PDA

View Full Version : Median Home Price in your area?

BIG K
02-26-2006, 12:30 AM
I am considering leaving California in the next two to three years. I am curious what the average home prices are in your home town. I am currently planning a trip this summer to hit four different states looking at possible homesites. I would love any input from those here on the Planet that love where they live and to include Median home prices in their area. As it stands right now, the Median in my county is 608k. As you prolly already guessed, if I do make a move to another state, I'm looking to cash out wherever I decide to move....

Thank you in advance for any good info on places to live.

BIG K..

luv
02-26-2006, 12:33 AM
Not really for sure, as I have never been in the market of finding a house. I would say that the average, newer, 3 BR, 2 BA home around here cost around $200-250K.

chief52
02-26-2006, 12:35 AM
What county are you in?

BIG K
02-26-2006, 12:38 AM
What county are you in?

San Luis Obispo...You know, the REAL central coast as we are half way between S.F and L.A......

greg63
02-26-2006, 12:38 AM
You wouldn't want to move to my home town; trust me on this.

chief52
02-26-2006, 12:43 AM
San Luis Obispo...You know, the REAL central coast as we are half way between S.F and L.A......

:) Yes, things are going crazy. It has affected the market way up here in Humboldt Co. as well. I would say the median is up to 4k-5k now which is way up from 10 years ago. A lot of Californians in the cities have cashed out and move north. It is crazy. One thing that really sucks is my small town has gotten rather popular so a lot of retired people have moved in. The schools are dieing on the vine...none of the new people who can afford the houses have kids.

Simplex3
02-26-2006, 12:45 AM
You can get a nice 4bdr 3bath place in KC for ~$200k. If you've got $350k to spend you can get a really nice house.

Phobia
02-26-2006, 12:49 AM
Median? I'm guessing $150k.

If KC is a candidate let me know and I'll customize a really nice place for ya. You could roll half of it into a NICE place and pay capital gains tax on the rest.

Joe Seahawk
02-26-2006, 12:51 AM
Median here is about 390,000, but that doesn't get you much..

Here's a nice one, we could be neighbors!

http://www.windermere.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Listing.ListingDetail&ListingID=6363532

BIG K
02-26-2006, 12:51 AM
:) Yes, things are going crazy. It has affected the market way up here in Humboldt Co. as well. I would say the median is up to 4k-5k now which is way up from 10 years ago. A lot of Californians in the cities have cashed out and move north. It is crazy. One thing that really sucks is my small town has gotten rather popular so a lot of retired people have moved in. The schools are dieing on the vine...none of the new people who can afford the houses have kids.

I hear you. It's pretty sad here. According to recent polls, only 7% of the people who grew up in this county can afford to live here. Most of my neighbors are from L.A or San Jose. Thank God I bought my first house in 92' and have been able to upgrade over the years. Even though I make pretty good money, I would not be able to afford buying a house here if I had not already owned property....

Logical
02-26-2006, 12:55 AM
You can get a nice 4bdr 3bath place in KC for ~$200k. If you've got $350k to spend you can get a really nice house.I hope prices don't rise much there. I figure I am going to have somewhere between 600 and 750K in equity and I could buy a really nice place cash and have a nice nest egg for several years of supplemental income.

luv
02-26-2006, 02:37 AM
Where are you looking to move to? When? Why?

Oh wait, this isn't 20 questions. Sorry. Carry on.

HemiEd
02-26-2006, 08:51 AM
Median here is about 390,000, but that doesn't get you much..

Here's a nice one, we could be neighbors!

http://www.windermere.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Listing.ListingDetail&ListingID=6363532

The taxes on that million dollar place are the same as my 300k home is here.

StcChief
02-26-2006, 09:01 AM
STL ~200K

chief52
02-26-2006, 10:18 AM
Coincidentally, there is an article in the local paper this morning concerning this problem. While they do not list the median housing price, which I find rather odd, they do list the housing affordability index. The Housing Affordability Index for Humboldt County is 11 meaning that only 11% of households in can afford to buy the median price home here. Just three years ago in February of 2003 the index was 38.

Man, it is getting crazy.

KC Jones
02-26-2006, 10:36 AM
I don't know if Colorado is on your short list, but here's a quote for Denver housing:

The median price of an existing single-family home in Denver last month edged up 4.2 percent over January last year to $245,000 but was flat compared with December, continuing to signal a shift to a buyers' market.

The median price for condos dipped 1.3 percent from January 2005 to $155,000, according to statistics released Thursday.

from this article:

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_3493052

250K was my target price when I bought my house here last year and I ended up going to 315K to find everything we wanted in a 4BR/3BA 2600 sq ft house in good condition with a nice yard and a good local school.

redsurfer11
02-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Jersey Shore, about $450,000

DeepPurple
02-26-2006, 11:06 AM
The middle part of the country and the south are the only reasonable places to live, the eastcoast is right behind California in prices. I'm in the most economical area of the east, that's the Baltimore area. Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Washington DC are all very expensive, and it's all doubled in price the last five years.

Were 30 miles north of Baltimore, about ten miles outside the beltway. We purchased our new home in 1998 for $152K, it's 3 bedrooms and 2 full baths upstairs, a family room, living room, kitchen and dinning room with a half bath on the first floor and a finished basement with a half bath and laundry room and also a one car garage. The identical home sold last year for $375K, the price has come down recently, one across the street sold last month for $325K. That's still not bad considering we more than doubled the price of our home in seven years.

New home subdivisions now start at no less than $350K, but there isn't many in that price range and by the time you start adding a few extras it's over $400K. In most areas here in general, new homes start at $450K up to $700K. Many of the builders are now just building townhouses and condos so they can attrack more buyers. New Townhomes are starting in the mid 200's and condos in upper 100's to low 200's. Here's a link to a popular builder in our area Gemcraft New Homes (http://www.gemcrafthomes.com/Communities/Maryland/Cecil/Walnut_Lane/main.shtm)

In 1998 when we were shopping for our current home, our budget was $150K and we were lucky to find this one at the time. However, we went to Myrtle Beach, SC twice and that's one of the best areas on the eastcoast for the money. Actually South and North Carolina are much cheaper overall, but in Myrtle Beach you have over 100 golf courses and a lot of attractions although you get a heavy amount of tourist in the summer. I've always like ranchers and here in the Baltimore area you can only find multi-story homes. Back in 1998 in Myrtle Beach you could get a nice 3BR 2BA 2 Car garage rancher on a golf course lot for about $150K. I would imagine that's gone up a lot, but it's still probably a lot less than the Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York and Massachusetts areas. Another great area is Florida, especially in the central part around Ocala and the westcoast area north of Tampa.

chief52
02-26-2006, 12:57 PM
Coincidentally, there is an article in the local paper this morning concerning this problem. While they do not list the median housing price, which I find rather odd, they do list the housing affordability index. The Housing Affordability Index for Humboldt County is 11 meaning that only 11% of households in Humboldt can afford to buy the median price home. Just three years ago in February of 2003 the index was 38.

Man, it is getting crazy.