PDA

View Full Version : The Players are screwing themselves...

Taco John
03-02-2006, 03:07 PM
See all these veteran free agents with big contracts being dumped? There is a good portion of them who would have kept their current contract with their teams had the cap gone up like expected. Now they are cut, and there is a lot of dead money on the table. Do you think any of these veterans are going to be able to get even close to the same deals in this uncertain market? Some of those base salaries were pretty cushy. Kiss them goodbye, especially you veterans. Welcome to league-minimumville.

The players are screwing themselves.

KCTitus
03-02-2006, 03:09 PM
That's pretty obvious, however, I dont recall Upshaw putting forward the owners offer to the players and them subsequently voting it down.

OnTheWarpath15
03-02-2006, 03:12 PM
My guess is most players thought this would never happen until today....

And now are pissed at Upshaw.

tk13
03-02-2006, 03:14 PM
That is the common thinking, but I think they were prepared for this. They're trading one year with a smaller cap for no salary cap at all in the future. Plus they have a $200 million "war chest" saved up should we go to lockout mode. I think Upshaw has every step of this thing planned out. I don't know if it's going to backfire but I do think the players association knew what it was getting into here.

Skip Towne
03-02-2006, 03:15 PM
Replacement players!!!

StcChief
03-02-2006, 03:19 PM
The CAP CASUALTY vets are gonna speak out. wait and see. It may not be pretty for Upshaw.

OnTheWarpath15
03-02-2006, 03:19 PM
I do think the players association knew what it was getting into here.

If by PA, you mean PA LEADERSHIP, I agree.

I really honestly think many players steer clear and figure it's all taken care of, that Upshaw will take care of their interests.

Until something like this happens, and players around the league are calling each other saying, "why didn't we accept that deal?"

Mr. Kotter
03-02-2006, 03:23 PM
I

If by PA, you mean PA LEADERSHIP, I agree.

I really honestly think many players steer clear and figure it's all taken care of, that Upshaw will take care of their interests.

Until something like this happens, and players around the league are calling each other saying, "why didn't we accept that deal?"

I think Upshaw is gonna be catching a lot of heat in the days.....and if this goes on.....weeks to come. Greedy bastards. :shake:

OnTheWarpath15
03-02-2006, 03:26 PM
I think Upshaw is gonna be catching a lot of heat in the days.....and if this goes on.....weeks to come. Greedy bastards

Reminicent of the NHL lockout.

Players would hear reports of rejected offers and call each other saying, "why did we reject that"?

A deal was finally struck, and they put the union head out on his ass.

Don't think we'll get to that point here, but I'll bet players cell phones are burning up.

Skip Towne
03-02-2006, 03:27 PM
It will be comical to see how long $200 mil lasts that greedy bunch of assholes.

beavis
03-02-2006, 03:30 PM
It will be comical to see how long $200 mil lasts that greedy bunch of assholes.
Hey, they may make a lot of money, but the spend a lot of money.

Iowanian
03-02-2006, 03:37 PM
I've been telling people to Eff themselves for years.....but until Taco confirmed it, I didn't know it was physically possible.

The players union, is the one screwing them. Ultimately, you're right....the players are responsible.

Unfortunately, the one's who probably really get screwed in the end, are the fans.

Mr. Laz
03-02-2006, 04:34 PM
The players are screwing themselves.

this thread is worthless without pics

errr ... nevermind :Lin:

Valiant
03-02-2006, 05:57 PM
That is the common thinking, but I think they were prepared for this. They're trading one year with a smaller cap for no salary cap at all in the future. Plus they have a $200 million "war chest" saved up should we go to lockout mode. I think Upshaw has every step of this thing planned out. I don't know if it's going to backfire but I do think the players association knew what it was getting into here.

Then lockout the association and bring on the rookies and replacements.. Say 'no' to a uncapped nfl...

chefsos
03-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Then lockout the association and bring on the rookies and replacements.. Say 'no' to a uncapped nfl...
Pretty sure that I heard the NFLPA was gonna decertify anyway if this thing doesn't get done. Maybe that's just semantics, or legal posturing, or...never mind.

BigRock
03-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Blame the owners, not the players. If several greedy millionaires could manage to work out the revenue sharing issues amongst themselves, they could better address what the NFLPA is asking for.

CoMoChief
03-02-2006, 06:37 PM
Replacement players!!!

Looks like were gonna have to call up Shane Falco.

Braincase
03-02-2006, 06:42 PM
Looks like were gonna have to call up Shane Falco.

Only if he brings the cheerleader with him.