PDA

View Full Version : Would you be satisfied with these changes to the Defensive Line?

RedThat
02-24-2006, 11:32 AM
LE-Aaron Kampman (replaces Hicks)

DT-Sims (team drafts Dusty Dvoracek in rd #3, backup DT, substitute role)

DT-Grady Jackson(replaces Lional Dalton, Browning backup DT)

RE-Jared Allen

*I think this doable, and realistic. We can possibly afford both Kampman and Jackson. And there is a good possibly Dvoracek will be sitting there in rd 3 when we pick.

Mecca
02-24-2006, 11:34 AM
Aaron Kampman isn't a player I want, he's another high motor lower talent guy........Grady Jackson would be a good move though.

We're probably going to end up with Hicks for another year wanting to replace 2 Dlineman in a down free agency year when the team is identifying corner and safety as big needs is asking alot.

The Bad Guy
02-24-2006, 11:35 AM
I wouldn't want Grady Jackson.

I think that Simeon Rice is available and I would pursue a trade with the Bucs for say a 3rd rounder first.

We wouldn't have to pay a signing bonus and the 30% rule wouldn't take effect with a trade.

Mecca
02-24-2006, 11:36 AM
I wouldn't want Grady Jackson.

I think that Simeon Rice is available and I would pursue a trade with the Bucs for say a 3rd rounder first.

We wouldn't have to pay a signing bonus and the 30% rule wouldn't take effect with a trade.

ROFL

I have a better chance of winning the lottery than we do of acquiring Simeon Rice. His base salary is giant which means you'd have to give him a new contract which means big signing bonus.......

JohnnyV13
02-24-2006, 11:40 AM
Kampman is hardly any better than Hicks.

And I REALLY don't like Grady Jackson. He's prone to be lazy and I don't like that attitude.

But...with Kyle Vanden Bosch resigned and Abraham tagged, there aren't any FA DE's i like very much. I might consider Darren Howard, but even then I wouldn't want to put big money into him.

Now...i REALLY like Rocky Bernard of seattle at DT. So instead of your two moves, I make one move. The problem is, Bernard is the best DT on the FA market and THAT might be rather expensive.

Unfortunately, I think we might have to go to the draft for D line help. And, with King Carl targeting secondary as a draft need, I'm not sure we can get that done.

Draft needs:

CB
S
DL
OL
WR

RedThat
02-24-2006, 11:49 AM
Kampman is hardly any better than Hicks.

And I REALLY don't like Grady Jackson. He's prone to be lazy and I don't like that attitude.

But...with Kyle Vanden Bosch resigned and Abraham tagged, there aren't any FA DE's i like very much. I might consider Darren Howard, but even then I wouldn't want to put big money into him.

Now...i REALLY like Rocky Bernard of seattle at DT. So instead of your two moves, I make one move. The problem is, Bernard is the best DT on the FA market and THAT might be rather expensive.

Unfortunately, I think we might have to go to the draft for D line help. And, with King Carl targeting secondary as a draft need, I'm not sure we can get that done.

Draft needs:

CB
S
DL
OL
WR

True. You gotta point. Grady Jackson is a bit lazy. Trouble is, I can't think of any DT's out there in FA better than Jackson. I mean, aside from Bernard, we know he is going to come at a hefty cost. He is probably the best guy available at the DT position.

Kampman would be a fine addition. But you're right, he is hardly better than Hicks.

How about this scenario:

LE-Darren Howard(replaces Hicks)

DT-Ryan Sims

DT-Haloti Ngata(in an absolute shocker, he falls to 20th)

RE-Jared Allen

The Bad Guy
02-24-2006, 11:55 AM
ROFL

I have a better chance of winning the lottery than we do of acquiring Simeon Rice. His base salary is giant which means you'd have to give him a new contract which means big signing bonus.......

Then pass. I didn't realize he had a huge base salary.

But, the 30% rule is going to kill just about any deal for us regardless now without a new CBA.

I don't want Grady Jackson's unmotivated ass on our D-line - that's for sure.

Yeah, he'll give you about 3 great plays a game, but the Packers run D hasn't been anything respectable with him and the Saints sent him packing after just one season.

ct
02-24-2006, 11:57 AM
True. You gotta point. Grady Jackson is a bit lazy. Trouble is, I can't think of any DT's out there in FA better than Jackson. I mean, aside from Bernard, we know he is going to come at a hefty cost. He is probably the best guy available at the DT position.

Kampman would be a fine addition. But you're right, he is hardly better than Hicks.

How about this scenario:

LE-Darren Howard(replaces Hicks)

DT-Ryan Sims

DT-Haloti Ngata(in an absolute shocker, he falls to 20th)

RE-Jared Allen

Well yeah sure, I'd love that. I'm also on record that I'd love to get Hali and Watson in the 1st/2nd. I'd guess the 2 options are equally unrealistic.

MOhillbilly
02-24-2006, 12:02 PM
Yea i love The Grady. IMO him and Allen is all thats needed for a d-line.

Mecca
02-24-2006, 12:03 PM
Then pass. I didn't realize he had a huge base salary.

But, the 30% rule is going to kill just about any deal for us regardless now without a new CBA.

I don't want Grady Jackson's unmotivated ass on our D-line - that's for sure.

Yeah, he'll give you about 3 great plays a game, but the Packers run D hasn't been anything respectable with him and the Saints sent him packing after just one season.

Well then in that case there aren't any DT's that exactly fit what we need. We can't put 2 smallish DT's out there unless well we're going to the full time cover 2.

RedThat
02-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Well yeah sure, I'd love that. I'm also on record that I'd love to get Hali and Watson in the 1st/2nd. I'd guess the 2 options are equally unrealistic.

I don't know about them being unrealistic. It is a possiblity. Last year, some people we're saying we wouldn't get Derrick Johnson and we ended up getting him. So you never know?

Ngata could possibly fall to us at 20.

These are my top 10 rated prospects in this years draft, if you look at them, I'd say Ngata(according to me) won't be a top 10 pick.

All these guys are going to be taken ahead of him imo:

-Reggie Bush, RB USC
-Matt Leinart, QB USC
-Vince Young, QB Texas
-A.J. Hawk, OLB Ohio State
-D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT Virgnia Tech
-Mario Williams, DE NC State
-Jay Cutler, QB Vanderbilt
-Michael Huff, DB Texas
-Deangelo Williams, RB Memphis
-Ernie Sims, LB Florida State

*Then from 11-20. It is very very possible. Look at all the teams from 11-20.

11. St.Louis Rams(They concern me, they appear to be thin at DT...But, if Vernon Davis is sitting there at 11, I don't think this team would hesitate to take him. After all, they do need a TE.)

12. Cleveland Browns(they concern me as well, as they have expressed interest in Ngata...or the possibilty of adding a pass rusher to their defense)

13. Baltimore(they have their NT in Kelly Gregg)

14. Philadelphia(their expressing interest in Kendric Clancy, they have Darwin Walker and Hollis Thomas, plus Mike Patterson. They ain't drafting Ngata)

15. Atlanta(bah.....they have their man, in Rod Coleman)

16. Miami(They have expressed concerns about drafting offense...primarily on the offensive line)

17. Minnesota(don't see them drafting Ngata...They have addressed their Defensive through several years of drafting lineman. i.e., Kenechi Udeze, Erasumus James, Kevin Williams....Plus, signing Pat Williams...Nope, they ain't drafting Ngata)

18. Dallas(their looking at drafting offense)

19. San Diego(they have their man in Jamal Williams)

*Ngata is a very good possibilty at #20

Mecca
02-24-2006, 12:23 PM
Sims is not going ahead of Ngata, Sims is a fringe first rounder.

Ngata won't get out of the top 10 hes a nose 3-4 type of DT. The Jets and 49ers will take serious looks and if they pass there's no way he goes by Buffalo.

RedThat
02-24-2006, 12:33 PM
Sims is not going ahead of Ngata, Sims is a fringe first rounder.

Ngata won't get out of the top 10 hes a nose 3-4 type of DT. The Jets and 49ers will take serious looks and if they pass there's no way he goes by Buffalo.

Those teams have a lot of needs to fill. you don't think those teams will take the far better rated prospects than Ngata? Think about it?

The Jets would probably draft an OT. Or, you never know, maybe a QB? Say the Pennington situation gets out of hand, and they're forced to release him?Martin is old, heck they could trade up and get Reggie Bush? The 49ers could use another LBer. After all, Julian Peterson is gone. The 49ers could possibly use a safety like Michael Huff.

Buffalo? They could use Michael Huff. Say Eric Moulds is no longer with the team, they could possibly add another WR?

*Believe me, these teams have a lot of other weaknesses exploited than just a NT. I don't see them taking Ngata.

Mecca
02-24-2006, 12:36 PM
Those teams have a lot of needs to fill. you don't think those teams will take the far better rated prospects than Ngata? Think about it?

The Jets would probably draft an OT. Or, you never know, maybe a QB? Say the Pennington situation gets out of hand, and they're forced to release him?Martin is old, heck they could trade up and get Reggie Bush? The 49ers could use another LBer. After all, Julian Peterson is gone. The 49ers could possibly use a safety like Michael Huff.

Buffalo? They could use Michael Huff. Say Eric Moulds is no longer with the team, they could possibly add another WR?

*Believe me, these teams have a lot of other weaknesses exploited than just a NT. I don't see them taking Ngata.

There is no way the Bills will pick a safety in the top 10, Marv Levy covets lineman. Plus if you know Jauron his 1 successful year as a head coach came with 2 mammoth DT's controlling things.

beer bacon
02-24-2006, 12:45 PM
I would be all for this. I like Kampman and Grady. I would still want to draft somebody like Hali in the 1st if we could get our hands on him.

Mecca
02-24-2006, 12:46 PM
If you guys want Kampman we might aswell keep Hicks and save the money, they're basically the same thing.

What's up with no one around here wanting 2 ends that get sacks. I mean having 2 solid pass rushers has killed that Panther defense........Bears too.

RedThat
02-24-2006, 12:47 PM
There is no way the Bills will pick a safety in the top 10, Marv Levy covets lineman. Plus if you know Jauron his 1 successful year as a head coach came with 2 mammoth DT's controlling things.

They still have Sam Adams. Maybe they'll pick up Grady Jackson?

Im acting silly

:p

Im just pimping Ngata. But you do have a point, they need another DT. I still wouldn't rule out the possibility of them taking Michael Huff. You never know man? Strange things happen in this league. That what makes it so great.

Troy Vincent is practically DONE. So they're gonna need a Safety that can cover the center of the field.

Mecca
02-24-2006, 12:50 PM
They still have Sam Adams. Maybe they'll pick up Grady Jackson?

Im acting silly

:p

Im just pimping Ngata. But you do have a point, they need another DT. I still wouldn't rule out the possibility of them taking Michael Huff. You never know man? Strange things happen in this league. That what makes it so great.

Troy Vincent is practically DONE. So they're gonna need a Safety that can cover the center of the field.

They have a kid from Tennessee who's got some talent behind Vincent if they want to make that change.

The only way they pass on Ngata is if Mario Williams somehow ends up available at thier pick. Then if that happens Ngata gets jumped all over by Cleveland who's trying to build a 3-4.

If you wanna give Mike Huff to a team in the top 10 reaching for an athelete, it's the Raiders. It would be a very typical Davis move.

RedThat
02-24-2006, 12:50 PM
If you guys want Kampman we might aswell keep Hicks and save the money, they're basically the same thing.

What's up with no one around here wanting 2 ends that get sacks. I mean having 2 solid pass rushers has killed that Panther defense........Bears too.

Mecca, Im ok with that. However, after watching this team, this past year, it is evident they lack a TRUE DT. Their no push up the middle? We don't have a guy in the interior of our line that can be disruptive, and prevent the QB from stepping up and making plays.

*A DT should be a top priority. Im not gonna say #1, but a top priority

Mecca
02-24-2006, 12:53 PM
Mecca, Im ok with that. However, after watching this team, this past year, it is evident they lack a TRUE DT. Their no push up the middle? We don't have a guy in the interior of our line that can be disruptive, and prevent the QB from stepping up and making plays.

*A DT should be a top priority. Im not gonna say #1, but a top priority

In a way I hate talking about this because I have almost no faith in this team to draft a competent player in the draft let alone a DT. I hope Herm knows talent because it's quite evident Gunther doesn't.

RedThat
02-24-2006, 12:57 PM
In a way I hate talking about this because I have almost no faith in this team to draft a competent player in the draft let alone a DT. I hope Herm knows talent because it's quite evident Gunther doesn't.

Oh I know what you're saying. Every time I look back and see how this team drafted, especially at the DT position,.....I just go
:shake:

Lzen
02-24-2006, 02:32 PM
Who's Aaron Kampman?

beer bacon
02-24-2006, 02:38 PM
Who's Aaron Kampman?

DE for the Packers last season. he had 81 tackles and 6.5 sacks.

Mojo Rising
02-25-2006, 04:00 AM
Ngata is the second best defensive player available this year. There is no way he will be there at #20. Plus, he is a DT. DT's always get drafted higher than they should (see Ryan Sims.)

CoMoChief
02-25-2006, 04:05 AM
I'd take Rodrique Wright in a later round than Jackson. Then we shoud focus on DE in the first round.

Tribal Warfare
02-25-2006, 04:26 AM
I'd take Rodrique Wright in a later round than Jackson. Then we shoud focus on DE in the first round.

I want the BAA in the first which it could be Hali, Watson, or Bunkley

Alphaman
02-25-2006, 12:27 PM
I'd take a very strong look at Andre Carter at DE from SF. They moved him to OLB last year in their 3-4 and he didn't do well. However as a DE, he averaged about 8 sacks when playing a full season.

At DT I like Bernard or Maake Kemoeatu.

Add Woodson or Ty Law and we are good to go.

dj56dt58
02-25-2006, 01:46 PM
I wouldn't be satisfied with Neil Smith, Michael Strahan, Reggie White, and Buck Buchanan all in their primes unless it won us a SB.