PDA

View Full Version : What's your solution to the "Fred Phelps" problem?

Kylo Ren
02-28-2006, 10:38 AM
I'm not talking about the issue of protesting military cemeteries specifically. I'm just talking about Fred Phelps and his entire history of anti-homosexual protests. He's a festering boil on the ass (no pun intended) of the local society. He claims to be a reverand. But, be assured, he's no more of a Christian than he is an African American. Obviously, he's neither. As a Christian, he's a fake and a fraud. He uses Christianity as his cover. He twists the Biblical scriptures to suit his own agenda. He's an angry, hateful, disgusting human being.

How would you solve the problem of Fred Phelps? Obviously, we as a society and Kansans have failed so far, because Fred and his organization are as strong as ever. So what new tactic needs to be applied?

Keep in mind that if you say "kick his ass" or "kill him" or something like that, then you are part of the problem and not part of the solution. I'm looking for realistic solutions.

Here's my solution: Totally, 100% ignore him. No matter what he does, don't sue him, don't look at him, don't talk to him, don't debate him, don't yell at him, don't protest him, don't challenge him, don't talk about him, don't think about him, don't put him on the TV news, don't write newpaper articles about him, don't build websites against him, don't ackowledge that he even exists in any way shape or form. I think that he will "die on the vine". I think all of the anti-Fred sentiment and negative news coverage is what keeps him alive. I think if the entire society would, collectively, ostracize him, then he would just go away.

What do you think of that theory? What's your theory?

Braincase
02-28-2006, 10:44 AM
Prosecute him under the Patriot Act for providing Care and Comfort to the ENemy. Send his entire flock to Gitmo for a few years.

Mr. Kotter
02-28-2006, 10:44 AM
Ignore him.

It has to begin with the press.

pikesome
02-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Ignore him.

This is great advice. Sooner or later his desire for press is going to cause him to do something blatantly criminal and then we can lock him away in a "Federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison."

StcChief
02-28-2006, 10:58 AM
Everyone Ignore him.

Kylo Ren
02-28-2006, 10:58 AM
Ignore him.

It has to begin with the press. True. The press is key.

Brock
02-28-2006, 10:59 AM
The patriot guard is already taking care of the problem.

Dunit35
02-28-2006, 11:00 AM
Just don't pay attention to him. I didn't know who he was until about two weeks ago when one of my professors told us about him. The Press is where it all starts as Kotter said.

If the press actually ignored people though, we wouldn't know much about T.O. and would have nothing to talk about.

I believe if the press ignored people the world would be a better place because we wouldn't have to hear anybody bitch about the stupidest things.

Saulbadguy
02-28-2006, 11:00 AM
Ignore him.

It has to begin with the press.
Yep.

I ignore him, and I live here. We still have the occasional moron who feels the need to give him attention by yelling at them or flipping them off. That's just what they want.

Gonzo
02-28-2006, 11:01 AM
He's just providing cover for his own blatent homo-erotic fantasies. He's seen Brokeback 12 times. That's why he loves cowboy hats.

Kylo Ren
02-28-2006, 11:02 AM
The patriot guard is already taking care of the problem.Not really, although I applaud their effort.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-28-2006, 11:04 AM
a cage match with Jack Harry
the winner takes on the BRT killer

Iowanian
02-28-2006, 11:07 AM
I'd like to get ahold of some pictures of thePhelptard himself, taking a pickle in the can.

that on some posters at every event they protest, would be fun.

It wouldn't bother me if the guy accidently dropped a toaster in the pool at his next family reunion.

SLAG
02-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Wouldnt this thread belong in DC

:shrug:

Kylo Ren
02-28-2006, 11:21 AM
Wouldnt this thread belong in DC

:shrug: Why? There's no politics here and there's very little disagreement.

Eleazar
02-28-2006, 11:23 AM
An opinon on a matter of public policy is political by definition.

Fat Elvis
02-28-2006, 11:33 AM
I think the Topeka Symphony once made a good chunk of change off of one of his protests. Basically, they found out Phelps was going to picket and they turned it into a national telethon. The more/longer he protested the more money people pledged.

Kylo Ren
02-28-2006, 11:53 AM
An opinon on a matter of public policy is political by definition. So we can no longer discuss the Arrowhead stadium deal?

kregger
02-28-2006, 11:56 AM
IGNORE the idiot. He stopped getting the press for protesting gay funerals. He resorted to military funerals to garner the attention all over again. This bit of marketing has caused even more of the national press to take notice.

Frazod
02-28-2006, 11:59 AM
Sorry, but for the protesting military funerals bit, he just needs to die. That is unconscionably vile.

RedNFeisty
02-28-2006, 12:01 PM
One bullet to the head would work nicely.

Mr. Kotter
02-28-2006, 12:05 PM
Sorry, but for the protesting military funerals bit, he just needs to die. That is unconscionably vile.

I read somewhere once where he was a Bronco fan too. A huge Elway supporter.....

Eleazar
02-28-2006, 12:17 PM
So we can no longer discuss the Arrowhead stadium deal?

Quit being obtuse, it's obvious to anyone why that would belong in the lounge by virtue of relating to the chiefs.

Kylo Ren
02-28-2006, 12:49 PM
Quit being obtuse, it's obvious to anyone why that would belong in the lounge by virtue of relating to the chiefs.

What about this one on the front page? It has to do with someone who got a sex change operation and then went back to teaching in the public school system. That's somewhat about public policy, right?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=136472

Eleazar
02-28-2006, 12:50 PM
What about this one on the front page? It has to do with someone who got a sex change operation and then went back to teaching in the public school system. That's somewhat about public policy, right?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=136472

That person is a noob. You are just being a board hemorrhoid

Kylo Ren
02-28-2006, 12:52 PM
That person is a noob. You are just being a board hemorrhoid

You're are being hypocritical for the sake of causing trouble. Please go away.

Saulbadguy
02-28-2006, 12:53 PM
God Hates Gunther_Fan.

Kylo Ren
02-28-2006, 12:55 PM
God Hates Gunther_Fan. Now that is clever humor. ROFL Thanks for getting this thread back on track.

Lzen
02-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Both that thread and this thread belong in the DC forum while the Arrowhead stadium renovations threads don't. Simple as that.

Lzen
02-28-2006, 12:57 PM
The patriot guard is already taking care of the problem.

What's the patriot guard?

Kylo Ren
02-28-2006, 01:10 PM
Both that thread and this thread belong in the DC forum while the Arrowhead stadium renovations threads don't. Simple as that. There's NO politics in this thread AND everyone agrees. There's no partisanship here. :shake:

Kylo Ren
02-28-2006, 01:11 PM
What's the patriot guard? It's a motorcycle group of VietNam vets that put themselves in between Fred and the funeral. They rev their engines to drown out Fred's protest. It's an honorable idea, but I don't think it solves anything. Also, it makes so much noise that they are also disrupting the funeral. But I do like the fact that they are trying to do the right thing.

Inspector
02-28-2006, 02:08 PM
Hire some gay guy to make a scene with old Fred at the next newsworthy event.

Gay guy (in front of large crowd) says to Fred:"Why did you leave me for HIM?? Did I not perform well enough for you. How can you do this? Why do you want to hurt me? What about our plans together. We were going to travel to Venice, you were always such a romantic and a wondereful lover. I can't bear to live without you....

And so on...

SBK
02-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Sad as it is, free speech allows morons like this to speak their mind.....

Ignore him. Or take a dump in his mouth, it's up to you.

Warrior5
02-28-2006, 02:37 PM
I assume that members of this board (and most of society) unanimously deplore Phelps' antics.

The reason ignoring him hasn't solved the problem is because the media will never ignore him. Controversy sells. The Phelpians know they will always have a microphone to spew their bile, so they won't just "go away".

Local churches, using the very scriptures that Phelps has twisted, need to quit being complacent and act. Organize, go down to Topeka and peacefully, legally protest in front of Phelps' church.

I guarantee the media will give them some air time to counter Phelps' crap.

Kylo Ren
02-28-2006, 02:54 PM
........local churches, using the very scriptures that Phelps has twisted, need to quit being complacent and act. Organize, go down to Topeka and peacefully, legally protest in front of Phelps' church.......... This is the opposite of my idea, but I like it. Not a bad idea.

Brock
02-28-2006, 02:57 PM
It's a motorcycle group of VietNam vets that put themselves in between Fred and the funeral. They rev their engines to drown out Fred's protest. It's an honorable idea, but I don't think it solves anything. Also, it makes so much noise that they are also disrupting the funeral. But I do like the fact that they are trying to do the right thing.

The Patriot Guard aren't disrupting anything. The Patriot Guard shows up when requested by the family.

Fred doesn't protest during the funeral. They show up an hour before the funeral, and leave when the funeral starts.

chiefsfan987
03-01-2006, 05:47 PM
I think its highly unlikely that ignoring him will make him stop or even picket less. All that is doing is pretending there is a problem and that doesn't solve anything IMO. Furthermore, I think its too easy for all of you to say ignore him. I garuntee you wouldn't be just ignoring him if he were picketing your daughters/ sons/ wife's etc funeral. I'm hoping a tornado drops on his house and takes him and his clan with it.

banyon
03-01-2006, 05:53 PM
He's just providing cover for his own blatent homo-erotic fantasies. He's seen Brokeback 12 times. That's why he loves cowboy hats.

Hey, I just realized that your avatar was actually Faye Dunaway in Mommie Dearest.

I saw that pic before and thought, "Damn, Carrot Top really needs to get into rehab."

Adept Havelock
03-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Ignore his ignorant rants.