View Full Version : Teicher: T-Rich ready to test free agent market

tk13
02-25-2006, 02:30 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13956936.htm

T-Rich is good to go
Fullback prepared to become free agent

By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Fullback Tony Richardson for years had the look of someone who would finish his career with the Chiefs.

He arrived in 1995, making Richardson second in terms of seniority among active Chiefs behind Will Shields. He quickly became ingrained in the community with his involvement in charity and civic endeavors. That, along with his two Pro Bowl appearances, made him one of the Chiefs’ most popular players.

But Richardson’s contract expires next week, and it’s looking as if he will finish his career playing against the Chiefs rather than for them. He certainly sounds like a man preparing for that eventuality.

“I definitely will become a free agent,” Richardson said. “This organization has been great to me. It’s allowed me to grow as a man and as a football player. I’ve got a lot going on in the community. But I’m open to playing somewhere else if I can’t work something out here.

“It could become a reality. It’s a business, and it’s about what the organization wants to do. You have to be realistic about the situation.”

Richardson heads a short list of Chiefs players who would become unrestricted free agents on Friday. The only other regular is defensive tackle Lional Dalton.

Richardson indicated his preference was to remain with the Chiefs and didn’t rule out the possibility he would eventually re-sign. He said he recently spoke at length with new Chiefs coach Herm Edwards but wouldn’t reveal whether he was told he was no longer part of their plans.

The facts seem to speak against his return. He was used on roughly one-third of the plays last season, and it’s difficult to see how a team like the Chiefs facing a salary-cap overage of more than $20 million can dig deep into its pockets for a part-time player.

Richardson is also 34, another fact working against him. In a recent video interview on the Chiefs’ Web site, Edwards indicated the need for the Chiefs to find more youth.

“When we arrived at the Jets, we were the second-oldest team in pro football,” Edwards said. “The Raiders were first, and we were second. Eventually, we started to turn the roster a little bit, and that will happen here. It will happen in the next couple of years where the roster will become younger.

“I’m not saying I’m trying to run veteran guys out of here, because I’m not. I’m trying to make sure we have young players that are learning how to play early so that when we make the transition and that happens, they’ll have experience.”

Fullback is one of those spots where the Chiefs might opt for a younger player at a lower salary than the $1.25 million Richardson made last season. They have often preferred to use a second tight end or a third wide receiver rather than a fullback, so that’s one position where youth might not cost them as much.

The Chiefs’ only other fullback with regular-season NFL experience is Ronnie Cruz, a first-year player last year. Cruz played rarely other than on special teams.

None of that is lost on Richardson, who acknowledged that he would miss being a part of the Chiefs’ high-scoring offense if he leaves. But as the son of a military man who moved often while Richardson was a youngster, he is used to pulling up roots.

Richardson faces an uncertain market. Fullbacks rarely get top money. Neither do most 34-year-olds.

“It’s kind of hard to say what’s out there,” he said. “I have some positives, and I have some things working against me.

“That’s part of the fun. I’ve never been a free agent before.”
Richardson is a versatile fullback who can run and catch, but his strength is as a lead blocker and pass protector. He was a major factor in the touchdown record Priest Holmes set in 2003 and Larry Johnson’s phenomenal season last year.

He can only hope those achievements weigh heavier than his age.

“Teams will put a value on what you can do and not how old you are,” Richardson said. “Everyone wears down eventually, but I still believe I can play at a high level. I feel like I’m a young 34. I’m durable. I lined up all 16 games last year, played in pain like everybody does and got the job done.”

Smed1065
02-25-2006, 02:36 AM
Money, Money!

ZootedGranny
02-25-2006, 02:38 AM
WHAT

THE

If T-Rich isn't brought back, I will be absolutely digusted.

the Talking Can
02-25-2006, 02:41 AM
boy, he's one of my favorite players ever....he understands the business though, hopefully when he retires he'll retire as a Chief ( a la Smith at Dallas)...good luck Tony, you are class...

Ultra Peanut
02-25-2006, 02:52 AM
NO

CoMoChief
02-25-2006, 02:57 AM
I understand its a business and everything, but.................................YOU GOTTA BE SHITTIN" ME!!!!!!!

ChiefsFanatic
02-25-2006, 03:02 AM
WHAT

THE

If T-Rich isn't brought back, I will be absolutely digusted.

I agree. Only, I will be disgusted.

Rausch
02-25-2006, 03:06 AM
I'd hate to see him leave. He's been a quality guy, LJ's main lockerroom buddy, and an outstanding FB.

That said, there are a ton of Blocking-FB options this offseason. Hell, Herm has ties with Alstott (who's also a FA.)

CoMoChief
02-25-2006, 03:12 AM
I'd hate to see him leave. He's been a quality guy, LJ's main lockerroom buddy, and an outstanding FB.

That said, there are a ton of Blocking-FB options this offseason. Hell, Herm has ties with Alstott (who's also a FA.)

wouldnt he want pretty good FA money as well, I mean for a FB that is??? If thats the case then I would rather pay a little more for TRich.

Smed1065
02-25-2006, 03:17 AM
I would be glad to give him the top 5 FB in the league salary!

Smed1065
02-25-2006, 03:23 AM

Might be true but if LJ is what I hear he is-- why does it matter. I did hear voices last year but I give the proven person first---- not fan favorites. If he belives-- NP-- We will just tell LJ he suks and to prove me WRONG!

tk13
02-25-2006, 03:25 AM
wouldnt he want pretty good FA money as well, I mean for a FB that is??? If thats the case then I would rather pay a little more for TRich.
I think our lack of cap room is going to be the biggest problem in doing that. This whole offseason is just one giant mess. If they don't get a new CBA passed, the cap is going to be a smaller number and we're going to have to do a lot more work to get under the cap than we would if they passed a new bargaining agreement. Carl said the other day that he basically has two different offseason plans, depending on what happens in the next week or so.

Deberg_1990
02-25-2006, 03:36 AM
I thought Kris Wilson could play FB when he was drafted???? hahaha.......Id hate tlo see T-Rich leave, but business is business.....

beer bacon
02-25-2006, 03:44 AM

Alstott is in no way a blocking FB. Many fans hated Alstott for years because he kept getting voted to the Pro Bowl while real FBs had to stay home.

kcxiv
02-25-2006, 03:53 AM
if you gotta go you gotta go. We need some D.

Ultra Peanut
02-25-2006, 04:20 AM
Might be true but if LJ is what I hear he is-- why does it matter. I did hear voices last year but I give the proven person first---- not fan favorites. If he belives-- NP-- We will just tell LJ he suks and to prove me WRONG!'kay.

Rausch
02-25-2006, 05:19 AM
Alstott is in no way a blocking FB. Many fans hated Alstott for years because he kept getting voted to the Pro Bowl while real FBs had to stay home.

I'm not saying he's perfect.

Alstott couldn't catch herpes in a Mexican brothel, but he can block and (short yardage) run.

TRich is the better blocker (though I'd say a toss up in run blocking) and Alstott is the better ball carrier.

And we do have to cut cap. Even more if a new CBA isn't signed.

THough, to be honest, if there isn't one I'll cease to give a ****. I'll hang for this year then be done with it if they don't keep the cap...

go bo
02-25-2006, 05:46 AM
you're just cranky because you're up at this unGodly hour...

HemiEd
02-25-2006, 06:23 AM
I think he is pretty important to our running game. He really pops people, give him his money Carl.

greg63
02-25-2006, 06:30 AM
I think he is pretty important to our running game. He really pops people, give him his money Carl.

Ditto! :thumb:

Dave Lane
02-25-2006, 06:50 AM
As nuch as I love T Rich and I've met him and talked with him this is a posistion that we can find younger depth at. Hate to see him go but it will have to happen someday.

Dave

Red Dawg
02-25-2006, 07:07 AM
This is bullshit!

Skip Towne
02-25-2006, 07:18 AM
Tommykat ain't gonna like this. She'll rant and rave but nobody will understand what she is saying. It's all good.

Bwana
02-25-2006, 07:18 AM
This stuff is going to happen. I hate to see him go though. Welcome to todays NFL.

greg63
02-25-2006, 07:35 AM
This stuff is going to happen. I hate to see him go though. Welcome to todays NFL.

...Unfortunately. :banghead:

JBucc
02-25-2006, 07:35 AM
Shit

Fat Elvis
02-25-2006, 08:22 AM
I love T-Rich, but he was making waaaay too much money for a FB. Let him test the FA waters; RBs are a dime a dozen, FB even more so simply because some teams just don't really use them anymore. If he wants to play at his age, he will have to come cheap. No one will overpay for a fullback. Except Carl Peterson.

Kylo Ren
02-25-2006, 08:57 AM
T-Rich is more important to our short yardage, goalline offense and pass protection than people realize. He's vital. He's the best FB in the NFL. More than 1/2 of Priests TD's were, in part, due to T-Rich. Trent Green is still walking around a healthy man due to T-Rich. Also, and maybe most importantly, T-Rich is a great leader in the locker room and mentor to young RB/FBs. I remember that Larry Johnson once said that T-Rich was greatly influential on him, helped change his attitude and taught him allot about blocking and how to be a top notch RB. I hope that CP is just posturing and playing hardball. I really pray that, in the end, CP comes to his senses and resigns T-Rich. T-Rich needs to retire as a Chiefs. I don't know if he's accomplished enough on the field, but I'd be half temped to put him on the Arrowhead ring of honor. That's how highly I think of him.

Bowser
02-25-2006, 08:57 AM
This is unacceptable.

jspchief
02-25-2006, 09:02 AM
I'm sorry, but I can't justify big money to keep a 34 year old FB. I believe Richardson is an important piece of our running game, but there's a line that has to be drawn.

Personally, I hope he finds out that no one else wants to spend big on an aging FB either. If not, we can look towards guys like Gerald Sowell who was just cut by NYJ. He's a decent blocking back, but can't do much else.

Maybe we can get that f*cking waste of oxygen Kris Wilson to finally perform one of the thousands of tasks our coaches claimed he'd be able to perform.

The Bad Guy
02-25-2006, 09:03 AM
You can't pump a lot of money into the fullback when we have other needs.Yeah, T-Rich would be nice. But he's 34. You can't give him a long contract especially with the CBA.

Bowser
02-25-2006, 09:10 AM
You can't pump a lot of money into the fullback when we have other needs.Yeah, T-Rich would be nice. But he's 34. You can't give him a long contract especially with the CBA.

I'm not saying we should shell out a 5 mil signing bonus for a fullback that we are seemingly phasing out of our offense, but what's wrong with sgning him to a 2 year, 2.5 mil contract? It's not like the guy hasn't earned a contract around those numbers. And I'd much rather see him end his career here than go sit on the Bronco sideline making the vet. minimum.

StcChief
02-25-2006, 09:11 AM
Good luck T-Rich. hope you don't end up screwed over this with league minimum or something small somewhere else.

Would have been nice to see you retire as a Chief.

Hoover
02-25-2006, 09:18 AM
Is Kimball Andrews or Donnie Bennett still out there? :D

Hoover
02-25-2006, 09:18 AM
Wait, whight about the Mighty Joe Hall you terds had a hard on for?

the Talking Can
02-25-2006, 09:37 AM
Wait, whight about the Mighty Joe Hall you terds had a hard on for?

he's a wide receiver in the arena league....

HC_Chief
02-25-2006, 09:39 AM
Unless we have a legit target in the draft or someone on the roster none of us know about, I think it would be stupid to let T-Rich walk. The man is the best run-blocker we have. He is essentially a third OG... he neutralizes defenders at the second level, which allows our RBs to gain extra yardage. Letting T-Rich walk w/o havin an EQUAL player will hurt out running game.

BigRock
02-25-2006, 11:08 AM
Let him test the market... how much action is he really going to see in free agency? Is there a team out there looking to pay good money to a 34 year old FB? Just because he wants to weigh his options doesn't mean he's leaving.

beavis
02-25-2006, 11:54 AM
How much would someone possibly pay for a 34 year old fullback?

Bob Dole
02-25-2006, 12:19 PM
Accoring to the NFLPA, TRich's 2005 salary was more than all but 19 running backs in the league.

Of course that doesn't factor in signing bonueses, etc., but $1.25m is a lot to pay a part-time blocking back.

Bob Dole hopes that Carl makes him a fair offer to continue playing with KC.

Otter
02-25-2006, 12:41 PM

Alstott is a hell of a fullback, I would love to see him brought in.

T-Rich is going to be OK no matter what happens. Sad to see him go but this is Herm's Team now, expect change.

raypec85
02-25-2006, 12:42 PM
It would definitely stink to let go of T-Rich. Couldn't KC just franchise him? It surely isn't that expensive for a FB, unless they're classified together with HB's - in that case it would be too expensive.

T-Rich is a class act, the kind of player you like to cheer for and who is a great influence on the locker room (and on LJ). On the field, KC might miss his run and pass blocking more than they realize. I guess us fans will have to trust that with Solari in the OC position he won't let anything happen that would hamper effective blocking. Maybe Jason Dunn's presence would help fill the blocking void left by T-Rich.

raypec85
02-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Accoring to the NFLPA, TRich's 2005 salary was more than all but 19 running backs in the league.

Of course that doesn't factor in signing bonueses, etc., but $1.25m is a lot to pay a part-time blocking back.

Bob Dole hopes that Carl makes him a fair offer to continue playing with KC.

I agree - KC was paying him too much, but that's not the question any more. The question now is will KC pay him enough to keep him there going forward? There may not be another team that will pay him what KC was paying before so that he could possibly be kept in KC at a lower salary if the Chiefs are willing to pay whatever that amount is.

raypec85
02-25-2006, 12:54 PM
Alstott is a hell of a fullback, I would love to see him brought in.

I disagree. I'd rather have T-Rich than Alstott. Alstott's strengths aren't needed in KC.

Megbert
02-25-2006, 12:56 PM
Screw the greedy bastard. Get the F*ck out T-Rich. all you ever did was lead block for some of the best RB's in football. Oh and you were good in pass protection. Sure you did alot in KC for charity and so on. Heck you even got your Master's degree. And people call you a class act. Whatever.

Mr. Laz
02-25-2006, 12:58 PM
TRich was being paid a ton because he got his last contract when the team was still considering him for tailback.

i want TRich back ... but only for pure blocking fullback type money.

with larry johnson we use a fullback less as well ... we run more single back sets.

if Trich wants to come back for the league veteran minimum(750k per year) then cool.

phxchief
02-25-2006, 01:00 PM
LJ doesn't rely on T-Rich like Priest did.

Otter
02-25-2006, 01:06 PM
Screw the greedy bastard. Get the F*ck out T-Rich. all you ever did was lead block for some of the best RB's in football. Oh and you were good in pass protection. Sure you did alot in KC for charity and so on. Heck you even got your Master's degree. And people call you a class act. Whatever.

Let's all meet at his house with pitchforks and torches at 5pm this afternoon.

I'll bring matches and a gallon of whiskey.

The Bad Guy
02-25-2006, 01:08 PM
I'm not saying we should shell out a 5 mil signing bonus for a fullback that we are seemingly phasing out of our offense, but what's wrong with sgning him to a 2 year, 2.5 mil contract? It's not like the guy hasn't earned a contract around those numbers. And I'd much rather see him end his career here than go sit on the Bronco sideline making the vet. minimum.

Because T-Rich isn't going to accept a 2 year, 2.5 million dollar deal especially when he will get more on the open market.

The Bad Guy
02-25-2006, 01:10 PM
How much would someone possibly pay for a 34 year old fullback?

I don't know. I love T-Rich, but this team shouldn't pay him a lot when they have needs on defense.

T-Rich is great, but there are a lot of blocking backs out there.

The Bad Guy
02-25-2006, 01:11 PM

Seriously, go find another team to root for.

tk13
02-25-2006, 01:13 PM
Personally, if we have to let him go, I'd like to see what Ronnie Cruz can do. He was planting people in preseason. I remember one of the preseason games he ended up getting spotlighted during the highlights on SportsCenter because he flattened 2 or 3 guys.

UKMike
02-25-2006, 01:13 PM

You didn't detect a hint of sarcasm?!

Mr. Laz
02-25-2006, 01:14 PM

i believe AZ was taking a shot at all the people around here that are willing to let TRich go.

u might turn your sarcasm meter back on before all the TRUE FANS kick you outa of their study group.

Megbert
02-25-2006, 01:21 PM

[QUOTE=Laz]i believe AZ was taking a shot at all the people around here that are willing to let TRich go.

u might turn your sarcasm meter back on before all the TRUE FANS kick you outa of their study group.

Thanks it was sarcasm. I love T-Rich. I figured pointing out some of the good things he's done would have made that apparent that it was in fact sarcasm.

What the Chiefs need is more players ala Warfield. Dude gets DUI's like Paris Hilton gets VD's.

dtrain
02-25-2006, 01:21 PM
If T Rich does go I say draft the fullback out of USC. Can't think of his name but he can block, runs a 4.7, and catches the ball really well.

KCChiefsMan
02-25-2006, 01:23 PM
are you f*in' kidding me! WTF :cuss:

Lets all send emails asking him to stay, seriously

Chiefs Pantalones
02-25-2006, 01:27 PM
Locker room-wise, that's the only bad thing I see out of this possibility.

Otter
02-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Thanks it was sarcasm. I love T-Rich. I figured pointing out some of the good things he's done would have made that apparent that it was in fact sarcasm.

What the Chiefs need is more players ala Warfield. Dude gets DUI's like Paris Hilton gets VD's.

Good thing I kept the reciept on this pitchfork.

jspchief
02-25-2006, 01:32 PM
Take a look at what Mack and Neil are getting paid, and T-Rich belongs somewhere just under that. I believe he's not of their caliber, but close.

Hammock Parties
02-25-2006, 01:32 PM
Given the choice between T-Rich and a key defensive FA, I'll take the defensive player.

That said, T-Rich is old and I doubt he gets many offers. Carl will find a way to retain him, because Carl does take care of our established veterans. I'd like to see T-Rich go into the Ring of Fame someday.

The Bad Guy
02-25-2006, 02:07 PM

Nope.

My bad.

I think Carl is playing this the right way. If he lowballs T-Rich, he's gone for good. If he tests the market and doesn't get anything he likes, he comes back at the rate that CP wants.

Dunit35
02-25-2006, 02:27 PM
This sucks. I want T-Rich to stay. He deserves some money, too bad we don't have any. If he wants to stay here he would take vet. min.

cdcox
02-25-2006, 02:41 PM
When Richardson signed his last contract, he was a threat to run or make a big play by catching the ball. Those are no longer true. He's still a great blocker, but we can't afford to pay $1M a year for a situational blocker. Letting him test the waters is the smart move. Its better to let him go than to over pay him out of loyalty. Hopefully we'll get him back at a decent price.

Dunit35
02-25-2006, 02:45 PM
When Richardson signed his last contract, he was a threat to run or make a big play by catching the ball. Those are no longer true. He's still a great blocker, but we can't afford to pay $1M a year for a situational blocker. Letting him test the waters is the smart move. Its better to let him go than to over pay him out of loyalty. Hopefully we'll get him back at a decent price.

How much does Lorenzo Neal make? I wonder if anyone will pay T-Rich a mill a year? I don't see how anybody will. If nobody will I'm sure he will come back for vet. min and retire as a Chief.

Logical
02-25-2006, 02:50 PM
Good for T Rich I hope he gets a huge contract from somebody. The guy deserves a big big payday.

I would not be at all suprised to see him end up with the Redskins and Saunders.

cdcox
02-25-2006, 02:52 PM
How much does Lorenzo Neal make? I wonder if anyone will pay T-Rich a mill a year? I don't see how anybody will. If nobody will I'm sure he will come back for vet. min and retire as a Chief.

This could work out. Vet min for a player with 10+ years of experience is $750K, but it only counts $450K against the cap. I'm guessing that the full salary will count against the cap if any team offers over the minimum. A team is going to have to really want him to offer above vet min.

cdcox
02-25-2006, 02:59 PM
Good for T Rich I hope he gets a huge contract from somebody. The guy deserves a big big payday.

I would not be at all suprised to see him end up with the Redskins and Saunders.

His last contract (starting in 2000) was over $6M in base salary alone. I'll bet most of that is tucked away somewhere.

jspchief
02-25-2006, 03:00 PM
How much does Lorenzo Neal make? I wonder if anyone will pay T-Rich a mill a year? I don't see how anybody will. If nobody will I'm sure he will come back for vet. min and retire as a Chief.Lorenzo Neal made about 850k last year in base salary. Richardson made 1.25 mil

No offense to T-rich, but he's not half a million better than Neal, probably not better at all.

jspchief
02-25-2006, 03:02 PM

I would not be at all suprised to see him end up with the Redskins and Saunders.He got his big payday the last two years making over a million per, which is huge money for a FB.

He doesn't deserve anything more than he's already gotten.

Kerberos
02-25-2006, 03:18 PM
No one will overpay for a fullback. Except Carl Peterson.

WRONG :shake:

Exactly what I was thinking. Watch T-Rich block for the EX-Donk Portis and see him run for 2k in yards next season

The only problem is this year will be capped and the redskins are in the biggest cap hell known to modern man.

But if anyone can find a way around it is Daniel Snyder. :hmmm:

I hope we find a way to keep him and let him retire as a Chief.

But sad to say its a business and sometimes ya gotta cut a man loose.

Dunit35
02-25-2006, 03:21 PM
Lorenzo Neal made about 850k last year in base salary. Richardson made 1.25 mil

No offense to T-rich, but he's not half a million better than Neal, probably not better at all.

Then I wouldn't expect T-Rich to make more than Neal and I'm sure we can come up with 850k to resign him.

cdcox
02-25-2006, 03:22 PM
WRONG :shake:

Exactly what I was thinking. Watch T-Rich block for the EX-Donk Portis and see him run for 2k in yards next season

The only problem is this year will be capped and the redskins are in the biggest cap hell known to modern man.

But if anyone can find a way around it is Daniel Snyder. :hmmm:

I hope we find a way to keep him and let him retire as a Chief.

But sad to say its a business and sometimes ya gotta cut a man loose.

I really think this will be the year the 'skins pay. If they dropped every vet to league min, they would still be over the cap. No way are they going to dump near a million into a 34 yo FB.

jspchief
02-25-2006, 03:22 PM
Then I wouldn't expect T-Rich to make more than Neal and I'm sure we can come up with 850k to resign him.If we pay him the vet minimum, only a percentage of his salary affects the cap. My guess is that is close to vet min anyway. That would be ideal.

I love T-rich, but I hope no one wants to pay him.

cdcox
02-25-2006, 03:26 PM
If we pay him the vet minimum, only a percentage of his salary affects the cap. My guess is that is close to vet min anyway. That would be ideal.

Vet min is $750K, with only $450K counting agains the cap.

Dunit35
02-25-2006, 03:26 PM
If we pay him the vet minimum, only a percentage of his salary affects the cap. My guess is that is close to vet min anyway. That would be ideal.

I'm sure everyone loves T-Rich and he is probably one of the most respected KC players around. I'm sure some people will be upset if he leaves.

I just hope it is one of those things where Carl knows nobody will pay him a lot and will resign him cheap.

CoMoChief
02-25-2006, 03:28 PM

Theyre in even more cap hell than we are. They prob need something other than a FB whos wanting a big paycheck.

Demonpenz
02-25-2006, 03:29 PM
t rich has a masters degree can't be said enough

SLAG
02-25-2006, 04:30 PM
I'm sure everyone loves T-Rich and he is probably one of the most respected KC players around. I'm sure some people will be upset if he leaves.

I just hope it is one of those things where Carl knows nobody will pay him a lot and will resign him cheap.

I hope your right..

Logical
02-25-2006, 04:50 PM
Lorenzo Neal made about 850k last year in base salary. Richardson made 1.25 mil

No offense to T-rich, but he's not half a million better than Neal, probably not better at all.When I say big money, I just mean he deserves much more than league minimum and I hope the gets it with somebody. He is a good person and a quality player and I wish him the best.

listopencil
02-25-2006, 07:03 PM
The guy's a freaking plow with hands. I'd love to see my Broncos pick him up for a two year deal.