PDA

View Full Version : Autistic kid scores 20 points in last 4 minutes

banyon
02-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Thought it was a good story to offset all of today's bad news.

Autistic teen scores major points in basketball game

By KATU.com Web Staff
ROCHESTER, N.Y. - An autistic teenager proved hoop dreams can come true. Jason McElwain is the basketball manager for Athena-Greece High School. For three years, he suited up and sat on the sidelines during every game.

On Feb. 15, the coach let him play in the school's final varsity basketball game of the season. What happened on the court surprised everyone.

Jason scored from behind the three-point line. Then he did it again. And again. In all, Jason netted 20 points during the last four minutes of the game.

The crowd went crazy, surging onto the court. Players and audience members lifted Jason onto their shoulders, with a big grin across his face. Jason's secret: stay focused on the game.

http://www.katu.com/news/images/story2006/060222autistic_basketball.jpg

video (javascript:MM_openBrWindow('/video/video_player.asp?ID=83601&VID=http://easylink.playstream.com/katu/060222autistic_basketball_12pm.wvx','player','toolbar=no,directories=no,status=no,menubar=no'))

Story (http://www.katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=83601)

mike_b_284
02-23-2006, 05:57 PM
RUDY RUDY RUDY RUDY

vailpass
02-23-2006, 05:59 PM
That is moving. It reminds me of the story last year where the mentally handicapped kid got in on the last play of the game and the other team let him score??
someone help me out with the details; I remember having a hard time not crying while reading that story.

JBucc
02-23-2006, 05:59 PM
I bet he sucked in practice but they couldn't kick him off because he's autistic, but when he got in the game something clicked in his head and bam 20 points.

Ecto-I
02-23-2006, 06:08 PM
Go to CNN.com and check out the crowd in the video footage. It's awsome.

KChiefs1
02-23-2006, 06:11 PM
CBS News just did the story on him at 5:30.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Fish
02-23-2006, 06:12 PM
Some juco will sign him and he'll be averaging 30 pts a game.... awesome.........

leviw
02-23-2006, 06:29 PM
Some juco will sign him and he'll be averaging 30 pts a game.... awesome.........

K-State?

banyon
02-23-2006, 06:31 PM
K-State?

I wasn't gonna be the one to say it. :)

Mosbonian
02-23-2006, 06:44 PM

Autistic teen scores major points in basketball game

By KATU.com Web Staff
ROCHESTER, N.Y. - An autistic teenager proved hoop dreams can come true. Jason McElwain is the basketball manager for Athena-Greece High School. For three years, he suited up and sat on the sidelines during every game.

On Feb. 15, the coach let him play in the school's final varsity basketball game of the season. What happened on the court surprised everyone.

Jason scored from behind the three-point line. Then he did it again. And again. In all, Jason netted 20 points during the last four minutes of the game.

The crowd went crazy, surging onto the court. Players and audience members lifted Jason onto their shoulders, with a big grin across his face. Jason's secret: stay focused on the game.

http://www.katu.com/news/images/story2006/060222autistic_basketball.jpg

video (javascript:MM_openBrWindow('/video/video_player.asp?ID=83601&VID=http://easylink.playstream.com/katu/060222autistic_basketball_12pm.wvx','player','toolbar=no,directories=no,status=no,menubar=no'))

Story (http://www.katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=83601)

Hard to have a dry eye watching that....and even more so because the whole school was behind him. Gives hope to every parent whose child is afflicted with autism...... :clap: :clap: :clap:

mmaddog

Rausch
02-23-2006, 06:47 PM
I bet he sucked in practice but they couldn't kick him off because he's autistic, but when he got in the game something clicked in his head and bam 20 points.

Autistic people often latch onto something and become damned near OCD about it. Then go on to be insane good at it.

Rain Man
02-23-2006, 08:08 PM
That is moving. It reminds me of the story last year where the mentally handicapped kid got in on the last play of the game and the other team let him score??
someone help me out with the details; I remember having a hard time not crying while reading that story.

You're thinking of the Broncos-Browns playoff game.

Rain Man
02-23-2006, 08:08 PM
That coach should be fired. This is just like the Dick Vermeil-Larry Johnson thing.

Skip Towne
02-23-2006, 08:21 PM
That coach should be fired. This is just like the Dick Vermeil-Larry Johnson thing.
Except that time the coach was the retarded one.

trndobrd
02-23-2006, 08:29 PM
So how does the kid that came out so he could go in the game feel right now?

Dunit35
02-23-2006, 08:31 PM
I guess I'm stupid can someone tell me what being autistic is?

HolmeZz
02-23-2006, 08:34 PM

It means they can paint really pretty pictures.

Rain Man
02-23-2006, 08:39 PM

Rain Man.

The other one.

Pretty much the other one.

Rain Man
02-23-2006, 08:39 PM
Are there any good autistic defensive tackles in the draft this year?

Dunit35
02-23-2006, 08:41 PM
Rain Man.

The other one.

Pretty much the other one.

Seriously make fun of me all you want...I just want to know what autistic means?

Skip Towne
02-23-2006, 08:44 PM
Seriously make fun of me all you want...I just want to know what autistic means?
Did you see "Forest Gump"? Forrest was autistic.

milkman
02-23-2006, 08:47 PM

Main Entry: au·tism
Pronunciation: 'o-"ti-z&m
Function: noun
: a variable developmental disorder that appears by age three and is characterized by impairment of the ability to form normal social relationships, by impairment of the ability to communicate with others, and by stereotyped behavior patterns
- au·tis·tic /o-'tis-tik/ adjective or noun
- au·tis·ti·cal·ly /-ti-k(&-)lE/ adverb

Dunit35
02-23-2006, 08:51 PM
: a variable developmental disorder that appears by age three and is characterized by impairment of the ability to form normal social relationships, by impairment of the ability to communicate with others, and by stereotyped behavior patterns

Thanks...Now I understand why this story is so moving.

Chiefaholic
02-23-2006, 09:07 PM
I coached my daughters basketball teams from the 2nd grade to the 6th. Her last year befor school ball started, there was this little girl on our team named Elizabeth. I seriously doubt she was 5 foot tall, but she played hard every game reguardless of never scoring a point all season. The last game of the season, I told the team I wanted everybody to make a shot. It finally came down to Elizabeth as the last person who hadn't made a point yet. The team passed her the ball on almost every posession in the 4th quarter. The rest of the girls were setting up screens for her to give her a clean shot. With about 2 minutes left, she made her first 2 points of the season and the crowd erupted for her as well. Even though we lost that game, it felt great to see the expression on her parents face and the huge smile on Elizabeth as well.

Iowanian
02-23-2006, 09:18 PM
Thats a great story.

There was a story in IA last year...where a kid with Downs Syndrome who wrestled. Their coach found him a match against a pretty good kid, and asked his coach to ask him to not embarrass the kid...let him make a match of it for at least a little while and not hurt him.

The kid one upped him, gave him a match into the 3rd period and then rolled over and let the kid pin him.

ChiefsFanatic
02-23-2006, 09:21 PM
the cnn video is so much better

Eleazar
02-23-2006, 09:24 PM
awesome

Rain Man
02-23-2006, 09:24 PM

Seriously...Rain Man was autistic.

The other one.

Rain Man
02-23-2006, 09:25 PM

Wait a minute. That actually describes me. It describes half of the people on chiefsplanet.

milkman
02-23-2006, 09:34 PM
Wait a minute. That actually describes me. It describes half of the people on chiefsplanet.

Damn it Rain Man, you forgot that's supposed to be a secret, again!

Eleazar
02-23-2006, 09:59 PM
the cnn video is so much better

Where is the video on CNN? I can't find it.

Eleazar
02-23-2006, 10:11 PM
Where is the video on CNN? I can't find it.

Nevermind, I got it.

Here's the CNN story (http://www.emailthis.clickability.com/et/emailThis?clickMap=viewThis&etMailToID=1428713585)

mikey23545
02-23-2006, 10:46 PM
I can't believe how much friggin' pollen must be in the air this time of year to get my eyes watering this bad....

Pants
02-23-2006, 11:08 PM
Seriously...Rain Man was autistic.

The other one.

He wasn't autistic, silly. He was a savant.

02-23-2006, 11:23 PM

What bad news. I have been away from the tv and radio all day.

leviw
02-23-2006, 11:27 PM
What bad news. I have been away from the tv and radio all day.

Cherryontop started up the Warfield thread again. :shake:

Mosbonian
02-23-2006, 11:31 PM
Anyone who has a child with autism can appreciate just how difficult this is....and how great a thing this is for this young lad. And even better the support that was given him by the Coach, his teammates and the students.

In most cases, that first miss he had would have been a confidence killer, but his Team went right back to him, and BINGO...he hit one.

Does a heart good to see that....

mmaddog

02-23-2006, 11:32 PM
Cherryontop started up the Warfield thread again. :shake:

Is there ever a good thread about Warfield?

leviw
02-23-2006, 11:35 PM
Is there ever a good thread about Warfield?

There will never be one worse then that one. I hope.

Demonpenz
02-23-2006, 11:37 PM
there was an austic kid that jumped on my back one time at a swimming pool trying to play with me. That guy almost drown me. Luckily a lifeguard was able to take a broom and beat him off me.

Sure-Oz
02-23-2006, 11:42 PM
That was badass, wish i could've seen that live.

jspchief
02-23-2006, 11:44 PM
My wife, who is a special education teacher who works with autistic kids, brought up a good point.

Why did it take until the final four minutes of the last game of this kid's four year career for him to get in a game?

leviw
02-23-2006, 11:46 PM
My wife, who is a special education teacher who works with autistic kids, brought up a good point.

Why did it take until the final four minutes of the last game of this kid's four year career for him to get in a game?

He wasn't a player all four years. He was a team manager. The coach gave him a jersey for the last game just as a reward for all his hard work the previous years as a manager. The team got up big and he got to go in.

Demonpenz
02-23-2006, 11:46 PM

in his terms he just now be a freshman

jspchief
02-23-2006, 11:51 PM
Ah, I didn't read the article, I just sent it to my wife. I guess she didn't read the article very well either.

Mosbonian
02-24-2006, 12:01 AM

there was an austic kid that jumped on my back one time at a swimming pool trying to play with me. That guy almost drown me. Luckily a lifeguard was able to take a broom and beat him off me.

Is there some reason you are trying to act like an a$$? I don't find your comments funny at all...and I would hope no one else does either.

mmaddog

listopencil
02-24-2006, 12:11 AM
Is there some reason you are trying to act like an a$$? I don't find your comments funny at all...and I would hope no one else does either.

mmaddog

I like to think that people who make posts like his are trying to goof around in order to hide their natural human reaction, that they are uncomfortable expressing deep emotion. Or that they remain aloof as a matter of course because they just don't want to become involved in an issue like this. Because if this is the only way that someone could, in all honesty, react to a story like this then they are certainly a disgusting shitbag not fit to associate with fellow human beings.

Demonpenz
02-24-2006, 12:15 AM
I like to think that people who make posts like his are trying to goof around in order to hide their natural human reaction, that they are uncomfortable expressing deep emotion. Or that they remain aloof as a matter of course because they just don't want to become involved in an issue like this. Because if this is the only way that someone could, in all honesty, react to a story like this then they are certainly a disgusting shitbag not fit to associate with fellow human beings.

Or it could be because I can't hit a jumpshot, but I like shitbag, I will keep that one.

listopencil
02-24-2006, 12:18 AM
Or it could be because I can't hit a jumpshot, but I like shitbag, I will keep that one.

OK, shitbag.

luv
02-24-2006, 02:01 AM

mmaddog
I'll second that.

greg63
02-24-2006, 02:07 AM
Too cool banyon; great story!

mikey23545
02-24-2006, 05:09 AM
Demonpenz is much too cool to feel emotion, you morons!

Rausch
02-24-2006, 06:03 AM

In my terms, you are...

greg63
02-24-2006, 06:47 AM
Anyone who has a child with autism can appreciate just how difficult this is....and how great a thing this is for this young lad. And even better the support that was given him by the Coach, his teammates and the students.

In most cases, that first miss he had would have been a confidence killer, but his Team went right back to him, and BINGO...he hit one.

Does a heart good to see that....

mmaddog

My sentiments exactly. :thumb:

greg63
02-24-2006, 06:56 AM

I remember seeing it on the news; it was a moving story. Although, and I don't want to seem unfeeling, I had mixed emotions. It was cool that the other team let the kid score but it almost seemed like a token gesture; as if the only way someone who is developmentally disabled could possibly score is if the other team allowed it. This was just how I felt at the time; I do get that it was an instance where it was probably his only chance to come away with a positive football experience where he played an actual role.

Extra Point
02-24-2006, 09:38 AM
We had a kid on our 6th grade boys basketball team who wasn't disabled, but big-time vertically challenged. He got equal play time, just like everyone else. Next to last game of the season, we fed him the ball like no tomorrow. Made only one basket for the season, but it was one the team cheered most....

MOhillbilly
02-24-2006, 10:15 AM
after watching the evening news where i always walk away feeling alittle angst about the direction our world and country is headed it was nice to see that story. Made me feel alittle better about the country we love.

PastorMikH
05-12-2009, 11:22 PM
Saw a clip of this kid's story tonight at a minister's service. Even though it happened 3 years ago, it's the first I'd heard. Couldn't help but tear up when I watched it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngzyhnkT_jY

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/ngzyhnkT_jY&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><EMBED src="<a href=" type="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" http: www.youtube-nocookie.com v ngzyhnkT_jY&hl='en&fs=1&rel=0"' target="_blank">http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/ngzyhnkT_jY&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></EMBED>

BWillie
05-13-2009, 01:01 AM
JMAC makin' it rain on 'dem hoz

Reaper16
05-13-2009, 01:29 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about Jack Cust.

Gravedigger
05-13-2009, 03:06 AM
What other bad news was this story meant to eleviate... Brett Farve not back in the NFL and major news outlets getting stories from High School players how he'll return as credible sources? The Celtics winning? Roger Clemens denying he did steroids again?

greg63
05-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Saw a clip of this kid's story tonight at a minister's service. Even though it happened 3 years ago, it's the first I'd heard. Couldn't help but tear up when I watched it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngzyhnkT_jY

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/ngzyhnkT_jY&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><EMBED type="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" src="<a href=" target="_blank" href="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com" www.youtube-nocookie.com v ngzyhnkT_jY&hl='en&fs=1&rel=0"' target="_blank">http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/ngzyhnkT_jY&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></EMBED>

OUTSTANDING!!!

mikey23545
05-13-2009, 02:27 PM
I can't believe that three years later, my damn allergies are just as bad...