PDA

View Full Version : Drew Brees possibly leaving the division?

BigChiefFan
02-24-2006, 03:57 PM
On ESPN, John Clayton has stated that Drew Brees WON'T be retained by the Chargers and that the Miami Dolphins are the early favorite to go after him. Maybe I missed this on the board, but I'm surprised nobody is discussing the possibility of Brees leaving the division. Thoughts?

Reaper16
02-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Miami + Brees = playoffs

kcfanXIII
02-24-2006, 04:03 PM
so SD is gonna go with rivers? i think thats gonna flop.

nychief
02-24-2006, 04:05 PM
I bet Miami and the Jets will go after him. He'd be a fool not to consider the Dolphins...bright future down there.

JBucc
02-24-2006, 04:07 PM
He needs to go to Miami. Warm weather, good recievers and running game even without pothead.

CoMoChief
02-24-2006, 04:08 PM
Chargers + Rivers = 6-10

Mile High Mania
Yeah, Miami has a lot of upside the next few years, there's a nice young core of players.

CoMoChief
He needs to go to Miami. Warm weather, good recievers and running game even without pothead.

Plus a TE similar to Gates in Randy McMichael

BigChiefFan
02-24-2006, 04:10 PM
This is starting to sound like Grbac vs. Gannon part two.

Mr. Laz
02-24-2006, 04:11 PM
i will be shocked ...

stupid move by the chargers unless the brees injury is career threatening.

Bowser
02-24-2006, 05:19 PM
i will be shocked ...

stupid move by the chargers unless the brees injury is career threatening.

Not like we haven't seen this from Marty before. :shake:

And buyer beware with Brees - it can take awhile to recover from torn Labrums.

Fire Me Boy!
02-24-2006, 05:32 PM
Chargers + Rivers = 6-10
I think that's wishful thinking... they have a solid defense that's only going to get better, and they still have LT. If they switch more to the traditional Martyball (which they could), they'll be fine. Still won't get them past the first round of the playoffs, but their record should be good enough to get them there, even with Rivers at QB.

beer bacon
02-24-2006, 05:35 PM
I think that's wishful thinking... they have a solid defense that's only going to get better, and they still have LT. If they switch more to the traditional Martyball (which they could), they'll be fine. Still won't get them past the first round of the playoffs, but their record should be good enough to get them there, even with Rivers at QB.

You are overestimating the Chargers. They went 9-7 last season, and despite all the hype LT gets, their run game was not really all that great. Their passing game was very important to them last season. Their defense is not anywhere near as good as our great defenses in the 90s.

They need a good offense, not just an offense that won't choke the season away until the playoffs.

Fire Me Boy!
02-24-2006, 05:38 PM
I think their run game wasn't that good last year because they primarily went to the air, and with Brees, Gates and LT out of the backfield, who could blame them?

No, their defense isn't as good as KC in 1995 or 1997, but they are good, and they are young. They'll be better next year than they were this year. I may be overestimating them, but I think BSPimpDude is seriously underestimating them.

morphius
02-24-2006, 06:20 PM
I think this is like the 4th thread at least on this, just not from Clayton.

This seems like a Marty type move, but it makes sense just the same if you can't afford both you go with the younger, uninjured one sometimes. Though I hope they blow up in their faces.

Mojo Rising
02-25-2006, 03:09 AM
Brees should follow the QB guru - Shottenheimer, to NYJ. He'll be the next Joe Montana.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-25-2006, 06:03 AM
This is starting to sound like Grbac vs. Gannon part two.

somewhere out there, SD Brees stalker's daddy is getting the gleam

greg63
02-25-2006, 06:32 AM
On ESPN, John Clayton has stated that Drew Brees WON'T be retained by the Chargers and that the Miami Dolphins are the early favorite to go after him. Maybe I missed this on the board, but I'm surprised nobody is discussing the possibility of Brees leaving the division. Thoughts?

YEAY! Bu-bye!

Brock
02-25-2006, 09:59 AM
They spent a very high draft pick on Rivers. If it isn't time to find out what you've got with him, it never will be.

cdcox
02-25-2006, 11:22 AM
It's decision time in SD:

a) a very good, proven QB with an injured shoulder that needs a huge contract to retain

b) an uproven, high-potential QB with a resonable contract

If you go route a) you almost have to keep Rivers for next season as a back up in case Brees shoulder doesn't heal well. If you wanted to trade Rivers, you'd be doing very well to get a late first round pick for him. If Brees isn't able to come back, you've saddled yourself with that contract for nothing.

If you let Brees go, you are going with the plan that you made 2 years ago. If he works out, your franchise could be set at QB for years, and at a very reasonable cap number for the next few years. The Chargers would be in great cap shape. Even if Rivers turns out to be not so great, you still have enough talent to win with the Martyball option while you look for a QB again.

Option A is a little safer (holding on to Rivers for another year, just in case), option B has the greater up side. Brees shoulder injury made it a tough decision.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-25-2006, 11:37 AM
there was an article this morning that says if Farve retires the Packers will have the most money to go after Brees. Jets, Bears, Dolphins, Lions, Packers...

Mr. Laz
02-25-2006, 03:08 PM
there was an article this morning that says if Farve retires the Packers will have the most money to go after Brees. Jets, Bears, Dolphins, Lions, Packers...
you think the packers are going to sign another QB with that 1st round QB from last year on their roster?

jspchief
02-25-2006, 03:20 PM
The NFL just cleared and additional $11+ million in cap space for the Detroit Lions. Apparently they had a performance clause set for Shaun Rogers that will default if there is no new CBA or something like that.

Anyway, the feeling is that 12 million will go towards making a serious run at Brees.

Frankie
02-25-2006, 04:32 PM
My Dolphins fan brother in Indiana will be thrilled with this. He really wanted Brees for the Phins when the Bolts drafted him.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-25-2006, 05:33 PM
you think the packers are going to sign another QB with that 1st round QB from last year on their roster?

Rodgers was the best available athlete, he really fell. Following in Farve's footsteps won't be easy.....uhh...legend wise. The Packers have the #5 pick. The Brees talk could be all about working a trade for #5, several teams need a QB. Maybe they would trade Rodgers. I see how they could be much better off if Brett hangs them up

Mr. Laz
02-25-2006, 05:36 PM
The NFL just cleared and additional $11+ million in cap space for the Detroit Lions. Apparently they had a performance clause set for Shaun Rogers that will default if there is no new CBA or something like that.
Damnit Carl! :cuss:

Mr. Laz
02-25-2006, 05:37 PM
Rodgers was the best available athlete, he really fell. Following in Farve's footsteps won't be easy.....uhh...legend wise. The Packers have the #5 pick. The Brees talk could be all about working a trade for #5, several teams need a QB. Maybe they would trade Rodgers. I see how they could be much better off if Brett hangs them up
the problem is that they have already paid the signing bonus for Rodgers.

trading him makes that all hit

i just don't see that happening ... maybe they will sign a guy like Dilfer, but not a prime guy.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-25-2006, 05:44 PM
the problem is that they have already paid the signing bonus for Rodgers.

trading him makes that all hit

i just don't see that happening ... maybe they will sign a guy like Dilfer, but not a prime guy.

Brees to the Lions makes sense. Knocking off Harrington shouldn't be much of a problem. Three top WRs. Martz is pass happy. The GM wouldn't bat an eyelash about overpaying. He has played for a laughing stock before only to see it rise above it