PDA

View Full Version : How's this for horsepoop?

Fat Elvis
02-28-2006, 10:09 PM
Jack Harry is reporting that Will Shields will be asked to take a pay cut or be released....

Three guesses who scooped that load of crap.

Rausch
02-28-2006, 10:11 PM
Yeah.

Shields is the abso-****ing-lutely last person on this team that should take a paycut...

Mr. Laz
02-28-2006, 10:14 PM
i don't know whether this is true or not... i doubt it.

but shields IS paid too much at this point ... 5 million per year is too much for ANY guard imo.

Rausch
02-28-2006, 10:20 PM

but shields IS paid too much at this point ... 5 million per year is too much for ANY guard imo.

If I had any motivation at all I'd pay someone to kick yer ass...

Fat Elvis
02-28-2006, 10:21 PM
Who would take his place? Pack about 35 lbs on Dunn, perhaps a la Brian Waters, but outside of that, we don't have anyone who can move like Shields.

Phobia
02-28-2006, 10:22 PM
As with ANY contract, Shields' was back loaded. He was to have retired, been injured, or renegotiated prior to this year.

Mr. Laz
02-28-2006, 10:25 PM
If I had any motivation at all I'd pay someone to kick yer ass...

hehe :) ... i know, shields a good player ... a great career ... what's not to like.

but his age ... his health ... he took almost 1/2 the season to get going last year.

5 million is top of the league premium for Olinemen and that's usually for the tackle position.

if we were goin to pay shields 5 million ... we should of move him to tackle.

nothing personnel to shields ... but 5 million is too much

BigRock
02-28-2006, 10:26 PM
Len Pasquarelli said the exact same thing about Sheilds. If no CBA gets done, a lot of guys are going to be cut who wouldn't have been otherwise. If he doesn't restructure, they might not have a choice.

Fat Elvis
As with ANY contract, Shields' was back loaded. He was to have retired, been injured, or renegotiated prior to this year.

Maybe Carl really isn't the debil after all...you'd figure he could swing an injury or two to get out of this contract if he was the prince of darkness.

Rausch
hehe :) ... i know, shields a good player ... a great career ... what's not to like.

but his age ... his health ... he took almost 1/2 the season to get going last year.

5 million is top of the league premium for Olinemen and that's usually for the tackle position.

Name one gaurd we could get to equal his production for 5 mil or under...

Fat Elvis
02-28-2006, 10:29 PM

Having him available to play either tackle position if needed is worth the $5M if he can play guard in the meantime at his same level of performance. We lose a T (especially Roaf) without Shields to fill in and we are screwed.

Mr. Laz
02-28-2006, 10:32 PM
Name one gaurd we could get to equal his production for 5 mil or under...
steve hutchinson comes to mind

but i don't know if i could name one ... although i'm sure there are a few.

but that still doesn't change the fact that 5 million is too much for a guard.... especially with the salary cap situation and our defensive needs.

less about shields more about the total team

Mr. Laz
02-28-2006, 10:34 PM
Having him available to play either tackle position if needed is worth the $5M if he can play guard in the meantime at his same level of performance. We lose a T (especially Roaf) without Shields to fill in and we are screwed.

true that does increase his worth ... but they didn't move shield out to tackle last year when we were struggling badly at tackle.

we have several guards on the team, but instead of moving shields we moved the other guys.

Fat Elvis
02-28-2006, 10:36 PM
true that does increase his worth ... but they didn't move shield out to tackle last year when we were struggling badly at tackle.

we have several guards on the team, but instead of moving shields we moved the other guys.

I'll chalk that one up to one of DV's "senior moments."

Mr. Laz
02-28-2006, 10:39 PM
I'll chalk that one up to one of DV's "senior moments."
very possibly ... ROFL

or it could of been because they worried that shields is close to retiring that putting any stress on him at all might push him into quitting immediately.

don't make him practice in training camp
don't risk making him mad by moving him to tackle

BIG K
02-28-2006, 10:43 PM

The Chief's actually talked about moving Shields to LT in 97' after Alt retired being he was the most athletic lineman on the squad. That was nine years and alot of games ago...

Rausch
02-28-2006, 10:45 PM
very possibly ... ROFL

or it could of been because they worried that shields is close to retiring that putting any stress on him at all might push him into quitting immediately.

don't make him practice in training camp
don't risk making him mad by moving him to tackle

Again, there isn't a G in the league that can do what he can.

A bazillion times probowler at G.

Can play L or RT.

NEVER injured.

He's worth every penny.

Dump Hicks, Bartee, McSuckass, Jordan (Block who?) Black, Bober, and Woods.

Keep Shields...

Logical
02-28-2006, 10:46 PM

I agree, Shields had a poor first half of the season and even at his best this year he was quite a bit below his past great performances. He made the pro bowl like many players do towards the end of their careers on the legacy of their reputation. Personally if he will take a reduction I would like him back, but it is time to move towards youth and we might as well bite the bullet rather than pay Will this much at this point.

nychief
02-28-2006, 10:46 PM
The Chief's actually talked about moving Shields to LT in 97' after Alt retired being he was the most athletic lineman on the squad. That was nine years and alot of games ago...

that was ****ing nine years ago. the days of moving Will shields to LT are over.... the guy was not as good this past year, as in years past. if this came from anyone other than Jack Ass I could believe it.

BIG K
02-28-2006, 10:47 PM

Keep Shields...

I'm ok with that.....

nychief
02-28-2006, 10:48 PM
Again, there isn't a G in the league that can do what he can.

A bazillion times probowler at G.

Can play L or RT.

NEVER injured.

He's worth every penny.

Keep Shields...

if shields was so readily available to play LT, why in the hell didn't he while Roaf was out for 6 games last season?

Rausch
02-28-2006, 10:53 PM
if shields was so readily available to play LT, why in the hell didn't he while Roaf was out for 6 games last season?

And completely retarded personel decisions lower Will's value how?...

BIG K
02-28-2006, 10:55 PM
that was ****ing nine years ago. the days of moving Will shields to LT are over.... the guy was not as good this past year, as in years past. if this came from anyone other than Jack Ass I could believe it.

Again, I will say that was "NINE" YEARS AGO, when he was in his prime. I am not suggesting that the Chiefs move him to LT NOW. He's too bothered by injury to ever consider it now.....Who is this 'Jack Ass' you speak of???

nychief
02-28-2006, 10:56 PM
And completely retarded personel decisions lower Will's value how?...

my point its the days of thinking will shields some how has "super value" because he can jump in at LT or RT are over, if they ever existed. Look, I want him back as bad as the next guy. But lets be realistic about what he is capable of.

nychief
02-28-2006, 10:57 PM
Again, I will say that was "NINE" YEARS AGO, when he was in his prime. I am not suggesting that the Chiefs move him to LT NOW. He's too bothered by injury to ever consider it now.....Who is this 'Jack Ass' you speak of???

we agreee. and its jack harry.

Logical
02-28-2006, 10:58 PM
And completely retarded personel decisions lower Will's value how?...I actually don't think you were really watching Will this year. For the first time ever it was not unusual to see him being pushed back into the backfield on running plays. Standing up to the faster/quicker outside defensive lineman would have really exposed his weakness due to age. He is still better than average at guard, but not able to move outside to tackle anymore. IMO

jspchief
03-01-2006, 07:30 AM
Didn't the Chiefs talk Will out of retirement last year? To do that, then cut him the following year inexcusable IMO.

If this team actually cuts Shields, I'll be sick to my stomach. We've endured bums like Bartee and McCleon, paid big money to clowns like Morton and Bell, re-signed losers like Hicks, Warfield, Woods, and Wesley. If having to cut Shields is the result of all those stupid decisions, Carl Peterson should die a fiery death.

StcChief
03-01-2006, 07:44 AM
Shields will likely retire.

Great player with Chiefs deserves Chief HOF ring bring him back for an encore appearance next year half time.
Likely NFL HOFer

The non-CBA screws with all kinds of contract situations. Their will be more casualities in NFL.

greg63
03-01-2006, 08:12 AM
Maybe Carl really isn't the debil after all...you'd figure he could swing an injury or two to get out of this contract if he was the prince of darkness.

Don't be fooled King Carl is satan incarnate.

Kclee
03-01-2006, 08:13 AM

Keep Shields...

On sirius NFL network this morning I heard someone talking about Warfield. Can't remember word for word, but basically that Warfield hasn't heard from the team yet and is thinking he will be cut and that it will save the team over 2 mil. in cap money.

jspchief
03-01-2006, 08:19 AM
On sirius NFL network this morning I heard someone talking about Warfield. Can't remember word for word, but basically that Warfield hasn't heard from the team yet and is thinking he will be cut and that it will save the team over 2 mil. in cap money.

I've been in support of keeping Warfield for another year.

But honestly, If I have to choose between keeping a three time drunk driver, or over-paying a 12 time Pro Bowler and former NFL Man of the Year, I think I'll take Shields and live with a shitty secondary.

greg63
03-01-2006, 08:23 AM
I've been in support of keeping Warfield for another year.

But honestly, If I have to choose between keeping a three time drunk driver, or over-paying a 12 time Pro Bowler and former NFL Man of the Year, I think I'll take Shields and live with a shitty secondary.

I agree; the defense is bound to continue to undergo reformation, but I think keeping the O-line intact would be paramount to the success of the offense itself. JMHO

Skyy God
03-01-2006, 08:43 AM
Is any other team in the NFL paying a guard $5M this year? Prove me wrong, but my guess is no. At this point in his career, I don't think the dropoff between Shields and Welbourn is that great. He's certainly not 4 times (assuming Welbourn's base is $1.25M) the player.

jspchief
03-01-2006, 08:53 AM
Is any other team in the NFL paying a guard $5M this year? Prove me wrong, but my guess is no. At this point in his career, I don't think the dropoff between Shields and Welbourn is that great. He's certainly not 4 times (assuming Welbourn's base is $1.25M) the player.Is there any other guard in the NFL that has played in every single game of a 13 year career, making the Pro Bowl 12 years straight?

I don't have a problem over-paying Will Shields. Considering what he's done for this team, the reality is he was probably underpaid a hell of a lot more years than overpaid.

Mr. Kotter
03-01-2006, 10:18 AM
I agree, Shields had a poor first half of the season and even at his best this year he was quite a bit below his past great performances. He made the pro bowl like many players do towards the end of their careers on the legacy of their reputation. Personally if he will take a reduction I would like him back, but it is time to move towards youth and we might as well bite the bullet rather than pay Will this much at this point.

I think I agree with every single word of Jim's post.

That's friggin' scary. :spock:

Chiefnj
03-01-2006, 10:26 AM
The Chiefs are in a bad cap spot right now. With no new agreement there are problems restructuring long term deals with players like Tony. The Chiefs don't have much of an option but to ask Shields to take a pay cut.

It's a business. The Chiefs have payed him tons of money and he has played at a HOF caliber for it. They owe each other nothing.

I think Shields' decision to retire this year has become a lot easier if they are asking him to trim some salary.

Skyy God
03-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Is there any other guard in the NFL that has played in every single game of a 13 year career, making the Pro Bowl 12 years straight?

I don't have a problem over-paying Will Shields. Considering what he's done for this team, the reality is he was probably underpaid a hell of a lot more years than overpaid.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all that Will Shields has brought to the team, both in his play and character. However, I also don't think we should mortgage our future by devoting a crazy percentage of our cap to him.

True on being underpaid some years, but that's just the nature of the beast.

Phobia
03-01-2006, 12:45 PM
I feel puny posting this because it's an "I told you so" which isn't really my style.

Athan scooped this yesterday at noon. Now that ESPN has run the story it's credible.

Chiefnj
03-01-2006, 12:53 PM
I feel puny posting this because it's an "I told you so" which isn't really my style.

Athan scooped this yesterday at noon. Now that ESPN has run the story it's credible.

He scooped a story that the Chiefs were going to ask someone with a 6 million cap hit to restructure? Notradamus de Athon. That's amazing. Who would have thought that the Chiefs were going to ask high priced guys to restructure or risk being cut? That's never happened in the NFL before. Where do I send my $99 for this insider info??

Phobia
03-01-2006, 12:57 PM
He scooped a story that the Chiefs were going to ask someone with a 6 million cap hit to restructure? Notradamus de Athon. That's amazing. Who would have thought that the Chiefs were going to ask high priced guys to restructure or risk being cut? That's never happened in the NFL before. Where do I send my $99 for this insider info??

Nevermind, dude. Athan can't ever win with you. If he's right, he was lucky, it was obvious, or everybody already knew. If he's wrong, he made it up. There's no possible way he has actual contacts within the Chiefs despite the fact he's there nearly every day.

I'm not asking anybody to sign up for the insider info. I don't really care about that. I'm just pointing out when he's correct.

RedThat
03-01-2006, 12:59 PM
Guys,

I know many of you are Will Shields lovers. But, I am going to give my 2 cents.

In all honesty, he's been great for us. I would NEVER take away his past performances and accomplishments as a Chief. However, questions linger in the back of my mind. Will Shields did ponder around retiring last year, and he just wasn't the same caliber guard this year as in years past. His salary is A LOT for a guard. is he worth keeping?

I do agree with Laz. We have to think team first. If it means cut Shields, if this is the best possible move, then Im in support of that.

Don't get me wrong, I do love Will Shields too. But I love the Kansas City Chiefs a lot more. Once again, if cutting him means benefiting the team, lets do it. If cutting him means, we have the money to pick up a defensive lineman or defensive back lets do it! Besides losing Shields isn't a HUGE thing. Some people blow it out of proportion. We are DEEP at guard. Welbourn and Black are capable of being "SOLID" starters. Not your Will Shields, but good enough to save us money, perform well, with newly added players to the defense.

Mr. Laz
03-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Guys,

I know many of you are Will Shields lovers. But, I am going to give my 2 cents.

In all honesty, he's been great for us. I would NEVER take away his past performances and accomplishments as a Chief. However, questions linger in the back of my mind. Will Shields did ponder around retiring last year, and he just wasn't the same caliber guard this year as in years past. His salary is A LOT for a guard. is he worth keeping?

I do agree with Laz. We have to think team first. If it means cut Shields, if this is the best possible move, then Im in support of that.

Don't get me wrong, I do love Will Shields too. But I love the Kansas City Chiefs a lot more. Once again, if cutting him means benefiting the team, lets do it. If cutting him means, we have the money to pick up a defensive lineman or defensive back lets do it! Besides losing Shields isn't a HUGE thing. Some people blow it out of proportion. We are DEEP at guard. Welbourn and Black are capable of being "SOLID" starters. Not your Will Shields, but good enough to save us money, perform well, with newly added players to the defense.
pretty much what i was trying to say ... you just said it much better.

:thumb:

jspchief
03-01-2006, 01:35 PM
Nevermind, dude. Athan can't ever win with you. I hope you've honestly figured that out. But somehow I think you'll keep on defending him, just like we'll keep on slamming him.

Chiefnj
03-01-2006, 01:44 PM
Nevermind, dude. Athan can't ever win with you. If he's right, he was lucky, it was obvious, or everybody already knew. If he's wrong, he made it up. There's no possible way he has actual contacts within the Chiefs despite the fact he's there nearly every day.

I'm not asking anybody to sign up for the insider info. I don't really care about that. I'm just pointing out when he's correct.

I've given him credit when he has really scooped some news. "Scooping" the fact that an old player with an astronomical base salary who has been contemplating retirement is being asked to restructure or possibly retire isn't breaking news. It is common sense. If your boss has found some, then good for him.

KCTitus
03-01-2006, 01:49 PM

This is the quintessential reason why I make fun of WPI and their ilk. Who THE F! cares?!

And you should feel puny, Phobia, this was beneath you.

Phobia
03-01-2006, 01:53 PM
As you guys know, I like to treat people fairly. I don't actually care what everybody thinks of Nick. Really. I know that his rep is too far gone to have any hope for some people.

However, if you're going to trash him for every time he's wrong I'd like to see acknowledgement for every time he's right as well.

As far as whether his Shields information was solid - NOBODY talked about the possibility of Shields being cut before yesterday. Nobody. There have been lists of possible cuts on every major news outlet - all the high salary guys have appeared on those lists. Nobody listed Shields. Not once. Athan did because he was told about it by a Chiefs official.

Phobia
03-01-2006, 01:56 PM
This is the quintessential reason why I make fun of WPI and their ilk. Who THE F! cares?!

And you should feel puny, Phobia, this was beneath you.
Heh heh. I really do. But I've rationalized it in my mind as a quest for fairness. I think there's some truth to that. I've tried to be fair to all journalists who cover the Chiefs - I've given them credit when deserved and criticized when I felt they deserved it. It's in the archives - especially with regard to Whitlock and Gretz. I hate those guys, but when they're right, they're right.

bringbackmarty
03-03-2006, 03:00 AM

but his age ... his health ... he took almost 1/2 the season to get going last year. *Bullshit. He was a little hurt at the beginning of the year, but did you watch the jets game? He still ****s people up left and right.

5 million is top of the league premium for Olinemen and that's usually for the tackle position. -with the current cap situation, I agree completely.

if we were goin to pay shields 5 million ... we should of move him to tackle. Now there's an idea. Take a guy who has dominated his position at a hall of fame level for thirteen years, never missed a game, and make him learn a new position for his last two. Brilliant.`

nothing personnel to shields ... but 5 million is too muchfive is two little. Shields is one of the few in the nfl that earns all of his money. We just cannot afford him. But if we are planning on making a real run this year with t. green, and holmes as a backup, we have to keep him.

the Talking Can
03-03-2006, 06:26 AM
However, if you're going to trash him for every time he's wrong I'd like to see acknowledgement for every time he's right as well.

this isn't WPI....no one has to do anything...the knob shiners know where to find the God Head....

if we're going to get lectured by employees of WPI, I'd prefer it was Nick himself with one of his "Bow down and kiss my ass" threads....can you pass that along to management?

greg63
03-03-2006, 06:40 AM
How's this for horsepoop?