PDA

View Full Version : Royals Stuff

Pitt Gorilla
02-27-2006, 02:44 PM
While researching Matt Diaz (now with Atlanta), I came across the non-roster invitees for the Braves. One of the names was Wes Obermueller. You might recall that he was the guy we dealt to the Brew Crew to get that broken-armed closer as our setup man (in the year we were almost good). I guess we must not have thought much of him to deal him, and now it seems we don't want him back. Anyone recall anything about him?

Also, what's the story with Diaz? I thought he had a future in our outfield? He made ATL's 40 man roster.

bsp4444
02-27-2006, 02:51 PM
Diaz is a hoss. I thought he could do some damage for the Royals, but I don't think he was ever really given a chance.

sedated
02-27-2006, 02:54 PM
he's nothing special, a middle releiver/5th starter-type.

I'd rather have Wood

Pitt Gorilla
02-27-2006, 03:28 PM
he's nothing special, a middle releiver/5th starter-type.

I'd rather have WoodEnzyte.

Pitt Gorilla
02-27-2006, 03:29 PM
Diaz is a hoss. I thought he could do some damage for the Royals, but I don't think he was ever really given a chance.Why didn't we retain him? He's young, cheap, and has power potential. That is EXACTLY what we need.

Edit: We traded him. From bravesnewworld:

Braves trade Ricardo Rodriguez for outfielder Matt Diaz

Filed under: Team News, Views and Minor Leagues, Draft — Matthew @ 12:47 am
The Braves have acquired outfielder Matt Diaz through a trade with the Royals. Minor league pitcher Ricardo F. Rodriguez was sent to the Royals in exchange for the outfielder. The 27-year-old Diaz hit .371 with 14 home runs and 56 RBIs in 65 games at Triple-A Omaha last season. He then batted .281 in 34 games upon being recalled to the majors by the Royals. Diaz will likely platoon with Kelly Johnson and/or Ryan Langerhans in the outfield next season. Rodriguez was 3-9 with a 5.34 ERA and 80 strikeouts at Class A Myrtle Beach in 2005. He was also suspended for using steroids. The team removed outfielder Onil Joseph from the 40-man roster by outrighting him to Double-A Mississippi a few days before the trade. Diaz has taken his place on that roster.

Pitt Gorilla
02-27-2006, 03:43 PM
It looks like we picked up Brandon Weeden in the Rule V draft as well. Eh, I'm just in a baseball mood today, I guess...

leviw
02-27-2006, 04:14 PM
It's nice to see they did away with the black trim on the unis this year. Hopefully those hideous black hats are being burnt, too.

KevB
02-27-2006, 04:14 PM
Diaz is a hoss. I thought he could do some damage for the Royals, but I don't think he was ever really given a chance.

He should have been used in a platoon with T. Long last year, but we were intent on beating into the ground that T. Long can't hit lefties. Well by god, we confirmed it. Thank goodness, because I really thought the thirty something Long might be a staple here for years to come. :rolleyes:

tk13
02-27-2006, 05:13 PM
I am in a minority by myself on this, but I was completely unimpressed with Diaz. I don't know why Royal fans on all the different boards were so high on the guy. I didn't think the guy had any plate discipline whatsoever. I thought Berroa had better plate discipline. Seemed like all you had to do is throw him breaking balls off the outside corner and you could get him out

Pitt Gorilla
02-27-2006, 09:55 PM
I am in a minority by myself on this, but I was completely unimpressed with Diaz. I don't know why Royal fans on all the different boards were so high on the guy. I didn't think the guy had any plate discipline whatsoever. I thought Berroa had better plate discipline. Seemed like all you had to do is throw him breaking balls off the outside corner and you could get him out
Honestly, I don't know much about him at all, other than he supposedly had potential. Now, Atlanta has him on their 40 man roster. This is the same Atlanta that can't seem to lose their division, no matter how much talent they let go via free agency. I was happy to see that we got a prospect for him. I guess we'll see.

beavis
02-27-2006, 10:13 PM
You aren't in the minority. I was very unimpressed with what I saw.

ChiefsCountry
02-27-2006, 11:00 PM
Its our beloved Royals luck, that a player sucks for us will go on to become a star elsewhere.