PDA

View Full Version : New Salary Cap without CBA: $94.5M

chefsos
03-01-2006, 09:35 PM
NFL | Cap set at $94.5 million
Wed, 1 Mar 2006 19:06:59 -0800

The Associated Press reports the NFL has set the salary cap for the 2006 season at $94.5 million. League owners will meet in New York on Thursday, March 2, in an attempt to work out a new collective bargaining agreement. A new CBA could add anywhere from $10 million to $15 million to the salary cap. Teams also have an additional six hours to terminate contracts and request waivers on players. The original deadline was set for 4 p.m. EST on Thursday, March 2, but has now been pushed back to 10 p.m.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Woo! Chiefs are only $18.2M over now*

*according to ESPN

CHENZ A!
03-01-2006, 09:44 PM
at least it wasn't lower

recxjake
03-01-2006, 09:47 PM
i bet they work it out tomorrow.... If not its gonna get really ugly.....

CHENZ A!
03-01-2006, 09:54 PM
Leigh Steinberg on Sportscenter said that Leinert(his client) will get more cash than Alex Smith did.. good luck with that buddy. :thumb:

LiL stumppy
03-01-2006, 10:01 PM
I hope they get this hole thing settled.I heard Adam Sheffner guy talking about it,and it didnt sound to great if it didnt get sorted out.

Dunit35
03-01-2006, 10:28 PM
No extension will hurt football so much. Horrible to know they can't get it done. It's more of a joke actually.

Joe Seahawk
03-01-2006, 11:08 PM
Luckily, the Seahawks have done a very good job mananging the cap..

Sitting pretty. :thumb:

Hawks sitting pretty under cap | Subscribe

The Seahawks must be chuckling as they watch all these teams slash payroll as free agency approaches. The Hawks should be $10-15 million under when free agency starts Friday, and that's without cutting anyone. Not bad for a team coming off a Super Bowl season.

Look at some of these other teams. Denver has collected a single playoff victory since going to the Super Bowl after the 1998 season, and yet here the Broncos are, cutting three starters just to make rent. The Dolphins, Bills, Titans, Texans ... none has set a standard for excellence in recent years, but each is slashing payroll, as are others.

Some of the big names released recently: Sam Adams, Lawyer Milloy, Stephen Davis, Brentston Buckner, Trevor Pryce, Jeb Putzier, Mike Anderson, Damion McIntosh, Sam Madison, Tebucky Jones, Duane Starks, Jason Fabini, Ty Law, Ahmed Plummer. Take a closer look at those names and you'll see that most of their teams had cap problems even without enjoying particularly successful 2005 seasons. Bad cap planning all the way around.

The Seahawks have a couple of bloated salaries they could address at some point -- it's hard to imagine LB Jamie Sharper collecting that $1.5 million roster bonus this month -- but any such moves will reflect value judgments and not cap-related maneuvering. That is pretty remarkable.

As we look at the Seahawks' fattest cap numbers for 2006, we notice that the two biggest cap figures belong to the guys who should be receiving that kind of money: the starting QB and starting LT, Pro Bowl starters both. Matt Hasselbeck and Walter Jones count a combined $16 million against the 2006 cap by my accounting. The next four highest cap figures belong to Grant Wistrom ($5.83M), Sharper ($4.5M), Andre Dyson ($4.26M) and Darrell Jackson ($3.83M). Dyson stands to collect a $3 million roster bonus, so his status might be worth monitoring. But the Hawks have so much cap room that they could carry Dyson's number just to give themselves a starting-caliber option at a key position.

With so many other teams facing cap problems and with accomplished veterans hitting the market every day, the Seahawks appear to be in strong position to re-sign their own key free agents. I would not expect there to be a long line of teams ready to outbid the Seahawks on RB Shaun Alexander or LG Steve Hutchinson, at least not in the current climate. Seattle is in better position than most other teams to pay these guys.
Posted by mikesando Mar 1, 2006 7:56 pm

http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/

Pitt Gorilla
03-01-2006, 11:10 PM
The NFLPA would be nuts not to give in. 10-15 million per team this year? That's a lot of jack.

Mecca
03-01-2006, 11:13 PM
The NFLPA would be nuts not to give in. 10-15 million per team this year? That's a lot of jack.

In order for that to happen the owners have to work out revenue sharing first..........the major problem is between the owners.

jspchief
03-01-2006, 11:26 PM
In order for that to happen the owners have to work out revenue sharing first..........the major problem is between the owners.Of course, if the players hadn't decided they deserved a share of that additional revenue, the owners wouldn't be having this discussion.

Taco John
03-01-2006, 11:40 PM
The players are asking for way too much.

tk13
03-01-2006, 11:43 PM
Yeah, but they're trading that for not having any salary cap at all in future years.

listopencil
03-01-2006, 11:55 PM
Some of the big names released recently: Sam Adams, Lawyer Milloy, Stephen Davis, Brentston Buckner, Trevor Pryce, Jeb Putzier, Mike Anderson,

Jeb Putzier is a big name? Pryce, yes. Anderson, maybe. Putzier? No. Those are the only three guys we cut.

htismaqe
03-02-2006, 07:18 AM
In order for that to happen the owners have to work out revenue sharing first..........the major problem is between the owners.

According to ESPN, one owner said they are more unified now than he can ever remember.

I really think the owners have it worked out, it's the players being stupid now.

HemiEd
03-02-2006, 07:23 AM
According to ESPN, one owner said they are more unified now than he can ever remember.

I really think the owners have it worked out, it's the players being stupid now.

Agreed, the lack of a cap increase for this year was reported to cost the players 10 to 15 million per team. Multiply that by 32 and it is in the 300 million range. The difference between 56.2 and 60% of revenues is supposed to be around 300 million.

morphius
03-02-2006, 08:34 AM

I'm waiting for all those players that thought they would be FA's getting off of their 3 year rookie contract to learn that they would suddenly be Restricted FA's for a couple more years with little to no hope of that big dream payday.