PDA

View Full Version : Email Scam or Worth a Shot???

carlos3652
02-27-2006, 12:41 PM
Ok guys, i recieved an email that looks like a scam, (and it probably is), but once several people do it, if they do it correctly, it stops being a scam and becomes real - Take a look and let me know what you think:

-----------------------------------------------
Hi Guys,

Hear me out on this one, I hate spam, I hate emails that waste my time , I did think this was one of them and I was going to delete it, I read through it and it made sense that this might work, so decided to give it a go. I spend $5 on Starbucks on any given day – So I didn’t get some this morning to try this; I thought I would throw this out there. If you don’t want to read it, I apologize I sent this to you in advance. Please delete and don’t crucify me.

This was from one of my customers in the UK that personally new the people that started this and he was willing to give it a shot as well.

If you think you can spend $5 on this, read on:

Dear Friend, EBay / Paypal customer
I am a genuine user of eBay and PAYPAL and have been for sometime.

Yes, you like myself have no doubt had this idea put forward to you before, BUT not in connection with 71 million Paypal accounts…

Paypal have also admitted that this is totally legal.

All it involves is a one off payment of $5.00 and approximately 15 minutes of your time and thats it!

These are some of the e-mails and proof that I came across which finally made me decide that I wanted to try this....

"What an amazing plan. I followed the instructions just 3 weeks ago, and I have made 10 grand. I am absolutely gob smacked" - Alan Humphries, Leicester

“Well what can I say? I sent out 40 e-mails like the plan said then I just forgot about the whole thing. To be honest, I didn't really think anything would come of it, but I checked my Paypal account a week later and there was over $5.000.00 in it!!! After 30 days I now have over $16,000 to spend" - Lisa McDonald, Northampton

"I was shocked when I saw how much money came flooding into my Paypal account. Within 3 weeks my account balance has ballooned to £7,449. At first I thought there had been some kind of error!" - Richard Barrie, Cirencester

"I was very sceptical when I first read this e-mail, nearly deleted it but then I thought about it & decided to give it a go! I spend more than £3
per week on the lottery, so what's a one-off payment of £3 going to matter?!! I've got my fingers crossed that I'll have some extra spending money in my paypal account, by the time I go way in July!" David Barnaby (motographix_co_uk & now www_motographix_co_uk)

If you are eager like I am by this stage, then read the instructions outlined below that are from the original e-mail. It is really so easy to do
then you can just sit back and wait for those payments to go into your paypal account.

INSTRUCTIONS

The first thing you need to do is send a £3.00 / $5.00 payment from your Paypal account to the FIRST email address in the list below, along with a note saying "PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR LIST". Instructions on how to send a payment are under "SEND MONEY" at the Paypal site. It is very easy.

The current list is:

1. david.barnaby@btinternet.com
2. terry.welton@sandchester.fsnet.co.uk
3 jerrylewissr@hotmail.com
4 carlosdfernan@hotmail.com

*Please ensure that all email addresses are typed in CORRECTLY, otherwise no one will benefit from this.

Copy and paste this page (and make any necessary changes)

Remove the email address that you have paid from the number 1 spot, move all the others up a space, and insert your own email address in the number 5 spot Then send the page to as many people as you can.

A good way is to send it to all the people in your paypal history. (GO TO HISTORY TAB AND THEN DOWNLOAD COMPLETE LIST OF PEOPLE YOU HAVE TRADED WITH)

ALL I WOULD LIKE TO DO NOW IS WISH YOU GOOD LUCK. IF YOU ARE STILL
UNSURE OR EVEN IF YOU WOULD JUST LIKE TO KNOW HOW THIS WORKS PLEASE READ ON ...

HERE'S HOW IT WORKS

When you send out your email, your email address will initially be at No 4
on the list. That is the best position that you can be in if you want to earn serious money. The response rate for this program is much higher than any typical email marketing campaign for a number of reasons, which are explained later on.

As long as you send out your emails to people whom are likely to be interested in this program, then on average you can expect a response
of around 25%. But let's be extremely conservative and assume that the average response rate is 12.5%! If you send out your 40 emails, you can expect at least 5 of those people to do exactly what you did (12.5% of 40 = 5 people).

By the time your email address will have moved up to No 3 in the list, and this list will now have reached around 200 people (5 people x 40 emails 200 people).

Out of those 200 people, you can expect at least 25 of them to participate(12.5% of 200 = 25 people) so you are now reaching around 1000 people (25 people x 40 emails = 1000) and you are now at No 2 on the list.

Out of those 1000 people, you can expect at least 125 of them to participate (12.5% of 1000 = 125 people) so you are now reaching around 5000 people (125 people x 40 emails = 5000) and you are now at No 1 on the list.

Out of those 5000 people, you can expect at least 625 of them to participate (12.5% of 5000 = 625 people) and you are now getting paid.

So when your name hit's the No 1 spot, it will be YOUR turn to collect the money. Over the course of 30 days, this money will be sent to you by a few thousand people just like yourself, who are willing to invest £3.00 and 15 minutes of their time to receive around £10,000 or more in cash. The first payments will arrive within a few days and then they will continue at the rate of about 100 payments per day for about 30 days
(obviously this will depend on how quickly you act and how quickly people take you up on this offer and then pass it on). After that time, the
volume of payments begin to taper off as your email is removed from the No 1position.

That's all you need to do! There will be around £10,000 in £3.00 payments waiting for you in your Paypal account within the next few weeks.
£10,000 for just a few minutes work! This is real money that you can spend on anything you wish! or spend it directly from your Paypal account!!!

It's just that easy!!! I think it's WORTH IT, don't you?

Remember, the 12.5% example above is assuming that 35 out of the 40 people you send your email to will do absolutely nothing except delete your email. However, if you follow the plan correctly and send your emails only to people who are
likely to want to participate, you can expect a typical response-rate of around 25%. Hence, the 12.5% example is only given as a
worst-case-scenario.

Additionally, the above example assumes that each participant will only send out 40 emails. Imagine what would happen if each participant sent out 1,000 emails instead of just 40! Believe me, many people will do this and much more!

Unlike many other MLM programs, this 5-LEVEL PROGRAM costs you only £3.00 which is much more realistic and provides much, much faster results.Only the first person on the list gets your £3.00 gift, but everyone in the list will rise to that Number 1 position as thousands of emails are being sent out. No cheating can occur don't be fooled by claims that this system can be cheated) as Paypal only allows one
account per person. Because it is so easy, the response rate is VERY HIGH and VERY FAST - Internet email FAST, and you will start seeing dramatic results in less than one week!

JUST IN TIME FOR NEXT MONTHS BILLS!

Some notes from the PayPal site which you may find useful

PayPal lets you pay anyone with an email address and is the world's Number 1 online payment service. PayPal is accepted on over 3 million eBayauctions as well as a countless number of online shops. You can also use PayPal to pay your friends - for example, it's a convenient way to split the phone bill with your room-mate, send cash to your kids in college, or send cash to someone in another country. When you send money through PayPal, you can fund your payments with your credit card or cheque account. You won't have to worry about your privacy, because PayPal keeps your accounting information safe and secure.

Making a purchase with PayPal is far more secure than mailing a cheque or giving your credit card number to a stranger. That's why over 9 MILLION people from around the world use PayPal to move money. Signing up for a PayPal account is free, easy, and it takes only a couple of minutes.

Ps . You can download your paypal history as a MS Excel file, this is a great way to quickly access all your stored email address's from your paypal transactions.

--------------------------

What are your thoughts, I thought I might give it a shot for $5... (my email is #4) but I would really like to hear you guys out to see if this is even worth doing...

I think in the end it stops being a scam and works perfectly...

Brock
02-27-2006, 12:42 PM
People who do this shit should be executed.

carlos3652
02-27-2006, 12:43 PM
People who do this shit should be executed.

LOL :banghead:

TrickyNicky
02-27-2006, 12:48 PM
Wow its like a pyramid scheme, only better!

Honestly, anything that claims you can make money in a trickle-down effect is complete horseshit.

If you want to give it a try and waste 5 bucks, be my guest. But this guy is obviously counting on people saying to themselves "Meh, it's only 5 dollars. What could it hurt?"

There is no such thing as easy money. These people are probably online all the time acquiring new e-mail addresses and mass-sending these types of things out. The little "I feel your pain" thing about how he hates spam too is very ironic...

DaFace
02-27-2006, 12:51 PM
No way this works, unless you DON'T pay the $5 to anyone, but send the email out to all of your most gullible friends. You might make $10 or so.

plbrdude
02-27-2006, 12:52 PM
scam

Iron Chef
02-27-2006, 12:52 PM
I recently heard an interview with Mark Cuban and he said this is how he paid for collage, so who knows it may work.

Fish
02-27-2006, 01:09 PM
Gullibility at it's best....

If you believe this..... my Nigerian father recently passed away, and I really need a partner to help transfer our $15M out of the country.....

Kylo Ren
02-27-2006, 01:12 PM
To all who read this:
Please send me $5 bucks. What's $5 bucks to you? It's just a Starbucks coffee. Big deal. Think about it. On the other hand, I could put it to really good use. I could go out and buy a Starbucks. Mmmmmmmmmmmm!! Starbucks!!!!

sedated
02-27-2006, 01:15 PM
Meh. It's only $5. What could it hurt?

(but I hope no one sends me that scam crap.)

Kylo Ren
02-27-2006, 01:23 PM
Meh. It's only $5. What could it hurt?

(but I hope no one sends me that scam crap.)

Once you send it to them, they could, somehow, hack your PayPal account and it could cost you allot more than $5. I have no idea, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

Mile High Mania
02-27-2006, 01:31 PM

If you believe this..... my Nigerian father recently passed away, and I really need a partner to help transfer our $15M out of the country.....

Holy crap, dude. I have been getting lots of emails about this... I knew that I didn't have a Nigerian father. I'll send you the info. Whew.

sedated
02-27-2006, 01:50 PM

Hey! I gave you my bank account info almost a month ago!

Where the hell is my $15 million?

And I'd like all my money back, please.

Swanman
02-27-2006, 01:59 PM

Check out www.419eater.com, it's a bunch of people that reverse-scam those spammers. Some of the stories are pretty hilarious.

Rain Man
02-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Maybe you can just send me $3.50 and we'll both be ahead.

carlos3652
02-27-2006, 02:40 PM
Maybe you can just send me $3.50 and we'll both be ahead.

:shake: Always looking out for me Rain man...

Eleazar
02-27-2006, 03:00 PM
Falling for this crap or paying $5 for a coffee should be grounds for execution

Calcountry
02-27-2006, 03:24 PM
Wow its like a pyramid scheme, only better!

Honestly, anything that claims you can make money in a trickle-down effect is complete horseshit.

If you want to give it a try and waste 5 bucks, be my guest. But this guy is obviously counting on people saying to themselves "Meh, it's only 5 dollars. What could it hurt?"

There is no such thing as easy money. These people are probably online all the time acquiring new e-mail addresses and mass-sending these types of things out. The little "I feel your pain" thing about how he hates spam too is very ironic...Didn't Phobia try that shit with the make a donation to save the Planet? Now he is not even a mod, and the planet is still here? WTF? I guess I was a sucker that was born that particular minute.

It is called a Ponzi scheme, or Pyramid Scheme. It works about as well as one of Grobs defensive schemes, for the person that starts it.

What I would suggest, is that if you want to be paid, fug sending in the 5 bucks, and start a new list with your name at the top, then send it out to 1,000,000 people. You can buy a list from a list broker for about 5 cents a name. Then get paid.

Of course, this is illegal, so don't do it, I never would.

Calcountry
02-27-2006, 03:34 PM
Falling for this crap or paying $5 for a coffee should be grounds for executionI knew I should have invested in Starbucks 10 years ago. Actually, I did, I just didn't have the capital needed to leave it there for 10 years.

Iowanian
02-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Carlos,

If you send $19.99 to my paypal account, I'll be sure to send you my tried and true, "internet ripoffs" lesson plan.

JBucc
02-27-2006, 04:23 PM
I didn't read any of it, but I'll say scam

Frazod
02-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Better yet, send me your social security number and credit card numbers, and I'll send you a lovely post card from Grand Caymen Island.

:titus:

Fish
02-27-2006, 04:37 PM
Hey! I gave you my bank account info almost a month ago!

Where the hell is my $15 million?

And I'd like all my money back, please.

Uhhh yeah..... about that.... Your bank said you were overdrawn by $187.43...... Something about returned checks from The Shady Lady...