PDA

View Full Version : Vote: Best/Worst NFL Helmets

4th and Long
02-23-2006, 10:14 PM
Vote (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2006-02-22-helmets-sidebar_x.htm). Let the AFC West homer in you shine!

Dunit35
02-23-2006, 10:28 PM
San Diego is number one right now...ha..there helmets sucks.

RealSNR
02-23-2006, 10:47 PM
This is gay. The greatest helmets of all time are the Houston Oiler helmets. Why? Because there's a mutha-fukin oil rig on your helmet! If that's not the coolest thing ever, then I don't know what is

02-23-2006, 10:55 PM
That is easy. The worst

RealSNR
02-23-2006, 10:58 PM
That is easy. The worstActually, I would say that's the best. It suitably represents the entire organization and its players, not just the mascot.

02-23-2006, 11:15 PM
Actually, I would say that's the best. It suitably represents the entire organization and its players, not just the mascot.

Yeah, I almost typed out BEST but then I thought to myself, "I can't associate that word with that organization." ROFL

greg63
02-24-2006, 02:24 AM

J Diddy
02-24-2006, 02:44 AM
This is gay. The greatest helmets of all time are the Houston Oiler helmets. Why? Because there's a mutha-fukin oil rig on your helmet! If that's not the coolest thing ever, then I don't know what is

Those really cool tampa bay helmets.

Color Red
02-24-2006, 08:54 AM
Those original Bronco logos are embarassing, especially to admit they came out of the old AFL. How did Lamar Hunt, Bud Adams and those guys put up with that?

I can't figure out how a team from New York can for so long have a logo as benign as their "NY." They even came back to it after several years of the "GIANTS". Of course how do you put a little tiny picture of giant as a logo on your helmet??

And I'm sorry, those helmets with supposed 3-D effect don't work for me. Rams, Vikings, Eagles, how stupid do you think I am?

I've never gotten off on the Bengal look with those stripes. It just looks strange to me.

My cudos to teams that have stayed with traditional helmet logos like Raiders (booo!) and of course KC.

You know, Chiefs is one of the few that makes aesthetic sense. When a player is running fast down the field you can kind of pretend like that arrowhead is flying through the air toward a target...

okay it's time for me to stop.

Molitoth
02-24-2006, 09:11 AM
Worst: The Browns
Best: The Bears

jAZ
02-24-2006, 09:48 AM
I really like the Texans helmet. It has a simple yet classic look that reminds me of how I see the Chiefs helmet.

The results of the poll are pretty closely correlated to how popular the team is...

Raiders (#2), Cowboys, Pittsburgh, Green Bay

RealSNR
02-24-2006, 10:24 AM
I really like the Texans helmet. It has a simple yet classic look that reminds me of how I see the Chiefs helmet.

The results of the poll are pretty closely correlated to how popular the team is...

Raiders (#2), Cowboys, Pittsburgh, Green BayI don't know about the Texans. Jimmy Kimmel hit the nail on the head when they first introduced the Texans' logo. "Well folks, it appears that the Buffalo Bills and the New England Patriots have given birth to the Texans' logo..."

The Raiders helmet looks like a piece of shit. Al Davis needs to die pretty soon so the new owner can update that bitch.

The Cowboys NEW logo sucks with just the star by itself and no white border on the outside of it. I thought the blue/grey combination was stylish, and since the Lions whored themselves out and went Carolina Panther on us, the Cowboys should've kept what they had. Now they just look like pieces of shit.

I DO however like the GB and PIT helmets though.

StcChief
02-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Old school is the best. KC G Steelers

about the tradition

Rooster
02-24-2006, 11:11 AM
Those really cool tampa bay helmets.

I'm the only guy I know that likes the old Tampa Bay uniforms better than thier current ones. They were so bad they were good. :shrug:

John_Locke
02-24-2006, 03:17 PM
I like KCs helmuts and I like the fact that we don't change with the wind

Hammock Parties
02-24-2006, 03:24 PM
The best helmets in the NFL always have been and always will be the Dallas Cowboys. I would put KC in the top 5 but not the best.

Here is my top 5 and bottom 5

Dallas
Green Bay
Indianapolis
Pittsburgh
Cincinatti

Denver
Tennessee
Houston
Baltimore
Cleveland

andoman
02-24-2006, 07:17 PM
The best helmets in the NFL always have been and always will be the Dallas Cowboys. I would put KC in the top 5 but not the best.

Dallas
Green Bay
Indianapolis
Pittsburgh
Cincinatti

Denver
Tennessee
Houston
Baltimore
Cleveland

Yet you didn't
:shake:

Hammock Parties
02-24-2006, 07:32 PM
Yet you didn't
:shake:

I meant top 10.

tk13
02-24-2006, 07:39 PM

Dallas
Green Bay
Indianapolis
Pittsburgh
Cincinatti

Denver
Tennessee
Houston
Baltimore
Cleveland
You're having some serious math problems today, aren't you?

DJay23
02-24-2006, 07:44 PM
I like the Steelers helmets. From what my Steelers friends tell me, one side is blank because back in the day, they only had enough money to put logos on one side of each helmet. So they kept it that way as a reminder that they come from a blue collar background, which is why they are so beloved in PA.

I love the Chiefs helmets and uniforms (though I am biased). I hate it what some nutsacks around here say things like, "I think we should add a little black and maybe a deeper red color." Bullshit! This ain't a fashion show, it's football. Put it on and go kick some ass!

Hammock Parties
02-24-2006, 07:45 PM
You're having some serious math problems today, aren't you?

No. I see 10 teams there.

rad
02-24-2006, 07:49 PM
I've always liked the old Redskins helmet
then the Chiefs is a close second

The ugliest have got to be the new Giants and the old and new Browns

CosmicPal
02-24-2006, 07:52 PM
I'll start with the classics- the ones that should never change. The team logos that symbolizes not only a team, but a strong, relentless fanbase, and should remain a team's icon:

CLASSICS

Chicago (It just works. The old plain white C was fine, but the modern version is even better)

Green Bay (It's just classic. You can't change it)

Kansas City (The arrowhead is perfect. It's a tribute to the stadium, the fans, and the grand history of the team)

Cowboys (Thank gawd they didn't have an actual cowboy, particularly now with the popularity of Brokeback Mountain)

Faiders (I've never cared for the silver and black colors, but the logo is right on. A pirate and coat of arms like symbol. A classic that should never change)

BEST HELMETS

Eagles (A good combination of colors and outstretched wings with the tips in the air as though a giant bird is descending upon you)

Chargers (Another good combination of colors and like the wings of the Eagles, a profound bolt of electric energy)

Vikings (Probably the best use of color combination in the league and much like the Eagles/Chargers, a rather large logo designed for intimidation)

Steelers (It's too bad they couldn't afford to put logos on each side of their helmets when they came into the league, but you can't fault a team for staying classic. The logo is the city, the workers, the fans, and there isn't a logo in the league that is more synonymous with it's fans than the Steelers. It's an absolute tribute to their fans. I respect that)

Broncs (I'm sorry, but I happen to think it's a major improvement over their past logos. The flaming orange mane and the fierceness in the horse works. I'm not too fond of the colors, but the logo works)

THE WORST

Browns (What the hell were these guys thinking when they not only named this team, but the colors, and the logo, and the helmet? I know they were making a tribute to Paul Brown, but looking at their helmet makes me want to puke. Let's change it already)

Rams (I've never been a fan of the old blue 'n white logo, and I'm not crazy about the gold 'n blue one either. The logo looks cheap and unlike the Chargers, Eagles, and Vikings- it just doesn't work)

Lions (It's time for a change. The lion itself looks like it's begging for help. It doesn't look menancing or intimidating at all. Change the colors, change the logo, erase all the pain of the past and start anew)

Ravens (Bleh! Nice colors, but what a terrible job with the logo! A B for an eye?? There is no eye in the Raven.)

Colts (This kinda goes with the lions. First of all, a colt is a baby horse. You can't get much pussier than that. Change the team name, the logo, and add some more colors and you might finally make it to the big one again)

rad
02-24-2006, 07:58 PM
Flaming?? Fierce?? sound Bronco-ish to me

Hammock Parties
02-24-2006, 08:22 PM
I think the Colts are as classic as it gets. And I should have added the Rams to my list...great helmet.

DJay23
02-24-2006, 08:44 PM
I think the Colts are as classic as it gets. And I should have added the Rams to my list...great helmet.
The Cleveland Rams are believed to be the first team to paint a logo on their helmet. It's a classic.

tommykat
02-24-2006, 08:49 PM
The Cleveland Rams are believed to be the first team to paint a logo on their helmet. It's a classic.

Thought it was SD now....:rolleyes:

cdcox
02-24-2006, 09:05 PM

They had actually moved to LA by the time the logos appeared. It was the idea of one of their players who was a graphics art major in college. He painted the first ones in his garage for a few $ a piece.

HemiEd
02-24-2006, 10:44 PM
I'll start with the classics- the ones that should never change. The team logos that symbolizes not only a team, but a strong, relentless fanbase, and should remain a team's icon:

CLASSICS

Chicago (It just works. The old plain white C was fine, but the modern version is even better)

Green Bay (It's just classic. You can't change it)

Kansas City (The arrowhead is perfect. It's a tribute to the stadium, the fans, and the grand history of the team)

Cowboys (Thank gawd they didn't have an actual cowboy, particularly now with the popularity of Brokeback Mountain)

Faiders (I've never cared for the silver and black colors, but the logo is right on. A pirate and coat of arms like symbol. A classic that should never change)

BEST HELMETS

Eagles (A good combination of colors and outstretched wings with the tips in the air as though a giant bird is descending upon you)

Chargers (Another good combination of colors and like the wings of the Eagles, a profound bolt of electric energy)

Vikings (Probably the best use of color combination in the league and much like the Eagles/Chargers, a rather large logo designed for intimidation)

Steelers (It's too bad they couldn't afford to put logos on each side of their helmets when they came into the league, but you can't fault a team for staying classic. The logo is the city, the workers, the fans, and there isn't a logo in the league that is more synonymous with it's fans than the Steelers. It's an absolute tribute to their fans. I respect that)

Broncs (I'm sorry, but I happen to think it's a major improvement over their past logos. The flaming orange mane and the fierceness in the horse works. I'm not too fond of the colors, but the logo works)

THE WORST

Browns (What the hell were these guys thinking when they not only named this team, but the colors, and the logo, and the helmet? I know they were making a tribute to Paul Brown, but looking at their helmet makes me want to puke. Let's change it already)

Rams (I've never been a fan of the old blue 'n white logo, and I'm not crazy about the gold 'n blue one either. The logo looks cheap and unlike the Chargers, Eagles, and Vikings- it just doesn't work)

Lions (It's time for a change. The lion itself looks like it's begging for help. It doesn't look menancing or intimidating at all. Change the colors, change the logo, erase all the pain of the past and start anew)

Ravens (Bleh! Nice colors, but what a terrible job with the logo! A B for an eye?? There is no eye in the Raven.)

Colts (This kinda goes with the lions. First of all, a colt is a baby horse. You can't get much pussier than that. Change the team name, the logo, and add some more colors and you might finally make it to the big one again)
\
Nice job, I agree with most of it except for the Raiders part. It should only be on toilet paper.

gblowfish
02-24-2006, 11:24 PM
I have a link on my Chiefs website that leads to a site that had the history of NFL helmets. At least I thought I did.

That site is gone now. No longer exists.

Damn! Guess I better run all the links on my site and fix the dead ones.

My favorite helmets (no particular order):
Old Washington Redskins 1960's helmet: Maroon with the spear. That's a tough looking helmet!
SD Chargers AFL helmets: White with Yellow Lightning bolts and player's number on the side ala Lance Alworth. The SD Powder Blue Unis are the bomb. That was the coolest AFL uni ever.
KC Chiefs: A classic. Chiefs uni's haven't changed much in 40 years.
Cincy Bengals: I kinda like their new uni's. Tiger stripes are very cool.

Bad Helmets:
Cleveland Browns: Baby shit orange and monkey shit brown. Echhhhhh...
Old Tampa Bay: With the homo pirate clutching a knife in his teeth...land ho!
NY Giants: With word "Giants" on the side. Classic "NY" is much better.
NE Pats: New helmet looks like a USFL team with Elvis as a mascot. Old helmet with the guy hiking the ball was retro, but kinda weird now.
Donks: New helmet horse looks like a penis. Appropriate for a bunch of penis-heads like Romo. The old Donk AFL helmets, orange or brown with a cartoon horse were hideous too. Their uni's have always been ugly.

When I was a kid, I used to get little plastic NFL helmets out of a gumball style machine at the grocery store. They cost .25 each, and evenutally I got them all. Now if you go to the Pro Football HOF on line store, you can buy sets of little plastic helmets. They have all the current teams, plus old style 1960's NFL and AFL. But DAMN, they're EXPENSIVE! $120 for a bunch of little plastic toy helmets!
Some pics (including some of the helmets I just mentioned) are below: