PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to the 2006 Big12 Champions: Kansas Jayhawks

CoMoChief
03-04-2006, 06:58 PM
This topic deserves a thread title IMO. With a win today, KU clinched it's 2nd straight Big12 Championship and it's 6th in 10 seasons, which this season's title will be shared by Texas if the Longhorns can beat OU in tomorrow's game. The Jayhawks can win it outright with a TX loss. This is about the only way I would ever root for Blow U in anything. With this young team, very few to no people would have thought this would have been possible. Especially the way the season started out. Rock Chalk Jayhawk Go KU!

banyon
03-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Go Sooners!

Dunit35
03-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Rock Chalk baby...Go OU I guess...

Skip Towne
03-04-2006, 07:13 PM
Where is OU-Texas being played?

banyon
03-04-2006, 07:15 PM
Austin.

CoMoChief
03-04-2006, 07:16 PM
Where is OU-Texas being played?

At Texas I think.

Alphaman
03-04-2006, 07:16 PM
This topic deserves a thread title IMO. With a win today, KU clinched it's 2nd straight Big12 Championship and it's 6th in 10 seasons, which this season's title will be shared by Texas if the Longhorns can beat OU in tomorrow's game. The Jayhawks can win it outright with a TX loss. This is about the only way I would ever root for Blow U in anything. With this young team, very few to no people would have thought this would have been possible. Especially the way the season started out. Rock Chalk Jayhawk Go KU!

They've clinched a share based on record, but since Texas thrashed them head to head, if Texas beats OU they are the real champion and will be the #1 seed in the Big XII tourney.

teedubya
03-04-2006, 07:18 PM
RCJHKU :KU: RCJHKU :KU: RCJHKU :KU: RCJHKU :KU: RCJHKU :KU: RCJHKU :KU: RCJHKU :KU: RCJHKU :KU:

CoMoChief
03-04-2006, 07:24 PM
They've clinched a share based on record, but since Texas thrashed them head to head, if Texas beats OU they are the real champion and will be the #1 seed in the Big XII tourney.

Technically there isnt such thing as a "real" champion in a "co-championship", because Texas lost some games against teams that KU defeat. The #1 seed is the only thing based off of the head to head matchup at this point, that is if TX can beat OU tomorrow.

ROYC75
03-04-2006, 07:27 PM
Yeah, I feel sad for our rivals, they didn't get to put us down because we didn't win the Big 12 confrence.

Not............

Dr. Johnny Fever
03-04-2006, 07:31 PM
A-efing-men.

StcChief
03-04-2006, 09:29 PM
Good luck KU don't choke in the first round.

SLAG
03-04-2006, 09:33 PM
GO KU!!!

Bob Dole
03-04-2006, 09:34 PM
So the team that wins the Big 12 Men's Basketball Championship isn't really the Big XII champion?

dr00d
03-05-2006, 12:00 AM
bleh...i'd still like to know where rock chalk came from and the real meaning behind it...I swear it is the dumbest sounding 'chant' I have ever heard.

greg63
03-05-2006, 12:28 AM
Go Sooners!

Yep; the only time in my life I'll submit to rooting for OU!

banyon
03-05-2006, 12:50 AM
bleh...i'd still like to know where rock chalk came from and the real meaning behind it...I swear it is the dumbest sounding 'chant' I have ever heard.

You must've never heard the Arkansas RazorBacks shout "soooeee pig Hog suey!" (or whatever they shout)

(apologies to JBucc)

Boyceofsummer
03-05-2006, 01:26 AM
http://www.rockchalk.com/john/john/rock.html

The Rock Chalk Chant

The Rock Chalk Chant is perhaps the most distinctive cheer in all of college sports. Some have likened it to a Gregorian chant, but anyone who has been in Allen Fieldhouse and heard the chant start low, then build and roll over the crowd knows that it is much, much more.

The "Rock Chalk" chant dates to 1866, when it was adopted by the University Science Club. A chemistry professor, E.H.S. Bailey and some of his associates were returning to Lawrence from Wichita on a train. As the story goes, they passed the time by trying to create a rousing cheer. The sound of the train's wheels on the rails suggested a rhythm and a cadence to them. At first, the cheer was "Rah, Rah, Jayhawk, KU" repeated three times.

Even though KU didn't have a football team until four years later, KU students quickly took up the chant. Later, an English professor suggested "Rock Chalk," in place of "Rah, Rah" because it rhymed with Jayhawk and because it was symbolic of the limestone, also known as chalk rock, surrounding Mount Oread, the site of the Lawrence Campus. It became the official cheer of the University in 1897.

Teddy Roosevelt pronounced the Rock Chalk Chant the greatest college chant he'd ever heard. It was used by Kansas troops fighting in the Philippines in 1899, the Boxer Rebellion in China, and World War II. At the Olympic games in 1920, the King of Belgium asked for a typical American college yell. The assembled athletes agreed on KU's Rock Chalk and rendered it for His Majesty.

The words to the chant are simple. "Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU" repeated five times. The chant is special not because of the words, but because of the tone in which it is chanted and the distinctive cadence in which each verse is delivered. The only way to really appreciate the chant is to sit in Allen Fieldhouse before a Missouri game. But, if in need of a fix, the links below should recall the rocking rafters of Phog's place.

dr00d
03-05-2006, 01:52 AM
so basically they made something up so it rhymed...

good job, chicken fans...I still feel like it is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard, but I'm obviously biased. Most of you guys can't even spell manhattan correctly.

CoMoChief
03-05-2006, 04:45 AM

I dont think its nearly as dumb as TX playing the "I've Been Working on the Railroad" song as their fight song.

CoMoChief
03-05-2006, 04:49 AM

good job, chicken fans...I still feel like it is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard, but I'm obviously biased. Most of you guys can't even spell manhattan correctly.

:shake: Sorry, but you're a ****tard.

HemiEd
03-05-2006, 06:30 AM
Great job Jayhawks, two conference champions from Kansas. That is as good as it gets. :clap:

4th and Long
03-05-2006, 07:04 AM
GO KU!!!
Stealing my art work for an attempt at cheap rep is ... uncool.

phxchief
03-05-2006, 07:08 AM
You're lucky tiebreakers are so kind.

Texas has a better overall record and raped KU head-to-head.

4th and Long
03-05-2006, 07:18 AM
You're lucky tiebreakers are so kind.

Texas has a better overall record and raped KU head-to-head.
We don't make the rules. We just play by them.

:KU: :KU: :KU: :KU: :KU: :KU: :KU:

DJay23
03-05-2006, 07:25 AM
To all the rival fans whining about tie breakers and the Rock Chalk Chant (weak) I have this to say:

Go cry into your cheerios. Go **** yourself. And GO KU!

phxchief
03-05-2006, 07:47 AM
To all the rival fans whining about tie breakers and the Rock Chalk Chant (weak) I have this to say:

Go cry into your cheerios. Go **** yourself. And GO KU!

ROFL

You'd think KU had actually won the tournament.

Congrats on getting a share of the lowly Big XII, nevermind that it's like winning the special olympics.

DJay23
03-05-2006, 08:48 AM
ROFL

Congrats on getting a share of the lowly Big XII, nevermind that it's like winning the special olympics.

Oh my God YOU'RE RIGHT! I guess we needed to switch conferences this year to avoid playing in the weak Big XII. I guess next time we'll learn. Idiot.

Minimize it all you want, we won 13 of the 16 games we played in conference.

Now, perhaps you should look into the, "Go **** yourself" option. Have a lovely day.

Bearcat
03-05-2006, 08:58 AM

I tend to abbreviate it BFE, but that's just me...

Skip Towne
03-05-2006, 09:02 AM
ROFL

Did a squirrel eat your brains or are you just naturally that stupid?

ROYC75
03-05-2006, 09:09 AM

My vote says stupid. :)

KC Jones
03-05-2006, 09:38 AM

Don't mind him - his girl left him for a real man (KU grad), and he's been passed over at work for every promotion and raise that came along because he works with KU grads and just isn't capable of competing. Sad, alone, and demoted to the janatorial staff, he finds his only joy in life is recording and masturbating to KU losses. His favorite sock has been washed 6 or 7 times since the Texas loss and is already starting to stand on its own again.

DaWolf
03-05-2006, 10:05 AM
These kids grew up a lot but are still unpredictable. I'd love to see them get another shot at Texas in the big XII tourney and see if they learned anything from the first matchup. Problem is they might look ahead to that game before reaching that game and lose to an inferior team. hopefully Bill's got em ready to go...

Boyceofsummer
03-05-2006, 11:46 AM
Don't mind him - his girl left him for a real man (KU grad), and he's been passed over at work for every promotion and raise that came along because he works with KU grads and just isn't capable of competing. Sad, alone, and demoted to the janatorial staff, he finds his only joy in life is recording and masturbating to KU losses. His favorite sock has been washed 6 or 7 times since the Texas loss and is already starting to stand on its own again. :LOL:

were started to raise more money and help the 'less fortunate' make the 'Big Dance'. It has diluted the importance of conference schedules, excluding a few like the Missouri Valley. Imagine the Big XII conference schedule where each team plays each other twice and forgoes the 'cup-cakes.'

Also, you had better hope that favorite sock helps you and Texas. Heaven forbid the Sooners win today.

Mr. Kotter
03-05-2006, 11:53 AM
I haven't forgotten the loss to Texas....they still have a lot to prove, but they are young and coming on at the right time--and they got nothing to lose, really.

In the right bracket, a Sweet Sixteen appearance would be really a nice cap for their season...

:)

Rrrrooooccckkkkk Ccccchhhhaallllllllkkkkkk, Jjjjjjjaaaayyyyyhhhhhawwwwkkkk....
KKKKKKKKKKKkkkkkkkkkkUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuu

RRrooocckk Ccchhaalllllkkk, Jjjaayhhhawkkk....
KKKKKkkkkkkkUUUUuuuuuuuuu.....

RRrockk Ccchhlllkkk, Jjayhawkk....
KKKkkk-UUuuuuuuu.....

RockChalk Jayhawk, KU!
RockChalk Jayhawk, KU!
ROCKCHALK JAYHAWK, KKK-UUUU!!!

Go Baby Jays!

:KU:

vailpass
03-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Perhaps KU will get the chance to face Roy Williams' team in the Dance. That would be interesting although bloody.

leviw
03-05-2006, 12:03 PM

That's great coming from a member of the always clever Kansas State fan base that continues to wear Bucknell shirts because their own team has no acheivments to brag about; who cleverly chants "Big 12 refs suck!" Good one.; cheers injuries (Jeff Hawkins yesterday); and throws shit on the floor during games (three times yesterday).

WilliamTheIrish
03-05-2006, 01:07 PM
That's great coming from a member of the always clever Kansas State fan base that continues to wear Bucknell shirts because their own team has no acheivments to brag about; who cleverly chants "Big 12 refs suck!" Good one.; cheers injuries (Jeff Hawkins yesterday); and throws shit on the floor during games (three times yesterday).

Why, yes, we all do that.

This coming from a fan base that cries " We get everybody's best shot" when they lose, as though teams not playing KU only play at 85%.

Boozer
03-05-2006, 01:09 PM
I haven't forgotten the loss to Texas....they still have a lot to prove, but they are young and coming on at the right time--and they got nothing to lose, really.

In the right bracket, a Sweet Sixteen appearance would be really a nice cap for their season...

According to at least one KSU fan, even a season ending in an Elite Eight appearance is still a failure.

leviw
03-05-2006, 01:12 PM
Why, yes, we all do that.

This coming from a fan base that cries " We get everybody's best shot" when they lose, as though teams not playing KU only play at 85%.

I didn't say they all do that.

DJay23
03-05-2006, 01:41 PM
The insanity must end my Jayhawk brethren. These misfits from Mizzou and KSU want nothing more than to ruffle our feathers by making the same tired statements about our basketball program and invoking their football programs as a part of the basketball argument. We are falling into it, myself included. We should stop giving them the satisfaction of arguing back, it's what they want. It's all they got. Their entire existence as KSU/Mizzou basketball fans at this time of year is to argue about what chokers KU are, and how little their accomplishments matter, and Ooh BUCKNELL! They do this because their teams have nothing going on beyond next Sunday to cheer for. They have no banners to hang, they have no horns to toot.

They call us snob hill, I say embody that. Show them that we don't need to argue, endlessly, something that we all know the answer to, but they don't want to admit. Our program, traditionally and this year is better than their program. Kansas basketball is on the national map, and theirs is not. They only wish they could make the claims we can about our team. I am taking a stand as of this moment: Don't feed the Kitties!

WilliamTheIrish
03-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Yes, show us.

Bearcat
03-05-2006, 03:15 PM
The insanity must end my Jayhawk brethren. These misfits from Mizzou and KSU want nothing more than to ruffle our feathers by making the same tired statements about our basketball program and invoking their football programs as a part of the basketball argument. We are falling into it, myself included. We should stop giving them the satisfaction of arguing back, it's what they want. It's all they got. Their entire existence as KSU/Mizzou basketball fans at this time of year is to argue about what chokers KU are, and how little their accomplishments matter, and Ooh BUCKNELL! They do this because their teams have nothing going on beyond next Sunday to cheer for. They have no banners to hang, they have no horns to toot.

They call us snob hill, I say embody that. Show them that we don't need to argue, endlessly, something that we all know the answer to, but they don't want to admit. Our program, traditionally and this year is better than their program. Kansas basketball is on the national map, and theirs is not. They only wish they could make the claims we can about our team. I am taking a stand as of this moment: Don't feed the Kitties!

To me, it's like the crowd on Jerry Springer mocking the 400 pound woman in the thong... they start calling her a fat whore and she says they're all just jealous. They aren't going to continue to mock because they're angry. They're going to continue to mock because sometimes the only thing left to do is point and laugh at the dumbassery.

KC Jones
03-05-2006, 03:26 PM
To me, it's like the crowd on Jerry Springer mocking the 400 pound woman in the thong... they start calling her a fat whore and she says they're all just jealous. They aren't going to continue to mock because they're angry. They're going to continue to mock because sometimes the only thing left to do is point and laugh at the dumbassery.

I like this analogy, and I can see how KSU fans are that fat chick in the thong all excited about finally winning against KU and MU fans are represented by the crowd of knuckle dragging troglodytes, but where are the KU fans in all of this? Oh right, their the folks at home who are smart enough not to watch that crap.

:D

DJay23
03-05-2006, 03:26 PM
2006 Big XII Men's Basketball Champions.

WilliamTheIrish
03-05-2006, 03:34 PM

I guess we know who watches daytime TV. Give me another analogy only this time use Judge Judy.

phxchief
03-05-2006, 03:41 PM
Minimize it all you want, we won 13 of the 16 games we played in conference.

Yay, yayyyyy, cookie for KU!

Good luck playing some real teams.

Hopefully you don't meet a real high seed. After the way Texas raped you, I wouldn't wanna see UConn get a piece of that trash.

phxchief
03-05-2006, 03:43 PM
Did a squirrel eat your brains

Found a good comeback to the other thread yet?

Still waiting, 24 hours and counting. ROFL ROFL

DJay23
03-05-2006, 03:44 PM
Yay, yayyyyy, cookie for KU!

Good luck playing some real teams.

Hopefully you don't meet a real high seed. After the way Texas raped you, I wouldn't wanna see UConn get a piece of that trash.
2006 Big XII Men's Basketball Champions

Bearcat
03-05-2006, 03:46 PM
I guess we know who watches daytime TV. Give me another analogy only this time use Judge Judy.

Yeah, real hardcore Springer fan... and an even bigger fan of 400 pound women in thongs.

ROFL

Based on pretty much the only tv outside of football, college basketball, hockey, and Lost I watch (and lost may not last much longer).... it would be like Meg going to school and acting popular. You can just play along, even though her parents Peter & Lois, much less the kids at school know it's not true, and then later on catapult a bucket of fat on her, point & laugh.

Skip Towne
03-05-2006, 03:48 PM
Found a good comeback to the other thread yet?

Still waiting, 24 hours and counting. ROFL ROFL
I don't read any of your ignorance. You're the dumbest mofo on the Planet.

phxchief
03-05-2006, 03:53 PM
You're the dumbest mofo on the Planet.

Impossible with you on board.

But you were right in a rare instance about one thing: you certainly display ignorance when presented with something you can't debate.

Good tactic, I suppose. Rather than dig yourself in a hole, you just avoid it altogether.

Spott
03-05-2006, 04:11 PM
Although Texas would get the #1 seed and be the Big 12 regular season champs should they win today, I would rather have KU win. I still hate the Texas schools for ruining the Big 8 and stealing KC's yearly Big 8 tournament as well as moving the Big 8 HQ out of KC.

IIRC, the the same thing happened last year. I remember seeing KU Big 12 champion garb for sale up in KC last year although OU was the #1 seed in the tournament and had the tie breaker over KU.

Spott
03-05-2006, 04:14 PM
TX 41
OU 27

15:55 2nd Half

greg63
03-05-2006, 11:47 PM
We don't make the rules. We just play by them.

:KU: :KU: :KU: :KU: :KU: :KU: :KU:

Yup! :clap:

Saulbadguy
03-06-2006, 10:39 AM
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/TXUT10103052342.jpg

leviw
03-06-2006, 11:12 AM
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/TXUT10103052342.jpg

Look, it's the co-Big 12 Champs.

Saulbadguy
03-06-2006, 11:16 AM
ROFL

schneider221
03-06-2006, 11:23 AM
the big 12 is so down this year yet mu did worse then they normally do, kstate while improved couldnt win the games they needed.

like i heard somewhere else..... ku has a co conference title, a chance to make some noise in tourney, another 20+win season all while relying on 3 frosh and a couple sophs.

kstate and mu have a coaching search and their bucknell shirts

Saulbadguy
03-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Bucknell shirts? Where can I get one of those?

leviw
03-06-2006, 11:36 AM
Bucknell shirts? Where can I get one of those?

They were out in full force on Saturday.

Saulbadguy
03-06-2006, 11:37 AM
They were out in full force on Saturday.
I saw a couple of them. Lame.

Lzen
03-06-2006, 11:42 AM
phxchief has reached the bottom. Please consider suicidal options. Man, talk about bitter, bitter rival fan. It's rather pathetic, really. :shake:

leviw
03-06-2006, 11:43 AM
I saw a couple of them. Lame.

Yeah. I don't really understand it, especially since K-State beat KU earlier this year. Wouldn't it have been better just to wear your purple if you're a K-State fan???

Lzen
03-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Hey Saul, here's a better one.

1-13

Do you know what that is? :)

Saulbadguy
03-06-2006, 11:47 AM
Yeah. I don't really understand it, especially since K-State beat KU earlier this year. Wouldn't it have been better just to wear your purple if you're a K-State fan???
Big games bring in alot of johnny come-latelies that don't understand basketball, or even the finer points of the game.

We got there rather late (an hour and 40 minutes before tip off), so the line was back towards the restrooms at Bill Snyder Family Stadium. We had to sit in the middle of section 23, which sucked. There were 4 or 5 girls in front of us who acted like they had never even been to a game before. They didn't know you were supposed to stand on the bench in front of you. However, we did get to sit next to Justin Williams.

And the "Big XII refs suck" chant was uncalled for this time. They don't stop play for an injury when the other team has possesion. Too bad our fans don't know that. FWIW, I was pleased with the officiating this game. Normally the Hawks bring in their own refs, but I thought they actually got homered this time around. Too bad we couldn't take advantage of that.

Saulbadguy
03-06-2006, 11:48 AM
Hey Saul, here's a better one.

1-13

Do you know what that is? :)
KU's record against K-State in football over the past 14 years?

Lzen
03-06-2006, 11:49 AM
KU's record against K-State in football over the past 14 years?

Ha ha, good one. But that wouldn't be correct. It is Wooldridge's record against KU. ;)

Saulbadguy
03-06-2006, 11:51 AM
Ha ha, good one. But that wouldn't be correct. It is Wooldridge's record against KU. ;)
I was close. :)

That's not so bad really. Ricardo Patton is 1-22 or something against KU.

The only record that means anything is 0-6, for Wooldridge.

Lzen
03-06-2006, 11:54 AM
I was close. :)

That's not so bad really. Ricardo Patton is 1-22 or something against KU.

The only record that means anything is 0-6, for Wooldridge.

Yup. Actually, I think Patton is now 1-23 against KU. So, what is 0-6? His number of postseason appearances out of the years he's been KSU's coach?

leviw
03-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Big games bring in alot of johnny come-latelies that don't understand basketball, or even the finer points of the game.

We got there rather late (an hour and 40 minutes before tip off), so the line was back towards the restrooms at Bill Snyder Family Stadium. We had to sit in the middle of section 23, which sucked. There were 4 or 5 girls in front of us who acted like they had never even been to a game before. They didn't know you were supposed to stand on the bench in front of you. However, we did get to sit next to Justin Williams.

And the "Big XII refs suck" chant was uncalled for this time. They don't stop play for an injury when the other team has possesion. Too bad our fans don't know that. FWIW, I was pleased with the officiating this game. Normally the Hawks bring in their own refs, but I thought they actually got homered this time around. Too bad we couldn't take advantage of that.

Yeah. You're right on. Yesterday I had a girl explaining to me how the refs cost K-State the game again this year. But come on, it was a 14-point game. There were some questionable calls and no-calls on both ends, but none more than a usual Big 12 game. IMO, if anything, it was called a little too tight. But that's how it goes.

Anyway, as my boss and I were walking out he commented on all the food boxes and such that were laying around at the student entrance. This is his first year here. He's on the border of Big East/ACC country and he said "Did people really camp out for this?" I told him they did. He was shocked. He asked if they ever camped out for any other games. I told him not even close.

Saulbadguy
03-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Yup. Actually, I think Patton is now 1-23 against KU. So, what is 0-6? His number of postseason appearances out of the years he's been KSU's coach?
Exactly. No postseason. He may get lucky and get an NIT bid this year, but who the **** cares. Postseason should be the goal for K-State every year, without a doubt.

I don't think this is unrealistic for every 6 years, for Kansas State University :

4 NCAA Appearances
1 NIT appearance
1 down year where we miss the postseason

Saulbadguy
03-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Yeah. You're right on. Yesterday I had a girl explaining to me how the refs cost K-State the game again this year. But come on, it was a 14-point game. There were some questionable calls and no-calls on both ends, but none more than a usual Big 12 game. IMO, if anything, it was called a little too tight. But that's how it goes.

Anyway, as my boss and I were walking out he commented on all the food boxes and such that were laying around at the student entrance. This is his first year here. He's on the border of Big East/ACC country and he said "Did people really camp out for this?" I told him they did. He was shocked. He asked if they ever camped out for any other games. I told him not even close.
This was the biggest line i've ever seen, no doubt. The possibly of sweeping KU had us excited. Like I said..I arrived at 1:20 (1 hour and 40 minutes before gametime), and was at the gates of BSFS.

"Woolyville" outside the SE entrance was pretty nasty. I'm amazed they had it cleaned up within a day.

CoMoChief
03-06-2006, 11:59 AM
ROFL

Thats funny, you'd only wish your team would finish better than just middle of the pack each year.

Lzen
03-06-2006, 12:01 PM
Exactly. No postseason. He may get lucky and get an NIT bid this year, but who the **** cares. Postseason should be the goal for K-State every year, without a doubt.

I don't think this is unrealistic for every 6 years, for Kansas State University :

4 NCAA Appearances
1 NIT appearance

Yup. So, what do you think needs to be done?
Fire Wooldridge and get someone who can recruit better?
Fire him and get someone who can coach better?
Fire him and get someone who can do both better?
Or keep him?

I'm just curious. I asked my FIL (KSU grad) this same type of question the other day.

Lzen
03-06-2006, 12:02 PM
Thats funny, you'd only wish your team would finish better than just middle of the pack each year.

Who, exactly, is his team anyways?

CoMoChief
03-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Perhaps KU will get the chance to face Roy Williams' team in the Dance. That would be interesting although bloody.

Even though KU fans would love to hate to see that game, that game has no significance anymore now that Miles, Langford, Simien, and Lee are all gone. I could give 2 shits about Moody and Vinson. In my eyes those arent Roy's Boys, even though Moody is from his hometown HS.

Lzen
03-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Kansas tip-ins

• The Big 12 title is the 49th conference championship in KU history, moving the Jayhawks into a tie with Kentucky for all-time league crowns, according to research by the Ohio Valley Conference. Following Kansas and Kentucky on that list are Penn (35), North Carolina (31) and Utah (31).

• With three steals Saturday at Kansas State, guard Mario Chalmers has 81 for the season and broke the KU freshman record of 80 held by Darnell Valentine (1978). Chalmers needs seven steals to break the Big 12 freshman record.

• Brandon Rush became the fourth KU freshman to surpass 400 points. Rush has 408 points. He joins Danny Manning (496), Kerry Boagni (408) and Paul Pierce (404) as KU frosh to score 400 points.

Source (http://hawkzone.cjonline.com/stories/030606/haw_kutip.shtml)

Saulbadguy
03-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Yup. So, what do you think needs to be done?
Fire Wooldridge and get someone who can recruit better?
Fire him and get someone who can coach better?
Fire him and get someone who can do both better?
Or keep him?

I'm just curious. I asked my FIL (KSU grad) this same type of question the other day.
Fire him and get someone who can do both better. You know, his recruiting hasn't been half bad. He's had several top flight recruits commit. Cartier Martin, Dez Willingham, Marques Hayden, Nick Williams..all highly rated coming out of high school. All but 1 of them has left the program for one reason or another. Cartier is still around, but he is being misused as a 4 when he should be a 3.

He can't develop players. There really hasn't been a single player I can look at and say "Wow, his game has really gotten better over the years".

He constantly patches up holes with "role players" and JUCO players. We get some pretty good JUCO talent in here, too. The problem is they are only here for a couple years.

Overall, as a recruiter, i'd give him a 6.5/10, 10 being the best.

As for his coaching, he sucks. No way to sugar coat it.

I think Wooly will do good at a mid-major program. He will get a HC elsewhere because he runs a clean program, graduates players, and is a like-able guy.

Lzen
03-06-2006, 12:14 PM
For all the rival fans whining about KU sharing the Big 12 Title, shut the Hell up. From the B12's official website.

http://www.big12sports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/030506aab.html

Kansas, Texas Share Regular Season Big 12 Men's Basketball Title;
Championship Pairings Announced

March 5, 2006

Complete Bracket in PDF Format

DALLAS - Kansas and Texas have earned a share of the 2005-06 Big 12 men's basketball regular season title. It marks the sixth overall crown for the Jayhawks, and the Longhorns' second league regular season championship.

KU and UT finished 13-3 in league play. The Longhorns will be the No. 1 seed in the Phillips 66 Big 12 Men's Basketball Championship by virtue of an 80-55 win over the Jayhawks during the regular season. The Championship is scheduled to be played on March 9-12 at American Airlines Center in Dallas.

CoMoChief
03-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Who, exactly, is his team anyways?

Probably a KSU fan. I thought I saw him write some stuff on another thread and sounded like he was pro-KSU, but realistically I dunno what to think. Hes just a dumbass IMO.

Lzen
03-06-2006, 12:16 PM
BTW, the B12 has announced that Brandon Rush is the conference Freshman of the Year and Bill Self is Coach of the Year. :thumb:

Rock Chalk, baby!! :KU:

http://www.big12sports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/030606aae.html

CoMoChief
03-06-2006, 12:17 PM
BTW, the B12 has announced that Brandon Rush is the conference Freshman of the Year and Bill Self is Coach of the Year. :thumb:

Rock Chalk, baby!! :KU:

Sweet. :clap:

chiefs john
03-06-2006, 12:19 PM
weird!! When I look at the big 12 standings on ESPN it has texas listed first!

leviw
03-06-2006, 12:21 PM

Weird. KU gets a trophy, too.

Bearcat
03-06-2006, 02:06 PM

Yeah, I'm so used to seeing teams on the same line when there's a tie :spock:

ROYC75
03-06-2006, 02:15 PM

4 NCAA Appearances
1 NIT appearance

Do you have a Hartman/Kruger clone in mind ?
:hmmm:

If not, that might be wishful thinking.

Saulbadguy
03-06-2006, 02:18 PM
Do you have a Hartman/Kruger clone in mind ?
:hmmm:

If not, that might be wishful thinking.
I don't see it as wishful thinking at all. Making the NCAA tournament is not that difficult. JFC, they let in 65 teams!

ROYC75
03-06-2006, 02:23 PM
I don't see it as wishful thinking at all. Making the NCAA tournament is not that difficult. JFC, they let in 65 teams!

Again, unless you get a coach who can get the best out of his talent, you will still be around # 80 - 100 on that annual invite.

It's not like KSU get top notch talent as a KU, UNC, Duke, AZ, UK, MSU. They get the lesser talented kids that have to work harder, which means they need a coach that can make them better.

Your best chance....... a good coach who is use to getting the best out of minimal talented players.

Good Luck..........

Saulbadguy
03-06-2006, 02:28 PM
Again, unless you get a coach who can get the best out of his talent, you will still be around # 80 - 100 on that annual invite.

It's not like KSU get top notch talent as a KU, UNC, Duke, AZ, UK, MSU. They get the lesser talented kids that have to work harder, which means they need a coach that can make them better.

Your best chance....... a good coach who is use to getting the best out of minimal talented players.

Good Luck..........
I've been told about the days when a shitty season was a 4th place finish in the Big 8 and a 7 seed in the tourney (back when they allowed less teams in). I know the potential exists, so don't feed me your BS.

And no, we don't get top notch talent at every position. Programs that have sucked for over a decade generally don't get top notch talent. So, you are right in that respect, but once we can get the program respectable again, we can get top notch talent.

ROYC75
03-06-2006, 03:00 PM
I've been told about the days when a shitty season was a 4th place finish in the Big 8 and a 7 seed in the tourney (back when they allowed less teams in). I know the potential exists, so don't feed me your BS.

And no, we don't get top notch talent at every position. Programs that have sucked for over a decade generally don't get top notch talent. So, you are right in that respect, but once we can get the program respectable again, we can get top notch talent.

It's not BS, it a fact. Back in the days when you had good coaching, you were in the tournement often and got better than average talent. But the days of Fitsimmons / Hartman / Kruger are gone.

IMHO, the best coach you had since then was Altman, but he couldn't fit in and Kitten nation wouldn't allow him to fit in. Seems he has done well since his departure. If KSU had left him alone and made him feel welcomed , he could have done something there.

KSU needs to look at an up and coming coach from a smaller school that has a proven background. It's going to be hard to get a top line coach with the recruiting down as it is now.

Again, good luck and props for slipping past MU this past year.

PastorMikH
03-06-2006, 03:04 PM

Yeah, odd isn't it. Texas had the better overall record as well as the head to head W - not to mention that Texas has the #1 seed in the Big 12 tourney. Though I don't think Texas is one of the top teams, and I seriously doubt it could happen, I think it would be cool if they could somehow pull off a national title in BBall to go with their national titles in Baseball and Football.

Saulbadguy
03-06-2006, 03:06 PM
1993-94 Kansas State University 20-14 .588 NIT
1992-93 Kansas State University 19-11 .633 NCAA Tournament
1991-92 Kansas State University 16-14 .533 NIT
1990-91 Kansas State University 13-15 .464

Dana Altman. Sadly, that is good by todays standards at K-State. However, following the heels of Kruger, it didn't get it done.

He never broke the top 4 of an 8 team league, either.

He is doing well at a mid-major where Basketball is there only trick. I think Wooly will fit in well and also do well in a similar situation.

Brock
03-06-2006, 04:06 PM
1993-94 Kansas State University 20-14 .588 NIT
1992-93 Kansas State University 19-11 .633 NCAA Tournament
1991-92 Kansas State University 16-14 .533 NIT
1990-91 Kansas State University 13-15 .464

Dana Altman. Sadly, that is good by todays standards at K-State. However, following the heels of Kruger, it didn't get it done.

He never broke the top 4 of an 8 team league, either.

He is doing well at a mid-major where Basketball is there only trick. I think Wooly will fit in well and also do well in a similar situation.

Looks to me like the problem wasn't Dana Altman, and it just might not be Wooldridge either.

leviw
03-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Looks to me like the problem wasn't Dana Altman, and it just might not be Wooldridge either.

The cancer that was Tom Asbury was the meat of that sandwich.

Saulbadguy
03-06-2006, 04:15 PM
The cancer that was Tom Asbury was the meet of that sandwich.
shh...you musn't say his name!

PastorMikH
03-06-2006, 04:36 PM
I sure hope OU can beat Texas on Sunday!

leviw
03-06-2006, 04:40 PM
I sure hope OU can beat Texas on Sunday!

Sorry. The Big 12's not playing third place games this year.

PastorMikH
03-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Sorry. The Big 12's not playing third place games this year.

The way things are going for OU, they'll win by 1 on saturday - seems like they are winning all of them by one lately.:)

leviw
03-06-2006, 04:44 PM
The way things are going for OU, they'll win by 1 on saturday - seems like they are winning all of them by one lately.:)

How'd that turn out for them in Austin on Sunday?

PastorMikH
03-06-2006, 04:47 PM
How'd that turn out for them in Austin on Sunday?

About the same as it will turn out for the winner of the Saturday game in Dallas on Sunday.:D

In all honesty, I was hoping OU would lose because I didn't want to see KU at the top of the Big 12.:)

ROYC75
03-06-2006, 04:51 PM
About the same as it will turn out for the winner of the Saturday game in Dallas on Sunday.:D

In all honesty, I was hoping OU would lose because I didn't want to see KU at the top of the Big 12.:)

Typical MUron ......
:p

PastorMikH
03-06-2006, 04:51 PM
Typical MUFan ......
:p

Yep:D:thumb:

leviw
03-06-2006, 04:52 PM

Wow, you'd rather have OU lose than KU win the Big 12 outright?

Well, I'm guessing KU and Texas will be receiving the samed sized Big 12 Championship trophy. So it's all fine and dandy. :)

Skip Towne
03-06-2006, 04:54 PM
Just on their home floor.

PastorMikH
03-06-2006, 04:55 PM
Wow, you'd rather have OU lose than KU win the Big 12 outright?

Well, I'm guessing KU and Texas will be receiving the samed sized Big 12 Championship trophy. So it's all fine and dandy. :)

List of priorities....

ALWAYS root for an MU W (Yeah, its tough with Quin killing the team)

ALWAYS root for a KU loss

Root for OU/OSU Ws UNLESS one of the above factors in.

Root for any Big 12 team not located in Kansas.

Technically, an OU W this weekend would have helped KU so, root for the L.

leviw
03-06-2006, 04:59 PM
List of priorities....

ALWAYS root for an MU W (Yeah, its tough with Quin killing the team)

ALWAYS roor for a KU loss

Root for OU/OSU Ws UNLESS one of the above factors in.

Root for any Big 12 team not located in Kansas.

Technically, an OU W this weekend would have helped KU so, root for the L.

Very respectable from top to bottom.

ArrowheadHawk
03-06-2006, 05:03 PM
let us know how that roor is coming

PastorMikH
03-06-2006, 05:07 PM
Very respectable from top to bottom.

Yeah, similarly...

ALWAYS rooT for the Chiefs

ALWAYS rooT against the Donkeys and Chokeland (when both play each other, hope that both will somehow lose).

rooT AFC over NFC unless teams in #2 are listed.

HC_Chief
03-06-2006, 05:16 PM

And yet they are there anyway :D
RCJGKU! :KU:

ArrowheadHawk
03-06-2006, 05:41 PM
And yet they are there anyway :D
RCJGKU! :KU:
:thumb:

DJay23
03-06-2006, 05:59 PM
The way I saw it explained last year (when we split with OU) is that had we played OU twice, once at home and once on the road, and they beat us in both, then they would be the outright champs. But I guess the Big XII figured that homecourt is such a huge advantage, that to prove a team better when tied for first you'd have to beat them in their barn. Would Texas have beaten us in AFH? Who's to say, probably, but this isn't a philosophy class, it's real life.

Don't yell at us, it's the Big XII rules, we'll just keep collecting the trophies!

Saulbadguy
03-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Personally, i'd like to see the winner of the Big XII tournament become the champ. At this point, the tourney is only there to make money. The regular season "champs" will still be rewarded by getting a 1 seed, a first round bye, and the easiest draws. I'm tired of all these fake conference crowns and "co-champs".

CoMoChief
03-06-2006, 06:27 PM
Personally, i'd like to see the winner of the Big XII tournament become the champ. At this point, the tourney is only there to make money. The regular season "champs" will still be rewarded by getting a 1 seed, a first round bye, and the easiest draws. I'm tired of all these fake conference crowns and "co-champs".

With all do respect you wouldnt be saying that if KSU was in the position that Kansas is in now.

banyon
03-06-2006, 06:29 PM

They do get an automatic bid to the Big Dance.

It hasn't helped any Big XII teams so far, but it has in other major conferences.

I would hate for a team like Tx A&M or Iowa St. to get hot in the tourney, win 3 games and then be called the "Big XII Campions", when they sucked all year.

Saulbadguy
03-06-2006, 06:29 PM
With all do respect you wouldnt be saying that if KSU was in the position that Kansas is in now.
You are wrong. I would love for the tournament itself to mean more than it does now, which is for the most part, nothing. It lets the good teams improve, or worsen their NCAA seed, and lets the small teams try to strengthen their resume for an NIT bid.

This would ELIMINATE the fake/co-conference champs, due to the division of the "North" and "South" teams.

Like in football, you get rewarded for your regular season finish and get a shot at the Big XII title. It just makes sense.

Saulbadguy
03-06-2006, 06:32 PM
They do get an automatic bid to the Big Dance.

It hasn't helped any Big XII teams so far, but it has in other major conferences.

I would hate for a team like Tx A&M or Iowa St. to get hot in the tourney, win 3 games and then be called the "Big XII Campions", when they sucked all year.
1. They do get an automatic bid to the Big Dance if they win the tournament, but how many times has that happened where the team did not already have their dance card punched?

2. See above. "But it has in other major conferences." -Bullshit. It does in MINOR conferences.

3. If the team sucked all year, it would be a much tougher road for them to get to the semi's/finals.

4. I'd hate for a team to be called "Big XII Champions" when they get beat by the regular season champ. BTW- This has happened to Kansas State before too, and I called it a fake conference title. (Womens Basketball 2003-2004)

CoMoChief
03-06-2006, 06:37 PM
I thought MU did that a few seasons ago where they were a 6 seed in the Big12 tourney but made it to the finals or something like that. They might have been a bubble team that season I cant remember. That little run punched their dance cards.

lightsout04
03-06-2006, 06:39 PM
Vote Self for Coach of the year. Self did a hell of a coacing job with these young players. Congrates for co-Big 12 Title. :KU:

Saulbadguy
03-06-2006, 06:40 PM
No team lower than a 3(!) seed has won the tournament.

Missouri has made it to the finals once as a 10 seed and a 7 seed. Other than that, no team seeded lower than 5 (only once) has advanced to the finals.

Pretty one sided to me.

banyon
03-06-2006, 06:51 PM
1. They do get an automatic bid to the Big Dance if they win the tournament, but how many times has that happened where the team did not already have their dance card punched?

2. See above. "But it has in other major conferences." -Bullshit. It does in MINOR conferences.

3. If the team sucked all year, it would be a much tougher road for them to get to the semi's/finals.

4. I'd hate for a team to be called "Big XII Champions" when they get beat by the regular season champ. BTW- This has happened to Kansas State before too, and I called it a fake conference title. (Womens Basketball 2003-2004)

Last few times it happened:

2001: Iowa - Big 10 Champs 22-11
UNC-Charlotte - C-USA Champs 21-10 (when it was actually good)

2000: St. Louis- C-USA Champs 19-13
Arkansas- SEC Champs 19-14

FWIW, I am not against having a tiebreaker to determine the actual "conference champ", I'm just against calling the winner of the tourney the "champ".

Saulbadguy
03-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Twice in the last 6 years? 22-11 and 19-14 isn't terrible and could easily get you to the dance as well.

The C-USA is a minor conference.

Saulbadguy
03-06-2006, 06:55 PM
FWIW, I am not against having a tiebreaker to determine the actual "conference champ", I'm just against calling the winner of the tourney the "champ".
Why? I don't see why the actual champ has to beat the team it beat once already to prove itself champions in an extra game. Plus, what would happen if there were multiple ties?

DJay23
03-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Twice in the last 6 years? 22-11 and 19-14 isn't terrible and could easily get you to the dance as well.

Didn't used to be with Cincinnati and Louisville in there.

Saulbadguy
03-06-2006, 07:02 PM
True, but still doesn't change my point. In the Big XII, it would be an aberration for a lower seeded team to "get hot" and win the conference tournament and deemed champs, but IMO, that would justify the championship.

The NCAA hands out its championships via a tournament system, it doesn't hand out a title for the best overall record and/or ranking. Why not use the same system for the conference?

CoMoChief
03-06-2006, 07:02 PM

It was still very weak conference in comparison to all of the other 6 power conferences in the nation (ACC,SEC,BigE,BIG10,Big12,PAC10,) IMO.

WilliamTheIrish
03-06-2006, 07:08 PM
It's not BS, it a fact. Back in the days when you had good coaching, you were in the tournement often and got better than average talent. But the days of Fitsimmons / Hartman / Kruger are gone.

IMHO, the best coach you had since then was Altman, but he couldn't fit in and Kitten nation wouldn't allow him to fit in. Seems he has done well since his departure. If KSU had left him alone and made him feel welcomed , he could have done something there.

KSU needs to look at an up and coming coach from a smaller school that has a proven background. It's going to be hard to get a top line coach with the recruiting down as it is now.

Again, good luck and props for slipping past MU this past year.

Roy, no offense but...

Your and idiot. And I mean that in the kindest way.

Altman was given 4 years. Looking back, they may have seemed grand to you, but to me, they were 4 wasted years. Especially since Eddie Sutton called and asked for the job.
I love when fans of KU try to tell me what happened with Altman. It's hilarious.

Altman found his niche in the MVC. I'm happy for him. He's been so good there, he's turned down all of ZERO offers from BCS conference programs. He got beat out by the mighty Barry Collier for the UNL job.

He'll get another shot. But I don't think he'll be as successful as he was with KSU in the Big 8.

banyon
03-06-2006, 07:10 PM

Yeah, I said when it was good.

In 2000 it was the 5th rated conference, ahead of the Pac 10 and the ACC. It got 4 NCAA bids.

In 2001 it only got 2 bids in a down year.

Why? I don't see why the actual champ has to beat the team it beat once already to prove itself champions in an extra game. Plus, what would happen if there were multiple ties?

Because you are demanding that the highest seeded teams be on their game for that particular day. That's what the NCAA tourney is for. Plus, it doesn't help if you are Iowa St. and you gotta go to Dallas to play Texas in the Big XII tourney, or if you are Tx Tech and youhave to play KU in the Sprint Center. The NCAA is more location-neutral.

Saulbadguy
03-06-2006, 07:17 PM
Because you are demanding that the highest seeded teams be on their game for that particular day. That's what the NCAA tourney is for. Plus, it doesn't help if you are Iowa St. and you gotta go to Dallas to play Texas in the Big XII tourney, or if you are Tx Tech and youhave to play KU in the Sprint Center. The NCAA is more location-neutral.
So far, everything you are bringing up are also things that teams must face in the regular season. I'm offering a simple solution to the "co-champion" shit.

As for the NCAA being more location-neutral = bullshit. Maybe if you aren't a team named Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, or Duke. The NCAA sites go where the money is.

ROYC75
03-06-2006, 08:27 PM
Roy, no offense but...

Your and idiot. And I mean that in the kindest way.

Altman was given 4 years. Looking back, they may have seemed grand to you, but to me, they were 4 wasted years. Especially since Eddie Sutton called and asked for the job.
I love when fans of KU try to tell me what happened with Altman. It's hilarious.

Altman found his niche in the MVC. I'm happy for him. He's been so good there, he's turned down all of ZERO offers from BCS conference programs. He got beat out by the mighty Barry Collier for the UNL job.

He'll get another shot. But I don't think he'll be as successful as he was with KSU in the Big 8.

Coming off the heels of Hartman and Kruger, he had a tough act to follow. Kitty Nation expected the same results, but if IRC, Kruger didn't leave the cupboard full of talent when left town either. Dana had his work cut out for him. But yes, he was going down hill and the talent was going elsewhere.

Was it coaching or recruiting ? I can't answer, but I do know he has done well since he left KSU.

IMHO, I still say a young and upcoming coach that has had to deal with recruiting lesser talent is your best option.

BTW, idiot does not faze me, I have family and friends who call me worse. :D

DJay23
03-06-2006, 08:37 PM
It was still very weak conference in comparison to all of the other 6 power conferences in the nation (ACC,SEC,BigE,BIG10,Big12,PAC10,) IMO.
He called it a minor conference. America East, Southland, Patriot, those are minor conferences. I'd consider C-USA currently to be mid major with only Memphis as a legit power team. Under the old lineup it was a low major, high mid major if such things exist.

WilliamTheIrish
03-06-2006, 08:48 PM
Coming off the heels of Hartman and Kruger, he had a tough act to follow. Kitty Nation expected the same results, but if IRC, Kruger didn't leave the cupboard full of talent when left town either. Dana had his work cut out for him. But yes, he was going down hill and the talent was going elsewhere.

Was it coaching or recruiting ? I can't answer, but I do know he has done well since he left KSU.

IMHO, I still say a young and upcoming coach that has had to deal with recruiting lesser talent is your best option.

BTW, idiot does not faze me, I have family and friends who call me worse. :D

You know I meant no ill will with the CP lexicon.

As far as I'm concerned KSU must make a splash with this next hire. Last year, I was willing to go for Bruce Pearl (UWm). But KSU stayed the titanic course and - lo and behold - 6-10 in conference. (in what has to be the weakest Big 12 conference since it was formed.) Bruce Pearl? Oh he took a crummy Tennessee team and has them near the top of the SEC.
It's not that difficult to get inot the NCAA tourney. There is absolutely no good reason why KSU has sat dormant for 10 f'ing years in March.

NOW is the time to go get Huggins or Richardson. It brings immediate credibility to the program. And we know they can recruit.

I want Huggins. Everybody I know wants Huggins. He may be expensive, but the minute he's hired Bball tix will fly out of the ticket office. He's got baggage, and I'm willing to live with it.

Saulbadguy
03-06-2006, 08:51 PM
I echo that sentiment.

1. Huggins
2. Majerus
3. Richardson
4. HC at a winning mid-major program
5. Anyone else i've actually heard of

However, for some reason, I can't shake the notion that we won't go with any of those options.

Skip Towne
03-06-2006, 08:56 PM
I echo that sentiment.

1. Huggins
2. Majerus
3. Richardson

However, for some reason, I can't shake the notion that we won't go with any of those options.
Or, more likely, they won't go with you.

Saulbadguy
03-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Or, more likely, they won't go with you.
Cool, thanks for the blessing. One of those 5 will definately happen now.

:clap:

chiefsfan987
03-06-2006, 08:59 PM
Self wondering why Big 12 had a trophy for Texas but not Kansas

By DOUG TUCKER, AP Sports Writer
March 6, 2006

LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) -- When Texas beat Oklahoma 72-48 Sunday afternoon to clinch a tie with Kansas for the Big 12 championship, the Longhorns were handed a handsome trophy to hoist in a midcourt celebration.

The day before, when Kansas beat Kansas State 66-52 to clinch at least a tie with Texas, nobody from the Big 12 office was even at the game to congratulate them.

ADVERTISEMENT

The co-champions from Austin were pictured in newspapers and on television proudly displaying their Big 12 trophy. The co-champions from Lawrence merely got back on their bus and went home without so much as a handshake from anybody from the conference office.

Is a conference that is headquartered in the heart of Texas, whose officials all live in the Dallas area, betraying a Texas bias?

Kansas and Texas often wage fierce recruiting battles for the same prospects. Even the slightest edge -- such as getting your picture in the paper holding a championship trophy -- can prove telling.

Needless to say, Kansas coach Bill Self and many of his fans were taken aback, and a somewhat irate Self was on the phone Monday morning with Dallas.

He heard right back from them.

"The Big 12 called me and apologized," Self said. "They said they were sorry that our guys were not recognized, and that it was a mistake.

"Their response was, `Bill, we made a mistake.' They said their policy is you don't recognize a team and you don't send a trophy until after (a championship) is clinched. It was a mistake by the conference office that the trophy was allowed to get to a particular school."

A Big 12 official told The Associated Press the problem was with the trophy company in Oklahoma City.

"The trophy was inadvertently sent to Texas due to a miscommunication from our office," said Rob Carolla, director of communications.

Carolla said part of the confusion stemmed from the fact that no one was certain heading into the final regular-season weekend who would win the title. If Kansas State had beaten Kansas and Oklahoma had beaten Texas, then the Jayhawks, Sooners and Longhorns all would have tied.

"It was just a miscommunication with our office and that's why the error occurred," Carolla said. "Kansas will have a trophy tomorrow."

Self said he's satisfied the mistake will not be repeated.

"I hope the policy is revisited because any team in our league that wins a championship is deserving of being recognized, any sport," Self said. "Whatever championship it is, you should be recognized by your conference. Obviously, we were not."

Saulbadguy
03-06-2006, 09:04 PM
ROFL

Skip Towne
03-06-2006, 09:08 PM
Self wondering why Big 12 had a trophy for Texas but not Kansas

By DOUG TUCKER, AP Sports Writer
March 6, 2006

LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) -- When Texas beat Oklahoma 72-48 Sunday afternoon to clinch a tie with Kansas for the Big 12 championship, the Longhorns were handed a handsome trophy to hoist in a midcourt celebration.

The day before, when Kansas beat Kansas State 66-52 to clinch at least a tie with Texas, nobody from the Big 12 office was even at the game to congratulate them.

ADVERTISEMENT

The co-champions from Austin were pictured in newspapers and on television proudly displaying their Big 12 trophy. The co-champions from Lawrence merely got back on their bus and went home without so much as a handshake from anybody from the conference office.

Is a conference that is headquartered in the heart of Texas, whose officials all live in the Dallas area, betraying a Texas bias?

Kansas and Texas often wage fierce recruiting battles for the same prospects. Even the slightest edge -- such as getting your picture in the paper holding a championship trophy -- can prove telling.

Needless to say, Kansas coach Bill Self and many of his fans were taken aback, and a somewhat irate Self was on the phone Monday morning with Dallas.

He heard right back from them.

"The Big 12 called me and apologized," Self said. "They said they were sorry that our guys were not recognized, and that it was a mistake.

"Their response was, `Bill, we made a mistake.' They said their policy is you don't recognize a team and you don't send a trophy until after (a championship) is clinched. It was a mistake by the conference office that the trophy was allowed to get to a particular school."

A Big 12 official told The Associated Press the problem was with the trophy company in Oklahoma City.

"The trophy was inadvertently sent to Texas due to a miscommunication from our office," said Rob Carolla, director of communications.

Carolla said part of the confusion stemmed from the fact that no one was certain heading into the final regular-season weekend who would win the title. If Kansas State had beaten Kansas and Oklahoma had beaten Texas, then the Jayhawks, Sooners and Longhorns all would have tied.

"It was just a miscommunication with our office and that's why the error occurred," Carolla said. "Kansas will have a trophy tomorrow."

Self said he's satisfied the mistake will not be repeated.

"I hope the policy is revisited because any team in our league that wins a championship is deserving of being recognized, any sport," Self said. "Whatever championship it is, you should be recognized by your conference. Obviously, we were not."
I guess in the meantime we'll just have to look at our other 48 trophies.

Mr. Kotter
03-06-2006, 09:15 PM
I echo that sentiment.

1. Huggins
2. Majerus
3. Richardson

Huggins or Richardson at KSU would be sweet. That would be fun....heh.

leviw
03-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Huggins or Richardson at KSU would be sweet. That would be fun....heh.

They should go after Huggins with everything they got. What's there to lose at this point? They saved money by getting Prince, now use the left overs to get a big name basketball coach. LIKE HUGGINS!

But yeah, I bet we'll all have to Google whoever Weiser hires.

Skip Towne
03-06-2006, 10:09 PM
They should go after Huggins with everything they got. What's there to lose at this point? They saved money by getting Prince, now use the left overs to get a big name basketball coach. LIKE HUGGINS!

I doubt Huggins scares KU much. Just look at what KU has done to Bobby Knight. They owned Knight even when he was at Indiana.

WilliamTheIrish
03-06-2006, 10:15 PM

I refuse to think like that.

WilliamTheIrish
03-06-2006, 10:17 PM
I doubt Huggins scares KU much. Just look at what KU has done to Bobby Knight. They owned Knight even when he was at Indiana.

Knight's body of work stands way taller than anything KU has done.

Skip Towne
03-06-2006, 10:24 PM
Knight is a POS who KU has beaten like a drum. "Body of Work" or not. You only wish your shit school had anywhere near the "Body of Work" KU has.

WilliamTheIrish
03-06-2006, 10:47 PM
Knight is a POS who KU has beaten like a drum. "Body of Work" or not. You only wish your shit school had anywhere near the "Body of Work" KU has.

Knight won 3 NC's. On that alone, he's better than anything KU has done.

My 'shit school' has a great Bball tradition. Tradition that I want to see return. I'd take Knight as head coach in a second.

Skip Towne
03-06-2006, 11:42 PM
Knight won 3 NC's. On that alone, he's better than anything KU has done.

My 'shit school' has a great Bball tradition. Tradition that I want to see return. I'd take Knight as head coach in a second.
K-State would take the devil himself to try to be something. Good luck with that. K-State is K-State . Deal with it.

CoMoChief
03-06-2006, 11:42 PM

No. :shake: Bob Knight is one of the greatest coaches of all time, but he's not bigger than the basketball tradition of Kansas. Just another KSU fan's stupid comment.

DJJasonp
03-06-2006, 11:44 PM
There's a pretty good reason that the court will never be "roy williams court" or "bill self" court....nor will we have the "Self dome", etc etc.

Kansas is where it all started my friends....no one is bigger than the game itself

CoMoChief
03-06-2006, 11:50 PM
There's a pretty good reason that the court will never be "roy williams court" or "bill self" court....nor will we have the "Self dome", etc etc.

Kansas is where it all started my friends....no one is bigger than the game itself

Amen, Kansas has the biggest "family" in college basketball. Funny how the name on the court is the individual who invented the game of basketball. But I guess to KSU fans, Bobby Knight is bigger than that.

ChiefsFanatic
03-07-2006, 12:02 AM
Amen, Kansas has the biggest "family" in college basketball. Funny how the name on the court is the individual who invented the game of basketball. But I guess to KSU fans, Bobby Knight is bigger than that.

Naismith, Phog Allen, Dean Smith, Adolph Rupp, Larry Brown [Gold Medal, National Championship, NBA Championship] Roy Williams.

There are a lot of wins there. Does any other school have coaches like that involved with their program?

CoMoChief
03-07-2006, 12:23 AM
Naismith, Phog Allen, Dean Smith, Adolph Rupp, Larry Brown [Gold Medal, National Championship, NBA Championship] Roy Williams.

There are a lot of wins there. Does any other school have coaches like that involved with their program?

Not to mention some of the coaches that came from Rupp, like Pat Riley for instance.

Lzen
03-07-2006, 11:01 AM
2 things, Saul. I disagree with making the Big 12 Tourney Champ the Conference champ overall. A body of work over a 16 game schedule is much more impressive than a team that can get hot and win a 4 day tourney, IMO. Regardless of what has happened in the conference's short history, it is still always a possibility that a team that didn't have a very good record in the regular season could end up getting hot at the right time and winning the conference tourney.

You could end up with a conference champ with a .500 record or even a losing record. Frankly, that is not really fair to the team(s) that have earned it by playing well consistently throughout the season. I know football has a champ game but that is only between the North Champ and the South Champ. Who knows if KSU would've won it a few years ago had they had to play a tourney against all 12 teams.

Saulbadguy
03-07-2006, 11:05 AM
It hasn't happened though. I doubt it will happen. Plus, if a team can win 4 games in 4 days over the best of the Big XII, they deserve to be called Champions.

The North/South division sucks. Another thing I was pondering was having a full rotation. Each team plays each other twice, regardless of being in the north/south. No more co-champions.

ArrowheadHawk
03-07-2006, 11:10 AM
It hasn't happened though. I doubt it will happen. Plus, if a team can win 4 games in 4 days over the best of the Big XII, they deserve to be called Champions.
they would be called big 12 tournament champs and would have a guaranteed spot in the NCAA tourney

Lzen
03-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Another thing I was pondering was having a full rotation. Each team plays each other twice, regardless of being in the north/south. No more co-champions.

That wouldn't be a bad idea.

ArrowheadHawk
03-07-2006, 11:21 AM
That wouldn't be a bad idea.
that would be a great idea if they would make the nonconference season longer i say 22 conference games(2x for each team) and 13 non conference games. that would give each team 35 games per season.

Saulbadguy
03-07-2006, 12:13 PM
I just think they should do something to eliminate all the "co-championship" bullshit.

I also think they should do something to make the tournament mean more. JMO.

banyon
03-07-2006, 02:10 PM
Kevin Kietzman on 810 right now currently agreeing with Saul.

Don't know if that's good or bad.

Saulbadguy
03-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Kevin Kietzman on 810 right now currently agreeing with Saul.

Don't know if that's good or bad.
He must browse Chiefsplanet.

Saulbadguy
03-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Kietzman is 100% correct.

HC_Chief
03-07-2006, 02:15 PM
I just think they should do something to eliminate all the "co-championship" bullshit.

I also think they should do something to make the tournament mean more. JMO.

Like hmmmm, maybe play the tourney title game PRIOR to NCAA seedings?!

banyon
03-07-2006, 02:16 PM
Keitzman is 100% correct.

It's not a terrible idea.

But you are still 100% wrong about making the tourney champs the conference champs! :p

Saulbadguy
03-07-2006, 02:17 PM
It's not a terrible idea.

But you are still 100% wrong about making the tourney champs the conference champs! :p
That's fine. The only semi-valid reason is "a team might get hot!", but that hasn't happened. Yet.

Lzen
03-07-2006, 02:50 PM
That's fine. The only semi-valid reason is "a team might get hot!", but that hasn't happened. Yet.

You have not come up with a valid reason for making the tournament champ the overall champ, either.

Lzen
03-07-2006, 02:51 PM
Of course Kietzman is agreeing with Saul. They're both KSU fans. Kietz will take any position that is against KU.

Saulbadguy
03-07-2006, 02:54 PM
You have not come up with a valid reason for making the tournament champ the overall champ, either.
Well, the NCAA uses a tournament format to determine its champion.

It's more "it is better than the regular season title because:"...

Saulbadguy
03-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Of course Kietzman is agreeing with Saul. They're both KSU fans. Kietz will take any position that is against KU.
This rule would have hurt K-State in several instances as well in the past.

Lzen
03-07-2006, 02:58 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot my other comment I was gonna make earlier about KSU. I suggested to my FIL (KSU alum) the possibility of Bob Huggins being the next Wildcat coach. He did not take that too well. Totally against that and said something along the lines of he would protest the KSU AD. I wonder how other KSU alums react to that scenario.

Saulbadguy
03-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot my other comment I was gonna make earlier about KSU. I suggested to my FIL (KSU alum) the possibility of Bob Huggins being the next Wildcat coach. He did not take that too well. Totally against that and said something along the lines of he would protest the KSU AD. I wonder how other KSU alums react to that scenario.
Protest to the AD? Why? Because of his "baggage"?

To think we could have had Eddie Sutton, but passed because of his "baggage".

DJay23
03-07-2006, 03:37 PM
The North/South division sucks. Another thing I was pondering was having a full rotation. Each team plays each other twice, regardless of being in the north/south. No more co-champions.
This is a great idea. Instead of shortening non-con, eliminate the tournament all together. The conference champ gets the auto bid.

That would never fly though. The conference tournament pulls in a lot of money, and it will never go away.

CoMoChief
03-07-2006, 03:51 PM

He just wants another way that is possible for his team to get a trophy. I already said this but I'm going to say it again that you wouldn't be saying this if KSU had been in the same position this season as KU is. If KSU "tied" with Texas as the conference champion you, Saulbadguy would be rantin' and ravin' about how great this season is...KSU are the champions...KSU this....KSU that, which is fine. But you can't say you would sit there and honestly say "Well, KSU really aren't the champs of the conference."

Saulbadguy
03-07-2006, 03:53 PM
He just wants another way that is possible for his team to get a trophy. I already said this but I'm going to say it again that you wouldn't be saying this if KSU had been in the same position this season as KU is. If KSU "tied" with Texas as the conference champion you, Saulbadguy would be rantin' and ravin' about how great this season is...KSU are the champions...KSU this....KSU that, which is fine. But you can't say you would sit there and honestly say "Well, KSU really aren't the champs of the conference."
You're full of shit. It doesn't matter that KU is involved. It wouldn't matter if K-State was in a similar situation (which they have been). I'd want the rule change because I think it is overall better for the Big XII.

CoMoChief
03-07-2006, 04:14 PM
You're full of shit. It doesn't matter that KU is involved. It wouldn't matter if K-State was in a similar situation (which they have been). I'd want the rule change because I think it is overall better for the Big XII.

I dont believe you one damn bit.

Saulbadguy
03-07-2006, 04:19 PM
I dont believe you one damn bit.
Meh, believe what you want to believe. I'd much rather see KU win the conference outright than the arrogant cocksmacks from Austin, or the GD land thieves, but they did not. I call it like I see it.

CoMoChief
03-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Like your avatar btw, honestly I think Huggins goes to Indiana. Thatd be the best place for him.

Saulbadguy
03-07-2006, 04:28 PM
Like your avatar btw, honestly I think Huggins goes to Indiana. Thatd be the best place for him.
Danke.

BTW - Huggins will be on 810 Thursday morning. I honestly think Indiana goes after Alford.

CoMoChief
03-07-2006, 04:33 PM
Danke.

BTW - Huggins will be on 810 Thursday morning. I honestly think Indiana goes after Alford.

Ah, I forgot about him.

sedated
03-07-2006, 04:43 PM
KU hasn't really won the Big12 the last 2 years.

If you tie with someone that you lost the only head-to-head, you get 2nd place. period.

anyone who disagrees needs to take off the crimson and blue glasses, and remember this when the roles are reversed

Skip Towne
03-07-2006, 04:45 PM

If you tie with someone that you lost the only head-to-head, you get 2nd place. period.

anyone who disagrees needs to take off the crimson and blue glasses, and remember this when the roles are reversed
Shut up, n00b.

sedated
03-07-2006, 04:48 PM
Shut up, n00b.

that hurts :rolleyes:

ChiefsFanatic
03-07-2006, 05:04 PM

If it was a team that you play twice, and you lost both times, well then I might buy your arguement. But since we only got one chance at Texas, and it was on their home court, I believe the tie is valid.

Or, take into account the last two games against that team, in this case Texas. We did to them last year, what they did to us, and it would be a split.

Saulbadguy
03-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Thank goodness there is no AFC West "Co-Champions".

CoMoChief
03-07-2006, 05:13 PM

Hmm, that's funny. That's not what it's gonna say at Allen Fieldhouse. Maybe you should tell the Kansas Athletic department what you just said here. Maybe they'll listen to you. :shake:

leviw
03-07-2006, 05:33 PM

I'd agree with you except I can't get the image of the Big 12 Championship trophy they have given KU the last two seasons that had read:

"CHAMPIONS"

out of my head.

HC_Chief
03-07-2006, 05:38 PM
Hehe, I love all the squeeling and whining... "waaaaahh, they're not the <i>real</i> champions <font size=1>despite the fact that they are and have trophies and banners that say so</font>". :D

I bet it really kills you to see the big grin on COTY Self's face ROFL

RCJGKU :KU:
fu2dh8rs

DJay23
03-07-2006, 05:45 PM
I'm surprised more hasn't been made of Self's "Bush League" comment in regards to Texas getting a trophy after their win, but not us. Apparently there was a mix up and there should have been no trophy at either venue. The rule says that a trophy only goes if the team would still be at least tied for 1st with a loss. This was not the case, but a trophy was sent to one and not the other because of some new guy at the conference headquarters.

I don't like that Self whined about it publicly. Make your call to the Big XII office and take care of it that way. Saying something to the press is pretty gay. He should have (or should still) use it as extra motivation.

Hammock Parties
03-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Hehe, I love all the squeeling and whining... "waaaaahh, they're not the <i>real</i> champions <font size=1>despite the fact that they are and have trophies and banners that say so</font>". :D

I bet it really kills you to see the big grin on COTY Self's face ROFL

RCJGKU :KU:
fu2dh8rs

I love it, I truly love it. now here comes the pussycats insecurity whining about bucknell or finally beating us this year... typical of kstate fans

sedated
03-07-2006, 05:58 PM
If it was a team that you play twice, and you lost both times, well then I might buy your arguement. But since we only got one chance at Texas, and it was on their home court, I believe the tie is valid.

Or, take into account the last two games against that team, in this case Texas. We did to them last year, what they did to us, and it would be a split.

why would you even consider games that were played last year with 2 completely different teams?

that would mean that Simien, etc had influence on this year's team winning the Big12. and Aldridge and Tucker were both inactive for that game.

I'm the biggest KU homer in the world and I have no problem raising the banner, but I can't take pride in sharing a title with the team that brutally kicked our asses; wasn't even close.

I still haven't gotten that TX game outta my head, probably won't all year.

Saulbadguy
03-07-2006, 05:58 PM
ROFL

WilliamTheIrish
03-07-2006, 06:14 PM
No. :shake: Bob Knight is one of the greatest coaches of all time, but he's not bigger than the basketball tradition of Kansas. Just another KSU fan's stupid comment.

Mention Bob Knight and it's like a collective kick in the uterus of the KU fans on this board.
I never said anything about tradition. It's you folks who nearly prolapse you rectums at any perceived slight.

WilliamTheIrish
03-07-2006, 06:21 PM

1)BS

2)Then your FIL is part of the problem the leviw talks about. (apathy and settling for the status quo.) I can assure you he's in the minority.

3)And please, please send me the picture of him walking the sidewalk in front the AD's office when Huggy gets the job.

banyon
03-07-2006, 06:30 PM
Danke.

Well, having watched Memphis all these years and hating the S*&% out of him....

...I'm positive he'll be the next K-State or Mizzou coach. He's following me around.

In 1992, Huggins called Memphis fans sitting behind the visitors' bench "the most obnoxious people in America."

CoMoChief
03-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Mention Bob Knight and it's like a collective kick in the uterus of the KU fans on this board.
I never said anything about tradition. It's you folks who nearly prolapse you rectums at any perceived slight.

Probably it's more like what you posted was completely wrong.

Saulbadguy
03-07-2006, 08:35 PM
Well, having watched Memphis all these years and hating the S*&% out of him....

...I'm positive he'll be the next K-State or Mizzou coach. He's following me around.

In 1992, Huggins called Memphis fans sitting behind the visitors' bench "the most obnoxious people in America."
Awesome. I want a coach that opposing teams fans hate. 11 out of 12 coaches in the Big XII love Jim Wooldridge.

Spott
03-07-2006, 08:43 PM
I wonder if this means that KC will get an AFC West Championship banner for winning the AFC West back in 99 when we finished tied with Seattle at 9-7 but never beat them during regular season.

WilliamTheIrish
03-07-2006, 09:27 PM
Probably it's more like what you posted was completely wrong.

Having one of those heavy flow days, pimp[le]?

Nothing I posted was wrong.

Skip Towne
03-07-2006, 10:17 PM
It seems William has a dose of the gynosillicosis.

CoMoChief
03-07-2006, 10:47 PM
Having one of those heavy flow days, pimp[le]?

Nothing I posted was wrong.

I'm sorry Billy Boy, but you are wrong again.

phxchief
03-08-2006, 07:09 AM
that hurts :rolleyes:

What did you expect from that waste of life? Intelligence?

KC Jones
03-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Hmm... maybe Texas better turn over their co-championship claim to the better team. I guess our little friend phxchief is dissapointed he hasn't gotten any new wanking material lately. I suppose he's off beating his dog instead.

Lzen
03-12-2006, 06:37 PM

Hmm, what do you think about that now? :hmmm:

Lzen
03-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Thank goodness there is no AFC West "Co-Champions".

Well, I guess there might be if they only played the other teams in their division once. Bad comparison. Look, Texas had their chance to win it outright in their last 2 games, but they lost at Texas A&M.

Lzen
03-12-2006, 06:45 PM
I wonder if this means that KC will get an AFC West Championship banner for winning the AFC West back in 99 when we finished tied with Seattle at 9-7 but never beat them during regular season.

I guess if we had had only one chance to beat them and it was at Seattle then your comparison would've been valid, MUron.