible that Oprah will indeed be viewed by history as a great success story worthy of being held up as a strong role model, her history is not yet written, and that, in my opinion, is why it's risky to put her on a poster like this.

Influence on women...like a 6/10 divorce rate.

jspchief
02-22-2006, 03:20 PM

However, we could have said many of the same things about Michael Jackson 20 years ago. While it's possible that Oprah will indeed be viewed by history as a great success story worthy of being held up as a strong role model, her history is not yet written, and that, in my opinion, is why it's risky to put her on a poster like this.My problem with it isn't even that.

IMO, the spirit of black history month is to promote prominent blacks throughout history. People that may have not received their due in schools or other avenues. It should be about me learning who the middle guy on the left is, and why he's important to history.

Everyone knows who Oprah is. She wasn't overshadowed by teachings that put black historical figures on the back burner.

It's not "black celebrity month". Or "really great black people month". It's about the history that wasn't taught the way it should be.

Just my opinion.

jspchief
02-22-2006, 03:21 PM
Dang. That guy on the upper left is bugging me. I know who he is, but I can't place him.George Jefferson?

Rain Man
02-22-2006, 03:31 PM
My problem with it isn't even that.

IMO, the spirit of black history month is to promote prominent blacks throughout history. People that may have not received their due in schools or other avenues. It should be about me learning who the middle guy on the left is, and why he's important to history.

Yeah, good point.

But in white history month, I wouldn't mind having George Washington on my poster, and he's not exactly overshadowed. He's just prominent. Or is your point that the overshadowed part should be more of a decision criteria for African Americans?

jspchief
02-22-2006, 03:37 PM
Yeah, good point.

But in white history month, I wouldn't mind having George Washington on my poster, and he's not exactly overshadowed. He's just prominent. Or is your point that the overshadowed part should be more of a decision criteria for African Americans?Well, yea. I guess I always thought it was about raising awareness of black historical figures.

George Washington isn't the proper analogy. Dr. Phil would be.

I guess I don't feel like current icons of pop culture need an awareness month.

Rain Man
02-22-2006, 03:39 PM
Okay, we have to name these people. We're Americans! We're the smartest people on the planet! We can name these people!

Black guys, help the white guys!*

*I don't often get to quote lines from "Stripes."

SLAG
02-22-2006, 03:48 PM
Under Oprah is Louis Armstrong..

Under Mya is Dick Gregory

SLAG
02-22-2006, 03:53 PM
How could this guy be left off the poster

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/staff/herman_edwards.jpg

Rain Man
02-22-2006, 03:59 PM
That's Louis Armstrong? Are you sure? He looks like some politician or leader that's buried in the back of my mind.

SLAG
02-22-2006, 04:04 PM
That's Louis Armstrong? Are you sure? He looks like some politician or leader that's buried in the back of my mind.

Marrion Barry possibly?