View Full Version : White Sox GM blasts the Big Hurt

BigChiefFan
02-27-2006, 11:08 AM
This is an entertaining story....

02/26/2006 6:43 PM ET
Williams angered by Thomas' comments
GM offended by slugger's perceived 'lack of respect'
By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

Ken Williams emphatically makes a point to manager Ozzie Guillen on Sunday. (Charles Rex Arbogast/AP)

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Ken Williams has spent more time traveling the "high road" over the last two seasons, with the acrimonious free agent departures of Magglio Ordonez and Frank Thomas, than he did on the parade route through Chicago, celebrating the team's first World Series title since 1917.
But on Sunday, the White Sox general manager reached his boiling point and moved his comments down the road less traveled.

In a question-and-answer session with a columnist from The Daily Southtown, running in Sunday's paper, Thomas continued his diatribe from Phoenix against the team that chose to not offer him a contract after 16 years of service. The interview was a little more direct and little harsher in tone than Thomas' past criticisms, after signing a free agent deal with Oakland.

It was nothing compared to Williams' return verbal volleys.

"As I read this, I have to ask myself, 'How long am I going to continue to take the high road on this?' before we defend ourselves and our organization," said Williams, who grew visibly angrier during the course of the six-minute interview.

"Believe me, it's not easy to deal with an idiot," Williams added of Thomas. "And this man over the course of the years has tried my patience and tried and tried it. If he was any kind of a man, he would quit talking about things in the paper and return a phone call or come knock on someone's door.

"If I had the kind of problems evidently he had with me, I would go knock on his door," Williams added.

The main problem Thomas has with the White Sox, according to the article, was the lack of respect he perceived to be shown him after close to two decades of productive service on the South Side. Thomas alternately claimed that he wasn't "trying to [tick] anyone off," but also lashed out at Williams and White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf.

Thomas reiterated a point that neither Williams nor Reinsdorf called him with the news that he wasn't being brought back until after the team traded for Jim Thome and re-signed Paul Konerko. Thomas also understood that the White Sox weren't going to pay $10 million, his player option for 2006, for an individual who hit 12 home runs over 105 at-bats last season -- albeit on one foot. Thomas also is recovering from a second fracture in the ankle on the plant foot of his swing, but Thomas claimed that his agent, Arn Tellem, had talked with Reinsdorf, and the White Sox chairman said they would renegotiate his contract for one year.

This direct criticism of Reinsdorf, who Williams said has been like a second father to many of the individuals who have been with the organization for the past two decades as Williams has, was more than the general manager could handle.

"Really, the things that he says about me, I couldn't care less. I don't respect the man enough to care what he says about me," Williams said. "What was more upsetting to me are the comments directed at the organization and at Jerry Reinsdorf.

News and features:

• White Sox GM fires back at Big Hurt
• White Sox young arms to get a look
• Sox notes: Uribe ready for switch
• White Sox happy to have Thome
• Sox notes: Gload up for challenge
• White Sox welcome Konerko to camp
Spring Training info:
• MLB.com coverage | Schedule | Ballpark | Tickets

"Jerry doesn't deserve that, particularly with regards to Frank. Jerry has done everything over the course of 16 years to protect that man, to make accommodations for him, concessions for him. He loaned him money, at times, when he needed money.

"For these back-handed comments, actually they aren't even back-handed anymore. They are full frontal smashes right in our face," Williams added. "For these to keep coming, and again, for him to turn his back on all the things Jerry has done. And this guy? This guy, of all people? Please."

Williams spoke of the little moments of great respect shown to Thomas by the team, with the Big Hurt throwing out the first ball in the opening game of the playoffs against Boston. Williams added that Thomas wasn't scheduled to speak at the victory celebration, but he gave Thomas the championship trophy so he could address his fans.

Along with a couple of attempts to reach Thomas by phone, which Williams claims were not returned, they also bumped into each other at a boxing card in Las Vegas before the Winter Meetings in Dallas. Thomas did not talk to Williams at that point, either.

"He's selfish. That's why we don't miss him, and we've held it in for far too long," Williams said. "I've got something to say directly to him, and I'm holding back as much as I can because unlike him, I'll say it man-to-man and face-to-face.

"He's brought us to this point. So, OK, you want to play this game? You've got it. You got it. He's the Oakland A's problem right now."

Manager Ozzie Guillen, who didn't leave the White Sox on the best terms as a player, was not mentioned by Thomas in the article. Guillen, in turn, didn't have anything to say about his former designated hitter.

"If he doesn't mention my name then I try and stay away from the conversation," Guillen said. "Obviously, Kenny has to protect himself and the White Sox organization, especially Jerry.

"I was reading the article. It's not my business, it's not my problem. I'll let Kenny take care of that. It's between two people."

Williams no longer wants to hear about the team's $3.5 million buyout of Thomas or the diminished skills clause invoked with Thomas in 2002. He doesn't want to hear Thomas' opinion of their poor working relationship or that he should have been traded after the 2000 playoff run.

The focus for Williams is on his team repeating in October. And according to Williams, the focus for Thomas better be on his new team.

"How many times do you have to kiss somebody's [rear]?" a defiant Williams said. "He better stay out of our business. He better stay out of White Sox business. I don't even know why I'm talking about a guy ... Play two or three games in a row first, before you start popping off.

"And we don't miss him, by the way. If you go out there and ask any one of my players or staff members, we don't miss him. We don't miss the attitude. We don't miss the [complaining] and the whining. We don't miss it. Good riddance. See you later."

Scott Merkin is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Ultra Peanut
02-27-2006, 11:10 AM
I always thought Griffey should have been called the Big Hurt.

BigChiefFan
02-27-2006, 11:14 AM
I always thought Griffey should have been called the Big Hurt.
That's funny. ROFL BTW, what's you former handle, I don't recognize you by the name Ultra Peanut?