PDA

View Full Version : Lions keeping Rogers ... tagging Backus

Mr. Laz
02-22-2006, 02:59 PM
LIONS NOTEBOOK: Rogers to return; deal or tag due for Backus

February 22, 2006
BY NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA

Lions president Matt Millen says Charles Rogers will be back. Rogers, drafted second overall in 2003, has played 15 games.

Sorry Charlie

Wide receiver Charles Rogers started three games last season and played in nine. His stats:

REC YDS AVG TD LNG 20+ FD
14 197 14.1 1 35 3 11

Wide receiver Charles Rogers will return to the Lions, president Matt Millen said Tuesday. He had better be ready to work hard.

Rogers has been a huge disappointment since the Lions drafted him second overall in 2003. He has played only 15 games because of injuries, a suspension and benchings.

The Lions are trying to recoup $10.184 million of his $14.4-million signing bonus because they say the drug suspension he served last season put him in default of his contract.

But Rogers is relatively cheap to bring back. His lack of playing time kept him from triggering escalator clauses in his contract, and his base salary is $757,917 for 2006.

Rogers still has a lot of upside, and the new coaches say they will demand more of Rogers and fellow receivers Roy Williams and Mike Williams.

"I've got to believe they're going to be liking it -- getting down the field, stretching the field," said coach Rod Marinelli, who met with Rogers last week. "But within that is the work ethic that's going to come with it."

NOTEBOOK: If the Lions can't work out a long-term deal with left tackle Jeff Backus by Thursday's deadline, they will use their franchise or transition tag on him, effectively keeping him out of the free-agent market. "I want to try to keep on pushing to try to get the thing worked out here shortly," Millen said. But "I wouldn't be afraid of a tag at all."

Email this

Cormac
02-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Based on what little I know of Matt Millen, Rogers and Jeff Backus must be talent-less hacks.

That is all.