PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Raiders new coach Art Shell ........

royr17
03-04-2006, 05:55 PM
What I wanna know is, if Art Shell is such a good coach, then why hasnt he been coachin the last 10 to 15 years ???

Phobia
03-04-2006, 06:11 PM
He has. In fact, he coached with the Chiefs and Falcons for a time. Then he went on to a well paid executive position with the NFL.

chagrin
03-04-2006, 06:13 PM
2 words:

racism

Dunit35
03-04-2006, 06:20 PM
2 words:

racism

What's the second word?

Phobia
03-04-2006, 06:33 PM
What's the second word?

The second word is "Just Kidding".

Art Shell was making a helluva lot more as a league exec than he could have ever made as an assistant.

Dunit35
03-04-2006, 06:36 PM
The second word is "Just Kidding".

Art Shell was making a helluva lot more as a league exec than he could have ever made as an assistant.

I was just curious what the 2nd word was. But honestly that would make three words. I'm sure he was making more money and he probably enjoyed it more than he was being an assistant.

JBucc
03-04-2006, 06:38 PM
I'd much rather be an exec than a coach in the NFL. Way too much work and very little job security.

chief husker
03-04-2006, 07:02 PM
I was just curious what the 2nd word was. But honestly that would make three words. I'm sure he was making more money and he probably enjoyed it more than he was being an assistant.

I have six words for you.................

RealSNR
03-04-2006, 07:20 PM
I'd much rather be an exec than a coach in the NFL. Way too much work and very little job security.Yeah, but nobody remembers the "grid-iron execs" who took teams of nothings and turned them into Super Bowl champions

Deberg_1990
03-04-2006, 09:41 PM
2 words:

racism

I dont really think its that the owners are racist, its just that most of them are very simple minded and get locked into the good-ole boy (retread) network mentality. Plus, Shell was sort of forgotten about as head coaching material after about 5 years or so. NFL owners like to go after the "HOT" co-ordinator of the moment. Art Shell definately deserved another shot in the early 90's after he was fired the first time.

Coach
03-04-2006, 09:46 PM
What I wanna know is, if Art Shell is such a good coach, then why hasnt he been coachin the last 10 to 15 years ???

He has coached for several teams (Including the Chiefs) as an assistant before going to the NFL as one of the exec. as Phobia mentioned. However, from the sound of it, that Shell didn't have much say on the first time around when Al Davis was younger, and could had easily meddled several things. Now that Davis is most likely not able to do a whole alot, that makes me wonder if Shell will have more freedom on what he will do.

Also Shell haven't coached in a long time, but the passion or desire to coach again is still with him, from the sound of it.

StcChief
03-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Art Shell will have more to say with Al Davis health declining.

That's not good for us.

That's Ok.... F the Raiders.

SLAG
03-04-2006, 10:35 PM
I aint Skerred

DaWolf
03-05-2006, 03:02 AM
Shell was basically Al's puppet as head coach. He had tons of good players playing for him at the time which is the major reason why they won, but when it came to the whole Marcus Allen thing and guys like Jeff Hostettler yelling at him on the sidelines, Shell didn't show much backbone.

If you're viewed as a puppet, you're probably not getting many HC jobs anywhere else...

Rausch
03-05-2006, 05:33 AM
He's been hired to be a temporary puppet. Few will argue that.

And I think it's a friggen crime. The man is a great position coach and (I think) could be a damned good HC in the right place.

Faider douche-nozzle or not...

chagrin
03-05-2006, 10:50 AM
I dont really think its that the owners are racist, its just that most of them are very simple minded and get locked into the good-ole boy (retread) network mentality.

Head check:

I was not serious at all with that.