PDA

View Full Version : Weird car problem.......

Skip Towne
02-28-2006, 01:53 PM
My Astrovan has a 27 gallon gas tank and the fuel pump is in the gas tank. As long as the tank is nearly full, it runs great. But when it gets down around 1/2 tank it misses and sputters and will even stop sometimes. But if I wait awhile, it will start and run again but will continue the problem every few miles. Fill it up and it runs great again. Any ideas?

Monty
02-28-2006, 01:57 PM
Ping pong ball(or other floating object) in the gas tank? I've heard that ppl do this, but I've never verified that it actually works.

Hootie
02-28-2006, 01:58 PM
keep the gas tank full?

ROYC75
02-28-2006, 01:58 PM
Sounds like something is floating around in the tank restricting the fuel flow.

SLAG
02-28-2006, 01:59 PM
check the Injectors as well, They may be clogged

sedated
02-28-2006, 02:00 PM
I had a similar problem in my last car (accord)

I just kept the tank full and sold the b!tch.

Skip Towne
02-28-2006, 02:04 PM
check the Injectors as well, They may be clogged
And they become magically unclogged when the tank is full? Stupid n00bs!! :cuss:

Phobia
02-28-2006, 02:07 PM
Astrovans suck.

There used to be some dumbass on this board by the name of Skip Towne. Every time somebody assaulted a Chevy product, he'd come around saying that he had 300,0000,0000 miles on his Astrovan.

He's probably broke down on the side of the road somewhere.

ROYC75
02-28-2006, 02:07 PM
Injectors don't stop working then magically start to work, this ain't Disney, OK.

Skip, have it checked for a line restriction. Either at the tank or a weak hose ( the small rubber hoses in certain places around connections ) that is collapsing.

SLAG
02-28-2006, 02:08 PM
And they become magically unclogged when the tank is full? Stupid n00bs!! :cuss:

Fine Change the Fuel Filters and Call me in the Morning

|Done

ROYC75
02-28-2006, 02:10 PM
Sometimes fuel filters will get so full that they will let fuel thro, but after running a while, they stop. As the engine is idle, the settements settle in the filter causing it to run again, just like at the line pick up point.

Skip Towne
02-28-2006, 02:10 PM
Injectors don't stop working then magically start to work, this ain't Disney, OK.

Skip, have it checked for a line restriction. Either at the tank or a weak hose ( the samll rubber hoses in certain places ) that is collapsing.
Something like that could be happening but the gas line is metal all the way from the tank to the engine. I've never seen anything like this before.

tyton75
02-28-2006, 02:11 PM
Reboot the damn thing!

Skip Towne
02-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Reboot the damn thing!
OK, I went out and kicked it in the ass. It's still acting up.

Brock
02-28-2006, 02:15 PM
As with most GM products, the fuel pump is going to be problematic.

ROYC75
02-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Something like that could be happening but the gas line is metal all the way from the tank to the engine. I've never seen anything like this before.

Do you use any fuel additives in it ? I know in our big trucks, at times drivers do not get all of the silver seal off of the additives and it gets in the tank, restricting the pick up lines.

Bugeater
02-28-2006, 02:16 PM
I'm seeing a new fuel pump in your future. It's probably weak, and due to some kind of law of physics the added pressure on the bottom of the tank when it's full is assisting it in pumping the fuel somehow. Does that make any sense?

mike_b_284
02-28-2006, 02:18 PM

There may be a fuel filter that looks like an oil filter somewhere near the engine if there are no in-line filters. My friend's girlfriend has a subaru with a filter like that. I hadn't ever seen anything like it before. All the GMs I have had the fuel filters are in the lines. I hate the fuel system, it is always messy and dangerous.

Skip Towne
02-28-2006, 02:21 PM
Fine Change the Fuel Filters and Call me in the Morning

|Done
Done did that a week ago. No help.

4th and Long
I'm seeing a new fuel pump in your future. It's probably weak, and due to some kind of law of physics the added pressure on the bottom of the tank when it's full is assisting it in pumping the fuel somehow. Does that make any sense?
Yep. It is probably the fuel pump. Test it by checking the fuel pressure.

Iowanian
It could be possible that your fuel pump is getting weak. Its possible that there is some crud(rust) floating, and when the tank is half full, it is blocking the line.

Skip Towne
02-28-2006, 02:23 PM
Very possible. I've had fuel pumps quit three different ways so far. This could be way #4.

SLAG
02-28-2006, 02:24 PM
Yep. It is probably the fuel pump. Test it by checking the fuel pressure.

Yeah Since you had changed the Fuel Filters then its time for a new pump.

I reccomend a Holly Blue

JimNasium
02-28-2006, 02:26 PM
After careful consideration I've determined that your problem is the fact that you are driving a Chevy Astrovan.

Skip Towne
02-28-2006, 02:28 PM
After careful consideration I've determined that your problem is the fact that you are driving a Chevy Astrovan.
Yeah, if it were your car just getting the little pieces of rice out of the caburetor would fix it.

Monty
02-28-2006, 02:29 PM

According to the dog shown below, it's called a Rastrovan.

http://www.dogquotes.com/astro.gif

Wile_E_Coyote
02-28-2006, 02:39 PM
I reckon a full tank would be mean less slushing, so maybe rust was the right answer

Jenny Gump
02-28-2006, 02:49 PM
I don't know if anyone has said this already, but since your fuel pump is in your gas tank, the screen over your fuel pump might need to be replaced.

Jenny Gump
02-28-2006, 02:49 PM
It could be possible that your fuel pump is getting weak. Its possible that there is some crud(rust) floating, and when the tank is half full, it is blocking the line.

Or this. Might be new fuel pump time.

Jenny Gump
02-28-2006, 02:50 PM
Yeah, if it were your car just getting the little pieces of rice out of the caburetor would fix it.

Jimmy drives a Yeep.

JimNasium
02-28-2006, 03:42 PM
Get your facts straight you ideet.

sedated
02-28-2006, 04:11 PM
I don't know if anyone has said this already, but since your fuel pump is in your gas tank, the screen over your fuel pump might need to be replaced.

so sexy when a woman talks fuel pumps.

Saulbadguy
02-28-2006, 04:13 PM
I pissed in your gas tank.

Rain Man
02-28-2006, 04:20 PM
Here's what I do when I have a problem like that: I take it to a mechanic and just hand him my wallet and ask for mercy.

Radar Chief
02-28-2006, 04:21 PM
Next time it does this, open the gas cap, close it again and see if it’ll start right up.
Could be clogged vent hose.
If your vent line is clogged removing the gas cap should equalize pressure and allow the pump to work against atmospheric pressure instead of pulling against a vacuum.

Skip Towne
02-28-2006, 04:21 PM
I pissed in your gas tank.
No, you didn't. If you had I would have already kicked your ass.

HemiEd
02-28-2006, 05:20 PM
I had a similar problem in my last car (accord)

I just kept the tank full and sold the b!tch.

What? Where is the Pastor and Halfcan, those things have never had a problem! :D

HemiEd
02-28-2006, 05:24 PM
Next time it does this, open the gas cap, close it again and see if it’ll start right up.
Could be clogged vent hose.
If your vent line is clogged removing the gas cap should equalize pressure and allow the pump to work against atmospheric pressure instead of pulling against a vacuum.

Agreed, and the other wierd solution, the fuel pump being submersed might be allowing it to run freely. Is this the original pump?

Skip Towne
02-28-2006, 05:28 PM
Agreed, and the other wierd solution, the fuel pump being submersed might be allowing it to run freely. Is this the original pump?
Not the original pump. I've put three others on it. It has 348,000 miles on it.

HemiEd
02-28-2006, 05:35 PM
Not the original pump. I've put three others on it. It has 348,000 miles on it.

I would do what Radar said, it makes the most sense. Once the fuel level starts dropping it starts pulling air to fill the empty space. If it can not get any (blocked vent, crimped hose) it starts creating a vacuum. The pump is not strong enough to pull that much vacuum.