PDA

View Full Version : Holmes May Consider Retirement

jspchief
02-28-2006, 09:11 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/football/nfl/stories/MYSA022806.1D.priest.d627130.html

Holmes may consider retirement

Web Posted: 02/28/2006 12:00 AM CST

Tom Orsborn
San Antonio Express-News While family and friends say they are unsure whether Kansas City Chiefs running back Priest Holmes will retire, they acknowledge his actions of late aren't in keeping with what he usually does to prepare for the season.

"He hasn't been carrying on as if he was going to play," Holmes' stepfather, Herman Morris, said. "Normally, he would be in the gym working out and have a routine going on. Right now, he seems to be laid back and relaxed and not wanting to think about it."

Holmes' NFL career, one of the greatest forged by a San Antonian, was jeopardized by a helmet-to-helmet collision Oct.30 in San Diego. Diagnosed with head and neck trauma, Holmes' season ended 10 days later when the Chiefs placed him on injured reserve.

Since then, the former Marshall High standout and University of Texas alumnus has undergone several examinations to determine if he is neurologically fit to play a ninth NFL season. Last week, he met with physician Robert Watkins, a Los Angeles-based spine surgeon.

A spokesperson for Holmes' agent, Todd France, said Monday that France and the Chiefs are awaiting a report from Watkins.

Holmes could not be reached for comment. Morris said he's been getting "mixed signals" from Holmes regarding his future.

"It has been difficult for him," Morris said of Holmes. "He still has the desire to play. But he wants to weigh all of his options and make sure the final decision he makes is the final decision."

Holmes, who graduated from Marshall in 1992, signed a four-year extension with the Chiefs before the 2003 season. The deal could pay him as much as $28million through the 2009 season. Terms included $8.5million in signing bonuses.

Holmes, 32, is a three-time Pro Bowler who has rushed for 1,000 yards or more four times. He ranks first in Chiefs history with 5,933 rushing yards, and the 66 touchdowns he scored from 2002-04 are a league record for a three-year period.

But injuries forced him to miss 17 games the past two seasons. Chiefs coach Herm Edwards already has named fourth-year player Larry Johnson the starter next season, an expected move considering Johnson, 25, rushed for 1,750 yards and 20 TDs last season.

Morris said Holmes and Johnson enjoy a warm relationship.

"(Holmes) made the comment he was really happy, in a way, that he didn't have to think about preparing for games and stuff as a starting running back," Morris said. "He was happy for Larry that he stepped up and did an outstanding job."

Edwards said Holmes indicated last month he is prepared to continue playing.

"It seemed like he wanted to come back," the Kansas City Star quoted Edwards as saying. "Hopefully, he's going to be cleared, and hopefully, he wants to come back."

Holmes typically spends February working out in San Antonio in preparation for grueling conditioning sessions with personal trainer Bremond "Bay Bay" McClinton.

"He always did his own thing before he came to me in March or April," McClinton said. "He always told me he would rather go get his body and mind right before he sees me because my workouts are so intense."

But instead of lifting weights and running sprints, Holmes has spent much of the offseason "taking care of other priorities," Morris said.

"He's spending a lot of time with his four kids," Morris said.

SLAG
02-28-2006, 09:20 AM
Good Read thanks for the Article

HMc
02-28-2006, 09:23 AM
He ain't coming back.

htismaqe
02-28-2006, 09:29 AM
Ahem.

:D

Cormac
02-28-2006, 09:29 AM
I wish him a happy retirement if that is what he chooses. I just hope there isn't a huge contract/SB controversy between him and the Chiefs organisation.

58-4ever
02-28-2006, 09:31 AM
MO cap room!

jspchief
02-28-2006, 09:33 AM
Ahem.

:DI'm not sure this aligns that closely with the claims you've been making.

I'll have to sit back and wait for the ugly part.

Eleazar
02-28-2006, 09:34 AM
Ahem.

:D

So this is planet 'Houston'...

Extra Point
02-28-2006, 09:38 AM
"$8.5Million in signing bonuses"--

Uh, I'd play if I "had to," to collect them. Or are they already his?

Is this the buzzing of returned bonus money starting for Holmes? This is going to be great fodder for Whitlock.....

BigChiefFan
02-28-2006, 09:38 AM
What an absolute warrior. I wish him well. He gave his all and this is how his career could end. That's a little depressing.

HMc
02-28-2006, 09:44 AM
If the spec here was halfway accurate then he was shopping for a doctor who would rule him unfit to play, and couldn't find one. Quite possible.

I don't quite get how the SB payback caper works in general. Is it pro rata, like for cap allocation?

In Priest's case, would that SB have been pro-rated over the 4 years of extension, or the total 7 years after he signed it? Assuming it was 7 years, then priest would owe 4.85 million, yes? (8.5/7 * 4).

Gonzo
02-28-2006, 09:47 AM
A lot of "experts" say that it was the O-line that made him so good. I think he is one of the best of all time and if he had stayed healthy he would be a hall of famer. I hope he has one more year left in him as a 3rd down back or somthing to that effect.

htismaqe
02-28-2006, 09:50 AM
I'm not sure this aligns that closely with the claims you've been making.

I'll have to sit back and wait for the ugly part.

The ugly part is my own 2 cents - pure speculation, based on the fact that I don't see any way it doesn't become ugly.

The "claims" I've been making, however, align with this perfectly.

Holmes has not been preparing. He's going to retire, he's just trying to find a doctor's prognosis that says he HAS to.

The team is already saying he's fine.

Gonzo
02-28-2006, 09:53 AM
Sweet

Kylo Ren
02-28-2006, 09:57 AM
I think he'll come back. Every time he's injured we get these conflicting reports. This report is basically meaningless.

StcChief
02-28-2006, 09:58 AM
Ugly before it's over. Still about the $$$$

Wile_E_Coyote
02-28-2006, 10:12 AM
with LJ the starter, Priest won't need to kill himself getting ready for the season

~denial, perhaps

htismaqe
02-28-2006, 10:22 AM
Priest has already said that he won't accept a backup role.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-28-2006, 10:25 AM
he has 4 kids
there is never enough $$$
:)

Mr. Kotter
02-28-2006, 10:26 AM
Priest has already said that he won't accept a backup role.

He's actually someone who might actually mean it too. In the end though, it will be....as some are saying....about the Benjamins. Too many of them at stake for it not to be.

chiefsfan1963
02-28-2006, 10:35 AM
if priest retires how does this improve our cap situation? does anyone know exactly? Thanks.

HMc
02-28-2006, 10:37 AM
Man that rep is atrocious!

jspchief
02-28-2006, 11:03 AM
if priest retires how does this improve our cap situation? does anyone know exactly? Thanks.It doesn't improve our cap situation. It hurts it.

Dunit35
02-28-2006, 11:04 AM
I think he will come back. But what do I know I'm just a college student.

ClevelandChief
02-28-2006, 11:07 AM
We get charged almost 1Mil towards the cap.

Taco John
02-28-2006, 11:10 AM
If you guys released him, he'd be picked up tomorrow.

jspchief
02-28-2006, 11:12 AM
If you guys released him, he'd be picked up tomorrow.Of course he would. But not at the price we'll have to pay to retain him.

I's just as soon he stayed, even at his current price. It's still cheaper than letting him go.

Calcountry
02-28-2006, 11:23 AM
The ugly part is my own 2 cents - pure speculation, based on the fact that I don't see any way it doesn't become ugly.

The "claims" I've been making, however, align with this perfectly.

Holmes has not been preparing. He's going to retire, he's just trying to find a doctor's prognosis that says he HAS to.

The team is already saying he's fine.He has millions of reasons to come back.

sedated
02-28-2006, 11:36 AM
with LJ the starter, Priest won't need to kill himself getting ready for the season

~denial, perhaps

he isn't the type of person to quit busting his ass just because he is a backup.

He ain't comin back.

So, where will we draft another RB? 3rd or 5th round?

What about Robert Holcombe? He was brought in to be a RB/FB.

Will he replace T-Rich? Or become our #2 RB? or is he done?

htismaqe
02-28-2006, 11:39 AM
He has millions of reasons to come back.

He doesn't want to be a backup and he knows full-well he will be.

If he retires and can get a doctor to say it's medically necessary, he still gets his millions.

As you can see, there's zero incentive for him to come back.

htismaqe
02-28-2006, 11:40 AM
It doesn't improve our cap situation. It hurts it.

The pro-rated portion of his signing bonus would not count against our cap if he was forced to pay it back...

RedThat
02-28-2006, 12:09 PM
Got this from KFFL:

Chiefs | Holmes pondering retirement?
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:03:30 -0800

ESPNews reports Kansas City Chiefs RB Priest Holmes (neck) is reportedly considering retirement.

jspchief
02-28-2006, 12:13 PM
The pro-rated portion of his signing bonus would not count against our cap if he was forced to pay it back...I know not every player that has retired has had to pay back their signing bonus. What determines whether a team will (or legally can) attempt to recover the SB of a retiring player?

htismaqe
02-28-2006, 12:32 PM
I know not every player that has retired has had to pay back their signing bonus. What determines whether a team will (or legally can) attempt to recover the SB of a retiring player?

I'm not really sure how it works in every case. It might be specific to each individual contract.

I know this happened with Barry Sanders.

In this instance it boils down to injury status. If Priest says he can't play because he's injured, even though the team doctor's say he can, they're gonna ask for money back.

sedated
02-28-2006, 12:33 PM
Got this from KFFL:

Chiefs | Holmes pondering retirement?
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:03:30 -0800

ESPNews reports Kansas City Chiefs RB Priest Holmes (neck) is reportedly considering retirement.

we've landed on the moon!

jspchief
02-28-2006, 12:38 PM
I'm not really sure how it works in every case. It might be specific to each individual contract.

I know this happened with Barry Sanders.

In this instance it boils down to injury status. If Priest says he can't play because he's injured, even though the team doctor's say he can, they're gonna ask for money back.What if Preist just retires though, without the excuse of injury? We don't know that he's going to use the injury as an excuse.

He's an aging back that has battled injury over the past few years and is now being relegated to a backup status that took him years to break out from. For him to just say "enough is enough" seems plausible.

I just don't know how we can be sure that he will be forced to pay back his signing bonus.