PDA

View Full Version : TEICHER-Warfield article.

Kclee
03-01-2006, 09:07 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13986202.htm

Warfield hears sound of silence.
Cornerback awaits word from Chiefs By ADAM TEICHER

Eric Warfield hasn’t heard from the Chiefs about his future, so he tries to find the meaning anywhere he can.
“I take everything as a sign,” the veteran cornerback said.
Those signs seem to point to the end of his Chiefs career. Warfield has a fat contract, making him an inviting target for a team with serious salary-cap problems.
He also hasn’t talked since the end of the season with new coach Herm Edwards, president/general manager Carl Peterson or defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham, a silence that would appear to say plenty.
Now, he’s just waiting for word, one way or another.
“I’d like to stay, but I really have no sense of what’s going to happen,” Warfield said. “All I know is that there’s a lot of concern for the defense. I don’t know where I fit into that. I think I held my own last year, but I know it wasn’t my best year. I could have done a lot better.
“That’s something for the team to decide. This is an occupation where you’ve got to keep yourself prepared at all times. That’s all I can do is keep myself prepared, no matter what they decide to do.”
Warfield has been through this drill before. He thought he might be released last year, when he was suspended by the NFL for the first four games for a violation of its substance-abuse policy and replaced in the starting lineup during the offseason practices by Julian Battle.
The Chiefs retained Warfield, and he wound up starting 10 games, with 63 total tackles, ninth on the team.
Now things are different. The Chiefs can realize a salary-cap savings of more than $2 million by releasing Warfield.
That sum could come in handy as the Chiefs fight to get below the NFL’s salary limit, which they initially expected to be about $95 million.
Veteran Ty Law is available to replace Warfield. Law signed with Edwards and the New York Jets last year but was recently released in a cap-related measure.
The Chiefs’ other veteran cornerbacks are Patrick Surtain, who started 15 games last season; Dexter McCleon; Benny Sapp; Dewayne Washington; and Battle. McCleon is another candidate for release. That move would save the Chiefs more than $1 million against the cap.
Washington was scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent.

RedThat
03-01-2006, 09:12 AM
Salary cap is tight

Warfield hears sounds of silence
Cornerback awaits word from Chiefs
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Eric Warfield hasn’t heard from the Chiefs about his future, so he tries to find the meaning anywhere he can.

“I take everything as a sign,” the veteran cornerback said.

Those signs seem to point to the end of his Chiefs career. Warfield has a fat contract, making him an inviting target for a team with serious salary-cap problems.

He also hasn’t talked since the end of the season with new coach Herm Edwards, president/general manager Carl Peterson or defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham, a silence that would appear to say plenty.

Now, he’s just waiting for word, one way or another.

“I’d like to stay, but I really have no sense of what’s going to happen,” Warfield said. “All I know is that there’s a lot of concern for the defense. I don’t know where I fit into that. I think I held my own last year, but I know it wasn’t my best year. I could have done a lot better.

“That’s something for the team to decide. This is an occupation where you’ve got to keep yourself prepared at all times. That’s all I can do is keep myself prepared, no matter what they decide to do.”

Warfield has been through this drill before. He thought he might be released last year, when he was suspended by the NFL for the first four games for a violation of its substance-abuse policy and replaced in the starting lineup during the offseason practices by Julian Battle.

The Chiefs retained Warfield, and he wound up starting 10 games, with 63 total tackles, ninth on the team.

Now things are different. The Chiefs can realize a salary-cap savings of more than $2 million by releasing Warfield.

That sum could come in handy as the Chiefs fight to get below the NFL’s salary limit, which they initially expected to be about $95 million.

Veteran Ty Law is available to replace Warfield. Law signed with Edwards and the New York Jets last year but was recently released in a cap-related measure.

The Chiefs’ other veteran cornerbacks are Patrick Surtain, who started 15 games last season; Dexter McCleon; Benny Sapp; Dewayne Washington; and Battle. McCleon is another candidate for release. That move would save the Chiefs more than $1 million against the cap.

Washington was scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent.

Deberg_1990
03-01-2006, 09:15 AM
Like ive been saying for awhile.....Cut Warfield and his FAT contract and sign Law. Warfield, is good, but not worth what hes getting paid.

foxman
03-01-2006, 09:15 AM
Depending on the new CBA we are screwed and will have to use the towel boy to play CB next year without some huge alterations. Forget about Ty Law. Thats the biggest reason for this sound os silence...maybe he shoudl take that as a sign.

jspchief
03-01-2006, 09:16 AM
So we're going to cut McCleon and Warfield. Washington and Sapp (did we re-sign him?) are FAs. That leaves us Bartee as the most experienced CB on the roster after Surtain.

So here's the CBs:
Surtain
Bartee (terrible, recently moved to safety)
Battle (Any career starts?)
Hodge (no career starts)
Rookie
Rookie

We need some veteran presence. I don't know who we might get through FA, but if we tryto do this with Surtain and all these unkowns, we're asking for trouble.

htismaqe
03-01-2006, 09:19 AM
I wish people would shut up about the Ty Law pipe dream...

KCTitus
03-01-2006, 09:22 AM
With no CBA, KC could have both TO and Ty Law! Whooo Hoo!

beavis
I wish people would shut up about the Ty Law pipe dream...
Yeah, we need to concentrate on getting TO.

BigChiefFan
Warfield could be a damn good player, but he never could keep his head in the game.

Kclee
03-01-2006, 09:26 AM
So we're going to cut McCleon and Warfield. Washington and Sapp (did we re-sign him?) are FAs. That leaves us Bartee as the most experienced CB on the roster after Surtain.

So here's the CBs:
Surtain
Hodge (no career starts)
Rookie
Rookie

We need some veteran presence. I don't know who we might get through FA, but if we tryto do this with Surtain and all these unkowns, we're asking for trouble.

The 49ers released A. Plummer. He could be someone we could look at. But yeah, looks pretty bleak on the CB front.

jspchief
03-01-2006, 09:28 AM
Plummer is a guy I've been considering. He's had some injury problems, but he would be a solid addition. He may never be great, but I think he could fill Warfield's role.

Cormac
03-01-2006, 09:31 AM
If we replace Warfield with Law, I'll question the logic. Honestly, I think Surtain and Warfield are a top 5 CB tandem. Our CBs and LBs are our strongest positions on D. I'd add at least 3 D-linemen before I'd add a single CB.

JMO.

Hootie
03-01-2006, 09:33 AM
Warfield had a good year. He's a solid tackler. I'd hate to see him go.

Archie Bunker
03-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Well Cherryontop and Halfcan should be pleased. I cant wait for the gloating. :shake:

Kclee
03-01-2006, 09:39 AM
Plummer is a guy I've been considering. He's had some injury problems, but he would be a solid addition. He may never be great, but I think he could fill Warfield's role.

I think Plummer and Warfield are about at the same talent level. I don't think it would be a step down. Maybe I give the nod to Warfield talent wise, but that could be bias, I agree though, he could fill Warfields role.

RedNFeisty
03-01-2006, 09:43 AM
Whether Warfield is a good player or not, I find it distrubing that no one is saying anything to him to give him some indication. That is just rude, and he deserves better.

jspchief
03-01-2006, 09:45 AM
I think Plummer and Warfield are about at the same talent level. I don't think it would be a step down. Maybe I give the nod to Warfield talent wise, but that could be bias, I agree though, he could fill Warfields role.I'm not even sure I would give Warfield the nod in terms of talent. Ahmed Plummer was starting to look like an ascending player, then he got hit hard with the injury bug.

Assuming he can stay healthy, I think Plummer is easily a lateral move, and has potential to be an upgrade over Warfield.

I don't know what kind of money he'll be after. I have to think only playing 9 games in the last two seasons combined has to bring his price down.

shakesthecat
03-01-2006, 09:48 AM
Whether Warfield is a good player or not, I find it distrubing that no one is saying anything to him to give him some indication. That is just rude, and he deserves better.

What?

Rude is being a dumbass and getting suspended 4 games. Warfield deserves nothing. And he has no one to blame but himself.

Kclee
03-01-2006, 09:52 AM
I don't know what kind of money he'll be after. I have to think only playing 9 games in the last two seasons combined has to bring his price down.

Well, it should be cheaper than EW, so that's a plus. All the huge CB contracts were given out last year, so hopefully the market is down a little this year. There is Law, Warfield (maybe), Woodson, and Plummer. Here is the complete list before todays/tomorrows cuts.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?positionId=29&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2ffa%3fpositionId%3d29

jspchief
What?

Rude is being a dumbass and getting suspended 4 games. Warfield deserves nothing. And he has no one to blame but himself.I have to agree. There may be players that deserve a little professional courtesy, but I'm not sure Warfield is one of them.

I doubt he called the team to let them know he was going to be out driving drunk and might not be available to play the first four weeks of the year.

StcChief
Agree Top 5 CB tandem.

Get the drunk...Warfield to restructure, and prove himself for a full year again.

jspchief
03-01-2006, 09:54 AM
Get the drunk...Warfield to restructure, and prove himself for a full year again.This seems like the best approach to me. If there was ever a player that deserved to be asked to take a pay cut, Warfield fits. Give him a new contract similar to what we gave Bartee in 2004.

milkman
03-01-2006, 09:56 AM

So here's the CBs:
Surtain
Hodge (no career starts)
Rookie
Rookie

In the end, it doesn't really matter who we have at CB.
Until we get the front four fixed, our pass D is going to be pathetic, as it has been for years.

jspchief
03-01-2006, 10:06 AM
In the end, it doesn't really matter who we have at CB.
Until we get the front four fixed, our pass D is going to be pathetic, as it has been for years.I don't entirely agree.

I know we need a pass rush. But I don't think a pass rush renders the CBs inconsequential. Or at the very least, I don't believe we'll be able to build a good enough pass rush to render the CBs inconsequential.

HemiEd
03-01-2006, 10:10 AM
Warfield had a good year. He's a solid tackler. I'd hate to see him go.

Me too, I was impressed with Washington's play as well. I hope somebody flips the switch for Battle and turns the lights on.

RedThat
03-01-2006, 10:10 AM
I don't entirely agree.

I know we need a pass rush. But I don't think a pass rush renders the CBs inconsequential. Or at the very least, I don't believe we'll be able to build a good enough pass rush to render the CBs inconsequential.

I disagree.

I think it does. A good pass rush can mask the weaknesses in your secondary. Herm said it himself.

jspchief
03-01-2006, 10:15 AM
I disagree.

I think it does. A good pass rush can mask the weaknesses in your secondary. Herm said it himself.Yea, but like I said at the end of my post, I'm not convinced we're going to be able to build that type of pass rush this off-season. We have too many holes.

Chiefnj
03-01-2006, 10:19 AM
It's looking like Herm ran from a rebuilding job and ended up with one anyway.

RedThat
Yea, but like I said at the end of my post, I'm not convinced we're going to be able to build that type of pass rush this off-season. We have too many holes.

It doesn't take much. You just have to pick up 2 good Defensive lineman in the off-season. That's doable through draft and FA.

*We don't have that many holes.

milkman
I don't entirely agree.

Perhaps "inconsequential" is an exagerration, but a front 7 can hide weakness at the corner.

RedThat
03-01-2006, 10:22 AM
Perhaps "inconsequential" is an exagerration, but a front 7 can hide at the corner.

Front 7 is the most important. We're halfway there. We have 3 solid players along our front 7. Mitchell, D.Johnson, and J.Allen. The rest "stink".

milkman
03-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Front 7 is the most important. We're halfway there. We have 3 solid players along our front 7. Mitchell, D.Johnson, and J.Allen. The rest "stink".

Kawika Mitchell is a good player, and improving.

I think Jimmy Wilkerson has potential to be good at DE, but that is only speculation, so we can only count four.

Deberg_1990
03-01-2006, 10:38 AM
I actually like Warfield as a CB. I think hes pretty solid, but the problem is, hes getting paid like a #1 CB, which hes not worth.

Kclee
03-01-2006, 10:44 AM
I actually like Warfield as a CB. I think hes pretty solid, but the problem is, hes getting paid like a #1 CB, which hes not worth.

Heh. I don't like Warfield because he is getting paid so much. If he gets cut/resigned for a good price, then I will start liking him.

ct
03-01-2006, 10:48 AM
Renegotiate, not release. Is that feasible under current CBA conditions? No idea...

RedThat
03-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Kawika Mitchell is a good player, and improving.

I think Jimmy Wilkerson has potential to be good at DE, but that is only speculation, so we can only count four.

Oh Kawika is solid. Definately one of the bright spots on our team.

As for Wilkerson, I don't think he has the potential to be a good DE. If he was good, the coaches woulda noticed by now, and he'd be starting. I think he could be slightly better than Hicks or a John Browning lets say. But thats not saying much. I don't think neither Hicks, Browning, and Wilkerson are "good" quality starting defensive lineman. All of those guys are backups. Solid backups.

RedThat
03-01-2006, 10:59 AM

Exactly. He's not worth what he is getting paid. Not showing it "on" and "off" the field.

RedNFeisty
03-01-2006, 11:03 AM
I have to agree. There may be players that deserve a little professional courtesy, but I'm not sure Warfield is one of them.

I doubt he called the team to let them know he was going to be out driving drunk and might not be available to play the first four weeks of the year.

So you and Shakesthecat have never been out drinking and drove home!?! I am sure that Warfield did not plan on getting pulled over while he was driving drunk. I do not condone driving drunk, but almost everyone had done it. Just because mistakes are made does not mean he does not deserve professional courtesy. If he sucked ass and had only been on the team a year or two I wouldn’t have even noticed, but he is a vet and I think he deserves some professional courtesy.

picasso
03-01-2006, 11:08 AM

As for Wilkerson, I don't think he has the potential to be a good DE. If he was good, the coaches woulda noticed by now, and he'd be starting. I think he could be slightly better than Hicks or a John Browning lets say. But thats not saying much. I don't think neither Hicks, Browning, and Wilkerson are "good" quality starting defensive lineman. All of those guys are backups. Solid backups.

You can say the same thing about Battle by that scenario you mentioned. We need to get rid of the back weight we've been dragging around such as Bartee, Woods and McCleon. Then cut the pay of Warfield drop him into the nickel spot and sign a CB like Ruff out of Miami in the draft with the first pick.

Fact of the matter with Battle he was never given an opportunity under DV to do anything. He's a bump and run CB and lacks speed to adjust playing off in zone coverage.

jspchief
03-01-2006, 11:08 AM
So you and Shakesthecat have never been out drinking and drove home!?! I am sure that Warfield did not plan on getting pulled over while he was driving drunk. I do not condone driving drunk, but almost everyone had done it. Just because mistakes are made does not mean he does not deserve professional courtesy. If he sucked ass and had only been on the team a year or two I wouldn’t have even noticed, but he is a vet and I think he deserves some professional courtesy.If I did drive drunk, and it affected the way I did my job and the performance of the company in general, I wouldn't be suprised if my employer had a lesser view of me than he did of the employees that didn't have such a history.

It's not like this was a one time thing. For him to get the 4 game suspension, he had to screw up three times. He didn't learn his lesson the first or second time. He's out of excuses.

The Chiefs deserved a player that kept out of trouble and played all 16 games last season. But Warfield didn't give that to them. I wouldn't blame KC for sending him packing.

wildcat09
03-01-2006, 11:11 AM
warfield is improving both on and off the field. he just needs to renegotiate a new deal that paid him less

Kclee
03-01-2006, 11:18 AM
If I did drive drunk, and it affected the way I did my job and the performance of the company in general, I wouldn't be suprised if my employer had a lesser view of me than he did of the employees that didn't have such a history.

It's not like this was a one time thing. For him to get the 4 game suspension, he had to screw up three times. He didn't learn his lesson the first or second time. He's out of excuses.

The Chiefs deserved a player that kept out of trouble and played all 16 games last season. But Warfield didn't give that to them. I wouldn't blame KC for sending him packing.

I agree.

milkman
03-01-2006, 11:20 AM

I had no faith in the coaching staff in evaluating talent.

Browning should never have been playing DT.
Wilkerson should never have been playing DT.

They are both overmatched in the middle of the D-Line.

Browning, before injuries earlier in his career, showed some real potential as a DE.
When he came back from those injuries, he was moved into the middle.

I see Wilkerson as the same kind of player.

He has potential, but as long as he is an undersized 280 lb DT, he'll never see that potential.

Move him out to LDE.

He's the same size as Hicks, younger, a little quicker, and a little faster.

He'll never be great, but I think he could be a good run stopper, and a 7-8 sack type player.

With Allen on the other side, and at least one good DT, the line would be much improved from last year.

RedThat
03-01-2006, 11:34 AM
You can say the same thing about Battle by that scenario you mentioned. We need to get rid of the back weight we've been dragging around such as Bartee, Woods and McCleon. Then cut the pay of Warfield drop him into the nickel spot and sign a CB like Ruff out of Miami in the draft with the first pick.

Fact of the matter with Battle he was never given an opportunity under DV to do anything. He's a bump and run CB and lacks speed to adjust playing off in zone coverage.

Julian Battle got hurt in training camp. Had it not been for the injury, I think he woulda competed for the starting CB spot for the first 4 games. Gunther wanted him to start, I remember that.

RedNFeisty
03-01-2006, 11:43 AM
If I did drive drunk, and it affected the way I did my job and the performance of the company in general, I wouldn't be suprised if my employer had a lesser view of me than he did of the employees that didn't have such a history.

I do not blame the Chiefs if they send him packing. I just think they should tell him that they may send him packing due to his past transgressions and any other reasons.

RedThat
03-01-2006, 11:44 AM
I had no faith in the coaching staff in evaluating talent.

Browning should never have been playing DT.
Wilkerson should never have been playing DT.

They are both overmatched in the middle of the D-Line.

Browning, before injuries earlier in his career, showed some real potential as a DE.
When he came back from those injuries, he was moved into the middle.

I see Wilkerson as the same kind of player.

He has potential, but as long as he is an undersized 280 lb DT, he'll never see that potential.

Move him out to LDE.

He's the same size as Hicks, younger, a little quicker, and a little faster.

He'll never be great, but I think he could be a good run stopper, and a 7-8 sack type player.

With Allen on the other side, and at least one good DT, the line would be much improved from last year.

Well, you kinda got a point, and I do agree Wilkerson should be moved to LDE. I never thought of Vermeil as a defensive coach anyway. I never was a fan of Karmelowicz and Hairston as well. They couldn't foresee defensive talent if their lives depended on it.

I wouldn't place my doubts one bit that he couldn't be a better player than Hicks. I just wanna say though, slooow down on those statistics you have set for Wilkerson...lol

*Im still all for signing a DE, or drafting one in the 1st round

Mecca
03-01-2006, 11:54 AM
I'll just point out for arguement sake having 2 30 year old corners isn't exactly an excellent plan either.

Warfields money is an issue, but I think it was pretty obvious last year Gun doesn't like him and would rather go with someone else.

My personal view is if Herm doesn't like these players, as bad as this defense has been, do your thing Herm, replace everyone.

milkman
03-01-2006, 12:01 PM
Well, you kinda got a point, and I do agree Wilkerson should be moved to LDE. I never thought of Vermeil as a defensive coach anyway. I never was a fan of Karmelowicz and Hairston as well. They couldn't foresee defensive talent if their lives depended on it.

I have even less faith in Gunt than either Karm or Hairston.

I wouldn't place my doubts one bit that he couldn't be a better player than Hicks. I just wanna say though, slooow down on those statistics you have set for Wilkerson...lol

I don't think those stats are too high.
I believe he is capable of pulling off those type of numbers, but, again, this is only speculation.

*Im still all for signing a DE, or drafting one in the 1st round

I'm all for drafting a DE, especially if Hali is sitting there at the #20 spot.

RedThat
03-01-2006, 12:08 PM
I'll just point out for arguement sake having 2 30 year old corners isn't exactly an excellent plan either.

Warfields money is an issue, but I think it was pretty obvious last year Gun doesn't like him and would rather go with someone else.

My personal view is if Herm doesn't like these players, as bad as this defense has been, do your thing Herm, replace everyone.

You got the replace everyone part right. Except, I'll chip in and add to that.

Replace everyone on defense. Except, Jared Allen, Kawika Mitchell, Patrick Surtain, and Derrick Johnson:D

Mr. Laz
03-01-2006, 12:12 PM
but I know it wasn’t my best year. I could have done a lot better

hasn't he said this about every game .... every year?

RedThat
03-01-2006, 12:13 PM
I don't think those stats are too high.
I believe he is capable of pulling off those type of numbers, but, again, this is only speculation.

ROFL ROFL

Come on SideWinder. You don't think your setting the bar too high for Wilkerson?

I mean you predicted the guy could get 7-8 sacks in a starting role. Do you know that, he has 0.5 sacks in 3 years playing time as a backup DE?

RedThat
03-01-2006, 12:15 PM
hasn't he said this about every game .... every year?

Oh he's said this a lot of times. Im tired of his pathetic excuses.

milkman
03-01-2006, 12:34 PM
ROFL ROFL

Come on SideWinder. You don't think your setting the bar too high for Wilkerson?

I mean you predicted the guy could get 7-8 sacks in a starting role. Do you know that, he has 0.5 sacks in 3 years playing time as a backup DE?

In three years, he's rarely seen the field as a DE.

He finally got some playing time this last season, as a DT.
He did yeoman's work there, considering he was overmatched in the middle of the D-Line.

I am not predicting 7-8 sacks.

I am saying that, given what I've seen of him at DE in preseason, and his work at DT last year, if we get a DT that can be a presence in the middle, I think Wilkerson has the potential for those kind of numbers.

Coach
03-01-2006, 12:35 PM
Good points there.

Now, Warfield's situation is a interesting one. Yes, he had off-the-field problems, and that he is overpaid. However, why is there talk of Warfield that should be cut, if I can name 2 other DB's that should be cut ahead of Warfield, and they are McCleon and Woods? And that Warfield's talent is probably better than McCleon and probably Woods to this point.

Mecca
03-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Good points there.

Now, Warfield's situation is a interesting one. Yes, he had off-the-field problems, and that he is overpaid. However, why is there talk of Warfield that should be cut, if I can name 2 other DB's that should be cut ahead of Warfield, and they are McCleon and Woods? And that Warfield's talent is probably better than McCleon and probably Woods to this point.

Problem is the Chiefs don't save near as much money cutting them as they do Warfield.........Warfield saves more than those 2 combined.

RedThat
03-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Speaking of saving money, I'd hate to see this happen, but it could very well be a possibility?

Chiefs | Shields could be cap casualty
Wed, 1 Mar 2006 10:03:05 -0800

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports Kansas City Chiefs OG Will Shields could be a salary cap casualty if his contract for 2006 is not altered. The Chiefs have been in talks with Shields and his agent in hopes of reducing his $6.67 million cap charge for 2006, which is the final year of his current deal. Shields is scheduled to earn $5.1 million in base salary and is due a $400,000 roster bonus.

penchief
03-01-2006, 12:44 PM

Plummer = Warfield

Warfield actually played pretty well last season, IMO.

He was one of the better tacklers on a team that has only a few good tacklers. I think Warfield could play Wesley's position better than Wesley. What is Wesley's cap hit, anyway?

That said, he's not someone that would be impossible to replace for less money.

CoMoChief
03-01-2006, 12:55 PM
I don't entirely agree.

Thats not true. Are you saying that the Chicago Bears have more talent in the secondary than we do? They have an great pass rush which puts less pressure on the DB's. Thats why Nathan Vasher looked so good this year. He was constantly in the position to make plays due to the pass rush they have.

Lzen
03-01-2006, 12:56 PM
Perhaps the Chiefs haven't decided whether or not to let him go. Maybe they're waiting to see if a new CBA gets done.

Lzen
03-01-2006, 12:57 PM
FTR, I think Warfield is paid too much. He should take a pay cut or be released. And McCleon should've been let go months ago.

greg63
03-01-2006, 01:00 PM
Has he checked the internet lately? It's a wealth of information; ask Gunther.

milkman
03-01-2006, 01:17 PM
I do not blame the Chiefs if they send him packing. I just think they should tell him that they may send him packing due to his past transgressions and any other reasons.

I think the Chiefs should let Warfield find out his status with the team the same way they let Gunt find out he was fired in 2000.

milkman
03-01-2006, 01:17 PM
Has he checked the internet lately? It's a wealth of information; ask Gunther.

Damn you, Greg! :cuss:

buddha
03-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Warfield isn't bad, but he's not a number one CB, not by a long shot. He shouldn't get paid at the level he's currently at. Plummer isn't injury prone, per se. He got injured last season, but he was clearly one of SF's up and coming defenders prior to that. He has more upside than Warfield, and I'm not down on Warfield at all. KC has far too many slugs on defense who really shouldn't be on the roster at all. I'm talking about Bartee, Hicks and Browning for starters. I don't care how much they make, they aren't NFL calibre players...and certainly not starters for God's sake! We need to cut these guys to clear cap room, and backfill through the draft and free agency.

Rausch
03-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Cut woods, DWarfIeld, Dexter, and Hicks.

Offer Warfield a pass back if he plays FS at much lower salary. If not, try find one in FA.

Have Wesley and Knight compete at SS. Winner starts, loser is cut. Sign Law.

Draft FS or DE 1st round...

Cherryontop
03-01-2006, 05:01 PM
Warfield will save 2 million this year alone.
Funny when i wrote that last week, i was the dumbest poster around.

I was told it was only a 500k hit and he was not worth cutting.

I guess Herm thinks as highly as i do on Warfield.

Let free agency begin!!

htismaqe
03-01-2006, 06:41 PM

Let free agency begin!!

ROFL

You actually think that your take on Warfield was what prompted people to blast your idiocy?

ROFL

Cherryontop
03-01-2006, 06:55 PM
Read my post again.
All i said was the 2 million dollar savings is a lot more than the 500k that was rumored.

It seems like Adam Teicher has it right. Even Warfield himself can see the writing on the wall.

He was even quoted as saying he could have done better and does not know where he fits in.

Cherryontop
03-01-2006, 06:59 PM
ROFL

You actually think that your take on Warfield was what prompted people to blast your idiocy?

ROFL

Actually my spelling error "started" the uproar.

Thanks for growing up!

TEX
03-01-2006, 07:05 PM

Let free agency begin!!

You know, Edwards was very interested in Warfield the year he signed his big contract with the Chiefs, right? Things must have changed since then, but it most definately has everything to do with $$$. IMHO, Warfield is an above average NFL CB who I hope is part of the CHIEFS plans for next season, all be it for a much lower salary.

htismaqe
03-01-2006, 07:16 PM
Actually my spelling error "started" the uproar.

Thanks for growing up!

Spelling error?

ROFL

Try complete and utter unreadability.

You could have come here and said:

"I think Warfield is overpaid. We should cut him and find somebody better."

Instead you wrote this gem:

Guys..what are your impression of this guy?I think my friend Red Bull has his red/yellow glasses on too tight..but hes trying to tell me that this guy has really ascended and is atleast a number 2 corner..i dont see how anyone would want him above a nickel back...IF THAT!!

Then he goes on to say that the front 7 sucks..thats why Warfield looks bad..Fine...its not that good..but then how can u justify his contract if ur just making excuses for a guy .Might as well start any dirt cheap player..All i know is this guy gets burned by anyone he goes up against....i dont hate the guy personally..lol....Am i too harsh??

Cherryontop
03-01-2006, 08:16 PM
You know, Edwards was very interested in Warfield the year he signed his big contract with the Chiefs, right? Things must have changed since then, but it most definately has everything to do with $$$. IMHO, Warfield is an above average NFL CB who I hope is part of the CHIEFS plans for next season, all be it for a much lower salary.

I was not aware that Herm was interested in signing Warfield back then, but that was then and this is now. Right now the only way he will be back is at a lower cost.

Cherryontop
03-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Is Warfield a 2 time offender?
So my understanding is that one more strike and he would be out a full year right?

Does the NFL consider both drugs and alcohol in the same category for the substance abuse program?

03-01-2006, 08:27 PM
With no CBA, KC could have both TO and Ty Law! Whooo Hoo!

Yeah, if it were 2007. We are not getting either player.

Halfcan
03-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Well Cherryontop and Halfcan should be pleased. I cant wait for the gloating. :shake:

Sorry, but I guess you have missed all the times EW has been burned for HUGE plays. Oh yeah and the guy is a drunk. Yeah I will be glad to see him go.

EW and MClingon=3 mil cap savings-sounds like a done deal.

Halfcan
03-01-2006, 10:48 PM

Let free agency begin!!

Yep there are a bunch of EW lovers on here-never mind letting the team down for 4 games and really having a crappy year.

Mecca
03-01-2006, 11:17 PM

That was before he was 30 with a drinking problem..........

BIG K
03-01-2006, 11:26 PM
Yeah, if it were 2007. We are not getting either player.

Scratch Sam Madison too thanks to our cap hell.....

Halfcan
03-02-2006, 12:07 AM
That was before he was 30 with a drinking problem..........

WOW somebody fell of the EW bandwagon. Welcome to the darkside. Course we havn't cut him yet.

greg63
03-02-2006, 12:44 AM
WOW somebody fell of the EW bandwagon. Welcome to the darkside. Course we havn't cut him yet.
I'd much rather see him go then Shields.

greg63
03-02-2006, 12:48 AM
Damn you, Greg! :cuss:

ROFLROFLROFL

Mecca
03-02-2006, 01:11 AM

We couldn't have cut him last year when you wanted to right before the season. Now at this point in time, I am ready to move on.