PDA

View Full Version : Anyone listen to 610?

The Bad Guy
03-02-2006, 08:13 PM
A poster on another board said they reported that Bell restructured his contract down from 7 mill to 1.5 mill.

Also, Shields is restructuring down to a 2-year deal with about a 2 mill cap hit and Gonzo is restructuring as well.

Not bad. I could have done without Bell, but not bad.

4th and Long
03-02-2006, 08:17 PM
Shields is restructuring down to a 2-year deal with about a 2 mill cap hit and Gonzo is restructuring as well.
Who to believe ... :hmmm:
Chiefs | Shields to be released
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 10:36:55 -0800

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports Kansas City Chiefs OL Will Shields has been informed he will be released.
Fox Sports is where the news originally "broke". Supposedly Glazer got this information from Athan. Nobody else has confirmed it though except for Athan and Glazer, as far as I have read. kcchiefs.com and ESPN both reported the other cuts, but no Shields.
Oh, the drama.

The Bad Guy
03-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Shields said he wasn't cut. He was on Sirius radio.

SPchief
03-02-2006, 08:18 PM
but but athan is glazers source, it HAS to be true

4th and Long
03-02-2006, 08:20 PM
but but athan is glazers source, it HAS to be true
In the past few years alone, the number of times Athan was right would fit into an envelope. In comparison, to clear the appropriate space for the number of times he's been dead wrong, one would have to rent a fuggin warehouse.

Hammock Parties
03-02-2006, 08:22 PM
In the past few years alone, the number of times Athan was right would fit into an envelope. In comparison, to clear the appropriate space for the number of times he's been dead wrong, one would have to rent a fuggin warehouse.

FTR Athan has been reporting the opposite.

And Athan was right about Warfield, too, if you remember.

Saulbadguy
03-02-2006, 08:24 PM
OMFG

4th and Long

I don't read Athan's dribble. So kill me.

Kclee

Those go in the envelope then.

tk13
03-02-2006, 08:26 PM
Yeah, I guess not. I went and checked Warpaint's front page and they changed their report saying Shields wasn't cut.

I don't do much Athan bashing anymore because it's so common, but I have to hand it to him this time. This might be his crowning achievement, burned a major NFL reporter, and put out a false report that a guy was out of a job. Pretty impressive.

tk13
03-02-2006, 08:28 PM

That is incorrect, WPI's front page early this morning led with a report that Will Shields was told he was being cut. On the initial thread discussing Shields' release Phobia even mentioned they'd had the news up way before anyone else and were Glazer's source for this information.

the Talking Can
03-02-2006, 08:29 PM

in reference to the thread starter, that is exactly what Athan reported on 610...I'm sure the star board is referring to his interview...you know it's Athan cause even his speech is mis-spelled....

nychief
03-02-2006, 08:29 PM

you want to make love to his rectum.

4th and Long
03-02-2006, 08:30 PM
That is incorrect, WPI's front page early this morning led with a report that Will Shields was told he was being cut. On the initial thread discussing Shields' release Phobia even mentioned they'd had the news up way before anyone else and were Glazer's source for this information.
A little rep headed your way for clearing up the thruth.

You were saying, cheese?

Saulbadguy
03-02-2006, 08:31 PM
So, WPI jumped the gun?

nychief
03-02-2006, 08:32 PM
So, WPI jumped the gun?

A little. They reported that we cut Ed Hartwell.

morphius
03-02-2006, 08:34 PM
Shields said he wasn't cut. He was on Sirius radio.
This is good news! I want him to finish as a Chief if possible.

Hammock Parties
03-02-2006, 08:35 PM
A little rep headed your way for clearing up the thruth.

You were saying, cheese?

Sorry, I didn't see that report.

I dunno why the report changed.

4th and Long
03-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Sorry, I didn't see that report.

I dunno why the report changed.
Uhhh ... because it's Athan. Duh. :p

Dunit35
03-02-2006, 08:37 PM
A poster on another board said they reported that Bell restructured his contract down from 7 mill to 1.5 mill.

Also, Shields is restructuring down to a 2-year deal with about a 2 mill cap hit and Gonzo is restructuring as well.

I hope all of this is true.

Hammock Parties
03-02-2006, 08:37 PM
Uhhh ... because it's Athan. Duh. :p

At the end of the day, he got it right.

4th and Long
03-02-2006, 08:39 PM
He retracted his obvious mistake. That's not getting it right. That's covering his ass.

Mile High Mania
03-02-2006, 08:39 PM

Why because he changed his article? Oh wait, you're affilliated with WPI ... that's right. Mini-phobia.

Hammock Parties
03-02-2006, 08:41 PM
Why because he changed his article? Oh wait, you're affilliated with WPI ... that's right. Mini-phobia.

I don't see any other media outlet reporting it correctly. Did Fox Sports follow up?

A reporter can't do anything about it if he's given false information.

TEX
03-02-2006, 08:41 PM

Bell? Who's he?

SPchief
03-02-2006, 08:42 PM

Anybody can get it right if they take multiple guesses at it.

The Bad Guy
03-02-2006, 08:42 PM
in reference to the thread starter, that is exactly what Athan reported on 610...I'm sure the star board is referring to his interview...you know it's Athan cause even his speech is mis-spelled....

I didn't get it from the Star, but when checking out the collation's website for the first time in forever.

Mile High Mania
03-02-2006, 08:43 PM
I don't see any other media outlet reporting it correctly. Did Fox Sports follow up?

A reporter can't do anything about it if he's given false information.

Well... Glazer (reporter) reported it incorrectly based on false information that came from Athan.

Fox was the only one to report Shields was cut, so since he wasn't cut ... all other outlets reported it correctly, by not reporting it. It's really an easy concept.

nychief
03-02-2006, 08:43 PM
He retracted his obvious mistake. That's not getting it right. That's covering his ass.

Athan always does that. He is a joke. He will never be used as a source again by Glazer that is for sure. I am pretty sure that Athan's "source" inside the chiefs like the equipment manager or something...

Frankie
03-02-2006, 08:44 PM
Keep f#@king doubting Bell. The man has been a great LB. If this report is true, it would be a great price for having him. My only concern with him is maybe his injury was/is worse than we've been told. But if he comes back healthy next year, he's welcome back in my book. As long as he doesn't take a big chunk of our cap away.

kcxiv
Nothing is EVERy for sure. Shit happens in the "11th Hour" as they say. Shit can change from 1 second to the next.

The Bad Guy

That's complete bullshit and you know it.

It's a retraction. He wrote something, turned out to be BS...again. He duped a major reporter too.

If I recall, you used to write for a college newspaper. If you wrote a BS story, would you take any heat for it?

I'd love to go to my editor and tell her after my BS story ran, "well at least at the end of the day, I got it right."

He was wrong. I'm not turning this into an Athan piss fest, again, but this is a new low in trying to defend him.

Hammock Parties
03-02-2006, 08:46 PM
Nothing is EVERy for sure. Shit happens in the "11th Hour" as they say. Shit can change from 1 second to the next.

Yep. The fact that Athan followed up and got it right within hours shows how dedicated he is.

Dunit35
Keep f#@king doubting Bell. The man has been a great LB. If this report is true, it would be a great price for having him. My only concern with him is maybe his injury was/is worse than we've been told. But if he comes back healthy next year, he's welcome back in my book. As long as he doesn't take a big chunk of our cap away.

I would love for Bell to stay. He looks chubby out there, maybe it's just me. A full offseason of him actually working should really help him.

Saulbadguy
Journalist fights are so funny.

The Bad Guy

Our cornerbacks had more tackles than our outside linebacker.

That's pitiful. I don't care how good he WAS. He was slow, out of position and a liability last year. That has zero to do with a shoulder injury.

Mile High Mania
03-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Yep. The fact that Athan followed up and got it right within hours shows how dedicated he is.

ROFL Do you give him oral?

The Bad Guy
03-02-2006, 08:47 PM

Why? Because some take credibility and grammar very seriously and some don't?

The Bad Guy
03-02-2006, 08:48 PM

Did he get ahold of your naked pictures with Darth Vadar or something?

Hammock Parties
That's complete bullshit and you know it.

It's a retraction. He wrote something, turned out to be BS...again. He duped a major reporter too.

If I recall, you used to write for a college newspaper. If you wrote a BS story, would you take any heat for it?

I'd love to go to my editor and tell her after my BS story ran, "well at least at the end of the day, I got it right."

He was wrong. I'm not turning this into an Athan piss fest, again, but this is a new low in trying to defend him.

If I got something wrong it was because someone fed me incorrect information.

There's nothing a reporter can do about that.

nychief

you are in love.

Hammock Parties
03-02-2006, 08:49 PM

The pen is mightier than the sword.

HolmeZz
03-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Good for Bell if that's true.

Frankie
03-02-2006, 08:50 PM

That's pitiful. I don't care how good he WAS. He was slow, out of position and a liability last year. That has zero to do with a shoulder injury.
I saw him many times get to the right place only to barely lift his arm to touch the man with the ball. I think he had a bad shoulder last year. I just hope it's not permanent.

The Bad Guy
03-02-2006, 08:50 PM

They can check their sources. Reporters are taught to triple check sources. You don't run a story based on one source. That's Glazer's fault.

I find it funny that Phobia came on here saying that Glazer got his info from Athan immediately after the story ran on Foxsports and then it turns out to be wrong.

Hammock Parties
03-02-2006, 08:51 PM
They can check their sources. Reporters are taught to triple check sources. You don't run a story based on one source. That's Glazer's fault.

You don't know if it was only one source. Maybe the story changed during the day.

You don't know.

Dunit35
03-02-2006, 08:52 PM

and a lot to do with an offseason that was filled with question marks as to how hard he really could work out. A full offseason where he believes his shoulder is healed will hopefully change everything.

The Bad Guy
03-02-2006, 08:53 PM
You don't know if it was only one source. Maybe the story changed during the day.

You don't know.

Will Shields went on the radio saying he was never informed he was going to be cut.

No other publication ran a story saying he was cut except Fox Sports, who got their info from Athan.

Athan has a history of being full of shit.

I do know all about him. I know he doesn't double or triple check anything.

The Bad Guy
03-02-2006, 08:54 PM
and a lot to do with an offseason that was filled with question marks as to how hard he really could work out. A full offseason where he believes his shoulder is healed will hopefully change everything.

If you guys really want to believe that, go ahead.

SPchief
03-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Will Shields went on the radio saying he was never informed he was going to be cut.

No other publication ran a story saying he was cut except Fox Sports, who got their info from Athan.

Athan has a history of being full of shit.

I do know all about him. I know he doesn't double or triple check anything.

Or spellcheck.

Dunit35
03-02-2006, 08:55 PM

Fine...we will.

Skip Towne
03-02-2006, 08:57 PM
You've lost what little credibility you had with your defending that Athan jackass. You're not even much of a shill.

Hammock Parties
03-02-2006, 08:58 PM
I know he doesn't double or triple check anything.

:rolleyes:

You have no way of knowing that.

The fact that he FOLLOWED UP to the story and got it right later in the day shows YOU are FOS.

Hammock Parties
03-02-2006, 08:59 PM
Or spellcheck.

I encourage you to check out the upcoming draft issue of WPI.

Kclee
03-02-2006, 09:01 PM

Gun did pretty good with Mitchell after 1 year, maybe he could do the same for Bell. I'll give him one more year.

The Bad Guy
03-02-2006, 09:03 PM

The fact that he FOLLOWED UP to the story and got it right later in the day shows YOU are FOS.

He had no choice but to write a retraction. What was he going to just leave the Will Shields cut story up all day?

It's not hard to follow up on a radio interview where Will Shields basically lifted up his leg and pissed all of his "scoop".

Frankie
Why would that be so hard to believe? The man had a bad season. BFD! It could be he was badly injured. It could be he had not learned the new system. Or it could simply be he had an off year like a lot of good players sometimes have. It's not like he's been a bust in his career. I say at $1.5 mil he'd be a low risk investment.

Dunit35
Gun did pretty good with Mitchell after 1 year, maybe he could do the same for Bell. I'll give him one more year.

I am giving him one more year myself.

The Bad Guy
03-02-2006, 09:04 PM
I encourage you to check out the upcoming draft issue of WPI.

I think everyone should check it out so we know who won't be playing on the Chiefs next year.

Mile High Mania
03-02-2006, 09:04 PM

That's the dumbest thing you've ever typed... seriously, and that's saying a lot.

So, he makes a wild ass claim at 9am.

At 5pm it's obvious to everyone in the free world that that wild ass claim is wrong ... so he changes it and now he's "got the story right"?

Riiiggghhht.

kcxiv
03-02-2006, 09:05 PM
Every scoop reporter has a history of reporting shit. lol

I dont know athan, i dont care about athan, but sometimes as a scoop reporter you get em wrong and you get them right.

Phobia
03-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Let's push Athan aside for a moment.

Did the NFL not do about 6 180's today with regard to their direction with the CBA, Free Agency, and the Players' Union? Yes.

Did they throw EVERYBODY for a loop around 4:00 when they announced they were extending for 3 days? Did that change the status of a lot of players?

Yes it did.

I think some of the smarter of the group might be able to finish where this is going.

Dartgod
03-02-2006, 09:07 PM
Every scoop reporter has a history of reporting shit. lol

I dont know athan, i dont care about athan, but sometimes as a scoop reporter you get em wrong and you get em wrong and you get em wrong and you get em wrong and you get em wrong and you get em wrong and you get em wrong and you get em wrong and you get em wrong and you get em wrong and you get em wrong and you get em wrong and every once in a blue moon you get them right.
Fixed your post...

Mile High Mania
Phobia, this certainly isn't my battle... but, I just think the 72 hour extension is a convenient thing to use in this instance.

Hammock Parties
I think everyone should check it out so we know who won't be playing on the Chiefs next year.

The mock has us taking Mathias Kiwanuka.

The Bad Guy
03-02-2006, 09:08 PM

Did the NFL not do about 6 180's today with regard to their direction with the CBA, Free Agency, and the Players' Union? Yes.

Did they throw EVERYBODY for a loop around 4:00 when they announced they were extending for 3 days? Did that change the status of a lot of players?

Yes it did.

I think some of the smarter of the group might be able to finish where this is going.

What about Will Shields being on Sirius Radio around 4:15 (est) saying no one on the Chiefs notified him he was being cut?

The NFL didn't announce the extension until after 5.

That's an hour difference.

Kclee

Thanks for putting me on the spot like that.

kcxiv
Fixed your post...no you didnt fix anything. My original post was just FINE!

I just dont understand why there is so many haters. Then again, bieng from cali your taught not to hate. I dunno how it is everywhere else. lol

Skip Towne
03-02-2006, 09:09 PM

Yeah, I guess verifying a rumor would be out of the question.

HemiEd
03-02-2006, 09:09 PM

Yes it did.

This is true from what I observed. I am glad for the extension and do not really care for the reporters becoming the news.

Dartgod
03-02-2006, 09:10 PM
no you didnt fix anything. My original post was just FINE!

I just dont understand why there is so many haters. Then again, bieng from cali your taught not to hate. I dunno how it is everywhere else. lol
Yeah, my post was ooozing with hate. :rolleyes:

Kclee
03-02-2006, 09:11 PM

He's CHINA!!!!

kcxiv
03-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Yeah, my post was ooozing with hate. :rolleyes:
i wasnt really reffering to you, if you were not hating then, its all good. Just take a look at the other posts n you will see alot of hating.

Phobia
03-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Phobia, this certainly isn't my battle... but, I just think the 72 hour extension is a convenient thing to use in this instance.

Convenient? For whom? If Athan is on the phone with Shields' agent all day off & on, wouldn't one assume that the extension changed some circumstances? It freed up some staff down at One Arrowhead to focus on different things such as renegotiating Will Shields' contract.

Do people really think Athan is making up quotes from Shields' agent and running them so he can sell some premium subscriptions?

Hammock Parties
03-02-2006, 09:15 PM
Do people really think Athan is making up quotes from Shields' agent and running them so he can sell some premium subscriptions?

Duh. Athan is a snake oil salesman. He only cares about his burgeoning profit line.

Skip Towne
03-02-2006, 09:18 PM

Yes it did.

How many reporters made complete asses of themselves by taking every bait? Athan is a charlatan who isn't very good at selling snake oil. And, he has poor grammar and spelling. I'm still trying to figure out why he thinks he is a journalist.

Phobia
03-02-2006, 09:20 PM
What about Will Shields being on Sirius Radio around 4:15 (est) saying no one on the Chiefs notified him he was being cut?

The NFL didn't announce the extension until after 5.

That's an hour difference.

Nick posted this quote at 3:15 Central.

Though the two sides could not come to a deal before today to resolve their financial impasse, his agent Joe Linta confirmed to Scout.com that Shields does intend to play for someone in 2006 and would not rule out a return to the Chiefs in the very near future.

"Will Shields will play this year, hopefully with the Chiefs but certainly with someone,” his agent told us on Thursday afternoon. “Will Shields has never missed a game in his 13 years of service with the team.”

I hate being an apologist for Nick. I really, really don't like it. It's not part of my responsibility or anything. I just want the guy to be given the same consideration as other scoop reporters. Clayton misses far more frequently with regard to Chiefs crap.

BigRock
03-02-2006, 09:24 PM
The impression I got from the local media this afternoon was that Shields would be cut to get his contract off the books before the midnight deadline, but that KC would work with him tonight on signing a new deal that would go into effect tomorrow. So it didn't seem like he was really getting "cut", it was more technical than anything. Basically it was a restructuring, but they had to get rid of his contract in case they couldn't work out a new deal by midnight.

So it kinda seems like semantics to argue about who did or didn't say that Shields would be cut, but maybe I'm missing something.

nychief
03-02-2006, 09:25 PM
Nick posted this quote at 3:15 Central.

I hate being an apologist for Nick. I really, really don't like it. It's not part of my responsibility or anything. I just want the guy to be given the same consideration as other scoop reporters. Clayton misses far more frequently with regard to Chiefs crap.

First off the Litna said the same thing this mornings Star about Shields future. Secondly, 4:15 est is 3:15 central, no?

Spicy McHaggis
03-02-2006, 09:26 PM

According to your logic here...

Man on street: "Hey Spicy! That crazy guy with the sign on the street corner over there is the Lord Jesus Christ!!! You should right a story about it!"
Me: "Wow what a great idea! I'd better get right on that and not bother to do any actual research on the issue because I want to "scoop" the story and make $$$!"

(Hours later when the real Jesus Christ has appeared and cast festering boils upon me and turned all my water to wine)

Me: "Oh well, I'll just change my story to say that it wasn't true. Never mind that people are actually paying me for accurate information and have damned their eternal souls by worshiping a false prophet via my poorly written and researched article. I got it right in the end. And still made money."

Phobia
03-02-2006, 09:30 PM
The impression I got from the local media this afternoon was that Shields would be cut to get his contract off the books before the midnight deadline, but that KC would work with him tonight on signing a new deal that would go into effect tomorrow. So it didn't seem like he was really getting "cut", it was more technical than anything. Basically it was a restructuring, but they had to get rid of his contract in case they couldn't work out a new deal by midnight.

So it kinda seems like semantics to argue about who did or didn't say that Shields would be cut, but maybe I'm missing something.

Thank you.

This is what I have been trying to convey - albeit poorly.

Very nice, BigRock.

Fat Elvis
03-02-2006, 09:37 PM

At $99/year...yes.

jspchief
03-02-2006, 09:37 PM
This thread is f*cking hilarious.

Athan once again reports bullshit. States it as fact before it is fact. Phobia comes in thumping his chest over the triumph of WPI getting one right.

5 hours later, Athan and Phil look like clowns, and Glazer is erasing a name from his list of sources.

You can say all you want about the crazy situation with the CBA and cap, but the fact remains, it was reported that Shields had been cut. He was never cut. It was bullshit, once again.

sedated
03-02-2006, 09:46 PM
Have we learned nothing from the 2000 election?

Phobia
03-02-2006, 09:48 PM
You can say all you want about the crazy situation with the CBA and cap, but the fact remains, it was reported that Shields had been cut. He was never cut. It was bullshit, once again.
Yeah - that's true. I just went back and read the original article. I agree. He should have maintained "to be cut" or "likely to be cut" or "cut if he doesn't renegotiate his deal today".

I completely agree. Nick screwed that crap up. He's GOT to be more careful about that stuff. No wonder you guys are so harsh.

jspchief
03-02-2006, 09:54 PM
Yeah - that's true. I just went back and read the original article. I agree. He should have maintained "to be cut" or "likely to be cut" or "cut if he doesn't renegotiate his deal today".

I completely agree. Nick screwed that crap up. He's GOT to be more careful about that stuff. No wonder you guys are so harsh.I had a feeling this was going to happen when the Chiefs website reported cuts that didn't include Shields.

The problem is, for your info to be worth more than "free", you have to stick your neck out. So far, your sources aren't reliable enough, or your "reporters" aren't thorough enough. You're basically pretending to have inside info that you don't really have.

listopencil
03-02-2006, 09:55 PM

Gochiefs is affiliated with WPI?

jspchief
03-02-2006, 09:57 PM
Gochiefs is affiliated with WPI?gochiefs is a scrotum ornament on at least one admin or mod on every football website on earth.

He's the living definition of a kiss ass.

Wile_E_Coyote
03-02-2006, 09:57 PM
no wonder the sitcom is all but dead

Sure-Oz
03-02-2006, 10:02 PM
im so glad the cut was untrue, if it didnt have Glazer on it i wouldnt have thought it to be true, but i shouldve known when Athan was the real source behind it, lol what a turn.

Phobia
Nick had the info, but he did a poor job of presenting it. The info was "the Chiefs are prepared to cut Shields if they can't reach a reduced salary with him" - his own agent acknowledged as much.

I can understand the mistake. It's a tough lesson he's failed to learn more than a couple times.

Skip Towne
Convenient? For whom? If Athan is on the phone with Shields' agent all day off & on, wouldn't one assume that the extension changed some circumstances? It freed up some staff down at One Arrowhead to focus on different things such as renegotiating Will Shields' contract.

Since you asked, I don't believe a f*cking thing Athan says. I can guess just as good as he can. And could you explain what Shields agent stood to gain by talking to a shyster such as Athan? Do you really expect us to believe this bullshit? I'm beginning to question the shit you put out.

Fat Elvis
03-02-2006, 10:04 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=136509

I feel puny posting this because it's an "I told you so" which isn't really my style.

I'm not asking anybody to sign up for the insider info. I don't really care about that. I'm just pointing out when he's correct.

So much more comedy gold in that thread....

Phobs, you need to jump ship, dude...that clown is destroying your credibility as well.

Fat Elvis
03-02-2006, 10:06 PM
I can understand the mistake. It's a tough lesson he's failed to learn more than a couple times.

Sorta like eighth grade english, huh?

nychief
03-02-2006, 10:13 PM
What does Al Saunders, Coach of the Detroit Lions, have to say about all this?

jspchief
03-02-2006, 10:13 PM
Nick had the info, but he did a poor job of presenting it. The info was "the Chiefs are prepared to cut Shields if they can't reach a reduced salary with him" - his own agent acknowledged as much.

I can understand the mistake. It's a tough lesson he's failed to learn more than a couple times.Here's my problem with that excuse.

If WPI puts out an article that speculates Shields could be a cap cut, it's not worth a "premium". That's something you can get from anywhere. Hell, you can get it from some random post on a BB.

But if it is presented as a fact, it comes off as showing that WPI does indeed know something that no one else knows. In other words, it sells.

I'm sure everyone involved would love for us to believe that it was an honest mistake. But the fact is, Athan has a history of putting sexy titles and statements in premium articles, that turn out to be factually inaccurate. He's done this before.

It's easy to bat your eyes and say "whoops, we did it again", pretending to be stupid. But I can't help but think he's in fact very smart, and knows that phrasing things in a way that will cover his ass will make for articles that aren't worth paying for. That's why I think he's a con-man. He knows exactly what he's doing.

Sure-Oz
03-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Why the **** would i pay for bs like that when i can post it myself, chiefsplanet is FREE and we get news just fine. WPI ****ed up agian, its just funny.

beavis
03-02-2006, 10:23 PM
Why the **** would i pay for bs like that when i can post it myself, chiefsplanet is FREE and we get news just fine. WPI ****ed up agian, its just funny.
I just can't believe he actually dupes anyone into dropping a Ben Franklin to read his crap.

Fat Elvis
03-02-2006, 10:26 PM
I just can't believe he actually dupes anyone into dropping a Ben Franklin to read his crap.

Nick Athan is a lawsuit waiting to happen. You can't claim to have "exclusive" and "insider" info when you make shit up and charge people for it. That is false advertising.

|Zach|
03-02-2006, 10:30 PM
Some CPers really have a hard on for WPI.

Hammock Parties
03-02-2006, 10:31 PM
Gochiefs is affiliated with WPI?

Sure.

morphius
03-02-2006, 10:33 PM
I think it is just the opposite.

|Zach|
03-02-2006, 10:33 PM
I think it is just the opposite.
Explain.

jspchief
03-02-2006, 10:35 PM
CPers really have a hard on for WPI.You might want to check the backstory this particular time. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=136591

Someone started a thread saying Fox was reporting Shields was cut. No mention of WPI, Athan, or Phobia.

Phil's the one that came in laying claim that WPI was Fox's source, and telling us we needed to recognize that they got one right.

I'm not saying that this place doesn't love to hate WPI, but this particular time, WPI brought it on themselves by coming in thumping their chests. If Phil hadn't mentioned it, I would have never attributed the Fox story to WPI.

WilliamTheIrish
03-02-2006, 10:35 PM

Seems to me that some do. But mainly, most Cpers just want the story to be right.

Phobia
03-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Here's my problem with that excuse.

If WPI puts out an article that speculates Shields could be a cap cut, it's not worth a "premium". That's something you can get from anywhere. Hell, you can get it from some random post on a BB.

But if it is presented as a fact, it comes off as showing that WPI does indeed know something that no one else knows. In other words, it sells.

I'm sure everyone involved would love for us to believe that it was an honest mistake. But the fact is, Athan has a history of putting sexy titles and statements in premium articles, that turn out to be factually inaccurate. He's done this before.

It's easy to bat your eyes and say "whoops, we did it again", pretending to be stupid. But I can't help but think he's in fact very smart, and knows that phrasing things in a way that will cover his ass will make for articles that aren't worth paying for. That's why I think he's a con-man. He knows exactly what he's doing.

I can see why you'd think that. I'm not that jaded because I haven't taken it personally. However, I can't put myself out there for an Athan scoop any longer because it might blow up in my face. It won't take me as long to learn.

Sure-Oz
03-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Seems to me that some do. But mainly, most Cpers just want the story to be right.
agreed, its a joke when hearing anything from WPI or Athan, If they were actually right most the time that would be nice, it's comedy, esp. since they charge for their BS, it wouldn't be a biggie as much if it was just another free site.

Skip Towne
03-02-2006, 10:40 PM

I can't follow why you think Athan is smart. Smart people can spell and they have good grammar. Nick Athan isn't a very smart man.

jspchief
03-02-2006, 10:42 PM
I can't follow why you think Athan is smart. Smart people can spell and they have good grammar. Nick Athan isn't a very smart man.There's a difference between book smart and con-man smart.

tk13
03-02-2006, 10:42 PM
I think the man is smarter than all of us. He's making money off this stuff. He's obviously smarter than me, you, or any of us other idiots, because we sit all here and do it for free.

Phobia
03-02-2006, 10:47 PM
agreed, its a joke when hearing anything from WPI or Athan, If they were actually right most the time that would be nice, it's comedy, esp. since they charge for their BS, it wouldn't be a biggie as much if it was just another free site.
Misconception.

Ninety percent of WPI is free. Premium content is not. The magazine is not.

WPI is right most of the time. There's half a dozen other regular contributors besides Nick. The only time people talk about it on this site is when Nick misses. Even if Nick missed 100% of the time that still leaves plenty of content not "fabricated" (if that's what you believe) by him.

Mr. Laz
03-02-2006, 10:54 PM

You don't know.
oh my gawd ...

has athan hired you to lick his anus or what

Mecca
03-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Oddly, not that long ago Chris Mortensen was on ESPN and said that Will Shields would have been cut if not for the extension.........

Skip Towne
03-02-2006, 11:00 PM
This advertisement is brought to you by another of WPI's shills. If they amounted to shit you'd think they could get better shills than Zach and Gochiefs. Hahahahahahahaha What a laugh this is!!!! But Phobia told me himself, "they work free". I replied "You get what you pay for". Hahahahahahahaha

ChiefsKing
03-02-2006, 11:09 PM
I really don't get all the Nick bashing. You pay money to the site for an insider's buzz at arrowhead. I don't see why some don't get that? He lets his readers know what they are saying inside arrowhead, good for him. What is the big deal? If they are saying we are trying to get Cory Dillon, or Ty Law, he is just relaying what he hears. If it doesn't happen that is not his fault, his job is to present what sources are saying. If you would rather wait until it hits press and is confirmed, fine, then don't subscribe. I live out of town and I appreciate anyone who can present an insiders view of what is going on with the Chiefs.

Skip Towne
03-02-2006, 11:10 PM
Misconception.

Ninety percent of WPI is free. Premium content is not. The magazine is not.

WPI is right most of the time. There's half a dozen other regular contributors besides Nick. The only time people talk about it on this site is when Nick misses. Even if Nick missed 100% of the time that still leaves plenty of content not "fabricated" (if that's what you believe) by him.
Phobia, I hate to say this but you are 98% full of shit on this. Athan is a definate joke to everybody but you. And you are on the payroll. I no longer believe anything you say. Using Zach and Gochiefs for your shills was my first tip off you were grasping for straws to try to make it. See ya.

|Zach|
03-02-2006, 11:11 PM
This advertisement is brought to you by another of WPI's shills. If they amounted to shit you'd think they could get better shills than Zach and Gochiefs. Hahahahahahahaha What a laugh this is!!!! But Phobia told me himself, "they work free". I replied "You get what you pay for". Hahahahahahahaha
We cant all sit around and hate ourselves like yourself.

nychief
03-02-2006, 11:12 PM
We cant all sit around and hate ourselves like yourself.

"hate ourselves like yourself" is that a Cure song?

Hammock Parties
03-02-2006, 11:13 PM
Using Zach and Gochiefs for your shills was my first tip off you were grasping for straws to try to make it.

Phobia is not "using" us. He didn't PM us and tell us to defend Nick.

jspchief
03-02-2006, 11:13 PM
I really don't get all the Nick bashing. You pay money to the site for an insider's buzz at arrowhead. I don't see why some don't get that? He lets his readers know what they are saying inside arrowhead, good for him. What is the big deal? If they are saying we are trying to get Cory Dillon, or Ty Law, he is just relaying what he hears. If it doesn't happen that is not his fault, his job is to present what sources are saying. If you would rather wait until it hits press and is confirmed, fine, then don't subscribe. I live out of town and I appreciate anyone who can present an insiders view of what is going on with the Chiefs.Sucker.

nychief
03-02-2006, 11:14 PM
Phobia is not "using" us. He didn't PM us and tell us to defend Nick.

Now gochiefs, show me on the teddy bear where phobia touched you.

WilliamTheIrish
03-02-2006, 11:19 PM
Now gochiefs, show me on the teddy bear where phobia touched you.

ROFL

Phobia
03-02-2006, 11:21 PM
Phobia, I hate to say this but you are 98% full of shit on this. Athan is a definate joke to everybody but you. And you are on the payroll. I no longer believe anything you say. Using Zach and Gochiefs for your shills was my first tip off you were grasping for straws to try to make it. See ya.

I don't believe anything you say either. An Astrovan with 350,000 miles? Please.

I happen to value the friendship and skills of Zach and of Gochiefs as well. Which is why I asked them to help with the project. All 3 of us are in it for the same reason. We'd like to do something big. If you don't believe in our efforts that's your prerogative. I'm not perfect and I'm sometimes a fool. But I try to be fair and objective in all my efforts.

ChiefsKing
03-02-2006, 11:23 PM
When someone says a player is going to be cut, of course it is common sense that *unless they restructure or agree to a pay cut.*
I think some people are nit picking because they are jealous that he has a job we would all kill for.

jspchief
03-02-2006, 11:26 PM
When someone says a player is going to be cut, of course it is common sense that *unless they restructure or agree to a pay cut.*
I think some people are nit picking because they are jealous that he has a job we would all kill for.Too bad they didn't say a player "was going to be cut".

They said a player was cut. As in, it has already happened.

As for jealousy, I think he probably has a really cool job. But that's not why I think he's a joke.

ChiefsKing
03-02-2006, 11:41 PM
Too bad they didn't say a player "was going to be cut".

They said a player was cut. As in, it has already happened.

As for jealousy, I think he probably has a really cool job. But that's not why I think he's a joke.

what if he was cut, if not for the extension? Does this mean you were wrong and are a joke?

ChiefsKing
03-02-2006, 11:48 PM
I just think its great to be able to hear some Chiefs news. I heard this morning that Will was cut and could be resigned by end of the day. Turns out he redid his deal and it is done. He is a Chief at the end of the day!Serious crying. Glad we keep Will at a team friendly price should be the real topic of discussion.

|Zach|
03-02-2006, 11:54 PM
My advertisments on this thread have been so over bearing.

KChiefsQT
03-03-2006, 02:53 AM
ROFL ROFL ROFL ATHAN ROFL ROFL ROFL PHIL... This is ****ing hilarious. I think I'm gonna build myown website and charge 98.99/yr "premium membership" and flip a coin when it comes to reporting as well. Heads, Shields is cut, Tails Shields isn't cut. ALWAYS PICK TAILS!!! (Even I know that)

Phob..you've defended that flea too many times... and your excuses for him... too funny. Is he playing the Monica Lewinsky role, assuming the position under your desk? Or do you really believe his shit? Whether you're getting paid or not you're now sounding like an idiot and your affiliations with that full of shit site is a mockery in itself. Congrats. Can we call you Phil Athan, please??

huskerdooz
03-03-2006, 03:51 AM

The problem with that is that from everything we've been led to believe, his issue with his shoulder is a chronic problem that won't get better. It's just a matter of how much pain he wants to play with.

huskerdooz
03-03-2006, 04:03 AM
Duh. Athan is a snake oil salesman. He only cares about his burgeoning profit line.

Are you schizophrenic or something? Weren't you just defending this snake oil salesman?

Hammock Parties
03-03-2006, 04:07 AM
Are you schizophrenic or something? Weren't you just defending this snake oil salesman?

http://www.hotoffthepressonline.com/prodimg/SARCASM.jpg

Pants
03-03-2006, 05:15 AM
ROFL

This thread is pure comedy gold.

Hey Phobia, go tell Nick I'll start kissing his ass on rival boards for a measly $50 a week.

Pants
03-03-2006, 05:18 AM
I don't believe anything you say either. An Astrovan with 350,000 miles? Please.

I happen to value the friendship and skills of Zach and of Gochiefs as well. Which is why I asked them to help with the project. All 3 of us are in it for the same reason. We'd like to do something big. If you don't believe in our efforts that's your prerogative. I'm not perfect and I'm sometimes a fool. But I try to be fair and objective in all my efforts.

Is WPI paying them?

the Talking Can
03-03-2006, 06:18 AM
can we please get a seperate forum for all of the "Nick Athan is right so kiss his ass...oops Nick Athan is wrong again...here comes the employees of WPI to cover for him yet again" threads....

thanks...

Hammock Parties
03-03-2006, 06:55 AM
Is WPI paying them?

I don't get a dime.

Mile High Mania
03-03-2006, 07:01 AM
Not even a free premium membership?

Pants
03-03-2006, 07:28 AM
I don't get a dime.

owned

KCTitus
03-03-2006, 07:32 AM
I read all 10 pages...and after careful review of the posts, I learned a couple of things.

First, that the term 'was cut' can be parsed in about 4-5 different ways.

Second, if you paid the 100 dollars to be a Premium Member, you could have known that Shields was cut as early as 24 hours ago--way ahead of the idiots at CP who arent Premium Members--and also been the FIRST to know that the information that Shields was cut was BS about 14 minutes before the idiots at CP found out.

If ever there was a time to be a Premium Member, that time was yesterday...talk about ROI, damn.

the Talking Can
03-03-2006, 07:35 AM
I don't get a dime.

so you're getting screwed two ways....maybe that Nick is a geenyus....

Inspector
03-03-2006, 07:53 AM
According to your logic here...

Man on street: "Hey Spicy! That crazy guy with the sign on the street corner over there is the Lord Jesus Christ!!! You should right a story about it!"
Me: "Wow what a great idea! I'd better get right on that and not bother to do any actual research on the issue because I want to "scoop" the story and make $$$!"

(Hours later when the real Jesus Christ has appeared and cast festering boils upon me and turned all my water to wine)

Me: "Oh well, I'll just change my story to say that it wasn't true. Never mind that people are actually paying me for accurate information and have damned their eternal souls by worshiping a false prophet via my poorly written and researched article. I got it right in the end. And still made money."

I never, for once, thought that guy was Jesus.

Just some hippie....

Hammock Parties
03-03-2006, 08:04 AM
so you're getting screwed two ways....maybe that Nick is a geenyus....

I'm not getting screwed.

KCTitus
03-03-2006, 08:08 AM
I'm not getting screwed.

Right. Teabagged then.

the Talking Can
03-03-2006, 08:11 AM
I'm not getting screwed.

you carry water for an illiterate crotch sniffer...and you do it for free

at least Phobia gets paid....lessens the sting a little, I imagine....

Pants
03-03-2006, 08:11 AM
I'm not getting screwed.
You're providing free services to a money making organization, are you not?

If feeling somehow important makes it worth for you, then, yeah, you're not getting screwed.

jspchief
03-03-2006, 08:15 AM

If feeling somehow important makes it worth for you, then, yeah, you're not getting screwed.The business model of that company is to prey on morons and fools. It's no suprise that it extends beyond their customers to their "employees".

The more I learn, the more I realize that Athan might be a genius.

Saulbadguy
03-03-2006, 08:17 AM
Overall, i'm not a fan of the entire Scout.com network.

jspchief
03-03-2006, 08:19 AM
Overall, i'm not a fan of the entire Scout.com network.Yep. WPI is just an extension of that entire network. Most of my experience is that all their sites/mags are just as big a rip-off.

The only real difference is a lot of the other ones are run by someone that passed 5th grade English.

Saulbadguy
03-03-2006, 08:21 AM
The only real difference is a lot of the other ones are run by someone that passed 5th grade English.
I wouldn't say that is entirely accurate either.

Basically, what i've found is they are pretty much ran by people operating out of their basement. The scout site/mag is not their full time job, so they can't or won't put a whole lot of effort in to it.

Saulbadguy
03-03-2006, 08:29 AM
Although, I think "Scout" is fairly new. I'm pretty sure they were made to compete with the Rivals brand. They used to be "The Insiders", and then changed to Scout.com. Now they are owned by Foxsports. Not sure what good that has done.

Brock
03-03-2006, 08:51 AM
I read all 10 pages...and after careful review of the posts, I learned a couple of things.

First, that the term 'was cut' can be parsed in about 4-5 different ways.

Second, if you paid the 100 dollars to be a Premium Member, you could have known that Shields was cut as early as 24 hours ago--way ahead of the idiots at CP who arent Premium Members--and also been the FIRST to know that the information that Shields was cut was BS about 14 minutes before the idiots at CP found out.

If ever there was a time to be a Premium Member, that time was yesterday...talk about ROI, damn.

ROFL

Hammock Parties
03-03-2006, 08:55 AM

If feeling somehow important makes it worth for you, then, yeah, you're not getting screwed.

It's good work experience.

The mag doesn't make a whole lot of money from what I've been told. Production costs are covered and not much else.

Dartgod
03-03-2006, 09:32 AM

The mag doesn't make a whole lot of money from what I've been told. Production costs are covered and not much else.
Hehe.

gochiefs: Hey, Nick. Think you could slide me some coin for this latest article?

NA: Ummmm, you see...uhhh, I really don't make much from the magazine. And..uhh...production costs are pretty much covered and thats about it...uhhh, yeah, thats the ticket.

ROFL ROFL

nychief
03-03-2006, 09:51 AM
Hehe.

gochiefs: Hey, Nick. Think you could slide me some coin for this latest article?

NA: Ummmm, you see...uhhh, I really don't make much from the magazine. And..uhh...production costs are pretty much covered and thats about it...uhhh, yeah, thats the ticket.

ROFL ROFL

I think it is more like this:

gochiefs: hhumm mmumm humm hummmm errumm?

NA: Yes stay on the head, oooh, that feels good.

gochiefs: hummmmm, mmummm...fumm.

NA: Yes, yes, yes... (Pause) Phew, okay, that is this week's pay. now go get your shine box!

Pitt Gorilla
03-03-2006, 10:04 AM
I had a feeling this was going to happen when the Chiefs website reported cuts that didn't include Shields.

The problem is, for your info to be worth more than "free", you have to stick your neck out. So far, your sources aren't reliable enough, or your "reporters" aren't thorough enough. You're basically pretending to have inside info that you don't really have.Very good point. Rep.

The Bad Guy
03-03-2006, 10:09 AM

I'm sure Nick isn't making a dime on all his Branch Davidians.:rolleyes:

Phobia
03-03-2006, 10:30 AM
There's a lot of short sighted people on this thread. There are people like myself on Scout who have parlayed a part-time hobby into a fulltime, well paying job. That has to start somewhere. Maybe I'll get there someday.

You don't walk into a publication and expect a couple hundred thousand subscribers. You have to improve your product and earn the subscribers. The young men and women working at Warpaint are essentially apprentices. We all have our various reasons for doing things and it's not always money driven. The site is an opportunity for aspiring writers to be published while building experience, a readership, and a resume.

This isn't unusual for internet sites and media organizations. You start out and build a following. You work your ass off for peanuts. Then you reap the rewards down the road.

I'm a slow learner and I've probably said it before, but I really don't enjoy this crap.

There are two types of people you'll encounter -encouragers and discouragers. There aren't too many encouragers on this thread and that's okay. I like you anyway.

Saulbadguy
03-03-2006, 10:36 AM
There's a lot of short sighted people on this thread. There are people like myself on Scout who have parlayed a part-time hobby into a fulltime, well paying job. That has to start somewhere.

You don't walk into a publication and expect a couple hundred thousand subscribers. You have to improve your product and earn the subscribers. The young men and women working at Warpaint are essentially apprentices. We all have our various reasons for doing things and it's not always money driven. The site is an opportunity for aspiring writers to be published while building experience, a readership, and a resume.

This isn't unusual for internet sites and media organizations. You start out and build a following. You work your ass off for peanuts. Then you reap the rewards down the road.

I'm a slow learner and I've probably said it before, but I really don't enjoy this crap.

There are two types of people you'll encounter -encouragers and discouragers. There aren't too many encouragers on this thread and that's okay. I like you anyway.
Are you not or are you not seeking honest criticism of the product? I don't really care whether people waste their money on WPI or not. It doesn't make me a better or bigger person to say someone is stupid for spending their money on it. I (and everyone else on this thread) waste money on things too, probably some of which is more worthless than WPI.

The good thing for WPI is they have a strong backing by a reputable media company. In this case, that reputable media company screwed up, and WPI paid for it. It's got to be a tough business, because I don't see that many internet only specialized media outlets that are thriving out there. Good luck.

Katipan
03-03-2006, 10:42 AM
boys are nuts

Phobia
03-03-2006, 10:43 AM
I appreciate an honest criticism of the product. What we have on this thread is not that. There's nothing encouraging with what appears on this thread.

jspchief
03-03-2006, 10:51 AM
I appreciate an honest criticism of the product. What we have on this thread is not that. There's nothing encouraging with what appears on this thread.I'm not sure what you were expecting from your first post. you aren't going to get many pats on the back from Chiefsplanet, especially in regards to WPI.

And if you're going to come in tooting your own horn, you better be sure you're playing the right song. Your attempt to convince people of something they don't care to be convinced of made you come off looking pretty stupid.

I think you need to think long and hard about what you're trying to do here in regards to WPI. You're trying to sell something (WPI credibility) that a lot of people are never going to buy. Besides being a waste of your time, it's really starting to come off as thinly veiled spam.

KCTitus
03-03-2006, 10:54 AM
I encourage you to not do this kind of crap:

Strategy? Glazer is FoxSports. Warpaint is FoxSports. Glazer posts on Warpaint. The Shields cut and Stills cut has been on Warpaint since early this morning.

That way when it turns out that you've stepped on your dick, you wont get the howls from this thread.

nychief
03-03-2006, 11:30 AM
Next stop for Phobia, espn.com. He can do reviews of the press boxes around the league.

wutamess
03-03-2006, 11:41 AM
I think it is more like this:

gochiefs: hhumm mmumm humm hummmm errumm?

NA: Yes stay on the head, oooh, that feels good.

gochiefs: hummmmm, mmummm...fumm.

NA: Yes, yes, yes... (Pause) Phew, okay, that is this week's pay. now go get your shine box!

That is the funniest fuggin post I think I've ever read on this board. ROFL

Hammock Parties
03-03-2006, 11:44 AM
Hey, at least we don't charge for kcnut.

Phobia
03-03-2006, 11:51 AM
I'm an amateur. I've been doing this shit for 3 months.

There's zero way to win here. Thanks for the encouragement.

wutamess
03-03-2006, 12:03 PM

Dude, why even waste your time explaining yourself &/or your predicament to a bunch of internet types? Seems to me, you have all the constructive support you already need. GoChiefs & Zach are some pretty smart guys. With your three heads together, I'm sure you can think of something creative each and everytime you need, that'll satisfy any audience.

You know nothing is taken seriously on this board and that everyone will keep snowballing this.

You keep doing what you do and they'll keep doing what they do.
problem solved. No explanation needed.

That's about as constructive as you're gonna get.

Phobia
03-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Yeah - I've been a puss the past couple days. I know it's unbecoming.

I have a couple distractions and I'm probably taking out my frustrations in the wrong spots.

Mile High Mania
03-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Bottom line ... I think everyone admires what you're trying to do Phobia and everyone wishes nothing but the best. It's the other guy from that site that drives the locals crazy, so just let it ride... only NA can change the minds of his detractors. Your defending him will go nowhere, just let it ride.

the Talking Can
03-03-2006, 01:11 PM
we've (phobia included) always made fun of WPI and Athan...the only thing that has changed is that now he's getting paid and feels obligated to be WPI's watchman over Chiefsplanet...

nodoby here is interested in lectures from Nick or his employees...period....

Pants
03-03-2006, 01:18 PM

I've said this before, what you're doing is respectable and it's all good. What's a little lame is you trying to defend Nick Athan here and convince others about his website/magazine/whatnot. If you let us bitch and make fun of him (deservengly so) and stop pimping his shit, I think things could be much better.

Ebolapox
03-03-2006, 01:19 PM

dude, you HAD to have known that was the boat you were getting into beforehand

-EB-

Phobia
03-03-2006, 01:35 PM
we've (phobia included) always made fun of WPI and Athan...the only thing that has changed is that now he's getting paid and feels obligated to be WPI's watchman over Chiefsplanet...

nodoby here is interested in lectures from Nick or his employees...period....
I feel obligated to seek fairness and that has nothing to do with money or Nick Athan. I've put my neck out for plenty of people in whom I had no financial stake.

In fact, I've reversed my opinion on the specific issue of Shields being cut. I feel the criticism is fair in this case. I feel selected Athan criticism has been fair in the past.

All I'm seeking is equal play for the times he's correct - which is a lot frequently than anybody around here will acknowledge. But that will never happen, which is why I go to the trouble of questioning the fairness.

It's a vicious cycle, one which you'll be happy to hear I'm removing myself from. Slow learner, I know.

Mile High Mania
03-03-2006, 01:39 PM
I think the misses are more glaring than the hits... Nick knows how Plummer feels. Plummer always gets hit with the INT tag, despite having a couple of pretty good years recently.

Plummer had a bad AFC Title game, but he had more good games than bad overall in 2005... but, people focus on the one big bad game. Shanahan and all of us faithful Broncos' fans feel your pain... we've been in your position.

KCTitus
03-03-2006, 01:48 PM
I think the misses are more glaring than the hits... Nick knows how Plummer feels. Plummer always gets hit with the INT tag, despite having a couple of pretty good years recently.

Plummer had a bad AFC Title game, but he had more good games than bad overall in 2005... but, people focus on the one big bad game. Shanahan and all of us faithful Broncos' fans feel your pain... we've been in your position.

*sigh*...It's allways about you isnt it?

Dave Lane
03-03-2006, 01:50 PM
I feel obligated to seek fairness and that has nothing to do with money or Nick Athan. I've put my neck out for plenty of people in whom I had no financial stake.

In fact, I've reversed my opinion on the specific issue of Shields being cut. I feel the criticism is fair in this case. I feel selected Athan criticism has been fair in the past.

All I'm seeking is equal play for the times he's correct - which is a lot frequently than anybody around here will acknowledge. But that will never happen, which is why I go to the trouble of questioning the fairness.

It's a vicious cycle, one which you'll be happy to hear I'm removing myself from. Slow learner, I know.

Actually I think its the manner in which it is presented rather than the right / wrong issue. Hey personally I'll take tidbits where I find them and maybe even try my hand at writing for WPI sometime. I've got enough journalism classes and am a published book author so I know I could do it. I'm sad sometimes to see all this "fill in the blank" sucks and its not just Nick, its ESPN talking heads, other internet sites and JW, Keitzman you name it. To me if you write an article everyone agrees with you aren't doing your job, your pandering.

Dave

Mile High Mania
03-03-2006, 01:52 PM
*sigh*...It's allways about you isnt it?

:spock:

KCTitus
03-03-2006, 02:03 PM
:spock:
It was and joke...

-----------*Joke*---------->

MHM

:D

*edit: my stick figure didnt come out right...

tk13
03-03-2006, 02:07 PM
Actually I think its the manner in which it is presented rather than the right / wrong issue. Hey personally I'll take tidbits where I find them and maybe even try my hand at writing for WPI sometime. I've got enough journalism classes and am a published book author so I know I could do it. I'm sad sometimes to see all this "fill in the blank" sucks and its not just Nick, its ESPN talking heads, other internet sites and JW, Keitzman you name it. To me if you write an article everyone agrees with you aren't doing your job, your pandering.

Dave
Yeah but what Athan does is different than some of those guys, like Whitlock. Whitlock says he thinks we should sign Ty Law, he usually stays firmly within the realm of opinion. Athan does not always stay in the realm of opinion, he actually speculates based on his "sources". Whitlock has even criticized Athan on this board for that. It's almost like tabloid journalism... but just like any other tabloid it'll sell. I've said for a couple years now that I think maybe he'd be better suited to go in a more feature story/informational type angle... I think there'd still be a great market for that. I mean I'm sure they have some of that stuff now but that's not the area of their publication/website they promote.... instead of "Exclusive interview with so and so" they let themselves get known for "Al Saunders is going to coach Detroit". And you don't have to be wrong too many times for people to lose trust in you. I think Athan probably has better sources than we give him credit for but he's been wrong enough times now where you want to see a 2nd and 3rd source verify something until you really believe it's true. If he's okay with that then that's his business, but for the money he charges I'd say he'd be better served to be a top notch accurate source of inside Chiefs information.

Pitt Gorilla
03-03-2006, 02:23 PM
There are two types of people you'll encounter -encouragers and discouragers. There aren't too many encouragers on this thread and that's okay. I like you anyway.In the real world of publications (from my experience), there is generally one type of person - discouragers. Even "accept, with revisions" critiques are generally filled with negatives with no positives to be found. If you really want to consider yourself a journalist, you'd better get used to the general lack of "at-a-boys" that you seem to seek.

Phobia
03-03-2006, 02:32 PM
Perfect tk13. You get it. That is a perfectly fair criticism of Athan. That's the criticism he's earned and I feel zero reason to argue with that.

FWIW, he does a lot of feature writing. Most of that appears in the magazine. I'm trying to get a bunch of magazines to deliver to waiting areas around town. I think that will provide some pretty good exposure.

A guy who gets zero play is Mike Nugent. He's the WPI beat reporter and I don't think I've ever seen his name appear on this board. Here's a link to an article in which he calls the Chiefs shot for Offensive Coordinator: http://chiefs.scout.com/2/490052.html

JBucc
03-03-2006, 02:32 PM
I don't

Phobia
03-03-2006, 02:39 PM
In the real world of publications (from my experience), there is generally one type of person - discouragers. Even "accept, with revisions" critiques are generally filled with negatives with no positives to be found. If you really want to consider yourself a journalist, you'd better get used to the general lack of "at-a-boys" that you seem to seek.

Really? Well, I hope that any project to which I'm a party will rise above that. I don't really care for all the negativity. I think a positive environment lends to more productive results.

ct
03-03-2006, 02:41 PM

Beautiful!! :clap:

Brock
03-03-2006, 02:54 PM
Perfect tk13. You get it. That is a perfectly fair criticism of Athan. That's the criticism he's earned and I feel zero reason to argue with that.

FWIW, he does a lot of feature writing. Most of that appears in the magazine. I'm trying to get a bunch of magazines to deliver to waiting areas around town. I think that will provide some pretty good exposure.

A guy who gets zero play is Mike Nugent. He's the WPI beat reporter and I don't think I've ever seen his name appear on this board. Here's a link to an article in which he calls the Chiefs shot for Offensive Coordinator: http://chiefs.scout.com/2/490052.html

The Chiefs were also looking at former Raiders head coach, Norv Turner, who has experience with this offensive system but he signed on as the San Francisco but he signed on as the San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator position on Monday evening. .

I'd say the editing chores on that site editing chores on that site are still somewhat lacking lacking..

Phobia
03-03-2006, 03:29 PM
True. I think we're implementing an actual system of editing now. The previous "system" wasn't highly organized.

Katipan
03-03-2006, 04:00 PM
I liked it :p

The Bad Guy
03-03-2006, 04:12 PM
True. I think we're implementing an actual system of editing now. The previous "system" wasn't highly organized.
How highly organized does it have to be for editing?

It's not rocket science. All you need is two sets of eyes and someone who understands punctuation, grammar and typos.

Running something like that, with a duplicate sentence, is embarrasing considering the article was published more than a month and a half ago and it still hasn't been fixed.

I'm not ragging on you, and this really has nothing to do with my disdain for Nick, but if you can't get grammar and editing right, then there's no sense in even having a publication.

That's like trying to build a house without a foundation.

Phobia
03-03-2006, 04:16 PM
No clue, man. But it's something that was on my list to fix since I went over there. It's improved but an actual system will eliminate most of those silly problems.

The Bad Guy
03-03-2006, 04:18 PM
No clue, man. But it's something that was on my list to fix since I went over there. It's improved but an actual system will eliminate most of those silly problems.

He should really hire someone to just do editing.

Phobia
03-03-2006, 04:35 PM
That's gochiefs now. He's a damn good editor, actually.

The last guy either wasn't worth a crap or they published shit without it going through him.

WilliamTheIrish
03-03-2006, 06:05 PM
Hey, I don't care what you do.

As long as we play golf this spring.

Hammock Parties
03-03-2006, 10:23 PM
How highly organized does it have to be for editing?

It's more important than you might think. We need more than one editor, too.

WilliamTheIrish
03-03-2006, 10:30 PM

I know your name has been changed for a while, but what the hell does it mean?

Hammock Parties
03-03-2006, 10:32 PM
I know your name has been changed for a while, but what the hell does it mean?

I'm not going to tell you until htismaqe reveals the origin of his name.

WilliamTheIrish
03-03-2006, 10:36 PM
I'm not going to tell you until htismaqe reveals the origin of his name.

PM me. Sounds interesting.

The Bad Guy
03-03-2006, 10:42 PM

I work for a newspaper and there are two editors assigned to five writers and we never have these types of problems.

Again, it's not rocket science. The person writing the story proofs the piece themselves (I think this is the biggest problem area with your site), then ships it off to the editors where one reads it for grammar and typos and the third set of eyes goes over it again.

I have a hard time believing that this so much of a chore when the content is generally web-based. Web-based editing is MUCH easier than deadline newspaper editing.

Some of the writers - not saying you or anyone on here - need to take more pride in their work and make sure that it's spotless.

Hammock Parties
03-03-2006, 10:46 PM
I have a hard time believing that this so much of a chore when the content is generally web-based. Web-based editing is MUCH easier than deadline newspaper editing.

1. We don't have a schedule.

2. I'm not always around.

3. Nick doesn't even post his stuff in the editing forum.

4. For the last magazine issue, all the other editors disappeared.

FTR, the Shields article I posted the other day was pretty much flawless. We had one error in it that I could find, and that was only because someone copied the wrong edit from the forum.

The Bad Guy
03-03-2006, 10:53 PM
1. We don't have a schedule.

2. I'm not always around.

3. Nick doesn't even post his stuff in the editing forum.

4. For the last magazine issue, all the other editors disappeared.

This is exactly the problem then. The structure of everything.

If Nick is going to make stuff "his baby", then he needs to rely on people who have passed 8th grade English to help him write his stories. I'd really love to see some of the writing samples he sends to people to get these jobs in the first place.

He butchers language worse than some ESL students my fiance tutors.

If this joint is going to become successful, then he needs to hire people to edit. I'm not talking about interns either. Paid people. I can't believe someone who has all the media access he does would take such little pride in the final result of the work.

The schedule is the most important thing. Without it, everyone freelances, and as a result, quality is compromised.

The Bad Guy
03-03-2006, 10:53 PM
FTR, the Shields article I posted the other day was pretty much flawless. We had one error in it that I could find, and that was only because someone copied the wrong edit from the forum.

Why are you using the forum to edit? Wouldn't e-mail work much better?

Hammock Parties
03-03-2006, 10:58 PM
Why are you using the forum to edit? Wouldn't e-mail work much better?

I don't see any advantages it provides.

The Bad Guy
03-03-2006, 11:09 PM
I don't see any advantages it provides.

Why would you let the readers see the story before it's posted?

Hammock Parties
03-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Why would you let the readers see the story before it's posted?

The editing forum is private.

The Bad Guy
03-03-2006, 11:19 PM
The editing forum is private.

My bad then.